Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Bozart posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a fictional story about an astronaut, or astronaut training, or both? I've read the martian and seven eves.

Does it have to be fiction? Because The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe is a classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my favourite essay is the one where Derrida discusses the shame (and the shame of being ashamed) of being naked in front of his cat

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Franchescanado posted:

Does it have to be fiction? Because The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe is a classic.

I was about to post this, word for word.

Also, if non-fictional is OK, I enjoyed Chris Hadfield's An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 27, 2017

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ulvir posted:

my favourite essay is the one where Derrida discusses the shame (and the shame of being ashamed) of being naked in front of his cat

Same but betta fish, I should probably look this up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bozart posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a fictional story about an astronaut, or astronaut training, or both? I've read the martian and seven eves.

Voyage by Stephen Baxter

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bozart posted:

there's this genre called science fiction that might have one of two of these iirc

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Return from the Stars by stanislaw lem

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I am looking for books that are:
•Fiction
•Written in the last 30 years or so
•Not by American or British authors (but available in English)
•Preferably weird or unsettling

A Roadside Picnic by some russian guy. Its closer to 40 than 30 though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It was written by two russian guys.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I am looking for books that are:
•Fiction
•Written in the last 30 years or so
•Not by American or British authors (but available in English)
•Preferably weird or unsettling

Older than 30 years, but anything by Stanislaw Lem.

alsothere
Oct 14, 2014
Taco Defender
What are some good non-fiction books about presidents, specifically for FDR, Nixon and LBJ?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

alsothere posted:

What are some good non-fiction books about presidents, specifically for FDR, Nixon and LBJ?

I don't care enough about LBJ to read three massive books about him but both of my friends who do swear by the Robert Caro books.

Doris Kearns Goodwin's stuff too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

alsothere posted:

Nixonland for one

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a series of books I can read that tell the entire story of the Alien universe? I've been heavily reading the Xeno wiki lately and the whole Engineers / Xenomorphs backstory is super interesting to me. I'd love a definitive series that went in-depth into how these two species came about etc. etc.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Loopoo posted:

Is there a series of books I can read that tell the entire story of the Alien universe? I've been heavily reading the Xeno wiki lately and the whole Engineers / Xenomorphs backstory is super interesting to me. I'd love a definitive series that went in-depth into how these two species came about etc. etc.

Jesus.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Pretty sure the Bible isn't the book he's looking for.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

alsothere posted:

Nixonland or One Man Against The World for, uh, Nixon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pretty sure the Bible isn't the book he's looking for.

but it is the book he needs

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

alsothere posted:

DeFrank's Write It When I'm Gone is all interviews with Ford, so not specifically about Nixon, but still about Nixon. Good book.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For FDR, Traitor to His Class is a good read.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I need a good book on Stalin

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

I need a good book on Stalin

Simon Sebag Montefiore is your man.

Young Stalin.
Staline: Court of the Red Tsar.

Read in any order, appreciate a well-written, well-research biography of a monster.

And if you don't mind going back in time a bit, and adding some Hitler to your Stalin: Hitler & Stalin: Parallel Lives by Alan Bullock.

All three books are really good and informative for your average layman (me), I'd think, although Bullock's harder to read.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

StrixNebulosa posted:

Simon Sebag Montefiore is your man.

Young Stalin.
Staline: Court of the Red Tsar.

Read in any order, appreciate a well-written, well-research biography of a monster.

And if you don't mind going back in time a bit, and adding some Hitler to your Stalin: Hitler & Stalin: Parallel Lives by Alan Bullock.

All three books are really good and informative for your average layman (me), I'd think, although Bullock's harder to read.

Excellent Now Mussolini?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Junkie Disease posted:

Excellent Now Mussolini?

I'm less confident about these recs as I haven't read 'em yet, but:

As I read and enjoyed this book (Mussolini's Italy) I feel alright in saying RJB Bosworth's biography of the man himself would be good. Mussolini.

That said, Mussolini: Rise and Fall of Il Duce is a higher result on the search on amazon, soooo. Hopefully someone better versed in this guy can chime in!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So the theme for this round of book selections in my book club is horror. My problem is, half the members (myself among them) just really do not like horror or respond to it. There's nothing spooky or eerie about old houses or clowns. What are some good books that I can put forward when it comes my turn to pick that have more going for it than just the horror aspect?

Right now I'm leaning toward Let the Right One In but I know literally nothing about the genre. It's a around or under 500 pages strongly recommended situation

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Haunting of Hill House.

Edit: I missed the part about "old houses".

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Epic High Five posted:

So the theme for this round of book selections in my book club is horror. My problem is, half the members (myself among them) just really do not like horror or respond to it. There's nothing spooky or eerie about old houses or clowns. What are some good books that I can put forward when it comes my turn to pick that have more going for it than just the horror aspect?

Right now I'm leaning toward Let the Right One In but I know literally nothing about the genre. It's a around or under 500 pages strongly recommended situation

If you want to play fast and loose with the definition of "horror" you can nominate something like In Cold Blood.

If you want to stick to fiction, I'd go with something like A Head Full of Ghosts or a book by Stephen King ('Salem's Lot or The Shining).

Edit: And your own suggestion is fine.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ornamented Death posted:

If you want to play fast and loose with the definition of "horror" you can nominate something like In Cold Blood.

If you want to stick to fiction, I'd go with something like A Head Full of Ghosts or a book by Stephen King ('Salem's Lot or The Shining).

These are great, and I'll add The Exorcist. Maybe also consider short story collections, like I Am Legend or Books of Blood. Especially consider short stories if you lean towards King.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

How about The Turn of the Screw? It's reasonably short and atmospheric. Some people find Henry James a slog, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

How about The Turn of the Screw? It's reasonably short and atmospheric. Some people find Henry James a slog, though.

If they "don't respond to horror" or "eerie old houses", I highly doubt they'll enjoy The Turn of the Screw, though I agree that it's atmospheric.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

These are great, and I'll add The Exorcist. Maybe also consider short story collections, like I Am Legend or Books of Blood. Especially consider short stories if you lean towards King.

Dude #1 already suggested a King book and I'd like to shift a bit

Normally I'd do a collection of short stories, but I get to pick the theme for next round and it's going to be "short story collections" so I can make them read The Birthday of the World :getin:

Good suggestions so far. I'll probably save In Cold Blood for if someone picks True Crime as a theme tho. Haven't heard of A Head full of Ghosts, will have to check that one out!

I should've mentioned that I'm leaning toward Let the Right One In also on the grounds that it's on my reading list already, and I could propose we all get drunk and watch the movie together afterwards

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Dude #1 already suggested a King book and I'd like to shift a bit

Normally I'd do a collection of short stories, but I get to pick the theme for next round and it's going to be "short story collections" so I can make them read The Birthday of the World :getin:

Good suggestions so far. I'll probably save In Cold Blood for if someone picks True Crime as a theme tho. Haven't heard of A Head full of Ghosts, will have to check that one out!

I should've mentioned that I'm leaning toward Let the Right One In also on the grounds that it's on my reading list already, and I could propose we all get drunk and watch the movie together afterwards

Nice. Let the Right One In is a really good choice.

I looked up my Goodreads horror shelf and the only other thing you guys might like is Something Wicked This Way Comes, which mixes existential horror with actual horror and it's pretty disturbing (despite being aimed at kids). The only caveat is that it takes place on Halloween.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ornamented Death posted:

I really really love The Shining. I haven't done too much horror but it's my favorite by far.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Epic High Five posted:

Bulwer-Lytton's The Haunters and the Haunted a/k/a The House and the Brain

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's another Stephen King book, but if you want some top-shelf horror you need look no further than Pet Sematary. This isn't a horror story of eerie houses and clowns. It's on an entirely different level from most of his horror books and this is the one that gets the most visceral reactions out of people. This is the Stephen King book that people say that they just can't reread.

My other suggestion would be some Richard Matheson short stories, because they're loving fantastic, but you want to avoid short stories this time around you said.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

It's another Stephen King book, but if you want some top-shelf horror you need look no further than Pet Sematary. This isn't a horror story of eerie houses and clowns. It's on an entirely different level from most of his horror books and this is the one that gets the most visceral reactions out of people. This is the Stephen King book that people say that they just can't reread.

My other suggestion would be some Richard Matheson short stories, because they're loving fantastic, but you want to avoid short stories this time around you said.

There's a lot going on in Pet Sematary. It's a dark satire of the American dream, addiction born from depression/grief, how a family copes with trauma, an exploration of man's struggle to live a life without hope of an afterlife, abuse, lingering effects from Vietnam/war in blue collar communities...There's a lot of heavy ideas beyond "What if the dead came back to life?" Firestarter also has a lot of really cool themes and ideas, and it's an insanely paranoid book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i've posted about it before, but william gay's little sister death incorporates supernatural horror elements (it's loosely based on the Bell Witch haunting) without getting bogged down in the tropes of the genre itself. its very southern gothic

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

just change the theme or pick an actual work of literature that is also scary

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Epic High Five posted:

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. It isn't supernatural, it's well written, and it's unnerving.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A human heart posted:

just change the theme or pick an actual work of literature that is also scary

Like what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Khizan posted:

This is the Stephen King book that people say that they just can't reread.

When I was in high school I went on a huge Stephen King spree, because my school library had a very extensive selection of his work. I tried to read all of his work in chronological order, and that worked great up until I got to Pet Sematery and gave up because I didn't want to see the cat die.