Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Red Bones posted:

I laughed at the bit in the Code Vein trailer where they are fighting a souls-esque 12 ft fall human enemy and it turns around and has a generic anime girl face. It's a way of rendering people that gets more and more jarring for me the more detail and 3d-depth is added to everything else in a game.

I love it as an unsettling art style that could be used well for a survival horror game or in a souls-esque game made by good devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of zestiria may well be the only time an anime adaptation of a video game has been a more interesting, well-structured story than the video game it is adapting, and i would recommend watching that instead of playing the game itself. it's still not perfect but it lends so much more weight to anything and more development for a bunch of characters than the game ever even attempted to do

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 2, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i'm still holding out hope for the crossbell games, the weird in-between duology of trails that takes place around the same point in time as cold steel and centers around you playing as a cop beating up criminals with cyber tonfas in a small city caught in a land dispute between two gargantuan nations

vesperia is not remotely connected to berseria. berseria is a distant prequel to tales of zestiria, but you don't have to play tales of zestiria and in fact probably shouldn't because there are only a few important connections and none of them are critical to enjoying berseria, and in fact add nothing but frustration. tales of zestiria is a very bad game and the only things you'll get from understanding the connections is an understanding of how much berseria had to mop up its mess

Cool thank you, i legit forgot the name of Zestiria which goes to show how much i enjoyed it before putting it down. Ill have to Pick up Berseria next time I feel a jrpg urge.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I hope Core Vein is good as a souls knockoff, but it better bring something new to the formula other than anime faces.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The Colonel posted:

i'd like to play it but it's the one monolith fps that never got ported to pc. rip

A drat shame. :(

Still, if Darksiders can come back from the dead, there's hope still!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

I hope Core Vein is good as a souls knockoff, but it better bring something new to the formula other than anime faces.

it will bring more music from the guy who gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXDCtfZpEQw

so that's almost enough to justify it existing

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I haven't played a single Dark Souls game so maybe I'll look into Code Vein

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you should grab dark souls 1 for five bucks in a steam sale if you're gonna gonna look into any of those kinds of games imo. it's a cheaper investment than buying something like code vein full price and possibly getting a less good game without knowing if you'll dig that kind of action rpg or not, i've been going through dark souls 1 for the first time through a lot of stuff and it holds up pretty well

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm half expecting God Eater Souls will forget to make your hits stagger enemies or something.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The enemies don't stagger in the trailer that was linked earlier (or really respond to being hit)

I also expect the reverse of Dark Souls ~lore~ and it will have lots of anime cutscenes with over exposition and melodrama

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Imho Dark Souls 1 is still the best souls game. The highs arent as high as Demons, but it's much more consistently high than low comparatively. The combat just wasnt as good in 2 and 3. I havent played Bloodborne but I think it's different enough to be considered separately from Souls games even though it's still rather similar.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Turn back, thread!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
bloodborne gives it a good run for its money though

bloodborne is so loving good, currently replaying as an all arcane build to see wtf happens

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
When all humanity is gone, you become permanently anime.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I could use some more free-flowing combat like in DMC (the good ones)/Bayonetta and am almost kinda sick of the really deliberate and constrained Souls-combat ATM. I wanna knock something into the air, follow it up there, smack it away, and then shoot something at it. Why can't that become a Hot Gaming Trend

Maybe it's my fault for plaing so much Dark/Demon's Souls/Bloodborne though

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lakbay posted:

The enemies don't stagger in the trailer that was linked earlier (or really respond to being hit)

I also expect the reverse of Dark Souls ~lore~ and it will have lots of anime cutscenes with over exposition and melodrama

The premise seems very rote: some mysterious disaster ended the world and made a bunch of monsters, and now some of the survivors have to do some superpowers to kill the monsters.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I love constrained and deliberate combat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love video games, I want there to be more of them.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I haven't played a single Dark Souls game so maybe I'll look into Code Vein

Shut up shut up before this thread turns into Dark Souls chat again.

Quick uuh...

Mario Kart 8 on the switch RULES.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jay Rust posted:

I love video games

Fly away, troll

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean I wasn't ever going to touch God Eater so the notion they're doing something I may actually want to play is appealing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Video games are a scourge and must be stopped.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I could use some more free-flowing combat like in DMC (the good ones)/Bayonetta and am almost kinda sick of the really deliberate and constrained Souls-combat ATM. I wanna knock something into the air, follow it up there, smack it away, and then shoot something at it. Why can't that become a Hot Gaming Trend

i think the fire lit by the dark souls flame in 2009 is actually waning ironically enough and beat em ups are poised to make a comeback with platinum getting some good press and more twitch based arena shooters showing up these days

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like it was for a bit there but sadly we just got games like god of war and its ilk

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Where's my goddamn DMC5 capcom.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The future is Dynasty Warriors.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't believe in video games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Where's my goddamn DMC5 capcom.

Watch out for Major Title.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Cowcaster posted:

i think the fire lit by the dark souls flame in 2009 is actually waning ironically enough and beat em ups are poised to make a comeback with platinum getting some good press and more twitch based arena shooters showing up these days

ugh gaming comes in cycles and i guess it's time for a Bad Cycle if this prophecy ends up true

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Growing up I was told a Vietnamese parable: hell is a bunch of starving people surrounding a bowl of rice who are unable to feed themselves because their chopsticks are too long to reach their mouth, while heaven is the same only everyone is well-fed because they feed each other.

MOBAs are also the same, only everyone uses their chopsticks to jab the other people in the eye because they want the rice all to themselves.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hideaki itsuno rising out of box labeled "dragon's dogma 2???": i have heard your prayers my gamers. you have called for the return of a legend. and so i give you

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

you should grab dark souls 1 for five bucks in a steam sale if you're gonna gonna look into any of those kinds of games imo. it's a cheaper investment than buying something like code vein full price and possibly getting a less good game without knowing if you'll dig that kind of action rpg or not, i've been going through dark souls 1 for the first time through a lot of stuff and it holds up pretty well

or you could wait until it comes out on Switch, since DS3 was reported as running on it a while ago in some leaks and From Software's name was on that 3rd party list.

DS1 on a Switch would be interesting, wonder if it would run at 60fps

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

I'm pretty done with dark souls lore so I'll take some dumb cutscenes

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Nioh had the dumbest cutscenes and it was great

"Dawn is Breaking"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the bigger problem is less going to be cutscenes themselves and more that god eater plot stuff is just pretty boring and this looks sort of similar

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Growing up I was told a Vietnamese parable: hell is a bunch of starving people surrounding a bowl of rice who are unable to feed themselves because their chopsticks are too long to reach their mouth, while heaven is the same only everyone is well-fed because they feed each other.

They both sound like kind of a bad way to spend eternity to be honest

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The Colonel posted:

i think the bigger problem is less going to be cutscenes themselves and more that god eater plot stuff is just pretty boring and this looks sort of similar

Yeah this. God Eater was boring plot-wise but that didn't stop it from constantly throwing long cutscenes at the player. Nothing nearly as fun as cat-watch, drunken ghost cat, and all the other silly stuff from Nioh.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

They both sound like kind of a bad way to spend eternity to be honest

Presumably the people in heaven are able to do other stuff because they're not busy spending an eternity trying to feed themselves

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
If you aren't willing to feed other people for eternity, then clearly you aren't pure enough to go to heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If I had to spend an eternity doing one thing it would almost certainly be eating, ideally very large quantities of bread.

• Locked thread