Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

What makes these so cool? I read through the algo list and... I don't get it. Is it the ASR?

having 4 simultaneous quantizers in 14hp (with built in turing machines) is mostly what makes it worth it for me. it has a bunch of other functionality that i haven't really touched (including a 2 channel step sequencer in the latest firmware).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

JamesKPolk posted:

What makes these so cool? I read through the algo list and... I don't get it. Is it the ASR?

[snotty response] Much like the Disting, it's euro nerds trying to get the maximum amount of functionality out of one module without any regard for interface or intentional design. Y'all are getting the Euro-world to "D-50" territory with the quickness. History repeating...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

crosspost from the homebuyers thread (go ahead and laugh)

What's a good starting hardware sequencer for a beginner? I currently have a Minilogue, Volca Kick and Volca Bass. Is the SQ-1 still the recommended or is it the Beatstep Pro?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Photex posted:

What's a good starting hardware sequencer for a beginner? I currently have a Minilogue, Volca Kick and Volca Bass. Is the SQ-1 still the recommended or is it the Beatstep Pro?

They're both really nice, just very different feature sets and price. I'd get the BSP so you can control everything from one place.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Transistor Rhythm posted:

[snotty response] Much like the Disting, it's euro nerds trying to get the maximum amount of functionality out of one module without any regard for interface or intentional design. Y'all are getting the Euro-world to "D-50" territory with the quickness. History repeating...

Fukken a man. Saw all those 2hp modules showing in the superbooth coverage fuuuck that.
I'll take the asys/doepfer/erica's of the euro world. If I were a little older I'd probably dump it for 5U just for sight's sake. Some labeling is straight up unreadable in anything but bright light.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Holy poo poo that 2hp MIDI is just what I need.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

Fukken a man. Saw all those 2hp modules showing in the superbooth coverage fuuuck that.
I'll take the asys/doepfer/erica's of the euro world. If I were a little older I'd probably dump it for 5U just for sight's sake. Some labeling is straight up unreadable in anything but bright light.

to each their own, i guess. i personally don't get along particularly well with the Disting because it's impossible to use without a cheat sheet (the mk4 might be marginally better in that respect), but the O+C works well for me because of the screen. just in terms of 4-channel quantizers i'm not aware of anything that comes close. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Photex posted:

You already have a sequencer in each of those devices. What do you want to do that you can't currently do by just chaining them up?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

More than 1 bar?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

You already have a sequencer in each of those devices. What do you want to do that you can't currently do by just chaining them up?

more than one bar, being a little more accurate with note selection on the volcas etc etc.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Photex posted:

being a little more accurate with note selection on the volcas etc etc.

That eliminates the SQ-1 as an option.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Not a glamorous response, but seriously consider grabbing a Roland MC-50 mk2 off of ebay or reverb. They're a classic workhorse sequencer that isn't too physically large and everyone on earth used to use them. They have two MIDI outs standards, an 808-style recording mode, and are just insane fast to work on and tight. I think the Squarp pyramid and other hot, sexy new sequencers barely offer anything more than these for 10X the price.

https://reverb.com/item/4574575-used-roland-mc-50-recording-equipment

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I think my monitor is dying. It's really quiet, makes a lot of noise, and changing cables, etc doesn't help.

I have Rokit 6 G2s right now. They're fine and I'm getting used to them but the new generation is different enough I'd have to upgrade both, and its harder to find singles of that gen now. Also, I'd rather not be here again.

Anyone have recommendations for monitors for bass-heavy electronic music? I'd like to stay as close to 200 dollars as possible - but what I'm seeing there is more Rokits and the Yamaha HS-series (and I'm reading reviews saying they're real bad for bass?) so I'm not sure if that's realistic. They don't need to be loud, just have a defined low-end and decent response elsewhere.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

JamesKPolk posted:

I think my monitor is dying. It's really quiet, makes a lot of noise, and changing cables, etc doesn't help.

I have Rokit 6 G2s right now. They're fine and I'm getting used to them but the new generation is different enough I'd have to upgrade both, and its harder to find singles of that gen now. Also, I'd rather not be here again.

Anyone have recommendations for monitors for bass-heavy electronic music? I'd like to stay as close to 200 dollars as possible - but what I'm seeing there is more Rokits and the Yamaha HS-series (and I'm reading reviews saying they're real bad for bass?) so I'm not sure if that's realistic. They don't need to be loud, just have a defined low-end and decent response elsewhere.

$200 total or each? I personally love my Rokit 6's and they have a solid low end. I also have a pair of Yamaha hs5's and they have a very flat response, with minimal low end.

breaks
May 12, 2001

If it's $200 flat and you really need low end my recommendation is just get some headphones. Sane dance music low end in a room costs thousands, you need speakers that get down to 40hz or less plus room treatment that gets rid of any deep nulls all the way down to that point and it's just not cheap to do that. Headphones have their own problems but they aren't as bad as not being able to hear what you're doing at all.

That isn't to say you shouldn't also have speakers, you should, but if you can back-and-forth it with the low end on headphones and everything else on speakers, the demands on the speakers and room are an order of magnitude less and at least that much cheaper.

If I had to choose one or the other I'd just go with headphones, but lots of people would disagree I'm sure so ymmv. Focal Spirit Pros are pretty much perfect if you can actually get a seal with them but the cup shape is so lovely that for most people they don't seal and you lose the whole bass end and so they're poo poo. M50/xs are not as good but at least seal properly on pretty much everyone. Or pick whatever headphone as long as it's solidly audible down to 40hz-, it doesn't really matter, you can learn to deal with anything as long as you can hear it in the first place. Just make sure you can actually hear what you need to hear before you pay for it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Oh yeah sorry as close to 200 flat as possible (if thats 400, so be it, but I hope its not), and I will be using these in a terribly treated + shaped room I don't have control over as one part of of a holistic solution involving headphones and car stereos et cetera.

The bass doesn't need to be very accurate but I want to be able to hear it without headphones while I'm working, even if I go there for the final pass. I'd also like to listen to like jungle and footwork stuff through them casually. I like the idea of lower bass response monitors, but too low becomes unusable for me.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I have Presonus Eris E5s (£130 for the pair) and they are savage accurate for the price, plus a bunch of room compensation options on the back. The range goes up to 8 inchers or there is a companion sub that you can get.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

$400 a pair for the JBL LSR308 is going to give you all the bass you could want. LSR305 are good value for money too. Worth a serious look.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Flipperwaldt posted:

$400 a pair for the JBL LSR308 is going to give you all the bass you could want. LSR305 are good value for money too. Worth a serious look.

Yup, I recently picked up a couple of the 305s and they're just fine.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I got a pair of the 308's a few months ago and they're great. Even the Volca FM shakes my entire room on these things.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's an interesting exhibition on in Berlin about the history of electronic instruments. They made it interactive as well - mostly they set up a few apps, but there was also stuff like a digital mellotron. I got to try a Push, which was neat, and a maschine, which might as well have been a nuclear plant control panel for all I could figure out what anything did. Interesting stuff and if you're quick you can grab a Linndrum and leg it through the emergency exit.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Awesome - those JBLs looked great, almost too good to be true...

There's a store downtown that looks like it stocks both 5s and 8s, a couple of the Yamahas (my other choice), and Rokits, so I'm thinking I'm gonna try to go and demo them. (Or hope against hope theres a cheap single Rokit 6G2 around). Hoping I can get away with a 5 inch speaker, but this way I'll know for sure - and I can return/warranty them if need be.

Anyway now its not passing audio, but it started making a sound kinda like a bad capacitor, so I think I'm gonna try that first, just in case...

BTW if anyone needs a reason to avoid Rokits next time, check this:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Shade-Tree-Repair-Guide-CracklingStatic-in-KRK-Rokit-6-Speakers-m3117829.aspx

e: and working almost normally (still hissing) after warming up for a few hours. Guessing the caps are to blame - I'm gonna replace em this weekend I think, I ~may~ be able to squeeze a bit more life out of em yet (and upgrade on my terms rather than theirs).

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 28, 2017

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's an interesting exhibition on in Berlin about the history of electronic instruments. They made it interactive as well - mostly they set up a few apps, but there was also stuff like a digital mellotron. I got to try a Push, which was neat, and a maschine, which might as well have been a nuclear plant control panel for all I could figure out what anything did. Interesting stuff and if you're quick you can grab a Linndrum and leg it through the emergency exit.

Where is it? I went to Superbooth and it was meh (since I'm not a fan of modulars)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Musikinstrumenten-Museum, here's the exhibition site: https://www.sim.spk-berlin.de/good_vibrations_1643.html I always expected that sort of thing to be there as a matter of course.

They have a few of the usual early days milestones on display (trautonium etc), one or two modulars including Frank Zappa's, some 80s drum machines and synths (808, Linndrum, Minimoog, DX-7), some MIDI wind controllers; interactive stuff includes the digital mellotron, Ableton w/ Push, Maschine, some iPhone apps, and this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgyAASXtZj8

There's a guided tour on Thursdays which is surprisingly long and in depth.

Now that I think about it there wasn't much on DJing. Suddenly that seems like a bit of an oversight.

e: they could have juxtaposed an old analog synth with a modern Minibrute or something just to show off the form factor, and I would have had an interactive station of a few Volcas, but it's "history of electronic music" not "history of analog synths". Plus, you do your exhibition in Berlin, you get donations from Ableton and Native :v:

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 28, 2017

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm looking for something to do drum duty in my studio setup, since I currently have nothing that really fills that niche. I'm having trouble figuring out what I want though-- drums and groove lines are not at all my strength, so I actually would like something that would let me kind of just mess around and experiment without getting the rest of the setup involved, for the sake of practicing. So something with an onboard sequencer would be great.

Problem is, I'm not really a big fan of standard 808/909 drum sounds, so that eliminates a lot of stuff like the Volca Beats, Roland stuff, and the Drumbrute. I'm thinking I may be happiest with something where I can load my own samples or something with a pretty robust drum synth built in. I've looked at the Volca Sample, and I like the workflow, but I'm not crazy with how complicated it is to get samples into it (unless that's gotten easier since I last looked). It'd be great if I could find something that I could record samples directly into the unit.

Ultimately though I'm just looking for anything that does unique drum sounds and has a good on-board sequencer. Any recommendations? If nothing else, I may save my pennies and wait til the Digitakt lands to see if that'll scratch my itch.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for something to do drum duty in my studio setup, since I currently have nothing that really fills that niche. I'm having trouble figuring out what I want though-- drums and groove lines are not at all my strength, so I actually would like something that would let me kind of just mess around and experiment without getting the rest of the setup involved, for the sake of practicing. So something with an onboard sequencer would be great.

Problem is, I'm not really a big fan of standard 808/909 drum sounds, so that eliminates a lot of stuff like the Volca Beats, Roland stuff, and the Drumbrute. I'm thinking I may be happiest with something where I can load my own samples or something with a pretty robust drum synth built in. I've looked at the Volca Sample, and I like the workflow, but I'm not crazy with how complicated it is to get samples into it (unless that's gotten easier since I last looked). It'd be great if I could find something that I could record samples directly into the unit.

Ultimately though I'm just looking for anything that does unique drum sounds and has a good on-board sequencer. Any recommendations? If nothing else, I may save my pennies and wait til the Digitakt lands to see if that'll scratch my itch.

The Sample has a pretty decent 3rd party editor in Caustic Editor for Volca Sample. Honestly, my biggest problem with the Sample is the tiny amount of memory it has. I don't even really mind that you can't (by default) control individual channels by MIDI. But that sample/memory size is really limiting its flexibility. And, I suppose, the ability to sample in the box would be nice...

I agree, though, the workflow is pretty decent.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Have you looked at the Analog Rytm? It's pretty spendy but has a great drum engine which you can layer with your own samples. Being an Elektron product it's pretty much built on it's sequencer (shame it won't do midi though).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bolange posted:

Have you looked at the Analog Rytm? It's pretty spendy but has a great drum engine which you can layer with your own samples. Being an Elektron product it's pretty much built on it's sequencer (shame it won't do midi though).

I have, yeah. I love how it sounds, but there too I think I might wait til we know more about the Digitakt (and the possible used Rytm sell-off after it drops) so I know which one will fit my needs better.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Look out for sampler enabled MDs as well, though they're getting close to RYTMs these days (for good reason!)

I've also heard good things about the Sonic Potions LXR, but it's a kit.

Anyone with Yarns: what's the slowest clock division it can output from external midi? The manual doesn't list the range, just that its adjustable.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Hay guys! I did a modular synth thing.

the sky says

The_Milkcat
Jul 25, 2009

HandlingByJebus posted:

Hay guys! I did a modular synth thing.

the sky says

Sweet sounds :D nice tracks overall on the channel frankly.

On another note:

Does anyone have experience in modifying a 5v/gnd circuit into a 12v+12v-/gnd eurorack format? or from 12v+12v-/gnd to 5v/gnd for that matter (if that's even possible)? I have been looking around on the googles but have yet to find something comprehensive regarding modifying existing circuits to the eurorack format.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

The_Milkcat posted:

Sweet sounds :D nice tracks overall on the channel frankly.

On another note:

Does anyone have experience in modifying a 5v/gnd circuit into a 12v+12v-/gnd eurorack format? or from 12v+12v-/gnd to 5v/gnd for that matter (if that's even possible)? I have been looking around on the googles but have yet to find something comprehensive regarding modifying existing circuits to the eurorack format.

Thanks!

WRT 0-5V -> -12V - +12V conversion, depends what you're trying to accomplish and what the circuit is. The easiest thing to do is buffer inputs and outputs with op-amps and have an internal power regulator that gives you the +5V you need for the initial circuit, but more details would help.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I spend most of my days arguing with myself over whether to buy the OP-1. I get more excited by the limitations than anything else - choice paralysis sucks. Anyone got positive/negative experiences with it that can push me one way or the other?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Plavski posted:

I spend most of my days arguing with myself over whether to buy the OP-1. I get more excited by the limitations than anything else - choice paralysis sucks. Anyone got positive/negative experiences with it that can push me one way or the other?

I bought one of the very first batch and it's been completely brilliant and gets better with every update. Be prepared to think of it as a closed system that's greater than the sum of its individual parts, rather than a collection of features that you're going to use with other pieces of gear.

The downside is, though I've babied mine for six years now, one of the buttons completely stopped working and then the recent OS update completely bricked it to the point where I have to mail it to them to be fixed.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Help me synthgoons, I just got a real adult job that pays more than I have ever made in my life. I want to buy a nice (I hate this term but it fits) "flagship" synth for my studio setup, ideally something that is gonna be a great go-to for a wide range of sounds. I cannot for the life of me decide what it should be though. I can spend maybe a maximum of $2k USD or right around there...

Anybody know of any reasons I should rule out any of the following? I'm looking for something immediate & responsive that is very playable and musical, but that can also extend into batshit-crazy sound territories. I love the sound of all of these so I'm mostly looking for reasons why I might want to narrow down the list by eliminating a few... I've not had the chance to spend more than maybe 10-15 minutes with each of these.

-Moog Sub 37
-Arturia MatrixBrute (already bottom of the list cuz I love how it sounds but it's Arturia and that worries me)
-Elektron Analog Keys
-DSI Pro 2
-Sequential Prophet-6 or Prophet 12 module
-Novation Peak

Any reason I shouldn't be looking at any of those? I can get over the lack of a keyboard for modules, I have a MIDI keyboard I'm very happy with.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Matrixbrute. Truly the first "analog workstation."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Matrixbrute. Truly the first "analog workstation."

I can't tell if this is intended to be sarcastic, honestly.

I have friends who do essentially field testing for a bunch of companies, Arturia included, and their consensus on it was "It creates some fantastically weird sounds, but I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Also it's huge and some of it feels very cheap."

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

Help me synthgoons, I just got a real adult job that pays more than I have ever made in my life. I want to buy a nice (I hate this term but it fits) "flagship" synth for my studio setup, ideally something that is gonna be a great go-to for a wide range of sounds
Any reason I shouldn't be looking at any of those? I can get over the lack of a keyboard for modules, I have a MIDI keyboard I'm very happy with.

Not a sarcastic answer: save your money :retrogames:

I'd go Peak, having never touched one, on paper it's hot poo poo.
Things I have touched-
P12 module, sounds better than people say. UI is not terrible but I wouldn't call it immediate, pages on pages BUT you get modulation like a waldorf.
P6 module, it's really not a complex synth, it's loving great and probably my favorite current poly (outside of the OB6) but its is not an especially deep architecture. Even just adding multi-timbrality (P12 has it!) would've go a long way.
A4, god drat it's cheap these days just get that. Loads of osc, multi-timbral, modulation, great sequencer, CV out, weaknesses are definitely the 'novel' filter layout and fiddly knob precision. If you like the taste of the kool-aid though...

fake edit- ESQ is the first analog[sic] workstation :colbert:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Speak of the devil, soniclab put up a 'no talking' peak video today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just picked up a Minilogue last week and love it, that oscillator section is so damned powerful. Now I think I want to sell off my Analog Fou

Startyde posted:

A4, god drat it's cheap these days

Ahhh gently caress