Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It has probably happened more recently than I can remember, but it would feel super weird if we went through a full offseason with no coaching changes. Hoiberg is the only one that seems to be in any danger right now. All the bad teams are at various stages of a rebuild where a new coach wouldn't help anything, and (outside of the Bulls) it doesn't feel like any of the middling teams significantly underachieved to justify firing the coach.

On announcer chat, I'd take Reggie over Mark Jackson any day. Reggie tries to do his job well, he's just kinda dumb. Mark Jackson is dumb, whiny, passive-aggressive, and has no self-awareness.

zoux posted:

I'm not sure there's a color guy in the NBA that approaches how terrible color commentators in the NFL are.

This is probably because most NFL color commentators have early onset dementia from CTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Blind Pineapple posted:

On announcer chat, I'd take Reggie over Mark Jackson any day. Reggie tries to do his job well, he's just kinda dumb. Mark Jackson is dumb, whiny, passive-aggressive, and has no self-awareness.

Reggie Miller is two or three of those four and also has a stupid voice and also is Reggie Miller. Reggie remains my pick for the worst.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Lowtax isn't happy with the cash coming from people buying red text avatars anymore.

So he decided to have the NBA thread be sponsored by Gatorade.

wow, I really need you to get a bobby portis av back asap

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Reggie is way worse than Mark Jackson (still #2) to me, but I also think Mark Jackson's catch phrases are kind of funny

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

humpthewind posted:

I watch summer league every year hoping these two make a triumphant return

those Dante and Galante summer league broadcasts are the only entertaining things to ever come out of Orlando

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Honestly, Reggie (or any other announcer) could snore into the mic for full games and I'd probably still rank them higher than Jackson once I remembered "the great ones tell their body not today."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
:shrug: I don't mind Reggie, but his voice can get annoying sometimes and he does say stupid stuff. I loving hate Mark Jackson with a passion though. The college guys on ESPN are way worst though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I have heard Reggie on Podcasts and interviews not sound like an rear end in a top hat. He might not be great at his job, but he still seems pretty cool outside of it.

I have never heard a moment of Mark Jackson where he wasn't sounding like an rear end in a top hat.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 2, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Count Mippipopolous posted:

I have a confession:

I like Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy as announcers.

Breen Jackson and JVG are a great trio. Reggie Miller is awful, he combines talking too much with being an idiot. Terrible.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The worst thing about Jackson is how he regularly derails Van Gundy, a generally insightful and likeable announcer, with his stupid tangents and asides that have very little to do with the game. JVG will point out how team a are defending the pick and roll poorly and need to change their scheme only for Jackson to barge in about how JVGs suit is crumpled tonight and he didn't iron it could he not find the iron in the hotel room hohohohoho or some similar bullshit and they yak it up for two minutes whilst the game goes on JVG never comes back to finish his point.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 2, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all like Hubie?

The more X's and O's a guy is the more I like him, the more "grit and guts" a guy is, the less I like him. Generally speaking.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
reggie miller is terrible

to me he sounds like he was given a list of stupid talking points and instead of trying to naturally work them into the commentary he just straight up reads them on air. no one sounds more like a shill/company man more than reggie, to me.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

JVG will point out some things and be good, but then he will rant for 5 minutes about a star not getting a call while ignoring every other time it happens. I liked Webber, Doris and Webber for all games.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

zoux posted:

Y'all like Hubie?

The more X's and O's a guy is the more I like him, the more "grit and guts" a guy is, the less I like him. Generally speaking.

I love Hubie but I could see finding him annoying. He talks too much, points out basic basketball stuff as if it's insight, but he's having fun and clearly loves basketball

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What does hand down, man down mean

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does hand down, man down mean

are you actually asking?

cuz, i'll answer i just don't want to answer if you're using the question to point out that mark jackson has silly catchphrases

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I used to like JVG but he spends so much time complaining about every god drat thing

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

I guess I find it surreal and enjoyable when the Breen, Jackson, and Van Gundy group argue about caramel apples being sold in stadiums for three minutes of a NBA basketball game.

Doris Burke and Bill Walton are the dream team, though.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I find Mark Jackson tolerable only because it must make him mad that the Warriors blew all the way up and are so much better without him as coach; I love me some good schadenfreude

Hubie is a good announcer because it's obvious he still knows a ton about the game, but he is getting up there in years :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

RaySmuckles posted:

are you actually asking?

cuz, i'll answer i just don't want to answer if you're using the question to point out that mark jackson has silly catchphrases

I am actually asking. I assume it is about defense but I never got the man down part

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am actually asking. I assume it is about defense but I never got the man down part

if you don't raise your hands to contest a shot then you're not defending a shot in any way

that "man down" part is just for the rhyme, but its really that simple. when someone shoots, put a hand up, otherwise you're not in the play at all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a boxing thing, if you keep your hands down, then you are getting knocked out. Wordsmith Mark Jackson is applying it to basketball.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem is that half the time, he says it with the defender clearly having his hands up

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It's a boxing thing, if you keep your hands down, then you are getting knocked out. Wordsmith Mark Jackson is applying it to basketball.

oh, cool, i didn't realize it had a different source

makes sense for boxing

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I love Doris Burke.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

pubic works project posted:

I love Doris Burke.

http://i.imgur.com/gcHM9Ww.gifv

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

My pants are getting tight!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

At this point rather than having announcers I'd rather hear what's being said in the owners suites or have the coaches be miked all 48 minutes. It'd be a lot more enlightening than hearing the hackneyed catchphrases and superfluous chatter for the thousandth time. Leave that junk for the new newcomers.

Mark Jackson reached a new low when he was praising Rondo for a long time for not quitting on the Bulls etc. So much empty, hollow praise. Dude played like trash for most of the season and then gets mountains of praise for showing up to a couple playoff games.

alansmithee posted:

Also, why doesn't Lue and the Cavs coaching staff get any credit for their high-powered offense? You hear tons about Dantoni, and Kerr and others but the Cavs coaches never seem to come up, even though their offense is obviously top tier and they gun threes as much as anybody. Is it just because everyone assumes it's all Lebron's doing or what?

The Cavaliers easily being the best 3P team this season is one of the underreported stories.

Kawhi's been the #1 shooter by far in the playoffs while LMA, Gasol, Green and Ginobili have all been negative shooters through seven.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I used to like JVG but he spends so much time complaining about every god drat thing

Yeah he's really whiny.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/celtics/status/859515464363507712/video/1

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

IT looks sweet in those sunglasses :c00l:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hey guys what's Anthony Bennett up to

quote:

Former No. 1 NBA Draft pick Anthony Bennett has hit another bump in his professional career. Bennett, drafted first overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2013, was already out of the NBA. And after this week, he's off his pro team in Turkey as his Turkish Basketbol Süper Ligi (BSL) squad cut him during its playoff turn.

oh

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Word on the street is they had to fumigate the arena after he ripped a bunch of nasty kebab farts in there

Eltoasto posted:

IT looks sweet in those sunglasses :c00l:

heh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Hey guys what's Anthony Bennett up to

oh

I mean Otto Porter, the most pro-ready player in the draft, is just now starting to look like not a total piece of poo poo, so the 2013 Draft is just cursed (also Cleveland is still loving dumb)

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

alansmithee posted:

The only issue that I could even theoretically see is Durant gumming up the offense with his ball-stopping (which I always thought ironic how talking heads talked about Russ not wanting to share the ball and not having a pass-heavy offense in OKC where Durant often does the same in GS, but w/e). But even then you're having the ball stopped by like one of the top 3 offensive dudes in the league so it's still kinda whatever. They're almost a comically stacked team.

yeah, this isn't true.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
More NBA Playgrounds gameplay. Gameplay doesn't look as tight as NBA Jam On Fire Edition. Hopefully this is good and not loaded with micro transactions. Comes out next week so we will know soon enough.
Lol at the teams used to show off gameplay. Reggie Jackson and Kris Humphries vs Harrison Barnes and Harrison Barnes. The commentary is worse than Jam or Street. Gameplay starts at about 4:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zII2BpVlvLM

Everyone looks to be about the same height. So many little things feel off about this video.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 2, 2017

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
In honor of his illustrious career, let's all share our favorite Anthony Bennett moments.

Mine was when I made the mistake of venturing into the comments of the reddit post about the Love/Wiggins trade and saw a bunch of Timberwolves fans genuinely excited about getting him lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sheriff posted:

In honor of his illustrious career, let's all share our favorite Anthony Bennett moments.

Mine was when I made the mistake of venturing into the comments of the reddit post about the Love/Wiggins trade and saw a bunch of Timberwolves fans genuinely excited about getting him lol

Anthony Bennett losing at horse to an old man and admitting he couldn't shoot
https://youtu.be/8JZr_GKwmtY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Imagine getting the number 1 pick and drafting Anthony Bennett.

• Locked thread