Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah I wish I had gotten a real engineering degree but eh sailing caters to my love of vacation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I paid about $700 in tuition for a diploma in nautical science, including stcw, gmdss and all that poo poo. If you count cadet pay (lol) I actually made money studying.

My summer job third year paid $23 an hour. When I graduated, the week after I passed my certification exams, I had a job that paid something like $70k a year, for something like seven months of work. It's about ten years later now and I'm looking at six figures in a climate-controlled office. I could be making more if I was on a boat, but not enough more that it'd be worth being on a boat.

So yeah, the ROI's pretty good. My response rate to resumes is pretty close to a hundred percent too, if you include the unsolicited recruiters. Something like 75% otherwise.

And I've never had to clean a scavenge space or a vacuum tank. Suck it, morlocks.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is an office that much less work day to day than fieldwork/shipping that working so much of the year comes out ahead? Our office guys at the supply boat company were up until 2am taking our dumb phonecalls and then up at 5am 7 days a week for the morning conference call so the vessel managers and stuff put in even more hours than the captains and chiefs rofl (for less, 52 weeks a yr)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't take that kind of jobs, thank you very much.

Most I ever worked was sixty hours a week plus some phone calls outside of that, and that was Crunch Time. Most of the time it's like forty hours a week and I'm home by 17:30. Also a lot of office "work" is chatting with colleagues and checking Facebook.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Seriously, "social media based market intelligence." Thank you Brown Moses.

Also a reminder not to post dumb stuff online, the office is watching.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I have never had an office job, luckily I'm wholly unqualified for one anyway

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

I don't take that kind of jobs, thank you very much.

Most I ever worked was sixty hours a week plus some phone calls outside of that, and that was Crunch Time. Most of the time it's like forty hours a week and I'm home by 17:30. Also a lot of office "work" is chatting with colleagues and checking Facebook.

suck my dick from the back

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'm sorry, was I being insensitive to the plight of the private yacht worker?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i don't think i've ever worked a 60 hour week at sea

like ever

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I think I've done one or two 56 hour weeks.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Lmao I work an 82 hour week if I want to max my overtime.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Think of that the next time you call the office and the guy is too busy to give you an answer :smugdog:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I do 60 to 80 regularly :(

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Max OT would be 84 and I know I've written in for more hours than that, you are leaving money on the table!

Edit: I'm so loving glad I'm going to grad school! BST revalidation next week cause I'm dumb and can't check the renew box when I upgrade and then off to reflag!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm in grad school while doing 60-80 :(

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Gross! I skipped the online ones and went with full time. My local rep is doing online while working and it was difficult. I think there is more to be gained full time but it's going to be a little problematic financially. I have all my money locked up in vacation and converted OT so I can carry benefits through what is hopefully only a 3 year or less program for 2 masters.

College sucks the first time, the second time I intend to get something out of it and maybe enjoy it a little as well.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
What kind of major are you doing? I'm still trying to figure out what my core skillset of "Drives boats good" leads into in the shoreside world.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Anything that gives you a touch of commercial / management creds, then you can hop into operations management, chartering, that kind of stuff. With decent experience you can do cargo supervision type stuff.

Don't go into technical management (eg superintendent), that's engineer country.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I'm doing both an MBA/Engineering Management. If you don't have a specific interest then general management degrees like those are a good place to start. Coming out with upper management experience such as 1st and chief, a post grad degree isn't really necessary. However, it can move things along quite a bit as well as give you a much larger network since academies are quite small. It also gives you a different perspective as shipboard experience tends to focus things.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Also office people don't understand tickets, they understand degrees.

I had to explain to someone recently that working two weeks on / two weeks off isn't "part time".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

What kind of major are you doing? I'm still trying to figure out what my core skillset of "Drives boats good" leads into in the shoreside world.

ITM, International Transportation Management, SUNY has a decent program that can be completed entirely remotely. The information systems and supply chain classes are the best courses. Bulk cargo classes were worthless.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Several of the academies have started up similar programs. I know quite a few people have gone through CMAs program and said it was decent. I just felt a little incestuous going back there for post grad as well, plus I felt there was more to be gained branching out and getting a bigger network and a different perspective.

The programs are fine but the knowledge itself is only around 50% of the reason to go back so it's something to consider when looking.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah if at all possible, go to a completely different school for advanced degrees. A big part of getting the job I have was that I have two of the country's biggest marine school on my resume.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

And both sets of alumni jobs

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Also try to make your employer pay for it. Seriously don't pay for it yourself if you can avoid it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

Also try to make your employer pay for it. Seriously don't pay for it yourself if you can avoid it.

For serious.

Or at least get an easy job where you can write papers on the clock.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I wish. Union won't pay for it despite desperately needing management degrees throughout its leadership structure. Should get away with two degrees for under 50k though so I don't feel absolutely awful about it.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Aberdeen! Long time, no see. I haven't been here since 2011.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

afen posted:

Someone is compensating for something.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don't eat at Dennys (got food poisoning there). Sucher and Sons is cool if you like star wars. The craft distillery makes good whiskey.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

afen posted:

Curious as to the reason behind the lack of a forecastle, or really any kind of forward deck? Guess that ship sees a lot of garbage weather? Built for large waves coming over the bow on the regular? It appears some kind of Norwegian magic is at work here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
That's an offshore supply vessel, does all sorts of stuff for rigs, not sure why it would need a focsule but it has one, its just covered. It has a long, flat main deck aft of the house with like a big rear end winch for hauling rig anchors and poo poo and sitting supplies on. They want that house as forward as possible since they dont need to use the area in front for cargo, just lines, living quarters and machinery. The covered focsule is cause its going to see weather for sure. That one would be working in the North Sea so gently caress that, I get sea sick. It's a tug that's been blown up to like 300' and had the horsepower jacked up on.

I've never been anywhere near OSVs or rigs so someone else will have to clean up after me.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 7, 2017

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Doesn't look like much of a winch on it for anchor handling probably a psv with alot of deck space and a baby 100t on it for small winch jobs.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's a big anchor handler with the winches mostly enclosed and a folding A-frame according to this remarkably thorough brochure

http://www.klineoffshore.no/files/KL-Saltfjord_300812.pdf

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah I couldn't have been more wrong it has almost a 400t bollard pull and two 600t winches

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

flashman posted:

Yeah I couldn't have been more wrong it has almost a 400t bollard pull and two 600t winches

LOL, doncha love that? I've been dead wrong about ships in the past, specifically the Viking Poseidon.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

flashman posted:

The fully enclosed stuff throws off the scale I think, I remember the big foreign boats in Fourchon just looking bigger and bigger the closer they got

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I really miss Aberdeen. Going for a stroll, hitting up Poundland for 3-for-£2 Milka bars. Now I'm in Angola where you're liable to get arrested if you so much as visit another ship quayside.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
drat I was pretty much spot on. That boat in its cradle sets the size perspective and then there's the fact that the house takes up half the ship. That things built to do some loving work. The PSVs I've seen usually aren't as built and have a longer working deck with a smaller house/deck ratio. Those 16V32's are pretty burly, I worked on some similar 20V34sg's in a power plant ashore.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Ive only worked on a 722 hull with 170t pull and one 400t tow winch and that could do deepwater anchor work and poo poo, it must be a breeze with all that power.

• Locked thread