Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Mods ban this outed troll!!!!!

what did I do to troll? Say that it's a bad filler episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I don't get it

Yes, that much is obvious

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Your an idiot

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The goony edgelord who got mad about the trampoline scene had bad opinions. What a shock!

Urrr, durrr, ALL STORIES HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE IN A TRANSCENDENT WAY OR ELSE ITS BAD HURRRRRR

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matt Zerella posted:

The goony edgelord who got mad about the trampoline scene had bad opinions. What a shock!

Urrr, durrr, ALL STORIES HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE IN A TRANSCENDENT WAY OR ELSE ITS BAD HURRRRRR

That's not what I'm saying at all, I have always said that I enjoy the show as superficial entertainment (except for season 1, which has more to offer).

However, there were people here who were adamant that the show has more to offer than superficial entertainment, and I don't agree after season 1.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

oliwan posted:

That's not what I'm saying at all, I have always said that I enjoy the show as superficial entertainment (except for season 1, which has more to offer). However, there were people here who were adamant that it was more than that.

It's a show. We caught up with a character we haven't seen in a while and it looks like whatever he's been up to is going to tie in. If you didn't like it, that's fine but maybe go back and read your posts and see why people are reacting to your awful posting style the way they are.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
You know that MA you got? Give it back.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, yes, the step from "enjoyable" to "good" for me is that it has an intelligent literary quality to it, like the wire, or mad men, or Fargo, or even the good wife.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Matt Zerella posted:

It's a show. We caught up with a character we haven't seen in a while and it looks like whatever he's been up to is going to tie in. If you didn't like it, that's fine but maybe go back and read your posts and see why people are reacting to your awful posting style the way they are.

It's a show, so we can't expect high standard? Is that what you are saying?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

oliwan posted:

STOP
WASTING
YOUR
BREATH

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

oliwan posted:

It's a good show that's entertaining to watch. The gently caress are you looking for here?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You guys this easy to hook?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

STOP
WASTING
YOUR
BREATH

:golfclap:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*Throws beer bottle on the floor and punches the wall*

*sobs*

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

*Throws beer bottle on the floor and punches the wall*

*sobs*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

*Max Richter's haunting Leftovers theme begins to play*

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

oliwan posted:

Oh and with some christian bullshit thrown in too boot. I dont enough about the aboriginal situation in Australia right now, but something tells me this is loving offensive too.

You're loving offensive.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

oliwan posted:

Also, yes, the step from "enjoyable" to "good" for me is that it has an intelligent literary quality to it, like the wire, or mad men, or Fargo, or even the good wife.

Lmao @ mad men and the wire

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Was The Good Wife about a wife who was good or a wife who was ironically bad or a husband but they called her good or a wife to be sarcastic?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

oliwan posted:

Defend these shows to us.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

oliwan posted:

Oh and with some christian bullshit thrown in too boot.
Are you broken? When Matt corrects Sr about some bible thing Sr responds with "Thats loving stupid"

And the Christian themes have been a part of the show since it started. Did you watch season 2? It takes place in the Jarden of Eden and has a charater named EVE-EE who is tempted by a Meg into casting herself out of Jarden.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

oliwan posted:

That's not what I'm saying at all, I have always said that I enjoy the show as superficial entertainment (except for season 1, which has more to offer).

However, there were people here who were adamant that the show has more to offer than superficial entertainment, and I don't agree after season 1.

I'm not some artistic scholar or TV savant, but if you don't think this show is anything more than superficial entertainment with no literary qualities you need to get off your high horse and give up on TV altogether.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

UmOk posted:

Are you broken? When Matt corrects Sr about some bible thing Sr responds with "Thats loving stupid"

And the Christian themes have been a part of the show since it started. Did you watch season 2? It takes place in the Jarden of Eden and has a charater named EVE-EE who is tempted by a Meg into casting herself out of Jarden.

Real talk I didn't notice this

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Christian stuff is there from Season 1 -- that entire baby Jesus thing in episode four makes it very clear, in case the Rapture parallels and the fact that one character is a priest only register as generic religious background noise.

But I guess the poster above me is specifically referring to the Jarden/Evie analogy.

I'm not the biggest fan of it, personally, but it's a compromise I'm not resistant to.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

oliwan posted:

I'm sorry, but the lost ending was the worst ending to anything i have ever read or seen. I say this with a postgraduate degree in literature.

I might not be able to ever get a job in my field, or any job, but at least i get to have very confident opinions about stories. I'm 33 years old and this has gotten me through.

(I still liked lost up until the final season)

oliwan posted:

Like i said before, i have an MA in literature, I'm an English teacher, i have lots of experience with listening to arguments about storytelling, thematics, etc. Please tell me why you think this was a good episode.

Glad you got a job. I feel sorry for your students

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Glad you got a job. I feel sorry for your students

Oh poo poo. I just noticed that this was the weird MA in literature english teacher poster. I'm pretty sure he/she is a troll now if the Christian themes went over his/her head until this last episode.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah it's an obvious troll. don't engage

nopants
May 29, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Mods ban this outed troll!!!!!

get em out of here. get em out! we knew how to handle guys like this in my day!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
We troll to proclaim our faith

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Open Source Idiom posted:

I had a whole piece here about how this show didn't quite do a good job with the handling of race, but I decided to not keep it. I think it's probably not worth the bother -- just pretend you read this post and got annoyed at my moral outrage. I'm not indigenous myself, so I'm not really speaking from a terribly informed place.

I will say this though -- What was Grace doing shopping for groceries at a Big W? What does she eat, batteries?

This is from the last page, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. I know almost nothing about the indigenous people of Australia or the effect colonialism had on them (if the rest of the world is any indication I'm guessing it wasn't sunshine and rainbows), but I could certainly see the episode being a bit too "noble savage"-esque if taken out of context from the rest of the show.

But for the most part, the show has depicted many different beliefs in a sort of mysteriously spiritual light, and the episode did a good job of establishing that Kevin Sr. was looking for anything to cling onto, and also depicting him as kind of a shithead for appropriating their culture to fuel his own insanity, so I didn't think it was problematic or anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Was Kevin's dad bit in the arm by the snake the exact same way that the cavewoman in the first episode of S2 was? I forget how that scene went.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
"Cavewoman" is actually a racist term. They prefer to be called Mole-people

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

Was Kevin's dad bit in the arm by the snake the exact same way that the cavewoman in the first episode of S2 was? I forget how that scene went.
Yeah, I think so. She died trying to get her child to safety after the cave-in.

Someone on a podcast pointed out that in S1 that...Lilly's birth mother, I think, had a dream in a random episode about underwater spiders or something. I can't remember the exact line but it did remind me of the Itsy Bitsy Spider stuff in this episode.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The way he kills it, by grabbing it and smacking it against the ground, is the exact same way that she did.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Seems like a pretty good way to kill a snake after you've been bit.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

oliwan posted:

beep boop what is the funktion of stories? what is the difference between a good story that changes you as a human being, or teaches you empathy? beep boop I don't know, all stories are just superficial escapism beep boop.
qfp. its going to be ok pal. 33 isn't that old.
'-'
I'm bummed this show won't influence future shows as much as it would have if the ratings were better. I can only think of Mr Robot so far.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would love a spin-off that just focused on the inner workings of the Department of Sudden Departures. Them trying to figure out the cause, rooting out frauds and charlatans, etc.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

oliwan posted:

lol I just saw the third episode -- a full episode of filler. whoa Lindelof is a true storytelling genius, this has truly opened my eyes.

5 more to go and I'll watch them I guess, but are people still defending this show as something more than superficial escapism?

Stop engaging this rear end in a top hat. They've been trolling this thread since the beginning.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
This episode reminded me somewhat of "Across the Sea" from :lost:

I've read the titles for the remaining episodes minus the series finale. So much intrigue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm torn about this episode. Considering this took up one of the six remaining episodes, it felt kind of wasteful to spend the entire time on Kevin Sr.

Well I mean, without it there would be 5 more episodes instead of 6. It's not like there was an extra episode they canceled to make this one.

Professor Shark posted:

Scott Glenn: No. Later, I thought back on my first conversation with Damon before I went to New York for the first season. I asked him to tell me about Kevin, Sr. He said there are three types of prophets: "false prophets, crazy prophets, and real prophets; you’re a real prophet." He said, “If there is one you want to think about, think about Moses. I think your character is going to go on some type of walkabout.”

Stealth Lost sequel theory confirmed. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread