Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
So for the secret religion conversion event chains, anyone have a good idea of what to look to for success (in both conversion and getting them into the cult)? Because it seems pretty unpredictable to me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ormi posted:

So for the secret religion conversion event chains, anyone have a good idea of what to look to for success (in both conversion and getting them into the cult)? Because it seems pretty unpredictable to me so far.
Have high diplo. Match argument to traits (also personal appeal works on close family and people that like you >50). It's actually pretty stacked in your favor, even with the wrong argument and no diplo/trait bonuses, for induct into secret religion, you have a base
60% against unlanded
43% against barons
33% counts
27% dukes
9% kings
4% emperors

Sympathy is even easier (still base 60%, but higher chances for title dudes).

If you want to spread fast, you can target unlanded dudes and let them exponentially snowball entire empires into secret religions, because there doesn't appear to be any target restriction for the AI, and the cooldown for rejected attempts is pretty short at 5 years, so the same guy can be spammed by many dudes in his lifetime until RNG successfully rolls). Also, since the AI chooses randomly for the argument, they start off with a bonus base chance of ~69%

poo poo might be broken.

See MNM.3405 and MNM.3410 in mnm_secret_religious_societies_events.txt

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 27, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I REALLY LOVE getting war declared on me during a plague. I had horse nomads declare. The plague started near me, it wasn't to them yet. Yeah, come on, motherfuckers. Guess who died of the plague? Their whole army and also their leader. RIP

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Decided to play as the last Merovingian. Just consoled away the monk trait, gave him Kleves, and away I went. Married a Lombard princess, watched Karl attack Asturias, lose fighting the Saxons, and die. Then I died and my daughter took over, and then it turned out that Lombard princess, imprisoned by the Saxons during the disastrous war, died in prison, but before that she had inherited Lombardy, and when she died it went to my new character, so I suddenly went from the countess of Kleves to the Queen of Italy. I'm suddenly not sure where to go from here, but it's not even 800 yet so I have a bit to figure something out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Sorry if the thread takes a dim view on plugging multiplayer games, I checked the OP and searched but I didn't find much to imply anything either way. :ohdear:

My Paradox gaming group finally after something around the length of 18 months finished our megacampaign ending in Hoi4 and we're starting anew! The Song of the Dead: Sundays 0900-1300 PST.

We've decided that after several attempts at this that this time around we're going to implement hard nerfs on blobbing. Each time the combination of Players Sufficiently Skilled To Get Empire in the First Ten Years + Players Vassals Because Hell Yeah I Want In just results in something extremely unfun where people don't call the game because we're attached to our nations and hope we can change things up in EU.

Map of the intended player slots: White Stars for first priority, Black for if we have enough players; purple we're probably banning interaction with.

quote:

A played character may not have a realm size greater than 150. You may get rid of excess lands in any fashion that pleases you; but if a character that was played at any point during the session holds more than 150 holdings at session end, then those lands will be edited away (or alternatively will start triggering nasty events) in the way the editor thinks is least convenient for the player who created this work for him.

Our goal is to try to force people to not play CK like Risk, and instead as the dynasty building game it is supposed to be; to that end the goal is to accumulate as much dynastic prestige, namely by spreading it to as many domains as possible, in order to be able to better customize your burgeoning nation-state for EU4.

So if anyone thinks this could be fun I'd be happy to play with you and hopefully we won't have to assassinate each other.

I'm intending to play as a Merchant republic so my goals are:
1. Get rich.
2. Loan people money.
3. Get angry when they don't pay me back.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
This may be fairly mild when it comes to CK2 diplomacy, but it amused me. I just reunited the christian hispanic kingdoms under a 30-something, gay, chaste king married to a 40 years old chaste woman (:sigh: AI marriages - at least they managed to have two kids, here's hoping they make it to kings). So after dealing with the horrible administrative mess that was to suddendly inherit Castilla and Navarra in addition to Aragon, Leon and Galicia, the "Dangerous Factions" popup appeared. Turns out one of my dukes wanted the crown of Castilla, as did his father (who rebelled and got himself imprisoned for a good number of years) and his grandfather (who got elected spymaster and sent to Constantinople to steal tech - somehow managed to survive without a scratch and spent more than twenty years sending out info). This guy is leading two factions, has 130% of my troops, and hates my guts because he's not on the council, among other things. And he's an Elusive Shadow with 19 intrigue. Cool. Not dangerous at all, no sir.

So I got him on the council. And turns out the only stat he doesn't suck in is Intrigue, so spymaster it is. Big mistake. That puts him at +8 opinion of me. After a bribe and a honorary title, I get him to ~+30, and he's not moving from there. Meaning that when the bribe wears out I'd have a spymaster who is very, very good at his job, wants one of my crowns, and is just looking for something to get pissed at me for. OR I can fire his rear end and get a guy who's angry at me for firing him from the council. And he's still leading the two factions, to boot. I went searching through the laundry list of opinion traits of me, hoping to find something I can fix. And there's nothing. The worst penalties come from "Wants the kingdom of Castilla" and "Wants the Duchy of Castilla", two things he's NOT getting. And then, there it was...

Liege is homosexual: -5
Attraction to homosexual: +30

So I figured, nothing to lose, he's a danger either way. I switched over to Seduction focus, seduced him on the first try, then got the "go to a secluded country house" event not even a month later. He's now the most loyal of all my vassals. The factions are gone for good. And he's still a great Spymaster. As a side effect, my guy lost Chaste in the process :v: so that'll be one less penalty to kids when he inevitably remarries...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jiru posted:

And then, there it was...

So I figured, nothing to lose, he's a danger either way. I switched over to Seduction focus, seduced him on the first try, then got the "go to a secluded country house" event not even a month later. He's now the most loyal of all my vassals. The factions are gone for good. And he's still a great Spymaster. As a side effect, my guy lost Chaste in the process :v: so that'll be one less penalty to kids when he inevitably remarries...

CK2: How I learned to stop worrying and love the dick

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Jiru posted:

Meaning that when the bribe wears out I'd have a spymaster who is very, very good at his job, wants one of my crowns, and is just looking for something to get pissed at me for. OR I can fire his rear end and get a guy who's angry at me for firing him from the council.

or you can move him to adviser

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

lurksion posted:

poo poo might be broken.

Oh yeah. Once you hit a certain critical mass of vassal-courtiers you snowball out of control. 4% base chance of converting the loving Caliph isn't even a speedbump when you have hundreds of cultists using their own Devotion pools on him. Gahahaha.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Jiru posted:

Handled like a true fuckin' vet. Well done :golfclap:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jiru posted:

This is why female rulers can get OP with Way of LIfe.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

And my queen died in a chess game against death at 19 immediately after giving birth to a kid. So, 16 year long regency, ahoy.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
How bad is it to go over the vassal limit? I'm trying to usurp the Arabian Empire through conquest, but I'm way over the vassal limit because I can't hand out the king-level titles until I become Emperor and that will be at least 50-100 years in the future at my current pace. Also, my current ruler is a massive prick with 0 diplomacy.

It's been interesting learning vassal management, I can't seem to keep people happy through multiple generations even though I'm passing out good poo poo like candy.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Vengarr posted:

How bad is it to go over the vassal limit? I'm trying to usurp the Arabian Empire through conquest, but I'm way over the vassal limit because I can't hand out the king-level titles until I become Emperor and that will be at least 50-100 years in the future at my current pace. Also, my current ruler is a massive prick with 0 diplomacy.

It's been interesting learning vassal management, I can't seem to keep people happy through multiple generations even though I'm passing out good poo poo like candy.

Being over by one or two probably isn't a problem. Going over by too much causes you to get basically no taxes or levies.
Give your Dukes multiple duchies to go back under the limit.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Edison was a dick posted:

Being over by one or two probably isn't a problem. Going over by too much causes you to get basically no taxes or levies.
Give your Dukes multiple duchies to go back under the limit.

Oh yeah...of course you can have multiple duchies.

There was a big rebellion and I have like 6 counts and 2 dukes in my jail. It is intended behavior that I can't just strip all of their titles even though I have the Title Revocation law, yes? I don't see why traitors should get to keep anything :colbert:

Can't kill or banish them without getting tyranny either...so these guys are destined to rot in prison forever?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vengarr posted:

There was a big rebellion and I have like 6 counts and 2 dukes in my jail. It is intended behavior that I can't just strip all of their titles even though I have the Title Revocation law, yes? I don't see why traitors should get to keep anything :colbert:

Can't kill or banish them without getting tyranny either...so these guys are destined to rot in prison forever?

You can only take one title per incident, I believe. I think Title Revocation is something different? I just keep them in the dungeon forever, I find that if they rebelled once they're unlikely to get enough of an opinion boost to not rebel later on.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

catlord posted:

You can only take one title per incident, I believe. I think Title Revocation is something different? I just keep them in the dungeon forever, I find that if they rebelled once they're unlikely to get enough of an opinion boost to not rebel later on.
You need Title Revocation just to revoke titles, but once you have that, yeah, one title per cause, whether that's a refusal to end a plot or an actual faction war.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I looked in the OP but it's more than outdated. Can someone recommend resources to get started with this game? I've had it for just over a year and a half and every time I start it, I look at the menu, and immediately feel out of my depth. Is there anything more recent or possibly even better than what's listed on the OP?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I got into CK2 from Beefart's tutorial LP at the bottom of the OP. That's a good place to start and you can follow along if you turn off cultural names in the game options.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah, following an lp some of the way is decent training wheels. It won't go down the exact same way obviously but thats part of the fun. You kind of have to sit down and let poo poo get weird for a bit to get the game

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What's the easiest way to bring an unruly and too-powerful vassal duke to heel? I hosed up and didn't notice that this dude somehow got himself set up as the heir to another duchy and now he's being an rear end in a top hat and my borders are all hosed up.

Edit: I guess i could just kill him but he's got his inheritance locked down and then i'd just have to deal with his pissed off kid anyway

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

andrew smash posted:

What's the easiest way to bring an unruly and too-powerful vassal duke to heel? I hosed up and didn't notice that this dude somehow got himself set up as the heir to another duchy and now he's being an rear end in a top hat and my borders are all hosed up.

Edit: I guess i could just kill him but he's got his inheritance locked down and then i'd just have to deal with his pissed off kid anyway

Kill him and his kid, and anyone else who gets in the way.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

andrew smash posted:

If you marry them vassals can't really do anything against their liege because they're bound by non-aggression pacts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Vengarr posted:

You can ransom them for money, or release them for a big opinion boost with all your vassals for being merciful. The dudes you release won't ever like you very much, but if you release a couple duke vassals from prison early in your reign, factions die off quick.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Volkerball posted:

You can ransom them for money, or release them for a big opinion boost with all your vassals for being merciful. The dudes you release won't ever like you very much, but if you release a couple duke vassals from prison early in your reign, factions die off quick.

Of course, keeping them in jail forever will also prevent faction problems. That's the best way to hold on to absolute rule and that sweet demesne bonus

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Of course, keeping them in jail forever will also prevent faction problems. That's the best way to hold on to absolute rule and that sweet demesne bonus

I guess if he's like, your only vassal duke. If you've got multiple vassal dukes/kings, a +10 opinion boost with all of them is worth a hell of a lot more than having one duke imprisoned. Same if you have a bunch of dukes and you captured a lovely count. As an example, if you have a revolt that you crush, and you end up with a king, 3 dukes, and a count imprisoned, you can stand to get nearly a +30 opinion modifier for every one of your vassals, not including the modifier you get for beating a revolt. That's like a 100% guarantee that you aren't going to be revolted on again regardless of how big your realm is, for the rest of your life. And you get a cool 400 gold on top of it. Keeping them imprisoned is a fools move in that situation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

andrew smash posted:

If his titles are still on Gavelkind, you can wait for him to have two male kids, then stab him. Gavelkind is real good at breaking up megadukes.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Volkerball posted:

I guess if he's like, your only vassal duke. If you've got multiple vassal dukes/kings, a +10 opinion boost with all of them is worth a hell of a lot more than having one duke imprisoned. Same if you have a bunch of dukes and you captured a lovely count. As an example, if you have a revolt that you crush, and you end up with a king, 3 dukes, and a count imprisoned, you can stand to get nearly a +30 opinion modifier for every one of your vassals, not including the modifier you get for beating a revolt. That's like a 100% guarantee that you aren't going to be revolted on again regardless of how big your realm is, for the rest of your life. And you get a cool 400 gold on top of it. Keeping them imprisoned is a fools move in that situation.

The opinion bonus from releasing imprisoned vassals doesn't stack. You will get +9 for five years whether you release one duke or a hundred dukes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is why female rulers can get OP with Way of LIfe.

Yeah, my immortal empress was broken because everyone had something like +60 base before all her other good traits.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

If his titles are still on Gavelkind, you can wait for him to have two male kids, then stab him. Gavelkind is real good at breaking up megadukes.

Isn't there a way to force Gavelkind on your vassals?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

White Coke posted:

Isn't there a way to force Gavelkind on your vassals?

You can demand gavelkind from the diplomacy menu.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
why the gently caress can't I form a merchant republic as a muslim

I've made a city the capital holding, I have the required tech and on the coastline

Yet the stupid loving thing says my holding type ain't a city

UGGHHH

and when I consoled into being a merchant republic it turned me into a regular one

thank gently caress I wasn't on ironman because the 867 Nefoud start is a loving impossible pain to get off the ground even if it worked

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I've made a city the capital holding, I have the required tech and on the coastline

UGGHHH

and when I consoled into being a merchant republic it turned me into a regular one

thank gently caress I wasn't on ironman because the 867 Nefoud start is a loving impossible pain to get off the ground even if it worked

I think merchant republics have to be a duke-level title. Maybe that's the problem?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kenzie posted:

I think merchant republics have to be a duke-level title. Maybe that's the problem?
No, the problem was that I wasn't selecting the holding itself and making it my capital but making the county my capital, then making one of them a capital holding

Seeing as you can't switch capitals again in a lifetime it was a bit of a hassle. Decided to try my hand at a secret ibadi cult in Aquitaine instead

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

UGGHHH

You can still do the old republic swapping trick. Easiest with Socotra, but any independent coastal republic can do it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can you no longer convert to you capitals main religion?

I just conquered a bunch of Zoroastrian land as a Muslim Persian and I can't seem to convert.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FreudianSlippers posted:

Can you no longer convert to you capitals main religion?

I just conquered a bunch of Zoroastrian land as a Muslim Persian and I can't seem to convert.

Are you zealous? Zealous characters can't take that decision.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Also they moved it from the Decisions menu to the right click menu on your own character.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That seems to have been the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I was wondering about alternate starts or something and it occurred to me, has anybody done an alternate history mod that's not Lux Invicta? Something less... intensive than that one I was thinking.

• Locked thread