Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm

My wife really loved the black mold caked around my bathtub rocks. Dat mold got me so much poon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013
From Doom House to Goon House.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I mean, it's fact that the two rooms that sell a house are the kitchen and the master bathroom.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

OSI bean dip posted:

Wow. You pretty much match my impression of sales engineers once again.

Apparently you've never bought a house with a wife? Under most circumstances the wife makes the final say on whether or not a couple buys a home. I've heard this from the many real estate agents I've worked with in the past that assure me this is most often the case.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.

Please, do go on :allears:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Apparently you've never bought a house with a wife? Under most circumstances the wife makes the final say on whether or not a couple buys a home. I've heard this from the many real estate agents I've worked with in the past that assure me this is most often the case.

:laffo:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

I am married and can tell you that you have a really depressing outlook on marriage. I guess that can explain why you're living the bachelor life after all.

At least make your bathroom look like this:

It's not like you ever have to worry about a woman seeing it anyway.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
OP at least do those nice big round bulbs all around the mirrors so you can blind god when they turn on those lights to do makeup, make sure the bulbs are color corrected for maximum ladycool points, i cant stand that much light but the ladies seem to like that in my horrible builder grade bathroom squallorpit

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't think you've ever asked woman about this so I asked my wife. To give you some background she spends a lot of time in the bathroom as make-up is one of her hobbies and would engage in ritual sacrifice for a bathtub. In fact when we buy next year a bathtub is high on the list of priorities.

She strongly prefers the original bathroom, especially the tub with a wide brim as she could put her wine there, the original sinks are also better as mostly she just wants as much of her own counter space as possible. She agrees it looked a bit dated but the solution would have been at most to replace the doors on the cabinets, and some new tiles.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Megabound posted:

I don't think you've ever asked woman about this so I asked my wife. To give you some background she spends a lot of time in the bathroom as make-up is one of her hobbies and would engage in ritual sacrifice for a bathtub. In fact when we buy next year a bathtub is high on the list of priorities.

She strongly prefers the original bathroom, especially the tub with a wide brim as she could put her wine there, the original sinks are also better as mostly she just wants as much of her own counter space as possible. She agrees it looked a bit dated but the solution would have been at most to replace the doors on the cabinets.

tiled countertops had to go

eta: I am not a woman but that is definitely conveying my wife's opinion on tiled countertops in the bathroom or kitchen.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

brugroffil posted:

Yea, point being an update to the existing design instead of giving her less space for all her poo poo.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm not going to disagree about tile counters, but why choose something even harder to clean?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

congrats goons, you prevented a sales jockey bigot from experiencing karma

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

brugroffil posted:

eta: I am not a woman but that is definitely conveying my wife's opinion on tiled countertops in the bathroom or kitchen.

Tiled countertops are the devil and should all be destroyed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This thread is seriously making me consider remodelling my bathroom on the Kreiger model.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
OP is building a rape dungeon?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think if the OP wrote articles for the front page as "expert on women, who has never interacted with women" SA would come back in a big way.

Edit: don't get me wrong I love you OP you constantly deliver

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I'm a woman and while I don't speak for all women, nothing about that bathroom suits the way I'd want to use the space even ignoring the aesthetic side of things.

I like as much natural light as possible for putting on my makeup, and just waking myself up in the morning, and you boarded up a window. The dark gray stone and red paint are also going to soak up all the artificial light and make the bathroom dank and cave-like, so hard to see what I'm doing.

The tub is awkwardly-placed and has nowhere but that tiny notch in the wall to store soaps, oils, grooming tools, or the book, wine, and music player I'd need to have a properly girly soak.

The shower is cavernous, and thus would be freezing unless you had both showerheads going, there's again nowhere to store anything, and like a lot of women I prefer a removable showerhead so I can clean my body without getting my hair wet, because drying and setting it is a pain in the rear end I like to save for shampoo days. You've got a sort of bench thing I think that might be workable for shaving your legs on, but it forces you to stand in the path of the shower, meaning your shaving soap is going to constantly rinse off while you're working, not to mention your hair's getting wet again.

The sinks, again, no storage space, no clear flat workspace for laying out hot tools, makeup, and cosmetics. If that low part in between is meant to be the vanity, it's cramped and has no mirror, no lighting, and only one electrical socket, which is frequently not enough when I've got a blow-dryer going, a flat iron heating up, and I want to charge my phone.

I don't see anywhere to store towels or robes either.

Some girls are definitely a lot more wash-and-go than I am, but the fact that you're thinking of wooing a woman with a luxury bathroom makeover in the first place means you probably go for a traditional type of girl. Traditional girls tend to need bathroom storage and a place to plug in their hot rollers.

Since you took the time to respond constructively, I'll do the same.

I'd like to keep as much natural light as possible, but relocating the shower forced me to block one of the windows. That being said, there are still two very large windows in the bathroom which is without question more than your average bathroom has, including the large master bathroom I had in my previous home.

The tub will be in the exact same location it was prior to the remodel. If anyone awkwardly placed it, its the original home builders. That being said, I don't feel its out of place. It will be in a corner and under a window, which is where most tubs reside. As for the tub storage, the notch in the wall is not tiny, but it is also not a bookshelf. Most modern designs don't have a lot of clutter, and my design doesn't allow for a lot of clutter on purpose.

The shower is cavernous. I'm not sure if you've used a large shower before but I had a multi-head large shower in my previous bathroom and it didn't get cold. Unless you're shaving, chances are you will still be under some part of the water stream which will keep you warm. Additionally my design has floor to ceiling glass which will trap in heat (while still having a vent so as not to make a mildew pit). There are two notches in the shower, opposite the shower heads, to hold shampoo and soaps for storage, and two perfectly good benches to store excess items on if needed. There will be a hand shower installed as well (this is hard to add in a 3d render with my skill level). Also there should be no problems standing out of the water whilst shaving with the amount of space in the shower (and various faucet controls).

The vanity tops don't allow for a lot of storage on top, but there will be some, including the middle section. There are storage cabinets and drawers under the sinks which will provide a fair amount of storage. There is an additional vanity that will be large and dedicated for makeup with a large mirror, ample storage and plenty of light, counter space and outlets. This is not shown in my 3d rendering but will be inside of the bathroom taking the place of the old shower.

There is no dedicated robe storage but with the closet being right next to the shower door it would be easy to store them inside the closet. It would also be pretty easy to add some robe hooks in the bathroom if I decide to go that route. There will be towel shelves as part of the design (again not shown in the 3d render).

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'd like to keep as much natural light as possible, but relocating the shower forced me to block one of the windows. That being said, there are still two very large windows in the bathroom which is without question more than your average bathroom has, including the large master bathroom I had in my previous home.

The tub will be in the exact same location it was prior to the remodel. If anyone awkwardly placed it, its the original home builders. That being said, I don't feel its out of place. It will be in a corner and under a window, which is where most tubs reside. As for the tub storage, the notch in the wall is not tiny, but it is also not a bookshelf. Most modern designs don't have a lot of clutter, and my design doesn't allow for a lot of clutter on purpose.

The shower is cavernous. I'm not sure if you've used a large shower before but I had a multi-head large shower in my previous bathroom and it didn't get cold. Unless you're shaving, chances are you will still be under some part of the water stream which will keep you warm. Additionally my design has floor to ceiling glass which will trap in heat (while still having a vent so as not to make a mildew pit). There are two notches in the shower, opposite the shower heads, to hold shampoo and soaps for storage, and two perfectly good benches to store excess items on if needed. There will be a hand shower installed as well (this is hard to add in a 3d render with my skill level). Also there should be no problems standing out of the water whilst shaving with the amount of space in the shower (and various faucet controls).

The vanity tops don't allow for a lot of storage on top, but there will be some, including the middle section. There are storage cabinets and drawers under the sinks which will provide a fair amount of storage. There is an additional vanity that will be large and dedicated for makeup with a large mirror, ample storage and plenty of light, counter space and outlets. This is not shown in my 3d rendering but will be inside of the bathroom taking the place of the old shower.

There is no dedicated robe storage but with the closet being right next to the shower door it would be easy to store them inside the closet. It would also be pretty easy to add some robe hooks in the bathroom if I decide to go that route. There will be towel shelves as part of the design (again not shown in the 3d render).

yeah. but you're still a bigot, so

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

No, he's a sales engineer. (it's very very slightly different)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

Oof. I am straining sooooo haaardddd to play good cop here, but anybody who's seen any of my colorful red titles from D&D knows how I feel about your sexism. And what I get in return? A hobbyist vandal condescending to me about shower sizes.

Your notches suck. poo poo's going to fall out of them. A lot of toiletries come in odd-shaped or oddly-balanced containers and when women choose bathroom storage they tend to choose something with a retaining rim to keep everything from falling out. If you ever do land a woman the first thing she'll do is ugly up your "modern design" with some aftermarket shower storage, because the only option you've built in is some dumb notches that will gather water and grime and rain shampoo bottles onto the tile anytime one of you so much as breathes.

You're building a custom bathroom to deleterious expense and your shower storage solution is "leave poo poo scattered on the benches if you want." How modern, how minimal.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

I am married and can tell you that you have a really depressing outlook on marriage. I guess that can explain why you're living the bachelor life after all.

I do. That's because the marriages i'm in close relation to are more depressing than happy. I have a good life and maybe some day I'll get married, but I'm certainly not in a rush.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

This is called the "ad hominem" fallacy.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

op how do you feel about the fact that your death was prevented by persons who very probably find your views on women abhorrent. like you could very possibly be dead if they had known about your misogyny beforehand and decided not to help you out of the goodness of their hearts

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 2, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

Only if they're using it to try to undermine your argument...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Oof. I am straining sooooo haaardddd to play good cop here, but anybody who's seen any of my colorful red titles from D&D knows how I feel about your sexism. And what I get in return? A hobbyist vandal condescending to me about shower sizes.

Your notches suck. poo poo's going to fall out of them. A lot of toiletries come in odd-shaped or oddly-balanced containers and when women choose bathroom storage they tend to choose something with a retaining rim to keep everything from falling out. If you ever do land a woman the first thing she'll do is ugly up your "modern design" with some aftermarket shower storage, because the only option you've built in is some dumb notches that will gather water and grime and rain shampoo bottles onto the tile anytime one of you so much as breathes.

You're building a custom bathroom to deleterious expense and your shower storage solution is "leave poo poo scattered on the benches if you want." How modern, how minimal.

you were doing so well too :smithfrog: but yeah you are right for sure about shower storage and those aftermarket showerhead storage things suck.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
This should be a case-study in "Not Live Blogging your DIY"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Baronjutter posted:

No, he's a sales engineer. (it's very very slightly different)

it's one of those "you don't have to be ________ to work here... BUT IT HELPS!" things

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is like starting a drunken brawl and then scolding the people holding you back from an rear end-kicking for not observing Queensbury Rules.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Modern magazine designs don't allow a lot of clutter. Modern livable designs don't show a lot of clutter. People still want to own poo poo. The kind of people who want lavish bathrooms and ridiculous tubs also want three scents of bath salts and two different products each for face, eye area, body, feet, daily exfoliating, biweekly masks, hair on regular days, hair on humid days, weekly clarifying, etc.

When design tries to prevent people from behaving conveniently, people get pissed at the design.

I personally would trade all the ~aesthetic~ for an extra-long and extra-deep tub. Hell, if you're selling the lifestyle image, make it a giant jacuzzi tub in front of a window. The tub surround is not a selling point.

e: this thread moves as fast as a tub plummeting to the basement

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 2, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
We sprang for a slightly pricier after-market shower storage thing, and I'm really happy with it.

It's quite secure and each part is adjustable but can be tightened down.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

I do. That's because the marriages i'm in close relation to are more depressing than happy. I have a good life and maybe some day I'll get married, but I'm certainly not in a rush.

bEatmstrJ posted:

bEatmstrJ posted:

In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday).

Maybe the reason why the marriages you see are depressing is because you have a distorted view on how women look at homes? Like I am pretty certain my wife (who happens to be an engineer I'll add) would likely want to run away if she were to hear that some dingdong decided that they could fix some engineered joists.

Tell me, what do you think of women drivers? I am sure that you could talk a lot about them just like how we talk about how stupid you are at home renovations. At least with the latter we don't have to rely on feckless anecdotal evidence.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 2, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

There was nothing sexist about what I wrote and I'm certainly not trying to be sexist. Had I wrote, "You've obviously never used a large shower", sure. I can't assume you've used a large shower before, so saying, "I'm not sure if you have" seems fair to me. But lets not split hairs about that. I had one in my previous bathroom and I was simply commenting on my personal experience.

My notches are literally the same as the notches made in every custom (and builder grade) shower I've ever seen. My current shower has the exact same no lip style notch. It's a boxed-in hole cut into the wall. Standard. I won't argue that I've sacrificed some of the existing "table-top" style space that surrounded my previous tub, but I won't defend myself for having MORE storage space than 90% of master bathrooms out there. Its a huge bathroom, It doesn't need to have excessive amounts of storage.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It doesn't need to have recessed tub rocks either, but here we are

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My GF looks for stuff like mould and knob-and-tube wiring when we have looked at houses. In fact, when she sees a ridiculous reno like that bathroom she gets really suspicious of what it's trying to hide.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

100% of the women appealed to in this thread have told you your design is bad, and that of you want to appeal to that demographic you need to make some serious changes, but I guess they just don't have your master diy-er ~~vision~~.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm a woman and while I don't speak for all women, nothing about that bathroom suits the way I'd want to use the space even ignoring the aesthetic side of things.

I like as much natural light as possible for putting on my makeup, and just waking myself up in the morning, and you boarded up a window. The dark gray stone and red paint are also going to soak up all the artificial light and make the bathroom dank and cave-like, so hard to see what I'm doing.

The tub is awkwardly-placed and has nowhere but that tiny notch in the wall to store soaps, oils, grooming tools, or the book, wine, and music player I'd need to have a properly girly soak.

The shower is cavernous, and thus would be freezing unless you had both showerheads going, there's again nowhere to store anything, and like a lot of women I prefer a removable showerhead so I can clean my body without getting my hair wet, because drying and setting it is a pain in the rear end I like to save for shampoo days. You've got a sort of bench thing I think that might be workable for shaving your legs on, but it forces you to stand in the path of the shower, meaning your shaving soap is going to constantly rinse off while you're working, not to mention your hair's getting wet again.

The sinks, again, no storage space, no clear flat workspace for laying out hot tools, makeup, and cosmetics. If that low part in between is meant to be the vanity, it's cramped and has no mirror, no lighting, and only one electrical socket, which is frequently not enough when I've got a blow-dryer going, a flat iron heating up, and I want to charge my phone.

I don't see anywhere to store towels or robes either.

Some girls are definitely a lot more wash-and-go than I am, but the fact that you're thinking of wooing a woman with a luxury bathroom makeover in the first place means you probably go for a traditional type of girl. Traditional girls tend to need bathroom storage and a place to plug in their hot rollers.

Mrs. Burt Sexual? Great break down.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

This is like some god awful Seth Rogen film where he renos the house to help bring in the ladies, and still fails to do so.

OP, don't put the cart before a horse you're never going to have.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bEatmstrJ posted:

There was nothing sexist about what I wrote and I'm certainly not trying to be sexist. Had I wrote, "You've obviously never used a large shower", sure. I can't assume you've used a large shower before, so saying, "I'm not sure if you have" seems fair to me. But lets not split hairs about that. I had one in my previous bathroom and I was simply commenting on my personal experience.

My notches are literally the same as the notches made in every custom (and builder grade) shower I've ever seen. My current shower has the exact same no lip style notch. It's a boxed-in hole cut into the wall. Standard. I won't argue that I've sacrificed some of the existing "table-top" style space that surrounded my previous tub, but I won't defend myself for having MORE storage space than 90% of master bathrooms out there. Its a huge bathroom, It doesn't need to have excessive amounts of storage.

There was a lot sexist about what you've written. Wimmin buy houses like this, menfolk buy houses like that! Christ.

I made a sincere effort. I want to save you money and regret. But you just have lovely taste and worse instincts, and there's nothing anybody can do about that. Hit me up when you post your thread about turning your boxy tract-home living room into a "home theater," looking forward to some more hot DIY action.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

bEatmstrJ posted:

There was nothing sexist about what I wrote and I'm certainly not trying to be sexist.

Really?

bEatmstrJ posted:

bEatmstrJ posted:

In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday).

You're stereotyping women at how they look at bathrooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"A wife."

• Locked thread