Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I went to an American International school with a bunch of ridiculously rich kids (firmly middle class, myself). Many of them went on to Ivy League, a lot head their own businesses or inherited companies.
I wound up learning way more in my lovely little art college because I wasn't constantly self-inducing amnesia to forget how miserable I was. I always kept my grades up, but gently caress me if I remember in what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shadow Hog posted:

Anyway, considering the subject at hand and the thread we're discussing it in, how long until somebody uses it to segue into A Goofy Movie? I mean, okay, Max didn't go to college until An Extremely Goofy Movie apparently, but I was reminded of it regardless.

Please, somebody segue this derail into A Goofy Movie

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm brilliant and too beautiful and sexy to be accomplished

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have never seen a goofy movie but a few days ago i found these horse trading cards i made when i was 6 and i think we could turn them into something pretty good if we all worked together

i'm rip with the whitest socks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sometimes, when I'm on the road, I give myself a windy beaty just to break up the monotony. No one's caught me yet.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What did Gold-Dust do to deserve a bridle

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
what i'm saying is that as we are all brilliant beyond the comprehension of mortal man, we should team up and produce an animated movie ourselves

e: gold-dust is a killer

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Avshalom posted:

e: gold-dust is a killer

Helluva coat, though.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
"gold, gold," whispers the small jew as she cuts out wonky horses and draws pink swastikas all over the playground, "purest gold!"

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Avshalom posted:

what i'm saying is that as we are all brilliant beyond the comprehension of mortal man, we should team up and produce an animated movie ourselves

It will be our horse d'ouevre

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Avshalom posted:

"gold, gold," whispers the small jew as she cuts out wonky horses and draws pink swastikas all over the playground, "purest gold!"

I'm reminded of A Stallion of Venice

quote:

Forelock: I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hooves, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions? Fed with the same oats, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you shoe us, do we not clop? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
Palamino: Neigh.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jaw like an anaconda to perform that bris

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

LeJackal posted:

I'm reminded of A Stallion of Venice

*squints at you*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The little ruler makes it look like a police line up.

"Ma'am, do any of these wonderful, magical ponies resemble the colt that shot your husband?"

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I had no idea Balto was a huge flop but then I checked and they released it three weeks after Toy Story. That's either bad timing, or Universal expected Toy Story to just nosedive on arrival, like if the Black Friday cut never changed. It ended up turning a profit and a half on video, but yikes, $10m total on $30m budget + marketing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's news to me that it was ever released in theaters. I remember a decently strong marketing campaign, but for the VHS.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also thought that Balto was one of those properties that was dragged out and out with endless DTV sequels like Land Before Time, but apparently it only had 2 sequels. (Are they good? Do I even need to ask?)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Balto was unfortunate to be a non-Disney animated film released in the middle of the Disney Renaissance. If they weren't Bluth they were swiftly forgotten, save for the few that got some air time on the old Cartoon Network (which I believe Balto was, hence it having a bit of recognition).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I also thought that Balto was one of those properties that was dragged out and out with endless DTV sequels like Land Before Time, but apparently it only had 2 sequels. (Are they good? Do I even need to ask?)

they are not.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CRINDY posted:

I had no idea Balto was a huge flop but then I checked and they released it three weeks after Toy Story.
I bet they were thinking 'A whole movie with CGI? It'll be so expensive and ugly the kids will hate it'. Balto was decently animated, if I remember correctly.

And then Toy Story had an amazing plot that spoke to people of all ages and that was that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Not having a tv between 1996-2005, and never really watching commercial television anyway I have never even heard the name Balto. So I guess it's impact wasn't very wide.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i think balto did well internationally? i'm sure i watched it at least six or seven times at different people's houses on video as a kid

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

FilthyImp posted:

And then Toy Story had an amazing plot that spoke to people of all ages and that was that.

True, the internet has taught me that Balto only speaks to a certain subsection of people

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Balto was pretty hyped at the time it came out, I remember that as much, but it got absolutely blown out of the water by Toy Story and I don't remember anybody caring about it after that.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

Balto was pretty hyped at the time it came out, I remember that as much, but it got absolutely blown out of the water by Toy Story and I don't remember anybody caring about it after that.

Toy Story was such an explosive mega-hit that everything was eclipsed by its shadow, including Balto. Which is, to be 10000% honest, not a divinely ordained fantastic movie. If not for Toy Story, I'm sure Balto would have done pretty well, respectably, for sure, in the theatres. Instead of turning into a long tail sleeper hit on home media.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hehe you were just waiting for an excuse to slip "long tail" in there weren't you :laugh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember liking Balto as a kid, particularly the bear fight. I was really impressed with the ice bit. Haven't seen it since around its initial release, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well now I'm home from work so it's time to finish watching it :3:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are any animation geeks in here also Laser Time listeners? I hung out at the studio all day yesterday and got to do some fun cartoon related things that will go up for Patreon donors soon.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

somewhere in the last few years i remember watching a bit about this old american guy thats been desperately trying to get an traditional animation style movie made. he was like bankrolling it using the profits from his business and he had a bunch of young people working for him cause they got to work on a hand drawn animation. anyone know the name of this movie that i recall not having much of a chance of ever coming out. i remember very little about the actual movie itself, but think like old disney cottages, talking animals stuff like that

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
cobbler and the thief seems to be what you're looking for, I think? I did no research though so I could be wrong

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Davincie posted:

somewhere in the last few years i remember watching a bit about this old american guy thats been desperately trying to get an traditional animation style movie made. he was like bankrolling it using the profits from his business and he had a bunch of young people working for him cause they got to work on a hand drawn animation. anyone know the name of this movie that i recall not having much of a chance of ever coming out. i remember very little about the actual movie itself, but think like old disney cottages, talking animals stuff like that

Oh god, was it Miracle Mouse?

I think it's also famous for having one of Ernest Borgnine's final speaking roles. :shepface:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yes it was miracle mouse, thank you!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Harold Krell posted:

Oh god, was it Miracle Mouse?

I think it's also famous for having one of Ernest Borgnine's final speaking roles. :shepface:

He had a long career, but I'm certain that his biggest lasting lagacy is gonna be Mermaid Man. I saw an interview where he said he was speaking to a little girl, who had no idea who he was, and then asked if she watched SpongeBob, and she got super excited when he said he was Mermaid Man. He seemed like such a nice man.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

It's funny because there's kind of this weird trend where these great actors' final movies will be these really terrible animated films, like academy-award winning Anne Bancroft's final picture was an animated film noted for having one of the worst box office openings of all time.

And it would be really sad if this thing was Sean Connery's last picture.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harold Krell posted:

And it would be really sad if this thing was Sean Connery's last picture.

Would it be better or worse if he had stayed retired after League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Would it be better or worse if he had stayed retired after League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Plot Synopsis of Sir Billi posted:

An old, skateboarding veterinarian Sir Billi goes above and beyond the call of responsibility fighting villainous policemen and strong lairds in a war to save an illegal fugitive—Bessie Boo the beaver.

A little bit better yeah.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Unmature posted:

Are any animation geeks in here also Laser Time listeners? I hung out at the studio all day yesterday and got to do some fun cartoon related things that will go up for Patreon donors soon.

I will look for it! Recommend some good episodes of Laser Time in the meantime?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
And Anime Jesus said, "Render unto 2d what is 2d, and what is 3d unto 3d..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sick home from work so time to watch cartoons! Aristocats go! :toot:

PS: Who is this random dude in my av