Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

That's exactly what's mentioned in Aftermath 3. The whole reason Jakku is so important is because Palpatine built some kind of dark side observatory there that could sense it, or something like that.

Funnily enough, if the Clone Wars show had continued, the Vong would have actually appeared in it. Since so many scrapped ideas from that show are still getting recycled, I bet we'll see them at some time.

interesting. yeah thats kinda the guess i had too. like the sith are out there in the uknown region. i guess my question is, does sheev know? i assume he does or at least suspects. but palpatine never struck me as someone who is cool with people having rival powers. i mean its why the contigency happens in the first place. i have to admit, the new canon has me genuinely intrigued. here is my issue with the timeline though. it seems like the empire has imploded pretty quick, its like a year from endor to jakku and then a ton of them fleeing to the unknown regions to i guess for the first order. then its 29 or so years til force awakens and it seems like ben turned maybe like at most 5 years before TFW. i am curious how they will fill the canon. it sounds like battlefront 2 will fill part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/859562273324408832

I mean, he's not wrong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's not wrong, but his words still smell like the Disney "Everything old was poo poo until we reinvent it and claim it's our own idea" PR speak.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
He was at the helm when we had bug orgies so I'm not sure what angle he's coming from.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

He was at the helm when we had bug orgies so I'm not sure what angle he's coming from.

Pretty much anything I see coming from Pablo Hidalgo can be summed up as :smuggo:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Was he? Best I can find is him writing comics for the official site around that time.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Was he? Best I can find is him writing comics for the official site around that time.

In the 90s Hidalgo was a pretty big voice in the early Star Wars internet fandom, including running one of the pre-Wookieepedia attempts to create a comprehensive fan encyclopedia of the Star Wars universe. It was because of that that he got hired by Lucasfilm to do stuff with them in terms of helping keep stuff organized generally, one of the reasons he later got put on the story group. A lot of the people in his fan circle either got hired by Lucasfilm directly or ended up writing commissioned stuff for Lucasfilm, WEG, Del Rey, or Dark Horse. Jason Fry, Dan Wallace, Nathan Butler, Abel Pena, Curtis Saxton were also in those early internet fan circles. I think they lucked out in terms of being super huge Star Wars nerds at a time not only when Star Wars was in a bit of a lull so they stuck out, but also being active online right at the time when Lucasfilm was trying to make inroads on the web.

The funny thing about Hidalgo's early encyclopedia attempt getting him a Lucasfilm job is that there was another competing effort at the same time, as well as a fan timeline project (from before the Essential Chronology had come out), and both of those later got merged into TheForce.Net and pretty much died. So he really lucked out.

Edit:

Steve Sansweet is another big example of a guy who was a huge fan who got hired by Lucasfilm in the late 90s. It's kind of strange, given today's internet culture, to think that major companies would hire giant raging internet fanboys to work for them. It also kind of explains a bit at Hidalgo being a smug rear end when you think about him from that perspective.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 3, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean he isnt wrong, but he comes off a smug and preachy. espcialy when he was around for one worst period. but he aint wrong. the roofie gun is pretty loving rapey.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean he isnt wrong, but he comes off a smug and preachy. espcialy when he was around for one worst period. but he aint wrong. the roofie gun is pretty loving rapey.

I think the other things about this is, the expectations and perceptions of genre pop culture in the late 2010s vs. early 1990s have changed a lot, too.

Not to mention if he's going to be talking about how problematic the Bantam EU was, he might as well just commit to it and make passive-aggressive :/ faces at how Return of the Jedi has Princess Leia being turned into a bikini-clad sex slave for an obese slug.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Not to mention if he's going to be talking about how problematic the Bantam EU was, he might as well just commit to it and make passive-aggressive :/ faces at how Return of the Jedi has Princess Leia being turned into a bikini-clad sex slave for an obese slug.

While true, in Return of the Jedi, she killed the gently caress out of the guy who forced her to do things against her will.

In Courtship, she married him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If he's going to slag off the Bantam EU, we might as well go whole hog and ask him just how LFL let Del Rey publish a Star Wars book with sexual assault of a minor in it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Is my favorite person on that list.

"Oh, you think Star Trek could beat Star Wars? Well, I just wrote a book where I say that a quadlaser has two hundred gigatons of firepower. Good luck winning now, Trekulaires." :smug:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't need smug PR nerds to tell me to hate the Star Wars crazy, I've been doing it for years before Twitter thank you very much!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

If he's going to slag off the Bantam EU, we might as well go whole hog and ask him just how LFL let Del Rey publish a Star Wars book with sexual assault of a minor in it.
Everyone's spirit was already crushed by that point and nobody had the energy to fight it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just finished Lords of the Sith. It was okay. Not terrible, but not amazing. The Vader parts were pretty good, especially when it came to lightsaber combat.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Shocking idea here: What if both continuity's can have good and bad things in them? :wth:

On an unrelated note, found this on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTBe2gSDqm4

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

pubic works project posted:

Just finished Lords of the Sith. It was okay. Not terrible, but not amazing. The Vader parts were pretty good, especially when it came to lightsaber combat.

Is that the one where he and the emperor goes camping in the forest to bond over some father-son Twi'lek murder? I loved that one.

I hate Twi'leks. Their head tails are just so gross.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 3, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nckdictator posted:

Shocking idea here: What if both continuity's can have good and bad things in them? :wth:

True enough. For all the bad stuff in legends, their treatment of Clone Wars material and most of the post Endor stuff leading up to the pellaeon gavrisom treaty is pretty decent. Yeah there are some legendarily bad stories in that stretch of post Endor plot, but there are also some very high highs, and the Zahn duology that caps things off is really great at tying up loose ends and poking fun at the silly parts.

The best thing about legends that neu lacks is contextualization. The wealth of background material and the collaborative efforts of those brave bastards writing the essential guides makes understanding aspects of the star wars universe more rewarding. I like seeing how the tie defender came into existence through development of the interceptor/advanced/avenger line, whereas in Rebels it just shows up because "hey new fighter guys!" and it lacks the same significance if you are unfamiliar with the source material.

That's a frustration I have with TCW and Rebels. Whenever they name drop an EU concept, it only makes sense to a person who has already read the corresponding source material, which in turn can make the inevitable changes to the material frustrating. Why reference something that only a reader of technology original thing will appreciate if you are going to make pointless changes?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 3, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm not sure if this thread is the right place for that, but can someone here give a good rundown on the Star Wars games that are currently on sale on GOG?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

I'm not sure if this thread is the right place for that, but can someone here give a good rundown on the Star Wars games that are currently on sale on GOG?
We talk about games here too.

The Jedi Knight series is good and still holds up for the most part. Rogue Squadron is still a lot of fun. Republic Commando hasn't aged well in gameplay or graphics. The bump mapping was always broken and you're much less likely to overlook how ugly it is now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It was never that pretty, but interesting gameplay mechanics and worth it at that price. Don't expect a long game though.

KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 are fantastic RPG despite being mirror opposites of each other in design and how they approach the Old Republic setting.

JKA still has people modding and playing it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
If you've never played Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series it's totally worth it. Academy is kinda dumb story wise, but it always seemed like they were just taking on a SP campaign to a multiplayer game.

Why the hell do I want to be Kyle Katarn's dorky apprentice when I've spent the last 3 games as him (MotS not withstanding)?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Jedi Academy's plot is absolutely nonsense, but the gameplay is just so drat fun.

Actually I feel like Jedi Academy is the game that drew the most from the pre-existing EU. Yeah KOTOR is set thousands of years before the movies but it at most will occasionally reference something from TOTJ. Jedi Academy is centered around the self-same temple from JAT; it brings you to Korriban from TOTJ and Vjun from Dark Empire and actually recreates building interiors from those comics; it has a Chiss; and the final villain is an actual TOTJ character.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

If you've never played Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series it's totally worth it. Academy is kinda dumb story wise, but it always seemed like they were just taking on a SP campaign to a multiplayer game.

Why the hell do I want to be Kyle Katarn's dorky apprentice when I've spent the last 3 games as him (MotS not withstanding)?

MotS missions were a little disjointed, but that final sequence when you confront Kyle Katarn is simply excellent Star Wars gaming. One of the underrated great bits from LFG of old.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Lemniscate Blue posted:

MotS missions were a little disjointed, but that final sequence when you confront Kyle Katarn is simply excellent Star Wars gaming. One of the underrated great bits from LFG of old.

Plus colored lighting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still a shame that TOR had to piss on everything KOTOR 1 and 2 built up. Also, try the darkside path for Jedi Academy. Kyle fights you with his bare hands if you force pull his lightsaber.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone remember those "Jedi Academy Re-Edited" videos from about 10 years ago? Used to crack me up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember those "Jedi Academy Re-Edited" videos from about 10 years ago? Used to crack me up.

Kyle: "Well I'll be, the Millennium Falcon!"
Jaden: "Never heard of it."
Kyle: "Me neither."

Luke: "I have some disturbing news. Kyle is still alive!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kyle: "Mon Mothma's dead."
Luke: "... That's good."
Kyle: "Something nasty killed her."
Luke: "... Very good."

He did Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (I think he did about three versions of Jedi Academy) but didn't he do one of the other games as well?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't think so. He did do a holiday episode where Luke had to deal with caroling Jawas, and Kyle dumped Rosh on Mustafar with only Jar Jar as company.

EDIT. You might be thinking of A Clone Apart? It was a Battlefront 2 machinima.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 5, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure - I know I've seen the Christmas one but I don't recall the Battlefront 2 one.

Another point on Jedi Academy having a bunch of EU references: the plot about the Disciples of Ragnos visiting places where Luke previously felt a strong connection to the Force so they could drain the Force energy isn't a million miles away from the terrible Luke and Callista subplot from Darksaber.

Also, would I be terribly far wrong in saying it's the only Star Wars game with Noghri?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Also, would I be terribly far wrong in saying it's the only Star Wars game with Noghri?

The empire can recruit Nohri Death Commandos in Star Wars Rebellion I think.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure - I know I've seen the Christmas one but I don't recall the Battlefront 2 one.

Another point on Jedi Academy having a bunch of EU references: the plot about the Disciples of Ragnos visiting places where Luke previously felt a strong connection to the Force so they could drain the Force energy isn't a million miles away from the terrible Luke and Callista subplot from Darksaber.

Again, Mysteries of the Sith had them. Tough little bastards, as I recall, but then I've always been kinda lousy at video games.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Noghri in MOTS were actually depicted as pretty large. The JA ones were at least as tell as Jaden and had staffs that shot blaster bolts if I remember. They probably just reskinned a bounty hunter model, gave it new taunts, and called it good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Hang on, you're saying Academy had the dumb story? When Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is right there? I mean, those video sequences are some of the most cringeworthy things I've ever laid eyes on.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Looking back on them now, yeah, they're awful. At the time, though. drat. Pretty sure when those lightsabers ignited that was the first time an actual live action lightsaber ignited since the trilogy. And that was amazing to me as a kid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

thrawn527 posted:

Hang on, you're saying Academy had the dumb story? When Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II is right there? I mean, those video sequences are some of the most cringeworthy things I've ever laid eyes on.

MORGAN KAtaaaaaaarnnnn.... this dead man holds the valley's location.... VERY intriguing.....

Prepare the Vengeance for hyperspace! *spends ten seconds working on his evil grin*

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Looking back on them now, yeah, they're awful. At the time, though. drat. Pretty sure when those lightsabers ignited that was the first time an actual live action lightsaber ignited since the trilogy. And that was amazing to me as a kid.

I was 14 when it came out, and I thought they were unwatchable. Like, the game itself was really good, but I didn't want anyone to see what I was playing, because they might see the videos, and I would be mortified. Like, the floating torso with the rubber mask? The acting on the lead villain? Yeesh.

I was a pretty big rear end in a top hat as a teenager, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I should say that I had also already played Wing Commander III at that point, which had actual actors, and a good story. So I was judging Dark Forces II pretty harshly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

On the topic of Star Wars game fan YouTube clips, I love the guild recruitment videos for TOR that Starfleet Dental did. My favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvQs1h0pnkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz4AWjnlPvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GUQvHhBVKY

thrawn527 posted:

I should say that I had also already played Wing Commander III at that point, which had actual actors, and a good story. So I was judging Dark Forces II pretty harshly.

Lead by Mark Hamill, no less!