Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FizFashizzle posted:

sigh

deep breath

the nfl is better when san fran is good

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What I want out of the team is enough wins to keep manbaby Jed from purging the coaching staff again, but not enough to gently caress up our drafting.

It's like that episode of that sitcom where the high school kid got into an advanced class by mistake and had to get a grade that was just high enough to pass but low enough he'd get tossed from the class.

Not even Jed is dumb enough to purge a staff that he just gave a fully guaranteed six year contract to. As laughably stupid as he is, he still likes money.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A proposal: San Francisco continues to be awful at football and the Lions win a playoff game for the first time since the James Garfield administration.

I would also like to see them win a Super Bowl, but first, baby steps.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Gonz posted:

A proposal: San Francisco continues to be awful at football and the Lions win a playoff game for the first time since the James Garfield administration.

this but the bengals too

cat bowl would be p good but surely too much to ask, because it guarantees one of (stafford, dalton) to have a ring

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Browns over .500 would be loving great and anybody who says otherwise is being lovely.

49ers can gently caress off tho. You don't get to a bloo bloo bloo with a case full of Lombardis.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Gonz posted:

Counter proposal: the 49ers get good again for three years, then decline for a few, then get good again for three years, then decline for a few, etc etc.

I was tempted to say they should dominate the NFL forever and screw everyone else, but we already have the Patriots in the league and gently caress those guys.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Counter conunter proposal

49ners stay bad forever, Seahawks begin 1000 years of darkness, California subsides into the sea.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What I want out of the team is enough wins to keep manbaby Jed from purging the coaching staff again, but not enough to gently caress up our drafting.

It's like that episode of that sitcom where the high school kid got into an advanced class by mistake and had to get a grade that was just high enough to pass but low enough he'd get tossed from the class.

That sounds like a Malcolm in the Middle plot

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 3, 2017

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

sean10mm posted:

Browns over .500 would be loving great and anybody who says otherwise is being lovely.

49ers can gently caress off tho. You don't get to a bloo bloo bloo with a case full of Lombardis.

The 49ers have been without a super bowl win for longer than the Browns* have been a team.

*current iteration :laugh:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Coldforge posted:

Counter proposal: the 49ers get good again for three years, then decline for a few, then get good again for three years, then decline for a few, etc etc.

I was tempted to say they should dominate the NFL forever and screw everyone else, but we already have the Patriots in the league and gently caress those guys.

You don't want your team to be hated as a perennial super bowl contender? I want this thing very much

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Coldforge posted:

The 49ers have been without a super bowl win for longer than the Browns* have been a team.

*current iteration :laugh:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

They had their chance and then they fired the second best coach in football who promptly went to college.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Is that someone describing how quickly a 25 point lead can disappear? He could also be discussing a pick six from the 10-yard line in the final two minutes of a playoff-implication game. I'm not sure :shrug:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

a patagonian cavy posted:

You don't want your team to be hated as a perennial super bowl contender? I want this thing very much

They haven't won a thing since some goons were born, yet they're already just about there. It's more about not being able to live with myself if I aspire to be like a Pats fan.

Edit: vvvv My god it's going to be good to see Bowman playing healthy this year. At least for the 5 games he plays before he retires, and Foster takes over.

Edit 2: Also fun to look at the sidelines and play the Is He Still a 49er game, "Nope, nope, nope, gone, nope, gone, nope, nope."

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 3, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Coldforge posted:

Is that someone describing how quickly a 25 point lead can disappear? He could also be discussing a pick six from the 10-yard line in the final two minutes of a playoff-implication game. I'm not sure :shrug:

Any excuse to post my favorite highlight ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBG-XEjDrS8

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

sean10mm posted:

I was within 2 feet of the Lombardis, fully exposed, with the possibility the 49ers would take Trubisky 2 overall. It did not dull the pain.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
why were you fully exposed

i mean i've been to sf so i get it, but still

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yes Jamaal. It's very personal that the chiefs did not cut you last year. How dare they not spend 7 million on someone who has played 6 games in two years!

They were terrible to you!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Abugadu posted:

why were you fully exposed

i mean i've been to sf so i get it, but still

Sometimes you gotta live life man

And I couldn't think of a better way to say they weren't behind glass

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 3, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Bad Moon posted:

Counter conunter proposal

49ners stay bad forever, Seahawks begin 1000 years of darkness, California subsides into the sea.

Hey don't drag us into this

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Yes Jamaal. It's very personal that the chiefs did not cut you last year. How dare they not spend 7 million on someone who has played 6 games in two years!

They were terrible to you!

It fills my heart with glee that we are all so close to the day when Patriots fans says this about Tommy when he gets shipped off to the Browns for "freelancing"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KC fans are salty as f right now, posting Sweep the Leg and No Mercy gifs.

C'mon don't get so triggered.

I got triggered

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Coldforge posted:

Gotta steal my pride and store next to your pile of Lombardis, eh?

Well, good luck. I lost that poo poo 3 months back. Send proof of life if you ever find it.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Welp, Jamaal Charles is no longer my favorite running back. Go Priest Holmes.

gently caress Jamaal Charles?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dammit, I missed the Bears talk. I will say my peace.

1) The idea that Glennon was somehow misled is false. Two reasons. First, his contract is designed in such a way as to make it do they can cut him after a year. Second, he controls his destiny. If he balls out, he is the starter. I get why he might feel disappointed and I am sorry he feels that way, but if he's a true competitor, it shouldn't matter. If fear of losing your job keeps you from being good at your job, how good were you really gonna be?

2) The idea that drafting Trubisky diminishes how the Bears feel about Glennon or vice versa is silly. It is possible they think highly of both of them, but because they are unknown commodities, they are hedging their bets.

3) That trading up somehow mortgaged the Bears future is silly. All the examples of teams that hurt themselves in the long term by trading up were teams that gave away first round picks, sometimes multiple first rounders. The Bears gave up a couple of thirds and a fourth and got one of those picks back by trading back this year. Next year, they can trade back a couple spots in the first or second and recoup them. Hell, they did it last year when they traded down twice in the second.

4) The quarterbacks are going to suffer because the lack of draft equity will prevent them from putting a solid roster around their QB is also false. The Bears may have been picking 3rd, but their record is more indicative of how bad their coaching is than how talented their roster is. The Bears had the worst turnover ratio in football, but they were 15th in total yards. They have one of the best young running backs in football and one of the best run lines. Zack Miller is a decent offensive weapon when his knees don't explode. Cameron Meridith showed a lot at receiver last year. Kevin White did not, but that is because he suffers from Zack Miller disease. They have been building the roster for two years for this scenario.

By no means should you take this as suppport for the move. I hated it at the time and still do. I have no problem with the rationale behind the decision, just the decision itself.

The reason the Bears are going to fail is because they believe either a dude named Trubisky or Glennon will solve their quarterback problems. Bears fans defending the pick are doing so because our GM targeted a guy he thinks is gonna be our franchise and traded up to get his guy despite all (none) of the obstacles in his path. It is the difference between the man who tries and fails and the man who waits for failure. Bears fans do not wait for our impending doom! We charge into the cavernous void of despair with our heads held high.

Now accept Dexo as your new football god, ye teams of the desperate and lowly!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Trubs could turn out to be the next Peyton Manning and lead Chicago to the promised land and that still wouldn't change the fact the Bears gave up multiple draft picks for literally no reason

Like, if I sold you a car for 10 grand when you knew there was a 95% chance I'd settle for 8k, it doesn't matter how nice the car was, you still spent 2k more than you had to. That's the Bears right now ::iiaca:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sataere posted:

1) The idea that Glennon was somehow misled is false. Two reasons. First, his contract is designed in such a way as to make it do they can cut him after a year.

When people bring this up, I have to ask, are we sure that the athletes understand the finer points about their contracts? Is it possible that Glennon thinks he has a 3 year contract with the Bears and therefore will be with the Bears for 3 years?

Sure, we'd all like to believe his agent, who certainly does understand this, would fill him in on poo poo like this, but are we really sure this is happening?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd be more excited about Charles if his knees weren't made out of chewing gum

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Chromatic posted:

Welp, Jamaal Charles is no longer my favorite running back. Go Priest Holmes.

gently caress Jamaal Charles?

Luckily, you can still Hook em!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Trubs could turn out to be the next Peyton Manning and lead Chicago to the promised land and that still wouldn't change the fact the Bears gave up multiple draft picks for literally no reason

Like, if I sold you a car for 10 grand when you knew there was a 95% chance I'd settle for 8k, it doesn't matter how nice the car was, you still spent 2k more than you had to. That's the Bears right now ::iiaca:

If that is the car of my dreams that I have 100% faith that I will never need to replace for 10+ years then 2 grand is jack poo poo for 100% certainty. Especially if I don't know what is the lowest price you are willing to sell the car at.

If I really loving wanted that car, and think that Car will be my car for the next decade, then 2k is good enough for the piece of mind of not having to stress over missing out on a car of my dreams.

Though Satere is waaaaay more optimistic about this roster than I am.

LabyaMynora posted:

When people bring this up, I have to ask, are we sure that the athletes understand the finer points about their contracts? Is it possible that Glennon thinks he has a 3 year contract with the Bears and therefore will be with the Bears for 3 years?

Sure, we'd all like to believe his agent, who certainly does understand this, would fill him in on poo poo like this, but are we really sure this is happening?

You would have to be dumb as poo poo. Like really really dumb, hell all of the articles about the signing and almost everything written about Glennon has been about how his deal is structured so he can be fired into the sun after this year.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 3, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dexo never buy a car alone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The takes in Chicago right now are loving incredible

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dexo posted:

You would have to be dumb as poo poo. Like really really dumb, hell all of the articles about the signing and almost everything written about Glennon has been about how his deal is structured so he can be fired into the sun after this year.

I do think there is some difference between signing a prove it deal for a team with no quarterback and signing with a team that just traded up to draft a quarterback #2 overall.

Would Glennon sign the same deal today knowing what was coming? I don't know, it still seems like it might be the best deal he could get because he's Mike Glennon. But the expectation of what he'd have to do to actually win the job past this year is a lot different now, he'd going to have to go full Cousins.

And if the Bears FO is like Washington's that still won't be enough.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dexo never buy a car alone.

Thanks for the condescension but I have bought cars before.

I was using his metaphor as outside of the given metaphor there isn't a single loving car I could buy at 8-10k that is going to be rare enough for me to put that much emphasis and caring about. None of my "dream" cars fall in that price range.

No car in any price range I can afford is going to be rare enough or special for me to be willing to overspend.

I was just using his dumb :iiaca:

Grittybeard posted:

I do think there is some difference between signing a prove it deal for a team with no quarterback and signing with a team that just traded up to draft a quarterback #2 overall.

Would Glennon sign the same deal today knowing what was coming? I don't know, it still seems like it might be the best deal he could get because he's Mike Glennon. But the expectation of what he'd have to do to actually win the job past this year is a lot different now, he'd going to have to go full Cousins.

And if the Bears FO is like Washington's that still won't be enough.

Probably. No other team was going to give him a deal that would net him like 16 million for one year of work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I know it was a dumb analogy was my point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

The takes in Chicago right now are loving incredible

hmmm. Let me guess. Rick Tellander or David Haugh?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dexo posted:

Not trying to be contrary, but do the athletes really sit around reading articles about their contracts? I'm just thinking of that time Donovan McNabb said he didn't know games could end in a tie.

As fans, we tend to voraciously consume minutia about rules, draft theory, contracts, etc., and sometimes someone says or does something that makes us realize that the players/coaches/scouts, etc. don't think about it in quite the level of detail as some of us assume they do.

It's easy to imagine an athlete who fills his life with a general fitness routine, a practice routine specific to his sport, time with friends/family, maybe a hobby or two like playing video games or spear hunting wild boar or whatever, and he thinks all that contract stuff is what he pays his agent for and therefore doesn't pay attention to any of it. So in his mind, his agent got him a 3 year contract worth X-million dollars, so he has a contract for 3 years worth X-million dollars.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Not trying to be contrary, but do the athletes really sit around reading articles about their contracts? I'm just thinking of that time Donovan McNabb said he didn't know games could end in a tie.

As fans, we tend to voraciously consume minutia about rules, draft theory, contracts, etc., and sometimes someone says or does something that makes us realize that the players/coaches/scouts, etc. don't think about it in quite the level of detail as some of us assume they do.

It's easy to imagine an athlete who fills his life with a general fitness routine, a practice routine specific to his sport, time with friends/family, maybe a hobby or two like playing video games or spear hunting wild boar or whatever, and he thinks all that contract stuff is what he pays his agent for and therefore doesn't pay attention to any of it. So in his mind, his agent got him a 3 year contract worth X-million dollars, so he has a contract for 3 years worth X-million dollars.

That's on him then. It's his job to ensure that his Agent is giving him the information he needs to get. A clause like that in a contract isn't something that just gets tossed in there without someone noticing. And it's on the Agent and him to work out if the offer is for them or not.

If Glennon doesn't know it's either due to his own incompetence, or a malicious agent not telling him.

I've only done a bit of contract development work, but the one thing I did take note of before signing anything was all the ways said contract can be terminated.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Jamaal Charles on the Broncos reminds me of Thurman Thomas, Miami Dolphin.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Jamaal Charles on the Broncos reminds me of Thurman Thomas, Miami Dolphin.

OJ Simpson, San Francisco 49ers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Trubisky could go for 6000 yards with 60 TDs and zero INTs every year for the next 15 years and the Bears win all 15 titles and it would still be a loving stupid trade because there was literally zero reason for the trade to happen.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 3, 2017

• Locked thread