Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Inspector_666 posted:

Why the gently caress is an Excel sheet being used here.

Oh my, someone has never had to generate a CUCM "all phones, all details" report. One line per phone, and the columns go out to "AOW". If you have multiple thousands of phones it can get pretty ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

When dealing with shared mailboxes in office 365 do you folks usually add the user directly to the shared mailbox, or do you add the user to a security group and then give the security group permissions to the shared mailbox? Is there an advantage over using security groups to control access to shared mailboxes as opposed to adding users directly? If someone can point me to further reading on this I would appreciate it as I'm mostly finding how-to's instead of theory and best practices.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I would say add them to a security group that has access instead of adding the user directly. All of the same arguments that apply to using groups in AD vs direct user assignment should apply here.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Sefal posted:

Still being told in 2017 that we don't need an imaging server

Built MDT+WDS anyway. Boss noticed it. and said that it was unnecessary. Just do it manually. Showed him hard data and just the amount of imaging that was done the last 3 months and the amount of time it has saved so far. He replied with; I guess it doesn't hurt to have it.

I've been whining about this for quite some time and I think I only finally got the go-ahead because our only available image for a machine nearing its EOL was from 2014. It's not just the deployment that's nice -- it's that it gets rid of the need to babysit multiple thick images (for at least 9 models of workstations and laptops in our case, which obviously nobody was doing).

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 2, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Oh my, someone has never had to generate a CUCM "all phones, all details" report. One line per phone, and the columns go out to "AOW". If you have multiple thousands of phones it can get pretty ridiculous.

You could spit this out to .csv and then have SQL (or any other data tool) pick it up. You don't have to use Excel.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Coredump posted:

When dealing with shared mailboxes in office 365 do you folks usually add the user directly to the shared mailbox, or do you add the user to a security group and then give the security group permissions to the shared mailbox? Is there an advantage over using security groups to control access to shared mailboxes as opposed to adding users directly? If someone can point me to further reading on this I would appreciate it as I'm mostly finding how-to's instead of theory and best practices.

Mail-enabled security groups are a good way to deal with this because then you can make someone an owner of that group, show them how to edit the group membership themselves, and then never hear from them again. Just be aware that adding someone to a group that has permissions on a mailbox doesn't do the automapping in Outlook that you'd get if you added them individually.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

You could spit this out to .csv and then have SQL (or any other data tool) pick it up. You don't have to use Excel.

But the users already know excel, why would you ask them to learn a new product?

Unrelated: do I want to try being a project manager?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Inspector_666 posted:

I still haven't set up any sort of network deployment at work and I feel ashamed about this constantly.

You and me both brother, to be honest mine is more not having a single spare moment to do anything about it and there's a poo poo load of quality of life and core improvements I need/want to make to our infrastructure.

Since it's been brought up what's the barebones setup for this that's been asked a million times? We're using Server 2012r2 at the moment so say I spin up an VM and install WDS/MDT ready to do, how does all the licensing shenanigans work out? From what I understand you need to at least buy Reimaging rights but how does this work with OEM licenses? as we get HP machines with Win 7 Pro (now 10) preinstalled which would be ideal to use (volume licensing would be a hard sell at this point).

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CloFan posted:

How much of your monthly budget goes towards alcohol, and can you afford to double that?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I drink a six pack per month, so yeah

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CloFan posted:

Might as well not even bother

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CloFan posted:

Prepare for a six pack per day.

during business hours. More outside of those

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

State job, hourly employee. 40hrs per week, if I get more I have to take comp time at 1.5% sometime in the next 14 days.

At 5pm the job ends, it's great!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CloFan posted:

But the users already know excel, why would you ask them to learn a new product?

I know we're joking here, but in this context we aren't talking about end-users.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

CloFan posted:

State job, hourly employee. 40hrs per week, if I get more I have to take comp time at 1.5% sometime in the next 14 days.

At 5pm the job ends, it's great!

There's no way that works for project management. If you have zero leeway for overtime you better hope your deadlines have an enormous cushion.

But because it's state I'm sure timelines are skimpy and budgets are a joke so you better be prepared to be the scapegoat if you take that role.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Mail-enabled security groups are a good way to deal with this because then you can make someone an owner of that group, show them how to edit the group membership themselves, and then never hear from them again. Just be aware that adding someone to a group that has permissions on a mailbox doesn't do the automapping in Outlook that you'd get if you added them individually.

Son of a bitch. I was gonna do this until I read the last part.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's no way that works for project management. If you have zero leeway for overtime you better hope your deadlines have an enormous cushion.

But because it's state I'm sure timelines are skimpy and budgets are a joke so you better be prepared to be the scapegoat if you take that role.

Government moves at a glacial pace generally.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

big money big clit posted:

Government moves at a glacial pace generally.
No slower than any other megacorp like Oracle or Cisco or Citigroup

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Talking to the facilities manager about printers.

Printing color has been on by default since we started leasing the MFC's a couple years ago. Someone finally did the math and figured out that converting 50% of color prints to B&W would save a little over $10k per year.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GreenNight posted:

Son of a bitch. I was gonna do this until I read the last part.

Our AD distribution groups auto-maps in Outlook, using O365.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I dump this poo poo to elastic search with log stash and let a few non it employees access it via kibana. Pretty slick.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have Exchange 2010 soon going to be Exchange 2016 and we have two dozen+ email accounts which have dozens of users added with full access rights. Would prefer those be groups. But not if they don't get auto added to end users Outlooks.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Aunt Beth posted:

No slower than any other megacorp like Oracle or Cisco or Citigroup

Hah! No way. You think you know, but you don't.

I've worked for state governments, city governments, public utilities, and massive companies like Cisco and IBM.

Nothing moves as glacially as a government project.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It took 10 months to fully roll out Gmail :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LochNessMonster posted:

Prepare for a six pack per day.

during business hours. More outside of those

When my doctor asks me about my alcohol consumption, he already makes these little "tsk tsk" noises after I answer. That's why I have -project and -product in my search terms on job sites.

e:

CloFan posted:

It took 10 months to fully roll out Gmail :v:

HOW ?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wish our projects moved more slowly (state government). I'm just waiting to see my agency on the news after a data breach :shobon:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm in local government and my projects move at a good clip. I plan them, open them, do the work, project closed. It's probably a side effect of being so small that nobody stands in my way, but not all government is glacial.

Now the bank I used to work at, holy poo poo. 3 weeks to review a group policy change. Then 3 weeks to test and deploy. It was just consolidating mapped drives from login scripts.

A router refresh project spanned over a year, which was longer than I lasted there.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I work at a large financial management firm, and that sounds about right. Ask me about our RHEL4 Retirement program!

The secret is to be involved in a bunch of different projects with their own distinct roadblocks, so you always have something to do.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Super Slash posted:

You and me both brother, to be honest mine is more not having a single spare moment to do anything about it and there's a poo poo load of quality of life and core improvements I need/want to make to our infrastructure.

Since it's been brought up what's the barebones setup for this that's been asked a million times? We're using Server 2012r2 at the moment so say I spin up an VM and install WDS/MDT ready to do, how does all the licensing shenanigans work out? From what I understand you need to at least buy Reimaging rights but how does this work with OEM licenses? as we get HP machines with Win 7 Pro (now 10) preinstalled which would be ideal to use (volume licensing would be a hard sell at this point).

I use a KMS server for the license. Maybe someone else can elaborate? I too would like to know how to do this with OEM Licenses

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the current thinking for Windows 10 deployment is to apply a provisioning payload on top of the base OS, rather than re-imaging. There are some useful resources here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mt240567.aspx

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

I think the current thinking for Windows 10 deployment is to apply a provisioning payload on top of the base OS, rather than re-imaging. There are some useful resources here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mt240567.aspx

That's getting bookmarked.
Thank you!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
So I had my interview with Amazon yesterday, was one of the most technical interviews I've ever had. I never been asked to list what is sent in a 3 way TCP handshake and what are the different kind of TCP congestion control algorithms. It went well though so next stop is a trip to Seattle for a full-day of interviews. They're also starting to verify my references and job employment for the local management position so hopefully the timing of these two positions coincide nicely.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Sepist posted:

So I had my interview with Amazon yesterday, was one of the most technical interviews I've ever had. I never been asked to list what is sent in a 3 way TCP handshake and what are the different kind of TCP congestion control algorithms. It went well though so next stop is a trip to Seattle for a full-day of interviews. They're also starting to verify my references and job employment for the local management position so hopefully the timing of these two positions coincide nicely.

Congrats!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sepist posted:

If you accept a job there be careful of a hostile environment and don't kill yourself

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

I feel like the questions don't go with the job. Why would anybody memorize what happens on a 3 way tcp handshake?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The most boring kind of 3 way.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

I feel like the questions don't go with the job. Why would anybody memorize what happens on a 3 way tcp handshake?

It's relevant to this position. It's a small group working on NDA projects where I will get to use my programming and networking knowledge on whitebox hardware. They were asking very granular knowledge on OSPF and BGP also but that was more inline with what I would expect.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's those kinds of questions that are why I'll never leave my current job. I'm as high as it gets here, but I always get the sense that if I interview somewhere else I'm effectively a junior sys admin. I have no idea what happens during a TCP handshake nor do I care. If it doesn't work, I rebuild the server. If that doesn't work, I buy a new switch. If that doesn't work, I just kinda hem and haw until someone else fixes it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I didn't even know there were 3 way TCP handshakes and I've studied the poo poo out of it, maybe I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This is a tempting quality and I've thought about sending Amazon my resume.

From those that have worked there they've all told me you do a year or whatever you can put up with until you reach your breaking point, then apply at a partner and ride the gravy train towards retirement.