Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Like, Alien 3 is great, or Alien 3 Assembly Cut is great?

CelticPredator posted:

It's a direct-ish sequel to Prometheus, so you kinda need too. if only to see how awesome David is.

I was planning on it, but I assumed it'd be fine on its own. I figured it'd be a "You don't need to see Alien to enjoy Aliens" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Franchescanado posted:

They're both very good. Fincher has a great eye and the only real issues with the movie are some of the effects and some third act issues. Overall it's really cool though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I prefer the assembly cut, but they're both great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

GonSmithe posted:

I've literally never heard of people mixing three sodas together and calling it something

You don't remember OK Cola? It was the soda of the 90s!

If you don't recall, it was an actual product sold by the coca cola company that was basically a mix of Coke, orange soda, and Sprite. The marketing of it was the most hilariously transparent attempt at being hip and appealing to young people. Unsurprisingly it didn't take off and disappeared very quickly.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wish one company would try to release a new, hip product, like a soda, and market but market it at old folks. That would be cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wish one company would try to release a new, hip product, like a soda, and market but market it at old folks. That would be cool.

Around the same time as OK Cola, McDonald's was selling the Arch Deluxe.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

How about a phone?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Around the same time as OK Cola, McDonald's was selling the Arch Deluxe.

I remember these ads. Does any old goon remember if they were good or not?

I was thinking this was gonna come up, but it's not quite what I mean. OK Cola was marketed at young people, but it's a soda, there's no real reason why a retiree couldn't just go out and buy one. Granted, I know that old people are set in their ways, but you put OK Cola next to the Fixodent and wait for the magic to happen...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was thinking this was gonna come up, but it's not quite what I mean. OK Cola was marketed at young people, but it's a soda, there's no real reason why a retiree couldn't just go out and buy one. Granted, I know that old people are set in their ways, but you put OK Cola next to the Fixodent and wait for the magic to happen...

The slogans on the can were too hip and confusing for old people. They'd be all like "Why is this soda being so sarcastic?".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember these ads. Does any old goon remember if they were good or not?

I was a kid at the time, but media savvy enough to realise these were explicitly "not for kids" and not in a fun way like cigarettes or booze.

I loving loved OK Soda and would call the 1 800 number during lunch at school.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/859403273320771584

https://twitter.com/2dAmMuslim/status/859503529614073860

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm gonna get a suicide tomorrow. And a happy meal. They're doing Nintendo toys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I was a kid at the time, but media savvy enough to realise these were explicitly "not for kids" and not in a fun way like cigarettes or booze.

I think the ad worked on me. I thought the sauce probably had something in it that would have been nasty to kids with underdeveloped taste buds or something. I never got one, so I guess marketing works!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think the ad worked on me. I thought the sauce probably had something in it that would have been nasty to kids with underdeveloped taste buds or something. I never got one, so I guess marketing works!

Convincing kids your new burger is disgusting without convincing adults it's tasty is the opposite of effective marketing.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Arch Deluxe tasted pretty good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I don't think anyone ever actually answered your confusion so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQz97BYFrMY

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm gonna get a suicide tomorrow. And a happy meal. They're doing Nintendo toys.

Let me know if you get a princess peach my kid really wants one

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If anyone was wondering, my cat didn't make it. We got him to the vet yesterday and they did everything they could, but he could only hold on so long.

He was a goofy, wall eyed little guy who knew how to give high fives.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

If anyone was wondering, my cat didn't make it. We got him to the vet yesterday and they did everything they could, but he could only hold on so long.

:( really sorry to hear that. My cat's been having some health problems lately that thankfully seem manageable. I'd be absolutely inconsolable if anything happened to him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for your loss, he looked like a good buddy.

:(

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:( really sorry to hear that. My cat's been having some health problems lately that thankfully seem manageable. I'd be absolutely inconsolable if anything happened to him.

during my four years away from home my biggest fear was something happening to my cat when I wasn't there. I think that would have wrecked me like no other.

I'm sorry about your loss, Baron. that looks like a very good cat.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FishBulb posted:

Or maybe that's just the truth and not everything has to be some double twist reinterpretation of the obvious material

"Double twist reinterpretation" is some convoluted bullshit. It's a Wonderful Life is not "obvious material," you've simply confused not caring to think about something with there being no need to. Luckily, It's a Wonderful Life is my favorite movie of all time, so I really like to think about it.

Snak posted:

It's a Wonderful Life is basically "gently caress lovely people, what if A Christmas Carol happened to a good person who deserved saving."

Exactly, but to develop this further, A Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life are both 'ghost stories' that, while critical of certain capitalists, are absolutely not anti-capitalist. It's easy to take for granted the legend that, "Well, Red Scare, McCarthy era, blacklist, the FBI didn't like it, blah blah blah," but then you fall into FishBulb's problematic apathy. We assume that the material is obvious, when all that's obvious is that the surface text is actually incredibly nuanced, and that simplicity demands further scrutiny. While the post-war period was definitely one of heightened paranoia and anti-Communist political movements, that is not the same as people suddenly becoming good film critics or political commentators. It's a Wonderful Life portrays a banker as an unambiguous megalomaniac, but it does not finger capitalism as the fundamental source of conflict and antagonism in the film.

If you read the FBI memo on the film, it's basically a precursor of tvtropes: 'Communists use bankers as an easy target to discredit capitalism, and It's a Wonderful Life has that, ergo..." But superficial content has nothing to do with ideology. It is totally possible to articulate a reactionary conservative narrative in which a banker is a bad guy - which is to say, a populist narrative which is concerned not with capitalism as an unambiguously exploitative ideology, but with the vilification of certain 'bad guys' in order to reaffirm an imaginary order of capitalism as working 'for the people.' George Bailey is not an anti-capitalist. Rather, he's an intrepid individualist with fantasies of going off to college and becoming an explorer-slash-architect who feels trapped by his own sense of moral obligation to his community. When George gets in trouble with the law, there's a great symbolic out-pouring from the community that is then rendered completely mute when one of his old high school chums - a successful industrialist - gives him all the money he needs to save himself and the Building and Loan. Much like George's own encounter with Clarence, the whole Christmas Eve charity for George Bailey is just a smokescreen to distract the authorities, whereas, functionally, all that happens is that a wealthy capitalist saves a working-poor populist from the sort of unforeseeable crisis that, hypothetically, can not be solved outside of capitalist ideology.

To return to George Bailey's vision itself, it's important to reiterate that the majority of It's a Wonderful Life does not take place from George's perspective. Rather, it takes place through Clarence's abstracted gaze, with the angelic bodies of heaven narrating George's life as a movie. When Clarence moves from beyond the fourth wall into the symbolic order of the film-within-a-film, this signifies the total breakdown of the ostensibly optimistic narrative. This simultaneously divine and diabolical intercession is required because, unwittingly, the combination of the overly simplified social and moral forces acting upon George and the impossibility of a scenario in which capital is not essential to survival makes suicide too compelling. Clarence becomes a projection of what Capra self-consciously assumes the audience should want to do, which is to intercede and take part in the fulfillment of a Hollywood fairy tale.

drat shame. Sorry, Baron.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 3, 2017

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Aw man poor lil feller :smith:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Dang that's a cute cat, sorry man that sucks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My condolences, Baron. Losing a pet is never easy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dark Archie chat: How the gently caress do you people not know the difference between Prom and Homecoming?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You're asking goons to identify the differences between two types of high school social events?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You're asking goons to identify the differences between two types of high school social events?

I'm asking goons to recognize the difference between Fall and Spring.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sorry to hear this. I'm sure he was a great cat.

I just got out of The Lost City of Z, and I literally can not believe that the main character was played by Charlie Hunnam. He was acting! He was acting well!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Is one called the Fall Dance or what because otherwise no matter the season they're basically both just A Dance

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think Homecoming happens after a football game, whereas the Prom does not.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There is a homecoming after every football game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Homecoming usually happens after the first football game of the year and is usually the first school dance of the year, and it's the dance where Alumni are also invited, it's why everyone's parents were there. Having people's parents at Prom would be weird as hell and it's also usually the last dance of the year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Goons don't go outside

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fall is good and there are less wasps.

Spring is bad because there are more wasps.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
My senior prom was cool I ate the maraschino cherries in everybody's cups while they were dancing.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The "Mocktail Bartender" stopped serving me drinks because I was just getting them to eat the maraschino cherries.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

The "Mocktail Bartender" stopped serving me drinks because I was just getting them to eat the maraschino cherries.

Hey Michael Scott, how's Boulder?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Hey Michael Scott, how's Boulder?

A girl who'd had an inexplicable crush on me all year asked me to take a prom photo with her & I said sure but I also asked her to see if she could get any maraschino cherries from the bar (Bartender said "I'm not giving those out anymore")

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I had zero interest in my high school prom but a lot of people hounded me about it so I half considered it very briefly and I was going to go dressed up as the Joker. This was pre-Heath Ledger, so it wouldn't have been considered cool I probably would have just looked like a huge loving dork.

• Locked thread