Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Strobe posted:

Of armor, let alone all the of the points on the crunchy insides. :v:

As an aside, the current King of gently caress Off Mountain when it comes to BattleTech's record keeping is the Great Turtle, with over 800.

I've always loved battletech, and I play all the video games, and the card game when it was relevant lol.

But I've always been warned by people to avoid the tabletop game because it is crazy complicated. Not sure how true it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Black_Nexus posted:

I've always loved battletech, and I play all the video games, and the card game when it was relevant lol.

But I've always been warned by people to avoid the tabletop game because it is crazy complicated. Not sure how true it is

There's a lot of rolling for each shot but you generally only play 4v4 games so it's not that bad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Black_Nexus posted:

To be fair, that is literally the worst offender in the entire game, period, but it's still offensive.

I love BattleTech, and am actually a Demo Agent for the company that produces it, but even then I still recommend the quick-play version over the 'real thing' because of exactly that kind of concern.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Also isn't the Great Turtle the hardened armor one? Hardened armor doesn't have extra armor boxes, it just takes two damage rounded up to take off each box.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Black_Nexus posted:

Battletech's Alpha Strike ruleset is a desperately-needed breath of fresh air and a single oasis of streamlined game design in a lonely desert scattered with relics of 80's simulationism.

A bit off topic but a goon has just started an Alpha Strike scenario in his pbp thread if you're even moderately curious and, because it's play-by-post, it'll probably take a few weeks to resolve so you can follow it turn by turn at your leisure. And previous scenarios all use the original Battletech rules if you wanted to see exactly what it is your friends were warning you to stay away from:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1867#post471887943

Strobe isn't interested in it because it's a story set in an alternate universe timeline, but even some HBS Battletech devs follow it and it's a good read at any rate.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Xarbala posted:

Battletech's Alpha Strike ruleset is a desperately-needed breath of fresh air and a single oasis of streamlined game design in a lonely desert scattered with relics of 80's simulationism.

A bit off topic but a goon has just started an Alpha Strike scenario in his pbp thread if you're even moderately curious and, because it's play-by-post, it'll probably take a few weeks to resolve so you can follow it turn by turn at your leisure. And previous scenarios all use the original Battletech rules if you wanted to see exactly what it is your friends were warning you to stay away from:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1867#post471887943

Strobe isn't interested in it because it's a story set in an alternate universe timeline, but even some HBS Battletech devs follow it and it's a good read at any rate.

Alpha strike is cool and good.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Texmo posted:

I get the impression that random charges, combined with overwatch, are intended to make charging a gamble instead of a guaranteed thing.
The decision on whether or not to charge is less interesting if you know the outcome in advance; eating a couple of casualties in order to pulverize a squad in melee is a no-brainer, but maybe you don't want to gamble on a 10" charge that could end up with a couple losses for no gain?

Should they really be such a gamble if you have to weather heavy and small arms fire for two turns beforehand?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Xarbala posted:

Not a miniatures game, but Rifts has to be the worst hold-over from that era in terms of being buried under the weight of rules.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

muggins posted:

Should they really be such a gamble if you have to weather heavy and small arms fire for two turns beforehand?

There are a LOT of units in AOS that can charge first turn, due to extra movement abilities or charge boosts.

Mounted Daemonettes for example, move 14" +2d6+1 run and then also charge 2d6

So I am thinking a lot of 40k units will be able to as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GreenMarine posted:

Not a miniatures game, but Rifts has to be the worst hold-over from that era in terms of being buried under the weight of rules.

I'm impressed(?) that Palladium and Siembieda are even still around.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

Also isn't the Great Turtle the hardened armor one? Hardened armor doesn't have extra armor boxes, it just takes two damage rounded up to take off each box.

It actually doesn't round, you just cross through it once for the first point of damage, then again for the second. So the net effect is you are still tracking double the number of points.

Alpha Strike is absolutely cool and good.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Xarbala posted:

I'll have to give it a read, looks interesting

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have not been this excited about Warhammer in a long time. I have loved the painting and collecting, and I read a lot of the novels and stuff like that too.

This is the first time in years I have been excited about actually playing a game of 40k. I havn't been this excited to march my Nids into death in over a decade probably.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

Counting up suddenly begins to make a lot more sense.

Glad you finally admit it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I hope wraithlords are good. I decided on Eldar and I still love the poo poo out of those models. I also found a Death Masque sitting around at work I'm going to split with someone, so yay getting all those harlequins for like 50 bucks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

S.J. posted:

I hope wraithlords are good. I decided on Eldar and I still love the poo poo out of those models. I also found a Death Masque sitting around at work I'm going to split with someone, so yay getting all those harlequins for like 50 bucks.

They havnet been been bad for a long time so it's about time they sucked.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I don't remember the last time I saw a wraithlord model actually get used in lieu of the other wraith models.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
It's just at that sweet, awkward pricing spot in that you can add a bit more and get the beast that is the Wraithknight, or settle for 5 D-strength shots of a Wraithguard unit.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

The Bee posted:

From what I recall they said every vehicle is an assault vehicle now, so this should hopefully expand your range of options greatly.

I look forward to rhinos Tokyo-Drifting to spew their contents out the side access doors with momentum.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sephyr posted:

It's just at that sweet, awkward pricing spot in that you can add a bit more and get the beast that is the Wraithknight, or settle for 5 D-strength shots of a Wraithguard unit.

Yep. And now with d-weapons being gone and things like dreads having 7 or 8 wounds, I'm feeling hopeful.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ghazk posted:

I look forward to rhinos Tokyo-Drifting to spew their contents out the side access doors with momentum.

Bring in trukks spewing orks directly into combat Dawn of War 3 style, I'd say.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Miles O'Brian posted:

No fuckin' way

I'm ready for Orks to be at least playable again. Please don't suck, plastic Ghazghkull

If nothing else, the death of formations and other such bullshit should give them a huge boost

This. If Orks turn out not to suck now, I will be dangerously likely to start back up.

It was still the goddamn 1990's last time I played a real game of 40k. :orks101:

Sephyr posted:

I'm really anxious about how charging from vehicles will work. Assuming they have distinct move ranges, it can really boost a lot of engagements. My DE might even become viable again if can, say, disembark and charge after a Raider moves 10 inches because that's its basic MOV value.

If that works again, I'm back in business, because the return of the classic 'load up Trukks, drive at enemy, pile out and charge into melee' was way too fun not to be able to do it.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 3, 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

S.J. posted:

Yep. And now with d-weapons being gone and things like dreads having 7 or 8 wounds, I'm feeling hopeful.

Mortal wounds.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

adamantium|wang posted:

Mortal wounds.

I at least have a (faint) hope that the smaller d-weapons like D-Scythes will be doing fairly static low numbers of mortal wounds, rather than the ridiculous LOL 2D6 WOUNDS NO SAVES DELETE YOUR ARMY you could expect to get by spamming them before.

Plus I expect to see a lot of special rules that used to give cover saves (such as Jink) instead turned into negative To Hit modifiers. Doesn't matter how many saves that weapon ignores if it doesn't hit you.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 3, 2017

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I don't expect D-weapons to be gone in anything but name, knowing GW.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Soulfucker posted:

I don't expect D-weapons to be gone in anything but name, knowing GW.

They could be strength 99 rather than D.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm perfectly fine with D or it's equivalent so long as it's fairly distributed and balanced a bit better. The problem with it now is that it's essentially Eldar-only for shooting which was major bullshit. ITC rightfully nerfed D shooting hard but kept melee with the normal table, which really leveled things out. If everyone gets some and it's not "lol your Knight explodes in a single shot" good as it is now then okay. Having a better-than-lascannon option is fine, it's the overall implementation that's the problem.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

[...] it's the overall implementation that's the problem.

Agreed. In other words, we're probably screwed :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

SWA Tyranid question: how do you even buy two pair of rending claws when everyone starts with a pair of scything talons. Is there a point to having a mismatched pair of rending and scything?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/05/white-dwarf-offers-8th-edition-date.html

BoLS is thinking June 3 or 10.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

moths posted:

SWA Tyranid question: how do you even buy two pair of rending claws when everyone starts with a pair of scything talons. Is there a point to having a mismatched pair of rending and scything?

Tyranid weapons come in pairs, but don't count as being dual armed if you do. So if you have one set of scything talons, that's just your normal CCW. Some models can upgrade those to Rending Claws, which then gives the AP5 rending.

But then, as you said, you sometimes get two pairs of scything talons, or scything talons AND rending claws. Since you now have a second CCW, that gives you on extra attack. So, like for example on Genestealers, you can pay 3 points to give them scything talons. This effectively means you pay 3 points to give them an extra attack.

Used to be that having 2 pairs of scything talons let you re-roll to hit in close combat, but Cruddace thought that was too good for an NPC faction to have.

Edit: I see now that you were talking just about SWA. Please retract my bitching. :v:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sooner :ssh:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im sad that D weapons are gone

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Wow, GW support is being pretty cool about the voucher thing. It is looking like they are gonna give me a voucher even though I don't have the receipt as my GW manager vouched for me purchasing it within the timeframe.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Xarbala posted:

I'm impressed(?) that Palladium and Siembieda are even still around.

For some reason they have a dedicated following. I'm really not sure why.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
You know, if all vehicles become assault vehicles, I wonder if this will make Morkanauts/Gorkanauts worth taking.

Also, I can't wait for Zerker Rhino rushes coming back. Shame there are no new Berserkers models.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

For some reason they have a dedicated following. I'm really not sure why.

They won't be around much longer, they owe around $750k worth of items to backers and preorders and don't have any of the money left to pay for it.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

jadebullet posted:

You know, if all vehicles become assault vehicles, I wonder if this will make Morkanauts/Gorkanauts worth taking.

Also, I can't wait for Zerker Rhino rushes coming back. Shame there are no new Berserkers models.

Hopefully they'll come about with the inevitable World Eaters/Angron release.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So ADB just posted the cover of Black Legion to his blog, and it looks loving badass. (I would post it here but I am phone posting so it is a pain to resist thing)

Thousand Sons look loving badass in black armor.

https://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

jadebullet posted:

Well on the plus side, there's always these...
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/World-Eaters-Conversion-Set?_requestid=681105

• Locked thread