Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The Fury character design is pretty anime tbh. The backgrounds still look like Dio albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I'm curious to see if people bite on COD WW2 and how it will be handled. I just don't think the gameplay can really handle a historical game at this point without either making all of the guns suck or keeping them the same and having it feel ridiculously inauthentic. I guess it might work I dunno. I feel like battlefields gameplay has more room to get away with that stuff.

Also, man they are kind of making themselves look bad basically copying BF's strategy months after BF1 came out. From an outsider perspective it kind of seems that they are getting bested by Battlefield and trying to compete.
They'll have to give up on colorful gun skins. Can they give up on colorful gun skins? I don't think they can give up on colorful gun skins.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

They'll have to give up on colorful gun skins. Can they give up on colorful gun skins? I don't think they can give up on colorful gun skins.

It has zombies, it'll have colorful guns.

Honestly Battlefield One works so I'm sure WWII will work great.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

veni veni veni posted:

I'm curious to see if people bite on COD WW2 and how it will be handled. I just don't think the gameplay can really handle a historical game at this point without either making all of the guns suck or keeping them the same and having it feel ridiculously inauthentic. I guess it might work I dunno. I feel like battlefields gameplay has more room to get away with that stuff.
Uhh I'm not sure what you mean so perhaps I'm not understanding your point. COD started off with WW2 and has 4/5 games set in WW2 that were quite good. Did you never play them? There's absolutely no reason WW2 doesn't work and it has worked great for many games over the years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Xaris posted:

Uhh I'm not sure what you mean so perhaps I'm not understanding your point. COD started off with WW2 and has 4/5 games set in WW2 that were quite good. Did you never play them? There's absolutely no reason WW2 doesn't work and it has worked great for many games over the years.

If they can recapture the spirit of CoD and UO they're going to have a very good game indeed. The landing in CoD was loving incredible at the time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk that I'm interested in any cod that doesn't have wall running and double jumps tbh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

JBP posted:

If they can recapture the spirit of CoD and UO they're going to have a very good game indeed. The landing in CoD was loving incredible at the time.

I'd kill for a DoD: GO game myself. DoD was one of my favorite games ever, along with Natural Selection. But yeah CoD1/2 were really good, especially when you could still bunnyhop around in the first CoD, that was good times.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Xaris posted:

I know. I'm saying after a decade of making it faster and more high tech and bombastic it might be hard to sell their own fans a WW2 game without making the guns functionally identical to the near future guns they have been doing for a while. Not mention the wall running and double jumping they ripped off from titanfall.

I could be wrong it just seems like it would be an uphill battle unless they are willing to make a big departure from where the series has gone.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk that I'm interested in any cod that doesn't have wall running and double jumps tbh

This is why I'm cautious of WW2 but it's made by the people who made Advanced Warfare which was excellent so fingers crossed

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Xaris posted:

I'd kill for a DoD: GO game myself. DoD was one of my favorite games ever, along with Natural Selection. But yeah CoD1/2 were really good, especially when you could still bunnyhop around in the first CoD, that was good times.

NS was one of my favorite games ever. I was so stoked when NS2 launched.

At this point I'm more excited about finally being able to buy COD:MW separately in June or whatever those leaked things said. That's enough COD for me.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

veni veni veni posted:

I know. I'm saying after a decade of making it faster and more high tech and bombastic it might be hard to sell their own fans a WW2 game without making the guns functionally identical to the near future guns they have been doing for a while. Not mention the wall running and double jumping they ripped off from titanfall.
I don't think that's going to be a problem at all, people will play a new COD no matter and people still really like WW2 and i think even their general fans are sick of modern/itsy bit higher-tech modern. If anything they'll probably pick up a lot more sales from old geezers who like WW2 setting or others who've just been burned out on nearly the same modern game. Sure it's not going to be ~historically accurate~ and there are going to be liberal allowances with lot of automatic guns, but having a mix of bolt-action, semi, and auto always worked before.

Even bf1 was really just basically a WW2 game in all but skins/models+gas grenades with everyone running around with full-auto assault rifles and playing like a WW2 game, and that sold well and was fun to play (before being DICEd up)

Also bring back bunnyhopping imo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

NS was one of my favorite games ever. I was so stoked when NS2 launched.
NS2 was a huge disappointment but at the same time ended up being a lot better than I expected given Flayra's history. They made a lot of really stupid decisions that I think cost them (and the game). kind of a shame

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I know it's been done to death but I'm always game for a visually impressive Omaha landing done with whatever the highest level of current game tech will allow. Everything else will just be jingoistic flag wavey whatever anyway, it's a Call of Duty game and there's a Formula. At least in the WW2 setting it seems somewhat more appropriate (it's never really appropriate).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

COD has gone through an amazing cycle when you think of it. When Modern Warfare was first being developed everyone was sick to death of WW2 shooters, and now everyone's sick of future shooters and wants to go back to WW2.

Seeing some of those set pieces in shiny 2017 graphics is very appealing for me, at least.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's like nobody remembers Battlefield 1943

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Stop being wrong, goons.

https://twitter.com/JoeMadx/status/859477145541906432

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know we all made our peace with occasionally being Nazis in MP WW2 games a long time ago but you know, considering the current moment in history, I feel like that could turn out pretty badly? Like PSN/XBL might want to bring in an army of temps release week to mash those ban buttons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I know we all made our peace with occasionally being Nazis in MP WW2 games a long time ago but you know, considering the current moment in history, I feel like that could turn out pretty badly? Like PSN/XBL might want to bring in an army of temps release week to mash those ban buttons.

I feel like things have gone bad because there aren't enough WW2 games out where you shoot Nazis.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's like nobody remembers Battlefield 1943

I remember it

it didn't age so well but I wish dice would do another game like that. if they refuse to do a full bad company 3, make a 1943 sized one instead

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

This is why I'm cautious of WW2 but it's made by the people who made Advanced Warfare which was excellent so fingers crossed

OTOH the same people that brought the world Press F To Pay Respects are maybe gonna have a mission where you walk through a concentration camp

quote:

Everybody I hear from at Sledgehammer talks about taking care over the historical accuracy of World War II, and respecting what that conflict means to us today. As the game spans the full advance from Normandy into Germany, I have to ask if it takes the Nazi death camps as any of its settings.

I don’t get a straight answer, but I don’t get a denial, either.

CoD WW2 will sell a lot just because it's a return to BOOTS ON THE GROUND after 3 years of jetpack games. Because I have no idea what MP FPS I will play next year, I am hoping that since Sledgehammer has taken the safest route possible with SP, they're just gonna copy Black Ops 2 MP but with a WW2 setting since that's all the community really wants.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
It'll never happen but I would love a return to CoD 2 style MP. I'm loving sick of grinding for guns and attachments. Just lemme use everything I paid for assholes. I loving love BF1 but it's weapon unlock system was heinous. You have to rank up to earn warbonds and you have to rank up each class separately to unlock guns to even buy them with warbonds. Plus each gun costs 200 warbonds and you only earn 90 per level at first. Who the gently caress designed that? And to use the DLC guns you have to complete assignments like getting 20 headshot kills with a lovely SMG. I'm sick of that poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sakurazuka posted:

It should be illegal to call all CG crap a 'trailer'

The Call of Duty trailer was "All In-Game Footage"! You know, because the cutscene is technically part of the game

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Call of Duty has been long dead to me because its engine is archaic at this point

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoyed Infinite Warfare because it was basically The Expanse in video game form

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah the IW single player was fantastic, definitely the best of all the CoD campaigns that I've played. I've learned not to expect too much from the level and encounter design in those games, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how tight a package IW was.

Shame about the multiplayer, though.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What was wrong with IW's multiplayer?

Last time I played COD multi was an Advanced Warfare free weekend.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well it came out around the same time as Titanfall 2, whose multi was strictly superior

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Pretty sure they introduces gear ratings to weapons e.g. uncommon, epic, legendary. Legendary versions of weapons have different bonuses like infinite range. To get good versions of guns you either have to buy gear boxes which also contain gun camos and attachments. You can earn keys to unlock the boxes but you earn keys slowly. Or you can craft them with salvage. You earn like 10 salvage in a 10 minute game. An epic version of a gun costs 6900 salvage. You can see the issue. Now they may have changed this but it basically comes down to either poopsocking the game or spending money. And even if you spend money there's no guarantee you'll even get what you want. It's serious horseshot.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Live At Five! posted:

Pretty sure they introduces gear ratings to weapons e.g. uncommon, epic, legendary.

Aw man, that's all you had to say. Get that MMO poo poo outta here (here being gaming entirely)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's a mediocre copy of last year's game, and it took 4 months to get the game to feature parity with last year's game. Plus CoD's servers are a trash fire when compared to every other MP FPS in 2017.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well it came out around the same time as Titanfall 2, whose multi was strictly superior

True dat.

It still baffles me that Titanfall 2 didn't dominate the market after how good it was. I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to play COD again.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

True dat.

It still baffles me that Titanfall 2 didn't dominate the market after how good it was.

Quality has never been the thing that makes something dominate a market.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. But it has the same appeal as COD and more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. But it has the same appeal as COD and more.

It didn't have the marketing and established playerbase of cod though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah for sure. It's just a goddamn shame. The MP seems to be picking up this last month though, so hopefully it doesn't depopulate into a cult game where you have to wait 10 minutes for a match anytime soon.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Word was that the hardcore CoD fans hated IW's space and lasers setting so I have to imagine they'd like Titanfall even less.

And yeah I think IW MP is not a particularly good game when compared with Titanfall (although the SP is easily on par with TF2's campaign IMO), but its enough of a mess on its own merits with all the loot crate, dual currency, and rare weapon garbage.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Problem with TF2 was it was sandwiched between BF1 and CoD:IW. EA tossed it out to die between the two biggest shooter franchises. It couldn't even benefit from IW being the most tepidly received CoD in ages because BF1 was so well received due to doing something different. If people are truly sick of future shootmans then TF2 has nothing to offer them. It's the reason I chose BF1 over any of the other games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's baffling to me that so many people seem to hate the future stuff and want more modern/past stuff

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People liking different things are kind of weird yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I'm sick of modern shooters but I'd be interested in things set in the past if it's been overlooked, like WW1 or Korea. Hell even a Vietnam setting isn't as overdone as WW2 or modern shooters. My issue with the CoD style future setting is that it doesn't seem all that different from a modern setting, just with lasers and wall running. Plus something set in reality feels like it has more weight to it. BF1 got me to learn a hell of a lot more on WW1 than I would ever know if it was never made.