Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Anakin is not Darth Vader.

They were owned by Leia's mom and then were passed on to Leia's adoptive father.

At that point he had already killed those Sand People. He was Vader. This is canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yaws posted:

I don't think you know what a joke is.
Gag, amusing sidenote, whatever you want to call it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yaws posted:

At that point he had already killed those Sand People. He was Vader. This is canon.

Ignoring the scene in the next movie where he was crowned Vader.

Well, actually, there is a good argument that was his first walk to the darkside, but it would be years before he fell.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Did Taintfucker not read the thread? He/She/Tezzor is repeating the exact same things that have been posted probably over 100 times. It's getting pretty annoying.

Also, the original trilogy is bad because it was badly written, badly directed, and poorly acted. I can forgive the acting though since they had to deal with blue screen and talk to people with their hands up a puppets anus.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Covok posted:

Ignoring the scene in the next movie where he was crowned Vader.

So that's the criteria? He's not a bad guy until some old man in bad makeup says so?

I don't think you really "get" Star Wars

UmOk posted:

Did Taintfucker

grow up

Yaws fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 3, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yaws posted:

My favorite part of the prequels is C3PO and R2 being at Darth Vaders wedding. Remember that? Doesn't that make the OT better? Knowing C3PO was the best man at Darth Vaders wedding?

Just awful awful stuff

I don't get why Anakin's son and foul mouthed friend being at Anakin's wedding detracts anything from the OT. In fact, it adds some dramatic irony.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

No, canon would be the point where Palpatine officially changed Anakin's name to Vader (forcing everyone to update their wikis). And then, beyond canon, Anakin did not actually become Vader until the mask was installed.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't get why Anakin's son and foul mouthed friend being at Anakin's wedding detracts anything from the OT. In fact, it adds some dramatic irony.

Luke was not at Vaders wedding and the droids being there is another instance of Lucas awkwardly cramming in major characters from the OT. It's kinda hilarious when you watch the originals and recontextualize all the dopey poo poo from the PT.

Lucas knew what fans wanted and they got it but the films suffered for it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Anakin doesn't become Vader until he does the one thing so unforgivable that he can't walk back from it, and so entirely cuts ties with his old identity.

It's not killing the Tuskens, he still would have a chance there if he'd told Obi-Wan and sought to redeem himself. Palpatine names him after he kills Mace and basically declares war on the Jedi Order, which isn't a bad choice, all things considered. But he's still clearly conflicted by Mustafar, so personally, I'd say the moment he really becomes Vader in his own mind is killing Padme.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

C-3PO is Anakin's first born, you dolt. :ssh:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Anakin doesn't become Vader until he does the one thing so unforgivable that he can't walk back from it, and so entirely cuts ties with his old identity.

I would argue that mass murder is irredeemable. At least that's what our society has landed on.

The guy was a lost cause after that.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yaws posted:

Luke was not at Vaders wedding and the droids being there is another instance of Lucas awkwardly cramming in major characters from the OT. It's kinda hilarious when you watch the originals and recontextualize all the dopey poo poo from the PT.
So recontextualizing is...bad? The OT isn't some precious fragile thing that needs to be preserved in amber. Big parts of ANH entirely changed in meaning when Vader became Luke's father, both of the first two changed when ROTJ added its revelations to the mix, the whole trilogy changed with the PT, and TFA and R1 are still putting all the movies in a new context. It's part of telling a serial storyline, and a good thing. An installment that told us exactly what we already knew and changed nothing about how we saw the rest would be pointless.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

I would argue that mass murder is irredeemable. At least that's what our society has landed on.

You're losing track of your own point. The mass murder, regardless of whether you consider it excusable or not, was committed by the human Anakin Skywalker.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yaws posted:

Did you sleep through Return of the Jedi?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jewmanji posted:

There's a cool moment in the commentary track for TPM, during the scene where Qui-Gon is disemboweling the blast doors of the Trade Federation ship, where Lucas said he wanted to Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon to evoke a kind of unstoppable force in that moment, akin to Godzilla. Lucas' depiction of the Jedi in the prequels is so wonderfully disorienting.

As has been noted elsewhere, it visually quotes the climax of known good movie "Forbidden Planet."

Lord Hydronium posted:

So recontextualizing is...bad? The OT isn't some precious fragile thing that needs to be preserved in amber. Big parts of ANH entirely changed in meaning when Vader became Luke's father, both of the first two changed when ROTJ added its revelations to the mix, the whole trilogy changed with the PT, and TFA and R1 are still putting all the movies in a new context. It's part of telling a serial storyline, and a good thing. An installment that told us exactly what we already knew and changed nothing about how we saw the rest would be pointless.

Yeah. Even Rogue One, which told us very little we didn't know, expanded the scope of Imperial arrogance to extend not only to their creation but also to the process by which it was created, and posed and resolved the question of why it took nearly twenty years for the Rebellion to accomplish any victory.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 3, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're losing track of your own point. The mass murder, regardless of whether you consider it excusable or not, was committed by the human Anakin Skywalker.
Yeah, pinning all the bad poo poo Anakin does on a villain named "Vader" is what Obi-Wan does as a coping mechanism. Spoiler: it turns out to be the wrong choice.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 3, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well yes, but there is degrees of severity. Threepio and R2 being witness at Vaders wedding doesn't add anything relevant to the Star Wars universe. It's just a stupid and needless aside. It's unintentionally funny.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

Well yes, but there is degrees of severity. Threepio and R2 being witness at Vaders wedding doesn't add anything relevant to the Star Wars universe. It's just a stupid and needless aside. It's unintentionally funny.

Why wouldn't Anakin's son and son-in-law be there?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yaws posted:

Id probably invite my son and his life partner, who saved my wifes life, to my wedding but hey thats me.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, pinning all the bad poo poo Anakin does on a villain named "Vader" is what Obi-Wan does as a coping mechanism. Spoiler: it turns out to be the wrong choice.

Not only that, but any idiot can commit a mass murder. Vader is beyond such things. "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Why wouldn't Anakin's son and son-in-law be there?

Darth Vader has one son. His name is Luke Skywalker.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

Droids are people.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Yaws posted:

C3PO is a person.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Droids are people.
Oh come on. This gets brought up every few pages. Give it a rest.

Droids are tools. C3PO was built from trash by a slave to help with housework.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

You seem to have confused a talking, thinking, feeling slave with a roomba.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

C3P0 is arguably less a slave than Anakin was given that his head wouldnt explode if he pissed off Anakin.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Yaws posted:

C3PO was built from trash by a slave to help with housework.

He's still a person.

You were built from dead animals and plants by mitochondria to help propagate their genetic material. You are a tool too. And also a person.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How characters treat with droids reveals alot about them.

Tools don't scream in pain when tortured.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

C3P0 is arguably less a slave than Anakin was given that his head wouldnt explode if he pissed off Anakin.

Well, droids wear chains of a different kind.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

TheKingofSprings posted:

Did you sleep through Return of the Jedi?
Now here's a question: is there any way Palpatine could have been redeemed? In the otherwise not-very-good Legends comic Dark Empire, Luke tries to do just that (and fails because, well, Palpatine). It's a very Luke thing to try, but would it even be possible? How much evil makes someone unforgivable?

Yaws posted:

Well yes, but there is degrees of severity. Threepio and R2 being witness at Vaders wedding doesn't add anything relevant to the Star Wars universe.
I mean, it adds as much as them being witnesses to anything else - basically, the droids are the everymen of the story through whose eyes the saga is told (and that idea goes all the way back to drafts of ANH). The wedding itself is kind of interesting since it's such a secret - and two of the attendees are dead and one is mindwiped, so other than the random nameless Naboo priest, Artoo is the only being in the universe who remembers the event that ultimately led to the fall of Anakin and the birth of Luke and Leia.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 3, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

How characters treat with droids reveals alot about them.

Tools don't scream in pain when tortured.

It betrays a lack of empathy for people that do not resemble them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Yaws posted:

How could his son and his best man not be there?

(The son and best man are later gifted between the bride and groom).

Yaws posted:

Bringing up one of the major themes of Star Wars in the Star Wars thread? Next we'll be talking about the Force and its Dark Side or the politics of fascism and rebellion.

In Droid Talk, the best character in the KoToR games in the murderdroid programmed to call organics "meatbags" and who loves murdering non-Droids. I don't think that's even controversial, although Kreia and Jolee Bindo are also popular choices. Incidentally all have something to say about the main themes of Star Wars.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 3, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

How could his son and his best man not be there?

(The son and best man are later gifted between the bride and groom).

Hm. Upon reflection, identifying Artoo as the best man is definitely a more accurate reason for him to be there. They still barely knew each other by that point, didn't they?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

That thinking and feeling ain't real chum. It was programmed into them by a sentient being. You could tinker around with C3PO and completely change his "personality".

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Bongo Bill posted:

Hm. Upon reflection, identifying Artoo as the best man is definitely a more accurate reason for him to be there. They still barely knew each other by that point, didn't they?

I'm not actually sure, to be honest.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yaws posted:

That thinking and feeling ain't real chum. It was programmed into them by a sentient being. You could tinker around with C3PO and completely change his "personality".

Well, there are two objections here. The first one is that you can tinker around with a human brain and change their personality as well. The second one is that I can't tinker around with C-3PO because he's a fictional being from a setting in which it's impossible to create a robot that isn't also a person.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bongo Bill posted:

They blew up a Droid Control Ship together!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yaws posted:

brain so smooth its basically a kidney bean

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
You can't tinker with a real person and change their personality, nor are they created by people, I say as I take my antidepressant to cope with the stresses of parenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Now here's a question: is there any way Palpatine could have been redeemed? In the otherwise not-very-good Legends comic Dark Empire, Luke tries to do just that (and fails because, well, Palpatine). It's a very Luke thing to try, but would it even be possible? How much evil makes someone unforgivable?

I mean, it adds as much as them being witnesses to anything else - basically, the droids are the everymen of the story through whose eyes the saga is told (and that idea goes all the way back to drafts of ANH). The wedding itself is kind of interesting since it's such a secret - and two of the attendees are dead and one is mindwiped, so other than the random nameless Naboo priest, Artoo is the only being in the universe who remembers the event that ultimately led to the fall of Anakin and the birth of Luke and Leia.

I personally feel it'd be an insult to Palpatine's character for him to be redeemed or to be shown altrustic in any way. But, that's just me.

• Locked thread