Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Expert drops mods just fine. Ive gotten two at a time in some cases.

Thanks! I had no idea expert packs had a secondary slot. Since advanced packs didn't seem to have one, I only bought a few expert packs before switching to premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Stelio Kontos posted:

Yeah pubbies are jerks, but i dont have much of a choice, according to the OP I'm one of 3 goons playing on the bone.

I am also playing on the xbone, I'm not very good though
ADEPT404

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't even realize there were barrel mods until I got my first one in an expert pack yesterday for a pistol.

I get a barrel mod almost every single Premium pack I open now. It's awful. It always gives me a barrel mod and a character I never use. Except for the last one which gave me two UR's that I already had. I just know for a certainty that my last UR is going to be an Angara Avenger!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Stelio Kontos posted:

Yeah pubbies are jerks, but i dont have much of a choice, according to the OP I'm one of 3 goons playing on the bone.

There's a few of us on the bone, but I think we all shelved the game until a patch that actually matters comes through

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hello folks, this has popped up on reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfVU5b_ZIaA

It's very interesting, and people are going to be building their infiltrators using this information. Don't be one of them, because it's not fully accurate and actually pretty easy to test for yourself. I'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat, and here's my story.

I took two otherwise identical infiltrators into the tutorial mission, one with cloak 4b, 5a, 6b and one with just cloak 4b, and used the disruption field generators (the first objectives) to test weapon damage (they don't dodge, don't shoot back, and don't have weak points, so it makes it nice and methodical).

With an Avenger X and no mods, it took 10 uncloaked shots or 6 cloaked shots to destroy a field generator. After loving around for frankly longer than was sensible, I found that with 6b I could shoot to the side, count a long second, and still finish off the field generator in 6 shots. Without 6b it was impossible to do this. I could destroy the generator in 6 shots without 6b, but only if I fired them all immediately and as quickly as possible.

From observation, this how I think tactical cloak is actually working:
The damage bonus of tactical cloak applies from the moment you attack and persists for a short period of time after the cloak effect breaks (lets call this time X).
Without 6b, cloak breaks immediately after you attack. So the damage bonus persists for X.
With 6b, cloak breaks two seconds after you attack. So the damage bonus persists for 2 seconds + X.

While X is an appreciable amount of time, it's not 2 whole seconds like this guy claims. It's nowhere near it. In my (very) rough estimation, X is about half a second.

This worked the same whether I used automatic fire, or clicked for each shot. I also tried this with a Predator X, to see if autos and semi autos behaved differently. They don't.

tldr: combat cloak gives you more deeps.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So I tried the Mattock out in the bronze outlaw assault rifle skirmish apex mission today thinking I could net some tolerable Mattock challenge points.

With the assault rifle damage equipment and an assault rifle rail amp it ALMOST felt like it was a worthwhile gun. on bronze. With a 50% damage boost. At rank X on a soldier built for weapon damage. I feel like in this scenario three headshots to kill a basic bronze raider is not acceptable.

I don't want to give up on this gun because feel and accuracy-wise it reminds me a lot of the L95A1 in Battlefield 2, my very favorite semi-automatic rifle in a shooter ever; but I'm pretty sure at this point it needs a literal 100% base damage boost, if not slightly more than that.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Welp, I just learned not to use the Charge power out of an Ascendant insta-kill bubble because he will teleport with you to your location and kill you anyways.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Thor-Stryker posted:

Welp, I just learned not to use the Charge power out of an Ascendant insta-kill bubble because he will teleport with you to your location and kill you anyways.

Trust Bioware to take what should be a great moment in gameplay and kill you for it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Relentless posted:

Trust EA meddling to force Bioware to take what should be a great moment in gameplay and kill you for it.

Fixed that for you

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Fixed that for you

Fair nuf.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thor-Stryker posted:

For all the justified complaining about sync kills, at least the ascendant warns you. I cannot get over the fact that the moment a Fiend is in range, you're dead. Comparing to Brutes, who are really the closest equivalent, they had to get close, melee a couple of times, and then they could grab you. It was telegraphed enough that you had a fair shot of getting away. I cannot fathom the decision to have fiends just straight murder you, particularly when they are as tough as they are.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They're actually supposed to have a tell, it's just roughly as short as the ascendant's despite not having a loud sound effect to go with it and not being that notable, and often does not trigger at all, even though the sync kill itself does.

Also sometimes the ascendant's sync kill gets you even when you're far out of the zone, just like telefiends. Never fight kett. I hope someone is tweeting gifs of telefiends at the developers because they cannot be made fun of enough.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
On the other hand, always fight kett because they only have shields and can all be owned by biotics.

Not everyone is a scrubby scrub like you Digirat.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://giant.gfycat.com/SoulfulBaggyCavy.webm

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 2, 2017

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Fiends TTK a player: 1.5 seconds.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I love the mournful spamming of the 4 key on the 2nd cobra during the lag. Which also caused it to miss.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I can sympathize with people's hatred of buggy sync kills, but Remnants drive me nuts with their ridiculous intended behaviors. Breachers going berserk from miles away and turning into heat-seeking missiles. Observers flying anywhere they want and melting me in seconds. Nullifiers having a stun beam that goes through walls and having armor to prevent biotic priming AND having shields. They basically require ammo consumables for biotic classes.

And Outlaws have Berserkers' and Hydras' wall of stunlock (although that's at least manageable if you can get away) and sharpshooters magic laser pointers that don't even line up with where their guns are pointing.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

fiends.webm

I wanted to post this in the thread but gave up after my first try didn't work, so thanks.

This game has too much lag for these sync kills. If I had noticed the Ascendant's orb had been popped I might've run in his direction, but I was obviously focused on something else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Singularity primes Armor, and Remnant are pretty easy for Asari Adept as well, certainly better than Kett anyway. gently caress Kett forever. Anointed and Destined can eat a dick. Just one dick. They can drat well share it.

e: Though I will say, I think that everyone should consider having an Ammo booster mandatory, at least for Gold. They're trivially cheap to get and extremely useful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah, if you are not a vanguard or perhaps an asari adept, I think remnant are the easiest

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Digirat posted:

They're actually supposed to have a tell, it's just roughly as short as the ascendant's despite not having a loud sound effect to go with it and not being that notable, and often does not trigger at all, even though the sync kill itself does.

Also sometimes the ascendant's sync kill gets you even when you're far out of the zone, just like telefiends. Never fight kett. I hope someone is tweeting gifs of telefiends at the developers because they cannot be made fun of enough.

Sync kills are garbage in every game

Also garbage is how certain enemies can stomp on your loving head with no warning in mp so you can't get rezzed

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Even more than the sync kills, I'm slowly growing to despise the overuse of "lol cover" abilities by Berserkers and Nullifiers. At least with Adhi and Wraiths, their grab loving you out of cover is balanced against the chance to kill them as they bumrush you. But with those enemies rocking armor, they just get to spam that poo poo every five seconds with impunity until you can finally put them down with enough firepower.

Not exactly a huge deal when you're already hunkered down, but absolutely maddening when you are seeking new cover on the move to regen from a different fight and they can just snipe you right through solid objects with a stunlock animation. Berserkers in particular, because those assholes will chase you. :ohdear:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Guess this Ascendant learned not to have a weak-point on their bubble-shield:

He could launch the roving deathballs all day. Shooting at the spot where the weak-point would be, did nothing.
It took a Cobra round to break the shield to which he immediately reset it, at least after the reset the weak-point showed up again.

Why Bioware.... why?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Error 404 posted:

I am also playing on the xbone, I'm not very good though
ADEPT404

I came to this thread just to discover this. Tag is the same as here, I have a mic and will gently caress around having fun and trying to win without being all tryhard about it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Thor-Stryker posted:

Why Bioware.... why?

Now I think perhaps, and follow me on this one cause I know it's wild, that isn't intended the behavior of the unit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When did they add the cloudy version of Sandstorm?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I can sympathize with people's hatred of buggy sync kills, but Remnants drive me nuts with their ridiculous intended behaviors. Breachers going berserk from miles away and turning into heat-seeking missiles. Observers flying anywhere they want and melting me in seconds. Nullifiers having a stun beam that goes through walls and having armor to prevent biotic priming AND having shields. They basically require ammo consumables for biotic classes.

And Outlaws have Berserkers' and Hydras' wall of stunlock (although that's at least manageable if you can get away) and sharpshooters magic laser pointers that don't even line up with where their guns are pointing.

Half a dozen observers spawned in a rough circle around my Krogladiator and I kind of just resigned myself to death.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Thor-Stryker posted:

Why Bioware.... why?

Sometimes problems really are legitimately a bug and not an intended behavior.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like people should play something else until the MP in this doesn't suck as much

I agree, I can feel that there's a good game deep inside but right now it's covered in poo poo sandwich

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have any tips on the Human Engineer and Infiltrator classes? started playing this morning and a bit lost on how to spec or what equipment is good to use.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone have any tips on the Human Engineer and Infiltrator classes? started playing this morning and a bit lost on how to spec or what equipment is good to use.

Engineer can equip a lot of items, assault turret is pretty mediocre but the 6 powers can be okay if they work (which they don't sometimes). I spec'd mine at 61666 and used a vanquisher for long range and a talon for short range. I spec'd for the 50% weight.

I just got to 20 on my infiltrator, maxed shields, cloak but honestly i mostly just shot things with my vanquisher.

Basically, just use a vanquisher if you have one. If you don't, I've had some success with other snipers like the Lanat, Raptor and Inferno. Both of these classes are pretty heavily reliant on their guns. If you don't have decent guns yet I'd play around with something else first.

It kinda sucks that the infiltrator human cannot really get anything that will let them equip some of the better rifles without taking a hit to recharge but gently caress it, you don't really use powers much when you play one.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Engineer can equip a lot of items, assault turret is pretty mediocre but the 6 powers can be okay if they work (which they don't sometimes). I spec'd mine at 61666 and used a vanquisher for long range and a talon for short range. I spec'd for the 50% weight.

I just got to 20 on my infiltrator, maxed shields, cloak but honestly i mostly just shot things with my vanquisher.

Basically, just use a vanquisher if you have one. If you don't, I've had some success with other snipers like the Lanat, Raptor and Inferno. Both of these classes are pretty heavily reliant on their guns. If you don't have decent guns yet I'd play around with something else first.

It kinda sucks that the infiltrator human cannot really get anything that will let them equip some of the better rifles without taking a hit to recharge but gently caress it, you don't really use powers much when you play one.

Ummmmm..... tactical cloak???

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

Ummmmm..... tactical cloak???

I mentioned cloak but really you can kill poo poo just as well without it. It's good in a panic or for rezzing stupid pubbies I guess.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think the best gun I have is the L89 Halberd(?) which I literally just pulled. Other than that I have very basic gear. Spamming the 5000 packs atm to rank stuff up and get consumables.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Halberd isn't great. Go with vanguard or biotics until you get up to playing gold and then go back to a shootier class when you get something decent. Vanguards and Biotics are all pretty fun to play so it's not that bad.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Sometimes problems really are legitimately a bug and not an intended behavior.

Yeah, but they happen. I've seen it twice, plus once somebody using throw got an Ascendant stuck in the ceiling and his orb was all blocked by terrain. Somebody had to get sync killed to teleport him out.

Not intended, but it exists, and he's allowed to bitch, because it's bullshit.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I was playing my Asari Adept this morning and finally got to the last level of Annihilation and took the floatie option. It is great because sometimes I turn around and there will be a dude who got too close and is now floating and primed, but of course he is like face-level high or skidding across the floor and I can't melee him. Is there one weird trick to punching floating dudes? I can't get my shields back if I don't punch dudes. Or should I respec and take the +shields on kill skill?

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
No, respec and take the one that gives shields when enemies are affected by biotics. It's the option that competes against shield on punches.

Every time someone enters Annihilation or you use Throw on a redbar, you will get +40% shields. How it works is that it increases your current and maximum shields by 40% for a few seconds. After the duration runs out, your maximum shields lose the +40%, but your current shields are unaffected.

What this means is that when you're low on shields, you end up running towards things. Having Vortex also helps, as things you run towards start floating and stop shooting you. Takes some getting used to, you're rarely allowed to slow down, you'll rarely be at full health, but if you do it right you'll be blowing things up all day and you'll never go down.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zakmonster posted:

No, respec and take the one that gives shields when enemies are affected by biotics. It's the option that competes against shield on punches.

Every time someone enters Annihilation or you use Throw on a redbar, you will get +40% shields. How it works is that it increases your current and maximum shields by 40% for a few seconds. After the duration runs out, your maximum shields lose the +40%, but your current shields are unaffected.

What this means is that when you're low on shields, you end up running towards things. Having Vortex also helps, as things you run towards start floating and stop shooting you. Takes some getting used to, you're rarely allowed to slow down, you'll rarely be at full health, but if you do it right you'll be blowing things up all day and you'll never go down.

Wow, that does sound great, I was going to go float field on my Krogan Gladiator, but I guess I'll do this instead. Help get that rage triggered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Soonmot posted:

Wow, that does sound great, I was going to go float field on my Krogan Gladiator, but I guess I'll do this instead. Help get that rage triggered.

If there's an enemy within punching range you are effectively immortal as the Krogladiator until you get sync killed.

• Locked thread