Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

After last night's... interesting heads-up from that one weird kid, I guess that explains why there's moons on the day calendar here and a constant reminder on the main HUD too...

So, first day of Golden Week! It's a 3 day holiday, though really it's just 2 since the first is a Sunday.

Hmm, Sunday... that reminds me.

:siren: Current Net Price Tanaka :siren:
super recommended double plus pro click

quote:

Current Net Price Tanaka in your television
Everyone's friend of desire

Hmm, translating it sounds rather clunky huh. Oh well, that's what the opening actually says (though it's not translated in-game).

We'll show you great items at unbeatable prices! Ooh, you won't be able to touch that dial!
Let's bring out our item of the day!

quote:

Current Net Price Tanaka in your television
Shop, it's now or never

Oh my goodness! I can't believe its wondefulness!
But wait, there's more!

We could totally not buy this, but if we either can't afford it or opt to not but it then we lose the chance permanently.

Honestly, Tanaka's is such a good deal in general, that missing out here sucks so much. Granted we don't get the stuff until Tuesday...

See you next Sunday, same time, same channel!

> The catchy song starts up again...

> The shopping program is over.

Welp, that's it for this week. Now to find something less important to do...

Iwatodai Dorm

Sure am.
drat you, you backstabber!
Well, go right ahead then. The door's right there. Don't worry 'bout me. I'll just be here, doing nothing.

The bigger it is, the more enemies there are inside it.
And watch out for those red Shadows.

Know what you're getting into before you attack one.

How do you know about that, Akihiko? They sure don't appear at the start of Tartarus and none are in Thebel at all...

Will you be able to fight with only three members until he returns?
Of course.
C'est magnifique! Then, I'll be counting on you.

Oh wait, it's Sunday! drat I nearly forgo--

Nooooooo :negative:

And now, the news.

Today we'll look at the epidemic of youth depression, including an interview with the leader of the...

And then it just ends. Welp, okay.

When The Moon's Reaching Out Stars / Way of Life

Alright, so, while we're out ever-so-briefly we could totally sell all this trash gear we've picked up. Getting it from Shuffle Time isn't quite as efficient as just taking the money outright but it's not really bad either.

Oh and those Empress's Masks are just for use here flipping them for an easy 6k. Gonna have to remember to do that sometime.

Although she's late... Hmm. I wonder where she is...

But, uh, it's a Sunday so we're limited in what we can do right now. That means I guess we can stay inside and study, go to the movies or do the needful and play an MMO.

Let's be real, there's only one option here.

Joy

> You don't see any other players.

> The girl in gray signs on.

u remember me rite? =/
...Have we met?

> The other player seems sad.

Hey, if you're going to reference Persona 2 and then try and act like it's clever, you're not allowed to get mad when I do it too!

hmm... what kinda people r we, playing inside on such a beautiful day?
Sunshine is overrated.
HahaHAha!! dman straight! XD

> It seems like Maya is amused.

lol... we're s'posed to be leveling, but we jus keep on chatting =3
but hey, grinding gets old rite? its more fun talking to u, tatsuya.

> Maya opened up to you.

> Your relationship is stronger now!

Oh poo poo, I figured it out. It's Sunday which means sales day which means... Maya is Saitama!

Ace detective!

> Maya's player signed off.

> You decided to log out as well.

Honestly, it's amazing that we're even capable of putting up with this thing even if it IS for S.Link purposes. Makoto always looks so bored in these scenes, moreso than at any other time.

Also Maya does indeed just steal our nighttime slot too. For some unexplained reason. It's kinda very dumb!

Let's see, today is a Monday which means we can't Tanaka again. We could spend today with Maya as well, but that's not really ideal. Hmm...

Iwatodai Dorm

During these times, you may encounter an enemy. So if you think you're in danger, use Request Help immediately.
When you do, I will contact the others and request that they assist you.

Honestly, I'm impressed that Akihiko can sleep with something on his face like that. Just like in general.

Today's subject is a 20-year-old girl with bright blond hair.

...Next is the news. Pain, pain, go away!

So the second guest we've seen on Who's Who is Lisa "Ginko" Silverman, an American girl who... can't actually speak English because she wasn't taught it. Because her dad is a weeb. Really. She's got a super-obvious crush on Tatsuya, is super into Bruce Lee and kung-fu movies in general and decided to try to learn Cantonese in lieu of Japanese to spite her lovely parents. Lisa's primary Arcana was the Lovers, and her default Persona is Eros, the overtly on the nose Greek God of Love. She's a playable character... in Innocent Sin... and only an NPC in Eternal Punishment.

Hanging out with friends is nice, but it's important to get some alone time too.

So, that's today down the drain. We're gonna try again tomorrow.
I always have the worst luck on my days off...

'Sunfortunate, that. We're also fairly limited on what we can do today right now, but it's fine since we have just the thing.

We could totally do Maya again, but this is a day that gives us effectively guaranteed bookstore time so we'd be a fool (no, the bad kind) to not take it.

Joy

What was your name again?
Makoto...
I'm just joking. I know who you are. I'm not that old.
My wife and I were just talking about you, Makoto-chan.

Makoto-chan, do you like Melon Breads?
Someone gave them to me, but I have more than enough. Go ahead, take one.
Thanks.
Don't worry about it; it's just a Melon Bread. There's no need to thank me.
Makoto-chan, you're so polite. I wish HE had been that way...

Do you want one for a friend too?
...Because it'll take us forever to finish them all.
Thanks.
Alright, here ya go. Um... uh... err...
What was your name again...?
Remember, dear? This is Makoto-chan.
I'm sorry, Makoto-chan. He's terribly forgetful lately.
Here you go.

...Where did he run off to, dear?
Who's "he"?

Let's not play the pronoun game for once, maybe.

Our spoiled son. He hasn't been back in a while.

> Bunkichi seems lonely.

Where did he go, dear?

> Mitsuko seems sad.

Troubled

What are you talking about?

My apologies, Makoto-chan. I hope I'm not making you feel uncomfortable.

> Bunkichi and Mitsuko shared their painful past with you.

H-Hey, hey, why the gloomy faces?
It's dark outside. I don't need it to be dark in here too.
...Please come again. We'll be waiting for you, Makoto-chan.

> After saying goodbye to Bunkichi and Mitsuko, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

You'll have to carry it with you, even when you're not in battle.
A one-handed sword is probably the easiest to use.
It's not too hard to swing, and it has decent range.

But if you want to go to Tartarus, you can go and tell her.

Let's see, it's a Monday so that's probably out but... the next Saturday IS the night of the full moon...

Sorry Junpei, already know. Hold R1 and it displays until you let go! Already used it, even.

There's no excuse for being unprepared.
We can't afford to let ourselves be surprised.

Now I'm not putting complete stock in what that kid said, but if he's telling the truth and we have to deal with One Of THEM, then we're limited on time to go to Tartarus...

So this is our first opportunity since we last went. Might as well take it and see if we can at least finish Thebel at last.

Mass Destruction / Wiping All Out

Goddamn, a Gold Shadow! This wasn't supposed to happen! I was meant to get to secretly finish grinding without needing to do anything here on-screen.

But, yeah, these guys are Metal Slimes through and through. Nimble bastards, tank hits real good, almost always go first and run if given any chance. Stat-wise, Wealth Hands are level 1, have 100HP, 100SP, 1 Strength, 1 Magic, 1 Endurance... and 99 Agility and 99 Luck. They're immune to Expel, so whoops that's out. Resitant to everything else though.

Thankfully, Elizabeth gave us these Agilao Gems otherwise we sure wouldn't be killing this thing anytime soon.

Don't even give any EXP but that's fine since that Wealth Coin is very important. Because it's vendor trash. It's another 3000 on top of whatever else we can get, which is pretty great.

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

...At some point I apparently did pick up a 3rd Juzumaru. How about that.

Ahh, and the hilt has beadwork laid in... That's why it's called the katana of evil's bane.
It's a good-sized sword, too.
Approximately... 81.08 centimeters, with a 3-centimeter curve, measuring about 3.96 centimeters in width.

Cards like this are semi-rare but useful to get whenever you can, since they're statboosters. They all increase Luck and a second stat based on the Lesser Arcana represented. Cups are Endurance so this Lu+1/En+2 which isn't exactly my preferred stat gain.

And while we're here, let's make the first boss of Nocturne. He's going to theoretically end up being really useful for what we need him for. Gonna stick Pixie and Nekomata together for this one to get best chances of Pulinpa and anything useful.

Pulinpa (ST Panic; base 25% chance) is only available on Pixie at this point and she needs grinding to level 4 to get it, you see, hence swapping her in at the end of the Dancing Hands. Jack Frost DOES have it by default but he's level 8 and if you can grind enough to get him here you're a more patient person than I. Or playing Portable since it requires no grinding to manage that there.

Now then, let's just head right on back to the 14th floor.

There's only one Shadow here, but man can this guy be a bit of a doozy if you don't know what to expect...

Chariot Rampage Drive (Portable)

Master of Tartarus / Danger Zone

Nice to see that Mitsuru has learned how to read the number on the mask, without needing to analyze the Shadow first.

Anyway, Rampage Drive is a meanie poopiehead and I'm so hardcore I'm fighting him with the main character tired. (thanks pixie)

Mercifully, he's a big ol' strong dude with no elemental weaknesses so he's susceptible to ailments somewhat. Panic is the best we've got at this stage, the only easy early alternative being Rage and oh dear god no that sounds like a loving terrible idea.

The early-game really hates Junpei though, so this guy is just that writ large. On top of being immune to Expel and Curse, he resists Fire and nulls Slash and Pierce.

That doesn't mean Strike is a good idea though. No, that's worse. rear end in a top hat reflects Strike!

If it is was just that, he'd be kind of annoying but takable in a straight fight. You're ultimately going to be leaving either damage or healing (or potentially both!) to Yukari because Junpei can't contribute to either well, so this guy has a counter for that too. Remember how getting knocked down eats your turn when you get back up? Elec just so happens to be the only magical element this guy has...

Suddenly that susceptibility to Panic is a damned good thing to use, huh. If he wasn't Panicked, he'd deal ~70 damage to Yukari alone, so uh, yeah. Bad times. Strangely he doesn't get One Mores outside of Portable which is not at all a bad thing.

But if "almost one-shotting Yukari" isn't scary enough (which, let's be fair, it kind of isn't), he can also do this make it "almost one-shot EVERYONE" instead. That 70 goes to breaking triple digits. Yeesh.

Mazio is Rampage Drive's only multi-target attack though, but let's pretend he got to use something. Assault Dive is light Strike damage. Bash is also light, for reference, but the difference is quite pronounced as Bash has a Power of 30 whereas Assault Dive is 90. Rampage Drive has 9 Strength and he sure knows how to use it.

Fortunately, there's other means of dealing with this thing albeit they're riskier. Cadenza is a good alternative since it's both a multi-target heal AND an evasion boost. It's not quite as sure a bet as inflicting Panic though. It's still helpful if you don't have a thing that can cast Sukukaja (you almost certainly don't)...

Since remember what I said before about Panic sealing skills? Yeah, his basic attack still goes through. And it's Pierce elemental just to mess up anyone who thought Ara Mitama was a safe bet to solo this thing or whatever.

So, yeah, Rampage Drive is the first "real" roadblock and one hell of a step-up after some eagles and hands that probably don't even get real turns. And that's a good thing. It gives a fight that has some degree of tension since Panic only removes 2 turns and then he gets to do SOMETHING.

Another alternative is to wait until later and then just dunk on the bastard with stronger things and party members that can contribute better but, uh, nope. That's not my speed and is a bad idea in general.

End

tartarus_0d01

Balms of Life are revives that put someone back up with 100% HP instead of the 50% that Revival Beads do. And since Rampage Drive dropped one, we got two out of that guy. How nice. That other briefcase though...

Full party restore. For all HP. And all SP. If they're giving this NOW, I can only imagine what's waiting on higher floors...

Speaking of which, 15F let's go why not!

It ends up being really, really tiny though. There's the stairs basically right in front of where we spawn, one whole Shadow but there's nothing new here, an access point by the stairs because uhhh random generation is dumb and one item (it's a Muscle Drink here, great).

Good work. Return to the entrance.

16F is... as far as we can go. We'll leave in a moment, but first: fixed loot!

Not quite what I was expecting, but Elizabeth wants to at least see this for the last request we can do. It's also on a time limit that is very, VERY close to expiring so I'm glad we got this outta the way now.

We can even read it in the menu if we want, though it's not so much a "document" as it is a "paragraph." Following in the survival horror trend of documentation, I see.

Also, I appreciate that the barricade is formed entirely out of school chairs. And also a magical aura. It just gives it that extra touch.

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

Have you already read it? It's quite interesting...
If not, then I definitely recommend you take a look.

A Bead Chain is always nice for sure, but I feel like this wasn't necessarily reflective of the work required to get it considering we got a Bead Chain and a Soma en route as it is.

Only request remaining now is to have both a Jack Frost and Pyro Jack at the same time and that's not happening for a while. No reason to stick around here, so back to the daily life of being a high school boy it is...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Everyone knows RPG characters cannot get past a barricade that goes up to their waist.

I think my biggest motivation for doing those requests was because Elizabeth/Theodore had something to say about just about all of them. It's never anything remarkable but I just had to see as many as I could

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I totally don't remember that scene with Akihiko sleeping on the couch. Of course all I've played recently is Portable and we can't have nice things in Portable, so the NPCs in the dorm basically eschew any sort of animation completely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is Featherman R based on the same thing as the Elemental Hero from Yu-Gi-Oh GX?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Persona 3 is weird and kind of cool for me cause it really makes you feel like the lamest dude in the group, whereas 4 and 5 (and 1 and 2 as well) make you coolest motherfucker that ever went to school. Like Yukari and Junpei are going out with their friends they don't introduce you too, Mitsuru and Akihiko are wearing slick rear end outfits and feel way more mature, and here you are spending your holiday playing a bad MMO and hanging out with old people.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 3, 2017

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah P3 somehow makes you feel much more of a loser than P5 where everyone starts off hating your guts.

As an aside, for some reason most of your video/music links don't seem to work on the Awful app Dragonatrix. Not too big a deal but thought I'd give a heads-up.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ibblebibble posted:

Yeah P3 somehow makes you feel much more of a loser than P5 where everyone starts off hating your guts.

As an aside, for some reason most of your video/music links don't seem to work on the Awful app Dragonatrix. Not too big a deal but thought I'd give a heads-up.

I think it's because even in P5, even though everyone hates you, at least they're still paying attention to you. For much of P3, you get the sense nobody actually cares about you or what you're doing beyond token lip service, at least at first. You're squad leader... but only because nobody else can fit the role at the time. For a long time, plot happens around you, but it doesn't really happen to you for the most part. You're an observer of other people's stories rather than an active agent in your own right. The Social Links feel more relevant to your character than the actual main plot does early on.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sorta. Featherman is heavily inspired by Super Sentai, while the Elemental Heroes are based on Japanese superheroes, including Sentai.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The reports wind up providing one of my favourite moments of the game. I dunno what it is about it, but it just left me smiling at the end.

GoneRampant posted:

Sorta. Featherman is heavily inspired by Super Sentai, while the Elemental Heroes are based on Japanese superheroes, including Sentai.

The Featherman series is also referenced as far back as Persona 2: Innocent Sin. You see the main characters as kids playing with bird-themed sentai masks, so it's probably the SMT version of Ultraman. And in Ultimax, Yukari goes on to star in the latest incarnation of the series, Featherman Victory!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Moltrey posted:

Persona 3 is weird and kind of cool for me cause it really makes you feel like the lamest dude in the group, whereas 4 and 5 (and 1 and 2 as well) make you coolest motherfucker that ever went to school. Like Yukari and Junpei are going out with their friends they don't introduce you too, Mitsuru and Akihiko are wearing slick rear end outfits and feel way more mature, and here you are spending your holiday playing a bad MMO and hanging out with old people.

Hm, yes... I remember how awkward just wasting an entire Sunday playing MMOs was to the schedule, back in P3. It's one of the troubles regarding the calendar system Persona started implementing around this time- don't get me wrong, it's an interesting system and provides interesting opportunities for development, but... even if they have mitigated the events which waste a day to a manageable level (by P5, they only happen on the days you go to dungeons, and even that can be reduced), you're still playing a character that can potentially spend the day reading in their room, and the night doing a load of laundry, and then going to bed. That isn't a normal person, that's someone with crippling anemia, or severe depression.

Or some kind of wasting illness, considering how drat hungry the Persona protagonists are portrayed as being all the time. Yeah, yeah, teenage boys, growth spurts, and all that, but P4 guy was regularly downing spoiled food and grass!

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

GoneRampant posted:

Not quite. The Elemental Heroes (at least, the ones we got from the anime) are based on American superheroes, though I'd be lying if I said I couldn't see some Sentai influence. For reference's sake, Avian is drawing from Hawkman.

skylarkfreedom
May 23, 2009
At least here you can dungeon crawl in the evening instead of losing both a day and evening slot like in later games. Even with being able to reduce that later, losing two whole time slots sucks, especially in first play throughs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Based off the same genre at least, if not the exact same inspiration series.

resurgam40 posted:

Hm, yes... I remember how awkward just wasting an entire Sunday playing MMOs was to the schedule, back in P3. It's one of the troubles regarding the calendar system Persona started implementing around this time- don't get me wrong, it's an interesting system and provides interesting opportunities for development, but... even if they have mitigated the events which waste a day to a manageable level (by P5, they only happen on the days you go to dungeons, and even that can be reduced), you're still playing a character that can potentially spend the day reading in their room, and the night doing a load of laundry, and then going to bed. That isn't a normal person, that's someone with crippling anemia, or severe depression.
I'm sorry, what? How is reading a book and doing chores for a day a sign of "severe depression"? Maybe if that's literally all you do, but not everyone spends every waking moment surrounded by people, and the idea that spending a day by yourself every once in a while is a sign of mental illness is frankly ludicrous. Don't get me wrong, P3MC's Social Links show that he isn't the most emotionally stable person in existence, but the warning sign is not the fact that he reads books.

resurgam40 posted:

Or some kind of wasting illness, considering how drat hungry the Persona protagonists are portrayed as being all the time. Yeah, yeah, teenage boys, growth spurts, and all that, but P4 guy was regularly downing spoiled food and grass!
Yeah, that is kinda weird. Granted, while Yuki is a yes-man and possibly a sociopath, Yu might have some kind of eating disorder.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Commander Keene posted:

I'm sorry, what? How is reading a book and doing chores for a day a sign of "severe depression"? Maybe if that's literally all you do, but not everyone spends every waking moment surrounded by people, and the idea that spending a day by yourself every once in a while is a sign of mental illness is frankly ludicrous. Don't get me wrong, P3MC's Social Links show that he isn't the most emotionally stable person in existence, but the warning sign is not the fact that he reads books.

I wasn't speaking of the P3 protagonist (although I privately decided that he definitely had some kind of... thing going on), I was merely pointing out the weirdness of doing precisely one or two things all day and then specifically told that your tired after all that and go to bed. That feels to me very arbitrary and poorly implements the spending of 12-18 hours, that's all. I wasn't commentating on the specific acts as indicators of mental illness, nor do I mean to demean those who have such problems- it's the frequency of the acts in relation to the whole day or evening that I was talking about.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Every now and then being able to do one or two things for 12-18 hours and then go to bed sounds like a pretty good day, to be honest.

Being MMO related like it is in-game just seemed like a true to form gag on how easy it is to waste an entire day doing that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The time slots make a little more sense on school days, where the after school/evening divide suggests you're spending 2-4 hours max on each thing.

It does fall apart on Sundays and vacation days, though. Getting extra time slots would be neat, and add to the sense of it being a day off.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

Dude if you honestly take up a whole evening just doing laundry and it's not because you did like 50 loads of laundry that sounds a lot like the kind of sluggish inability to get things done that comes as a side effect of a lot of mental health issues. More hilarious is that in P5, there's an event that's explicitly a timed challenge, so by doing it twice on a Sunday you can pass an entire day in a single hour.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Taciturn Tactician posted:

More hilarious is that in P5, there's an event that's explicitly a timed challenge, so by doing it twice on a Sunday you can pass an entire day in a single hour.

That's the recovery time required in order to do two speed-eating contests with burgers bigger than your head back to back. They say "30 minutes to eat" but what you don't see is the following three hours of whimpering, trying not to move too much before slowly dragging yourself back to the cafe, then agonizingly turning around and going back. For one point of courage.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 4, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Like I said- wasting illness. Or perhaps just bulimic.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I mean we're accepting that we can somehow climb 5 floors of a hell dungeon and kill a psychic chariot man thing all within an hour without worrying about logistics so who cares if the protagonist wants to be a lazy poo poo on his days off

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Erg posted:

I mean we're accepting that we can somehow climb 5 floors of a hell dungeon and kill a psychic chariot man thing all within an hour without worrying about logistics so who cares if the protagonist wants to be a lazy poo poo on his days off

Now I'm imagining how much bullshit this game would be if you only got an hour in Tartarus every time you went.

Don't leave before the time's up? You just fell like 100 floors and made a stain on the school roof.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
my initial post wasn't even about the idea of time management, just that Persona 3 makes you feel like a supreme goober that no one really likes, yet also very integral to the overarching plot. A weird example of player impowerment, yet also sort of knocking that out from under you by saying "None of the male friends you hang around with really want to hang out with you, instead the friends you become closer with are old people, a creepy fetish guy and a drunk woman you met on an MMO. Also a creepy child is going to come visit you at night. Things aren't going well for you, slugger"

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Dude if you honestly take up a whole evening just doing laundry and it's not because you did like 50 loads of laundry that sounds a lot like the kind of sluggish inability to get things done that comes as a side effect of a lot of mental health issues. More hilarious is that in P5, there's an event that's explicitly a timed challenge, so by doing it twice on a Sunday you can pass an entire day in a single hour.

I dunno, you can easily take 2-3 hours to do a couple of loads if you only have one washer and one dryer available to you. 30-45 minutes in the washer, ~45 minutes in the dryer, maybe ironing, and folding your laundry. And I could easily see a teenager taking the opportunity to gently caress around while they're waiting, which would add some time.

Like, bro, do you even launder?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Let's Discuss the Logistics of Laundry in Persona 3: FES

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Actually I don't recall the P3 maincharacteru ever doing laundry so maybe that's why it seems like people avoid him.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Aerdan posted:

I dunno, you can easily take 2-3 hours to do a couple of loads if you only have one washer and one dryer available to you. 30-45 minutes in the washer, ~45 minutes in the dryer, maybe ironing, and folding your laundry. And I could easily see a teenager taking the opportunity to gently caress around while they're waiting, which would add some time.

Like, bro, do you even launder?

I do launder and generally I don't sit there staring at the machine for two hours, I do other things while it's running. However, if I was at a worse place in my life, getting up the motivation to actually do it might take a whole day and result in me accomplishing nothing else on that day. I'm not talking about like "depressed people do things slowly" I just mean that mental health problems can lead to a ten minute phone call being something that you need a whole day to actually get done and you could interpret some of the weirdly small time slots as being in that vein- it doesn't take all evening to do x because it doesn't take that long, but the MC can only get one productive thing done in an evening.

The reason why I mentioned like fifty loads is because if you were doing massive amounts there'd be less downtime, because you'd be busy sorting the next load or folding the previous loads or whatever while the current one was going, so it could plausibly be all you were doing for a significant chunk of time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is it really that hard to believe that the protag does other things, and the things you specifically choose for them to do are just the highlights or the things they dedicate the most thought to

like, you know the peekaboo game people play with babies. when you cover your face the baby thinks you've ceased to exist, because the baby has no sense of object permanence. that's y'all rn.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

is it really that hard to believe that the protag does other things, and the things you specifically choose for them to do are just the highlights or the things they dedicate the most thought to

like, you know the peekaboo game people play with babies. when you cover your face the baby thinks you've ceased to exist, because the baby has no sense of object permanence. that's y'all rn.

All these years later, those dogs are still playing tethercat.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

I was thinking something like this too, but basically, what you choose for them to do isn't the only thing they do during that timeslot, it's just the only thing relevant to the plot or game mechanics that they do. It's like all the people shouting that Yu's parents are deadbeats because they never call to check on him on-screen during the game. Or even though the game does display bathrooms and allow you to use them, it doesn't have a mechanic to make you use them or show every time the protagonist uses one. Or every meal the protagonist eats. Some things just happen off-camera because they aren't important or interesting, even in a game with slice-of-life elements in it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Endorph posted:

It reminds me of the LP of the Chzo Mythos games that was on here a few years back. Yahtzee came in and talked about how people had emailed him about the first game in the series, 5 Days a Stranger, and how you never see any of the people trapped in the house doing Normal People stuff like eating or sleeping or pooping. For some reason, there's a lot of people bothered by the fact you never see the mind-numbing minutiae in games, when anyone else would just assume that the characters are behaving like regular folks unless otherwise noted.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Every time I come to this thread everyone is only ever posting about Persona 3 I swear it's all you guys ever DO

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nothing left in Tartarus right now, so we'll be hanging out with a bunch of folks this time, I guess.

Tuesday being a holiday drastically limits our options, though...

Iwatodai Dorm

The Minister of Public Management has reported the number of children under 15 years of age. According to the report, 9.8% of the population is aged 15 years or younger. The report marks the first time Japan's child population has been under 10%. The aging population is slowly becoming a problem in some areas... The government has called for more data regarding the situation, and ordered a study into the matter.

Mitsuru's dialogue hasn't updated since yesterday and Akihiko is still dead on the couch. Still not gonna deal with Maya because of sensible time-management reasons.

But dude, no one's showed up yet. Maybe I'm just early, but...

Hmm, so there's not much to do today really so.... back to the bookstore it is!

Joy

But, I can't seem to find it.
Looking for something?

How'd you know I was looking for something? Are you psychic?

I'm looking for my glasses... No, not my glasses--my wallet... I can't seem to find it.
I'll help you look.
Wow! Makoto-chan, you really can read minds!
I was just thinking it'd be nice if someone gave us a hand.

> You search for the wallet with Bunkichi and Mitsuko.

...Wait, what were we looking for?

> The mysterious foreigner handed a wallet to Bunkichi.

Wow! This is it! I've been looking for this wallet everywhere!
Well, it's not a golden wallet, but I'm still happy to have it back!
Sumimasen, excuse me...
Aren't you ze transfer student everyone eez talking about?
I go to ze same school--Gekkoukan!
...Who are you?

Wait, how do you get from that to... but that's.... I don't...

Hajime mashite, it eez nice to meet you too!

Remember a while back there was an NPC who mentioned that room? Yeah, now that makes sense. Though this scene is only one requirement for getting in there. We still need more Academics...

I 'ope to see you zere. Sayonara, goodbye!

> Bebe has left the store.

Hmm... I thought I put it in my wallet so I wouldn't lose it...
Ah, here it is! I knew it was in here!
...Dear? Is that key for...?

Troubled

Seeing Makoto-chan reminded me of how things used to be...
I haven't heard the roar of the engine in a long time. How do I look, dear?

Why must you get into a car!? Do you want me to end up all alone!?
What's so bad about a car?
Um, Makoto-chan...
I'm sorry for raising my voice. Did I scare you?
Our son... Remember what I told you? How he passed away...

I'm sorry to hear that.
Makoto-chan, please punch me... Punch me for being so insensitive...
With all my excitement, I forgot to consider how my wife might feel... I'm such a... I'm such a...

> It seems like Bunkichi feels guilty.

> Bunkichi and Mitsuko told you the truth about their son's death.

Since I found my wallet, why don't we eat out, dear?
Thanks for searching with us. Makoto-chan. Consider this your allowance.

> Bunkichi stuffed a Medicine into your pocket.

> After saying goodbye to Bunkichi and Mitsuko, you decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

Yuka-tan said she's gonna study... But not me, man. I'm gonna find something fun to do.

Yeah, Mitsuru and Akihiko aren't anywhere in the dorm today. So this is the first time we explicitly can't go to Tartarus isn't of just opting to not do so.

I didn't study at all over the weekend, so I'm getting it done now.
Maybe next time?

Yukari IS around, but uh she's shut herself up in her room to study. Well, we DO have exams in 2 weeks...

We can't do much about that for the moment, so we'll just do whatever we can I guess.

> It's the thing you bought from the TV show!

The Slash Ward will be useful later, but the Sappy Jelly is basically useless really. It's fine, we weren't after that anyway.

Now this? This is gonna be useful if it sticks around 'til the 7th. Extra Courage from Edogawa isn't a bad thing.

Want To Be Close / Time

Listening: You know, rabbits can die from sadness.
Gossiping: Okay... First, you're not a rabbit. And second, that's just a rumor.
Listening: What? No way! I thought it was scientific fact...

Listening: She looked so sad playing all by herself. I felt sorry for her...

> The first bell has rung.

I was watching TV last night, and there was a special on weight loss. "The more you drink, the thinner you get!" Yeah, right!
What about the osmotic pressure, huh? It's misinformation, but people believe what they see on TV...
A lot of companies say stuff like "Our product contains minerals!" But that's a load of hooey. There's hardly more than trace elements of whatever they're talking about. It's meaningless.
Did you know that there are different names for water depending on its calcium or magnesium content? You look like you know the answer. Makoto... Surprise me.

Soft water.
That's right. You're better-informed than I thought! Most of the water in Japan is soft water.
That's why many Japanese find it strange to drink hard water, because they're used to the other kind.
Remember. cooking rice with hard water ruins the flavor. Now. let's look at the various ions in water...

> You gave the correct answer!

Alright, so now what are we going to actually do with our day? Hmm.

Well, first we'll gladly take our Courage boost and then, uh, since we're in the area...

Should probably go talk to Ms. Toriumi about student council before I forget entirely.

About Student Council...
Oh, yes. I heard from Mitsuru. All you need to do is read this and sign here.

> You signed the papers that Ms. Toriumi handed you.

Makoto Yuki... Alright, then.
Leave the rest to me. Good luck in Student Council.

> You now have access to the Student Council Room.

Now we can do something with that, I guess? But for now, we've got something more important to do. Gonna head on over to that shrine to see what's going on over there. Something weird about that and all...

Who are you?
Mom and Dad said not to talk to bad people... Are you bad?
Yeah, real bad.

> Maiko looks as if she wants something.

I can't play right now because I'm hungry.
There's something I really want...

We already have the right thing for this, so we don't get told quite what she wants but it's fine.

This is my favorite! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This is the easy bit at least, since if you don't have it you can just go to the strip mall and buy it.

That was so yummy I ate them all!
But, now I'm thirsty...

> Maiko looks as if she wants something.

This is my favorite! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This one is a legitimate timekiller though. If you don't have this, too bad. Only place to get it is the vending machines in the dorm so you can't just go and get it as easily.

Wow! I'm having so much fun!
You're nice. Will you be my friend?
Come play with me again, okay?
Of course.

There ARE options to be a dick to the actual child who seems to have no friends but, uh, lines. Try not to cross them.

You better not be lying!

Social Link..... no...? Huh. Weird. Sure feels like one would trigger here, but no dice. This didn't even take up time!

But we WILL get one here now that we've done this, but that's a way down the line right now. We need to come back at a later date, which is why the timekill from missing the Mad Bull can matter so much. You only have like 3 days of leeway when it comes to maxing every link so there's one gone right there. So far so good, though...

But anyway, let's see. What are we going to spend actual time on? Kenji (haha) isn't around, Kaz isn't around, Yuko isn't worth our time without a Strength Persona now and that's a long way off...

I suppose we'll get this done then, yeah?

Joy

He's the one I've been talking about the past few days. He'll be joining us in Student Council.
Makoto-kun, huh...

I'm a sophomore, and um... I'm still learning the ropes, so... please be patient with me, Makoto-san.
Nice to meet you.

Again. We saw Chihiro very, VERY briefly on our first day of school.

> Hidetoshi is sizing you up.

...You must be talented if the President hand-picked you.

> It seems Hidetoshi wants to learn more about you.

> You're getting to know the members of Student Council.

The Power of The Heart

> A mysterious voice rings in your head...

So, uh, fun fact about this link. In the original vanilla version, it's glitched. The boost you get from having a Persona of the relevant Arcana didn't work here, which made charting an already tight route even harsher by accident. Fortunately it was fixed in FES and Portable so we don't have that issue to deal with.

Joy

It'll be your job to help us, Yuki.
From now on, you have my permission to enter the Student Council Room whenever you need to.
That includes after school, too. Thank you, Yuki, for joining us today.

> You decided to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

I'm getting worried since nothing's happened since that one day...
Is it just me, or are more people getting Apathy Syndrome lately?
I have a feeling something bad is going to happen. ...Or, am I just being paranoid?

However, you can't wield it very fast, so there is a high risk of the enemy launching a preemptive attack.
Therefore, when using a two-handed sword, you must stand a good distance away from your enemy, and pay close attention to the timing of your strike.

Should I just start going to club when I feel like it. Makoto?
Definitely.
Hey, I was just kidding. Even if I wanted to, Mitsuru would never let me.

...This is a perfect setup for me.
"Now, who wants to reach the top, hmmm?"
"Oh, me! Me! I wanna go to the top! I wanna go to the top!"
Well? Whaddya think?
*sigh* Ignore him. He's just trying to do his impressions again.

Yeah, uh, I really don't get this weird running gag all that much. Junpei trying to be a one-man manzai skit really is losing something in translation here, I swear.

It has great range, but its attack speed is slow.
If a Shadow gets in too close... I'm done for.
I need to fight from a distance...

The employee involved in creating the malicious code has already been terminated, but company officials have yet vto determine the true extent of the information leak.

Well, that's rank 2 in about 16 days or so. Can we get to 3 in the next 12? P-Probably not... but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try!

Silence

Hm? Well, this is different.

Sure.
You wanna do something next Sunday?
Sure.
Sweet. I'll see ya next Sunday, then. Don't forget!

> Kazushi seems excited...

Okay so, this would've happened on Monday right? Accepting this offer gives us like 5 points or so towards the next Chariot rank (enough to push over the threshold for rank 4!) but the offer would've been for Tuesday instead. We could reject that one but then we wouldn't get this one because it's kinda a dumb system.

Going to Tartarus locks that day's call out and delays it until the next opportunity for it to come up. This is something we're going to be using a couple times because otherwise scheduling is gonna be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

More important right now, is that this DID happen and I didn't have to savescum for it either (though I was totally planning on it).

Want To Be Close / Time

En route to Edogawa, we can find Chihiro hanging out just outside our classroom now.

Um...
...C-Can I help you!?
I wanted to talk...
I-I-I don't have anything to talk about!
...Oh, um... I'm sorry...

> There is an awkward moment between you and Chihiro.

As is the case with a lot of things we're doing today apparently, this is something that'll pay off more in the future than now. Necessary evils...

Also we drink Edogawa's weird bullshit again. I was completely expecting this to push us up to the fourth rank but no such luck. Go figure.

Well, uh, we have a fair few options now but we'll stick with an old classic for now.

Joy

> The Kendo Team is giving it everything they've got.

> The workout is tough, but fun.

> You don't see Kazushi...

> After finishing the training, you decide to go back to the dorm.

Wh-What's up...? I was just gonna sneak into practice...
Did you ditch?
No way! I had a legitimate reason!

> Kazushi seems pissed off.

She made the appointment without telling me, so... there was nothing I could do!
That sucks.
Doesn't it? My mom, the rest of the team... Why does everyone have to be like that...

It gets annoying when everyone around you is so nosy, huh...?
Today, they took x-rays... I'll know the results tomorrow. I don't know why they couldn't have told me today.
...Oh, hey! Don't tell anyone about me going to the hospital, alright? I'm counting on you, Makoto!
...I-I'm always asking you to keep quiet... Sorry 'bout that.

> Kazushi seems to be appreciative.

Wait a minute! Since you're leaving, that means practice is over...
...Oh well. I guess I have to go home today... Later, Makoto.

> Kazushi has left...

> You decide to go back to the dorm.

Iwatodai Dorm

Other than that, nothin's been going on...
Man, talk about boring...
Let's go to Tartarus for a little action.
Maybe I should come along... I'm dying of boredom, too.
...Akihiko, are you trying to make me angry?

Yeah, uh, definitely recommend NOT doing that!

How do you like living here?
It's really... exciting.
That's very true. I don't think you'll find a dormitory like this anywhere else in the world.

Officer Kurosawa must be selling them to us without realizing it.

Yeah, that's a thing you can tell from the interface even! When your perusing in the store it tells you that there's some added effect, but not what it is. If you parse it from Kurosawa's perspective that makes sense but it does have a weird implication that it's random even though it isn't.

...But that doesn't mean anyone will want to buy anything from you.
But, I guess there's nothing you can do about that.

For even better luck, try skipping and frolicking around!

While I'm sure your curious, sorry, I don't know if Makoto is a Taurus or not. His actual date of birth is not a known quantity, but that the year is 1992 is. He has to be 16 at the beginning of the second (of three) year of high school which limits it somewhat but that's all.

For reference of everyone else of importance:

Yukari: October 19, 1992 (Libra)
Junpei: January 13, 1993 (Capricorn)
Akihiko: September 22, 1991 (Virgo)
Mitsuru: May 8, 1991 (Taurus)

So, uh, yeah, the horoscope happens a day before Mitsuru's birthday at least. Fancy!

Silence

Actually, I'm kinda busy.
Oh, you are? Alright, I guess I'll talk to you later, then.

> Kenji hung up. He sounded disappointed...

Unlike with Kaz before, we can just tell Kenji to piss off and that's the correct option. I know it seems weird since we don't need to actually hang out with Kaz for anything this Sunday, but replacing it with Kenji instead is the worse option.

...And not just because he's Kenji but that sure doesn't help.

Want To Be Close / Time

Regardless, we want to talk to Kenji now because at rank 3 he tells us about the Best Character*.

Well, I heard he knows more about food than anyone...
People are always asking him for recommendations on where to eat.
...Well, I major in noodles, so there's nothing he can tell me about ramen that I don't already know.
I mean, I heard he goes to Hagakure and orders rice-based dishes... What a loser!

Yeah, I'm sure that's his worst trait all right.

Also wow Kenji you have no high ground to stand on, you creepoid weirdo.

I wonder who he is...

We could theoretically try and meet the Gourmet King right now and I was very tempted but there's a time and a place for everything. The Gourmet King will get his time in the spotlight soon enough...

For now, let's see how bad Kenji's terrible plan will go. This should be funny.

Joy

Why?
Hey, don't freak out, man!
I'm gonna go ask Ms. Kanou out right now!
Good luck.
Thanks, man! I'm gonna go get myself a girlfriend!

If I give him false hope, it's going to make his crash that much sweeter...

Alright, dude, here I go!

> Kenji ran off.

Hey, man, listen to this!
She said yes! Can you believe it!? She said YES!

No, in fact, I don't believe it at all.

...O-oh. Uhh, so, you see, the thing about that is...

> Kenji is in his own world.

Dude, I owe you! I owe you big time!

> It seems that Kenji successfully asked out Ms. Kanou... (???)

Maybe, uh, here's a thought: don't consider assaulting your teacher, Kenji. Definitely don't do it either!

> Kenji is talking to himself and doesn't seem like he's ever going to stop.

> Kenji ran off.

> It's getting dark. You decide to return to the dorm.

So, uh, real quick: the first time I played this game I got to this scene. I then proceeded to ignore Kenji for the rest of time, because jesus christ.

I can be fairly confident in presuming I'm not the only one.

Iwatodai Dorm

Anyway, happy birthday Mitsuru! No one will comment on this in-game though!

You're referring to the Shadows, I take it?
It's been a month since the last attack, yet I'm certain that won't be the last time they appear outside of Tartarus.
True... Lately, it seems like The Lost are everywhere. So, something must be going on...

During Rush, everyone on the team will attack the same enemy. It's an easy way to finish a battle quickly.
But, be careful if you use it on a strong enemy, because you can't heal during Rush. So don't get us all killed, man.

It's also the button that gets remapped in Persona 5 for the skills menu, so while I auto things a lot anyway I end up doing it more by accident as a result. Awkward, annoying but it hasn't killed me yet so that's a wash.

Anxiety is spreading near Port Island, where many of the victims are from. This is Kaede Kuroki, reporting from Tatsumi Memorial Hospital.

So there's not much around at the dorm, and there's a full moon tomorrow...

If that kid was right, then we have something happening tomorrow. Hopefully, it'll be something we can manage if it even happens...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 8, 2018

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Kaz is gonna break that leg and it'll be our fault, huh.
Also, I like to think Makoto continues to encourage Kenji because of morbid curiosity. I mean, it's why kept me invested in that social link.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Huh, I forgot your level carries over in Persona 3's NG+. I dusted off my old PS2 copy of FES, started NG+ from my completed save, and began the game at level 96. :unsmigghh:

I kinda just wanted to carry over my compendium and social stats (mainly the latter so I don't need to grind those again), not break the game quite this much.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm about 9 years [ast the last time i played persona 3, but I don't remember kenji being super rapey or anything just a dumb kid thinking with his hormones and mis-reading social clues completely

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

freshlybaked posted:

Kaz is gonna break that leg and it'll be our fault, huh.
Also, I like to think Makoto continues to encourage Kenji because of morbid curiosity. I mean, it's why kept me invested in that social link.

There is nothing wrong with having a crush on a teacher. The issue though is believing you are going to have a chance when you are still in the middle of high school.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Emperor

The Emperor represents power and control, in particular the ability to control your surroundings, and in some cases, your emotions as well. Characters in the Persona series who represent the Emperor usually are authority figures of some kind or have some sort of position of power or lay down rules. More generally, the Emperor represents male authority figures, making it the male counterpoint to the Empress Arcana. The Student Council symbolism should thus be fairly obvious; they create and uphold the rules for students and try to keep them in line. Emperor characters tend to struggle with personal issues (Including Hideotoshi, but we'll see that more as the Link progresses) and are often unsure of how to handle them. often learning the lesson that power isn't always the answer.

Hiedotoshi is our Emperor link, and is another one that does not change for Hamuko. That said, Akihiko is our party member that actually uses the Emperor Arcana in battle. As for the Personas themselves, Emperor Personas share a theme of being male authority figures or kings in their pantheons. In gameplay, Emperor Personas tend to lean towards high Magic and Strength, usually leaning a lot of Thunder and Physical attacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah acting like he's going to 'assault' his teacher is super exaggerating. he's asking if he should put the moves on her, not knock her out with a bat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
These Social Links are pretty horrifying, to be honest. No wonder people say Makoto is a sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ah, I don't think I ever picked this dialog option. That's sort of cute.