Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fangz posted:

Hmm, how does that apply to Monster?

Haven't seen it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you guys keep thanking me someone might get the impression i know something, when in reality i dropped out of 6th grade

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DisDisDis posted:

what recent anime has advanced feminism?

WHO GIVES A poo poo

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

DisDisDis posted:

what recent anime has advanced feminism?

Gatchaman Crowds.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
so far this discussion has been a lot better than i would expect it to, so, i give a poo poo

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

if you guys keep thanking me someone might get the impression i know something, when in reality i dropped out of 6th grade

fine

idiot

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/shirobako_anime/status/859413169285980160

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Future of Shirobako pillow covers

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shirobako pachinko machine? Shirobako VA meet and greet event? Shirobako: the toilet paper?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shirobako: the probably rule-breaking dakis

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a special shirobako announcement that they are sending dick spacious his free daki and want us to unban him

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways, I see where they're coming from! I don't agree with it but that's different cultures for you, which is one of the benefits of watching media from a foreign culture. (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid hit me full in the face the other day where a doctor wasn't going to treat a criminal because he was a criminal, and according to my American morals I was going "No! You treat the man and THEN hand him to the justice system! You are not his executioner!" -- but also to be fair to Ex-Aid it's hard to tell if it's pushing things for drama or not, so idk.)

I don't think that's necessarily just a "foreign culture" thing, so much as just something that you hadn't seen before. The same conflict came up in "House, MD" at one point, it's basically the entire premise of "The Mob Doctor", and I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that it comes up in many (most?) medical dramas set in the US and elsewhere.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Shirobako pachinko machine? Shirobako VA meet and greet event? Shirobako: the toilet paper?
KONAMI :argh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Shirobako the box. The Shirobako trading card game.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shirobako: The FLAMETHROWER!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AnoHito posted:

What is that a reference to, anyway?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

1986's Spaceballs.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

Grimoire of Zero

Waste of an episode that became interesting in the last 15 seconds.

You've only got 12 episodes. We get it- Zero was sheltered, and Youhei is a good guy and Albus just misunderstood the way that magic actually worked.

Now... advance the loving plot, already... or, at very least, introduce it.

It's a super slow adaptation. At this pace I feel like the 12 episodes will adapt just 1 volume

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Eromagma sensei

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Darth Walrus posted:

https://youtu.be/fgRFQJCHcPw

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

El Burbo posted:

It's a super slow adaptation. At this pace I feel like the 12 episodes will adapt just 1 volume

Someone was saying further back that it's 2-cour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new shirobako thing will be a movie about making compilation movies for anime

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

good

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Endorph posted:

the new shirobako thing will be a movie about making compilation movies for anime

This is one of those circumstances where I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was merely a jape

There have been Shirobako talk shows and stuff over the past few months, and they recently announced plans to continue them monthly into September. However the VAs and some PA Works staff have retweeted the 'under construction' thing on the Shirobako website, and the fact that it's there at all when they've already announced the talk show thing means there's probably something else. Could be some kind of game, could be a movie or an OVA, could be a season 2. Anything, really. It could be dakis of the animation check lady with the big gonanzas.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is very cool and good. It makes me realise that maybe we should appreciate that women face different things over there more than comparing their works to our own approach to feminism. Thanks for sharing; it's kind of really interesting to see things another way.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Endorph posted:

Basically, Japanese feminism isn't wonder woman, it's a lady in a kayak shaped like her vagina yelling at the cops. It's transgression and a desire to be completely unbound by the rules and norms of society, not a desire to have those norms validate and support their strength.

Isn't it near impossible for anyone, regardless of sex, to be unbound by the rules and norms of society though? You'd have to be some sort of isolated nomad for that to be the case. I may be missing the point here.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

There Bias Two posted:

Isn't it near impossible for anyone, regardless of sex, to be unbound by the rules and norms of society though? You'd have to be some sort of isolated nomad for that to be the case. I may be missing the point here.

You could be a phantom thief and steal hearts for a living.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

*the rules and norms society has for women

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Endorph posted:

*the rules and norms society has for women

The problem I see with that is that if you define being free of the norms that society defines for women as transgressing against those norms you are still being controlled by said norms since they still define your behavior in an inverse fashion. I see the best ideal as one where women are able to do as they like whether they fit certain norms or not without any more or less criticism for their behavior than a man would receive under the same circumstances.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that's probably what they want

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*while watching a lady burn her bra for the right to vote* have you considered that by burning your bra you are acknowledging its power

like no offense but if you are trying to criticize japanese feminist goals based off a rambly post based on two ten minute long conversations with two women in their 30s, one of whom was about seven cups deep and rounding eighth and the other of which kept trying to buy my friend's coat mid-conversation, then iunno what to tell you other than 'read a book.' the thing i posted is barely up to snuff on getting the basic idea down, and is incredibly focused on one very, very minor aspect of what is a centuries-long ideology that is constantly evolving. it is also maybe nine sentences long.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 3, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Endorph posted:

*while watching a lady burn her bra for the right to vote* have you considered that by burning your bra you are acknowledging its power

That isn't what I was saying, I was saying that feminists should not go after women for liking things that society defines as stereotypically for women. Feminists should not force women into any role, even one that runs counter to patriarchal norms.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
So what would their feelings regarding Utena be?

Steering away from that,

I liked Soutai Sekai ep1. Not necessarily the plot, but it looked like one more step forward for CG anime. Better than BBRK and the Netflix shows like Ajin/Sidonia.
Animation and shading still remains a problem, however

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That isn't what I was saying, I was saying that feminists should not go after women for liking things that society defines as stereotypically for women. Feminists should not force women into any role, even one that runs counter to patriarchal norms.

thanks, i'll go let Japanese Feminists know

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't think Japanese feminists are forcing women to do anything. It would be super hosed up for a gang of Japanese feminists to grab a random lady off the street and force her to become an auto mechanic, but luckily I don't think that happens very often in modern-day Japan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't think anyone said they should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

i cant believe the Japanese Feminists are kidnapping innocent young women and escaping on kayaks shaped like their vaginas

• Locked thread