Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i cant believe the Japanese Feminists are kidnapping innocent young women and escaping on kayaks shaped like their vaginas

gently caress, where can i join

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think anyone said they should.

They said that japanese feminism is about transgressing against norms rather than redefining the norms, to me at least that implies that women who conform to the norms are in some way bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real tho i dont think you understand, uh, anything. the point isn't 'pretty cure shows girls enjoying traditionally feminine things and expressing themselves in traditionally feminine ways, which is bad,' it's 'it ONLY shows those things, and frames them as the source of their strength.'

the problem with, say, go princess precure isn't that haruharu wants to be a princess, it's that they all want to be princesses and all have to learn to do ballet and drink tea and all transform into pretty dresses, and all of them are presented with traditionally feminine attributes as the source of their strength. (and this is just a rando example that doesnt fully apply because gopri lets kira be kind of a jackass and still has her as one of the leads even when she ignores what other people want her to do, but still, the point's there)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They said that japanese feminism is about transgressing against norms rather than redefining the norms, to me at least that implies that women who conform to the norms are in some way bad.
it isn't 'women who conform to the norms are bad,' it's 'people who reinforce those norms as the only way to be a good person who has value are bad'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

woman enjoys being cute and having a boyfriend: sure!
five women enjoy being cute and having a boyfriend, and the possibility of not doing those things is framed as a fall from grace that would cause them to lose their strength: not sure!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I don't think Japanese feminists look at fans of Sailor Moon and shout "You Fuckers!!!" at them with megaphones to make them feel bad. They just don't think Sailor Moon is particularly progressive in their cultural context.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Endorph posted:

it isn't 'women who conform to the norms are bad,' it's 'people who reinforce those norms as the only way to be a good person who has value are bad'

I can agree with that. I just don't want people to feel attacked for taking a positive message from these shows, at least as long as they can acknowledge those who take a negative message from them also have a valid view.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I can agree with that. I just don't want people to feel attacked for taking a positive message from these shows, at least as long as they can acknowledge those who take a negative message from them also have a valid view.
good news: everyone in this thread already felt that way. thanks for jumping in, ya putz.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe they should take Japanese hints from Japanese fujoshi and be the Japanese change that they want to Japanese see.

Also FAGirls is increasingly gay. Turns out my guess was wrong, it's actually Gourai who will kiss everyone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FAGirls.....

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

FAGirls.....

is good.

I just wish the fights weren't completely terrible

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I only watched the first episode of FAGirls but I assume all later ones involve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSXldDcLdY.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler posted:

I only watched the first episode of FAGirls but I assume all later ones involve https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSXldDcLdY.

did you ever read the article about how the car chases and helicopters in blood on the sand were literally stitched together with code that was never designed for it because 50 cent wanted car chases and his kid wanted helicopters

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

*while watching a lady burn her bra for the right to vote* have you considered that by burning your bra you are acknowledging its power

like no offense but if you are trying to criticize japanese feminist goals based off a rambly post based on two ten minute long conversations with two women in their 30s, one of whom was about seven cups deep and rounding eighth and the other of which kept trying to buy my friend's coat mid-conversation, then iunno what to tell you other than 'read a book.' the thing i posted is barely up to snuff on getting the basic idea down, and is incredibly focused on one very, very minor aspect of what is a centuries-long ideology that is constantly evolving. it is also maybe nine sentences long.

Post your friend's coat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

Post your friend's coat

it was like this only without the crossbones and with a jaw instead, so it was like the skull was puking out the flowers, and also it was sakura petals instead of flowers. and also it was a coat and not a hoodie.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Nice coat

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Knorth posted:

Nice coat

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The best part of FAGirls is the two seconds at the end when it mocks itself for being loving trash.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the part where the episode is over and kater is staring at a blank monitor

kater
Nov 16, 2010

a nice moement

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Knorth posted:

Nice coat

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So NHK just had a poll of the top anime series of all time or something along those lines, and a guy on Reddit was nice enough to translate the top 100.
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/690kv4/nhk_top_100_voted_anime/

There are a few surprises there (I didn't think that SAO stood up well enough to still be top 20, but I was very happy to see Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu at 80). Also, did Joker Game really end up being good enough to justify top 15? Or is this the Fujoshi Effect in full form (Likely why Rakugo wound up in top 100, too?)

It seems to have a skew towards newer shows (neither Excel Saga nor Martian Succesor Nadesico show up within the top 100), but it's still an interesting list.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That isn't much of a surprise since lists like these are basically measures of what's presently in popular consciousness among whoever participated.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had no idea Tiger and Bunny was still that popular

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is Tiger and Bunny worth watching?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

Is Tiger and Bunny worth watching?

Oh yeah, it's good, charming fun. Great little buddy-cop/superhero show.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol Tiger and Bunny as no. 1, it was definitely fujoshied all the way up

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
LL has 3 of the top 10, good list

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I Learned All I Need To Know About Japanese Feminism From The Tale Of Genji

i could watch tiger and bunny forever, why couldnt that have been turned into a 100 episode series

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Kytrarewn posted:

neither Excel Saga nor Martian Succesor Nadesico show up within the top 100), but it's still an interesting list.

Why would they?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Also, did Joker Game really end up being good enough to justify top 15?

lol no

It had some fun eps but most of the time it was just bleh and never focused on a character for more than an ep so it's just all spy vignettes that you aren't pushed to care much about

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

counterpoint: I've been hearing more people say they liked joker game and the episodic nature, so adtrw could just be an outlier

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Its placement on the list suggested to me that something substantial might have changed in the last couple episodes. I gave up after (I think?) episode 3 (the second investigation) because I can't deal with mystery solutions being asspulls.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

an actual dog posted:

lol Tiger and Bunny as no. 1, it was definitely fujoshied all the way up

K is on the list.

Of the top 100 anime.

It beat like 20 things.

an actual dog posted:

it was definitely fujoshied all the way up

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anime fans voted in the anime poll, yes

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Tiger & Bunny was a fun show, but Japan seemed to love it way more than anybody overseas. They went all-out with supplemental materials that were never seen here.

I'm satisfied seeing Hyouka, Steins;Gate, and Madoka in the top 25.
Cardcaptor Sakura at #8 too.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tiger and Bunny is still on of the series with the most circles representing it at conventions like comiket. It's not surprising

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tiger and Bunny is like catnip to fujos as far as I know, and it's really good besides, so I'm glad to see it up there.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

i cant believe the Japanese Feminists are kidnapping innocent young women and escaping on kayaks shaped like their vaginas
I'm a big fan of the Matriarchal Thassalocratic State.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Joker Game still regularly gets a lot of new fanart on Pixiv. It's big with fujoshi.

• Locked thread