Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh hey i didnt know you could fight with a tiger buddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLADW6U5sQ

I see the organizers of the Tekken tournament discussing amongst themselves "Okay look, we let the dude in with a sword and that was a bit unfair to the others, and I'm pretty sure I saw that one dude shooting lasers from his forehead but come on, a tiger??? That's going a bit TOO far." "Okay, Bill, YOU go tell her she can't bring him. Besides, we have a drat Kangaroo that took 5th place last year."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I never really thought about it but it's pretty weird how Kazumi has a literal tiger at her disposal and instead of mauling motherfuckers all it does is spin in a ball or pounce off of them and disappear.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
it also did a uppercut at one point, I think.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

I see the organizers of the Tekken tournament discussing amongst themselves "Okay look, we let the dude in with a sword and that was a bit unfair to the others, and I'm pretty sure I saw that one dude shooting lasers from his forehead but come on, a tiger??? That's going a bit TOO far." "Okay, Bill, YOU go tell her she can't bring him. Besides, we have a drat Kangaroo that took 5th place last year."

Tekken Tournament still has more consistent rules than the Mortal Kombat outworld tournament.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 3, 2017

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Shao Khan is basically Donald Trump.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Brosnan posted:

I never really thought about it but it's pretty weird how Kazumi has a literal tiger at her disposal and instead of mauling motherfuckers all it does is spin in a ball or pounce off of them and disappear.

What's the more insulting name for the tiger then, Blanka, Kano, or Sonic?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

C. Everett Koop posted:

What's the more insulting name for the tiger then, Blanka, Kano, or Sonic?

tony jaa, elephant keeper

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tiger Mom is cool. Orchid does the stupid magic cat summons, she actually conjures a real tiger.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

ty this is what i was thinking about before when i was asking about the guide

edit : isnt there a video like this too :(

Zand fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 3, 2017

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Zand posted:

ty this is what i was thinking about before when i was asking about the guide

edit : isnt there a video like this too :(

One of the Rip/Level Up Your Game videos talks about "zoning in 3D," which is really just footsies. That's the closest I could find to what you're talking about, but I think what actually happened is that Aris had it on his YouTube channel and it's not there anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brosnan posted:

One of the Rip/Level Up Your Game videos talks about "zoning in 3D," which is really just footsies. That's the closest I could find to what you're talking about, but I think what actually happened is that Aris had it on his YouTube channel and it's not there anymore.

Is it this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJEJ8PJXoaM

Aris also has two other "The Basics of Tekken (Tekken 7)" videos on his channel.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/Killbawx/status/859250020054388736

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

teagone posted:

Aris also has two other "The Basics of Tekken (Tekken 7)" videos on his channel.

Yeah no, this was in the TTT2 days.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Brosnan posted:

Badass and great and powerful and unstoppable?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Yeah no, this was in the TTT2 days.

Oh I see. I only managed to find this playlist of TTT2 tutorials on the LevelUpYourGame YT channel. Would those be good videos to watch if I plan on diving head first into Tekken 7? Or will Tekken 7 play completely differently that it wouldn't matter?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

teagone posted:

Oh I see. I only managed to find this playlist of TTT2 tutorials on the LevelUpYourGame YT channel. Would those be good videos to watch if I plan on diving head first into Tekken 7? Or will Tekken 7 play completely differently that it wouldn't matter?

7 will play similarly enough that a lot of it os still useful. Obviously anything to do with tagging or bound moves is out of date

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
From what I've played of Tekken 7. Bound is still in play. Especially if you can connect a drop to let the stage fall.

It's going to be really good. I can't wait for Tekken 7

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I was going to add back into the Max conversation but then I just saw gootecks and mike ross are giving away a caspar air mattress as a promotion and now maybe just gently caress the whole community

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

have you thought about taking up firearm ownership? apparently it makes it all more palatable to the point where you defend them on internet forums while mentioning your guns for no apparent reason

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

brian posted:

have you thought about taking up firearm ownership? apparently it makes it all more palatable to the point where you defend them on internet forums while mentioning your guns for no apparent reason

It wasn't for no reason, lmao. I was taking a jab at you implying I was the neoliberal type because I used the words "short sighted" and "myopic" in response to your standoffish attitude.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Maybe you're both weird and I don't want to be on either of your sides

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every excellent adventure has 10 minutes of ads in it now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

Maybe you're both weird and I don't want to be on either of your sides

That's fair and I'm fine with that, because even though I know people think my opinions are bad, I at least try to not be a dick. Most of the time :)

[edit]

I just saw the video you were talking about where Mike and Gootecks are shilling a casper mattress and part of me says they're doing it legit, but also as a joke maybe? Ahaha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAVjmo9H4DM

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 3, 2017

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brosnan posted:

This, but the other way around.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

It wasn't for no reason, lmao. I was taking a jab at you implying I was the neoliberal type because I used the words "short sighted" and "myopic" in response to your standoffish attitude.

that's a pretty myopic and short sighted view of what i said bruh

i at no point tried to antagonise you or really had anything against you but you sure wanted to dismiss everything i was saying, then posted like 3 times more about what you assumed i meant while painting me as having a blinkered and unrealistic view of things

i am sorry to the rest of the thread

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

brian posted:

i am sorry to the rest of the thread
It's okay.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

brian posted:

that's a pretty myopic and short sighted view of what i said bruh

I made the argument that it's fortunate that fighting games are recently getting recognized on such a large scale for more people to enjoy now, more than ever, because of esports driven content. Then you essentially said "no, it's not fortunate, because everything esports attracts exploitive twats and it's by far the most damaging thing to the community" along with "Max attracts the kind of audience that is the embodiment of everything lovely and wrong with the current state of the FGC" or something to that effect. How else should I describe that kind of attitude other than standoffish?

quote:

i at no point tried to antagonise you or really had anything against you but you sure wanted to dismiss everything i was saying, then posted like 3 times more about what you assumed i meant while painting me as having a blinkered and unrealistic view of things

I'm dismissive because I disagreed with what you were saying. That's how that usually works out haha. Sorry if dropping my own thoughts against what you said bothered you. I did my best to be civil about it, and re-reading my post history, maybe I guess I could have tried harder? Either way, my mainline thought is I feel like it's possible that not everyone who likes esports, or follows Max and other popular YT creators/Twitch streamers could turn out to be twats, but instead, they might actually be chill and decent people who legit enjoy fighting games and could be contributing members to the FGC. I don't think that's too radical. Oh, and I just thought it was funny you made a political analogy and made a response in kind. But in hindsight, yeah, with the way I wrote that, I could see that seemed random.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 3, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I thought this was a funny read: "why juggles and combos are bad"

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368001

this is a great guide to starting out again, nice. I've only played TTT2 in the last few years so it will be weird going back to 1v1 stuff and not my dumb team of Steve Fox / Slim Bob

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

this is a great guide to starting out again, nice. I've only played TTT2 in the last few years so it will be weird going back to 1v1 stuff and not my dumb team of Steve Fox / Slim Bob

I was reading it last night, and yeah, agreed. Great for a scrub noob like myself. I think Tiger Mom Kazumi is gonna be my character.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 3, 2017

brian
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

I made the argument that it's fortunate that fighting games are recently getting recognized on such a large scale for more people to enjoy now, more than ever, because of esports driven content. Then you essentially said "no, it's not fortunate, because everything esports attracts exploitive twats and it's by far the most damaging thing to the community" along with "Max attracts the kind of audience that is the embodiment of everything lovely and wrong with the current state of the FGC" or something to that effect. How else should I describe that kind of attitude other than standoffish?

I'm dismissive because I disagreed with what you were saying. That's how that usually works out haha. Sorry if dropping my own thoughts against what you said bothered you. I did my best to be civil about it, and re-reading my post history, maybe I guess I could have tried harder? Either way, my mainline thought is I feel like it's possible that not everyone who likes esports, or follows Max and other popular YT creators/Twitch streamers could turn out to be twats, but instead, they might actually be chill and decent people who legit enjoy fighting games and could be contributing members to the FGC. I don't think that's too radical. Oh, and I just thought it was funny you made a political analogy and made a response in kind. But in hindsight, yeah, with the way I wrote that, I could see that seemed random.

Me being standoffish to people who assume to know a lot of stuff and have an attitude that's not receptive to anything other than what their idol says, as i've had to deal with personally on multiple occasions, is not the same as the FGC being standoffish towards new people, this is a myth perpetrated by people who are annoying poo poo heads who get rightfully poo poo on for being annoying poo poo heads. I don't know if there's genuine poo poo scenes in the US but i'm yet to find one in europe that isn't extremely welcoming and encouraging, while i've personally dealt with people who come to things, sit in a corner on their own, make no effort to talk to anyone then return back and poo poo all over stuff online (including on this forum) with no self awareness that they may have just been a twat. There's also been so many incidents of esports things genuinely getting in the way of tournaments, whether it's ESL staff being completely incompetent, commentators with inflated egos demanding camera time, normal players who get sponsored and then decide to never reg until the day and throw twitter hissy fits about their pool, people refusing to play other people who want to learn because they view their time as so valuable it needs compensation, demands for exclusive practice stations for known top players (except that one guy he sucks) and generally it all contributes to a lovely system that benefits about 6 people while disenfranchising the rest of us. Games are no longer ordered and selected at tournaments based on popularity among entrants as much as whatever the US standard of games at events is at the time or whichever sponsors have decided to jump on despite there being no player base at all for said games in some cases. Then we get people online who watch Max and never go to any locals telling us all how there's no negatives to anything and having watched what happened to the international SC:BW scene with the advent of SC2, I'm more sensitive to lovely attempts to gentrify communities from outside pressure and opportunistic fuckwits.

I've said multiple times I have nothing against Max, I just think the content he makes sucks and is very cynical and that he doesn't contribute anything positive to the FGC in any material aspect.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like soul calibur

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 3, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Not being disingenuous here: I enjoyed reading all that. Giving context to perspective makes all the difference :haw: But now I'm curious how you feel about Turner Sports' ELEAGUE SFV Invitational, which seems like it's trying to capture the essence of what makes the FGC the "FGC" while also branding it up with esports production value.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

I like soul calibur

me too, soul calibur 3 color edit and astys hammer costume is very cool

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

100% agreed my friend

brian
Sep 11, 2001

teagone posted:

Not being disingenuous here: I enjoyed reading all that. Giving context to perspective makes all the difference :haw: But now I'm curious how you feel about Turner Sports' ELEAGUE SFV Invitational, which seems like it's trying to capture the essence of what makes the FGC the "FGC" while also branding it up with esports production value.

i don't think it was much to do with the FGC but i appreciated gootecks being gootecks

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This is good content

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sefal posted:

From what I've played of Tekken 7. Bound is still in play. Especially if you can connect a drop to let the stage fall.

It's going to be really good. I can't wait for Tekken 7

Not really, there's a similar mechanic called tailspin, but it comes abut through different moves, and sends the opponent way further out.

The floor breaks pop a lot higher than in TTT2, which is nice.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

MinibarMatchman posted:

I thought this was a funny read: "why juggles and combos are bad"

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368001

Fergus is a lovely fella and does a tonne of stuff for the community. If you have any interest in playing Asuka at all, he's pretty much the authority on the character.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

teagone posted:

how does an invitational capture the essence of the fgc lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I plan on playing as Miguel because I love simple powerful dudes who fight with one hand in their pocket, like Yamazaki

I can't wait to trick out Shaheen with bling because he looks so plain compared to Super Sentai Lars and Hot Topic Jin