Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn't notice at first but apparently when I play Mario Kart in handheld mode I use the buttons to steer instead of the stick.

Also I thought I couldn't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but when I switched from single player to four player I really felt the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I love playing my Switch at work at lunch

Because I can forget about the idiots here and enjoy shooting shells at people.

https://twitter.com/iajanus/status/859597119589502976

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Stan Taylor posted:

Has anyone found a good case for stuffing into a messenger bag or backpack? I'd like a pouch style so I could easily get the switch without having to pull the whole thing out and unzip it and everything.

I'm also looking for something like this, ideally <$30. This one seems nice, but has both a zipper and some straps you're supposed to put the Switch in, which seems like a bit of a hassle. All I want is something that'll let me set my Switch in a bag without worrying about the sticks or screen smacking into things

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I just bought Wonderboy and Tumbleseed, Mario KateD is arriving tomorrow and here I am on my fifth Battlegrounds game of the evening...

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
My Switch showed up today and was fully charged by the time I got done with work. Man, the new Zelda is awfully fun, and I really like that I was able to take it from the living room to my office so I could be quiet when my wife went to bed. I'm really impressed by how well the visuals and performance hold up in handheld mode too. I guess I'll see how long it takes my coworkers to pressure me into buying MK8D or Puyo Puyo Tetris, but I'm guessing Zelda can tide me over until Disgaea 5 if they don't.

I've got a couple questions though:

1. I have a tiny air (definitely not dust) bubble under my glass screen protector. Do I need to keep massaging that out toward an edge, or should I lift the thing back up a little and try to smooth it back down properly, or do those just kinda go away as the thing settles into place?
2. How do I know whether I have that left joycon defect? It sure seems like the left one's a little more sensitive to range than the right, but the right wasn't perfect all the way across my living room either.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Meldonox posted:

1. I have a tiny air (definitely not dust) bubble under my glass screen protector. Do I need to keep massaging that out toward an edge, or should I lift the thing back up a little and try to smooth it back down properly, or do those just kinda go away as the thing settles into place?
2. How do I know whether I have that left joycon defect? It sure seems like the left one's a little more sensitive to range than the right, but the right wasn't perfect all the way across my living room either.

1) just massage it out towards the edge
2) just follow these instructions to see if you have sync issues

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just keep massaging the bubble out. I had two big bubbles on mine and a bit of elbow grease got them out. Lifting up the glass will just cause the adhesive to fail and you'll end up with a corner that doesn't seal. Though I got rid of mine as soon as I put it on, I don't know if waiting too long will cause any issues.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Personally I'm waiting for the Switch to get a hardware revision where it's 50% smaller and is completely made up of non-euclidean geometry. I can't wait to try to hold it but have it slip out of my hands because the angles don't behave correctly and the mere sight of it drives me nearly insane each time I look at it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

While I 100% think there will be a switch lite. It cant get much smaller without killing screen size, and the joycons are too drat small as it is for me, I wouldnt want paper thin joycons. no no no

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm waiting for the Switch to become more easily available. Also Disgaea.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I waited till the switch was good and oh poo poo now it's in my hands

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can this dead, gay system even run Crysis?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would like it if my Switch could float in front of my face wherever I went.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The interior of the Switch has most of the volume taken up by 3 things. The battery, the Tegra X1, and the RAM modules. Of those, the RAM is about the only one that might see a shrink over the next few years.

About the most we can hope for is in a couple years the current flavor of Snapdragon processor has a GPU more capable than the X1 and Nintendo writes one hell of a good wrapper driver to take ARM version difference into account.

That might allow for a marginally smaller handheld, but the most likely thing to happen under those circumstances is a larger 1080p display (smaller bezels in the same space). Coupled with an improved SoC, it'll be able to run docked mode as hand held.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Switch is a good console.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

can I take my switch to the themeparks?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
TumbleSeed is good, y'all. However, it is very hard. This is not an exaggeration.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

When I create a tournament in Mario Kart, what time zone is used when I specify the start and stop times? It's apparently not my local time zone because it always shows as active way before it's supposed to. I also can't see any way to edit or delete it. Am I just stuck with this useless tournament on my favorites list until I erase my whole save and start over?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Bill Barber posted:

Do you know how physics works? Just wondering.

Two words: Moore's Law

Have the SoC in the Switch shrunk down to 16nm or even 10nm and then the cooling fan probably won't be needed. It will also be cheaper to produce thus maybe a lower price. It's why we now have the PS4 slim and Xbox One S.

And I'm going to laugh so hard at this thread when a "Switch Lite" is announced probably in less than a year because this is Nintendo we are talking about. They just announced the New 2DS XL because it's Nintendo. :laugh:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I didn't notice at first but apparently when I play Mario Kart in handheld mode I use the buttons to steer instead of the stick.

Also I thought I couldn't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but when I switched from single player to four player I really felt the difference.

People constantly overlook the fact that it isn't just a visual thing, 60fps reduces the input delay. The controls are significantly more responsive. It's a gameplay difference just as much as it is a visual difference.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.

spasticColon posted:

Is dead.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

spasticColon posted:

Have the SoC in the Switch shrunk down to 16nm or even 10nm and then the cooling fan probably won't be needed. It will also be cheaper to produce thus maybe a lower price. It's why we now have the PS4 slim and Xbox One S.

And I'm going to laugh so hard at this thread when a "Switch Lite" is announced probably in less than a year because this is Nintendo we are talking about. They just announced the New 2DS XL because it's Nintendo. :laugh:
None of this addresses the battery life concerns.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Then enjoy the beta version of the Switch hardware.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

spasticColon posted:

Then enjoy the beta version of the Switch hardware.
I have been, thank you.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Can we get wired joycons down the line

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People constantly overlook the fact that it isn't just a visual thing, 60fps reduces the input delay. The controls are significantly more responsive. It's a gameplay difference just as much as it is a visual difference.

I could see the difference too, switching to four player mode me think the game was running at 20fps for a while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

spasticColon posted:

Nvidia is not doing a die shrink of a 2 year old SoC. If they were planning on doing it, they would have done it before the switch launched as that would have been the logical time.

Nvidia has withdrawn from this market. This and the ShieldTV are the last hurrah of the Tegra SoC outside of AI and car infotainment systems.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

a.lo posted:

Can we get wired joycons down the line

When Joycons are attached in handheld mode, they communicate over pins, not wireless, so we already do!

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

The OEM AC Adapter is back in stock at Walmart for anyone who wants an extra one to take on the go: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-Switch-AC-Adapter-N-A/55449985

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

iajanus posted:

I love playing my Switch at work at lunch

Because I can forget about the idiots here and enjoy shooting shells at people.

https://twitter.com/iajanus/status/859597119589502976

Haha, I made a Luigi death stare video with that quote when the Wii U version came out, although there wasn't much of a death stare involved. https://youtu.be/1jkz-aa_ZP4

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i have no interest in the fisher price my first fighter and shooter games. anything else coming to switch before mario?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HyperPuma posted:

i have no interest in the fisher price my first fighter and shooter games. anything else coming to switch before mario?

I don't know what shooter you mean, but I can understand not being jazzed for Street Fighter 2 in this day and age

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
If Playmobil is a little under your age range, you could step up to Lego City Undercover.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Nvidia has withdrawn from this market. This and the ShieldTV are the last hurrah of the Tegra SoC outside of AI and car infotainment systems.

The Nintendo Switch is the most revolutionary device to enter cars since the radio. Whether attached to the console or joycon in each hand, the tactile control and motion controls ensure I can drive my car while playing Breath of the Wild.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I was thinking about paying Sprint more money to turn my phone into a mobile wifi device so I can play online games wherever. Is this feasible, or would the connection just not be strong enough?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Nvidia is not doing a die shrink of a 2 year old SoC. If they were planning on doing it, they would have done it before the switch launched as that would have been the logical time.

With the Switch selling like hotcakes, Nvidia or some other SoC maker will gladly make and sell Nintendo another SoC for the "New Nintendo Switch" in 2 years time and by then the Switch might have a much bigger and better library of games that would look and run better on the New Switch. Nintendo has always made so many interations of the same handheld systems (DS, DS lite, DSi, and DSi XL then 3DS, 3DSXL, n3DSXL, n3DS, 2DS, and now n2DSXL) so why would the Switch be immune to the same formula? I'll be very surprised if Nintendo bucks that trend.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 3, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think a drastically smaller Switch is happening anytime remotely soon, if at all.

However, one route they might take for a hardware revision is to put out a cheaper, handheld-focused edition. It'd have non-detachable controls (might allow them to make it a little smaller), and no dock in the box (shaves a good chunk off the pricetag). The only parts included would be the system and charger. Allows them to offer a lower cost up-front, while still leaving the option to upgrade to full functionality by buying a dock and controllers separately.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I was thinking about paying Sprint more money to turn my phone into a mobile wifi device so I can play online games wherever. Is this feasible, or would the connection just not be strong enough?

I have not done this personally but I've seen a few people comment they have, and that it works just fine. I'm sure as long as you have a fairly good 4g signal you're golden.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think a drastically smaller Switch is happening anytime remotely soon, if at all.

However, one route they might take for a hardware revision is to put out a cheaper, handheld-focused edition. It'd have non-detachable controls (might allow them to make it a little smaller), and no dock in the box (shaves a good chunk off the pricetag). The only parts included would be the system and charger. Allows them to offer a lower cost up-front, while still leaving the option to upgrade to full functionality by buying a dock and controllers separately.

Same, the die size might shrink. But the battery and the joy con rails won't for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

This. This right here this guy gets it. He just described a "Switch Lite" which is what I want.

• Locked thread