Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bigis posted:

Say a prayer for those poor Catholic schools getting a funding cut. :frogc00l:

What abut the other religious schools getting the cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

St. Wankers for Gifted Children.
I believe the Catholic Church has got in trouble for that kind of thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's hard to hate on something that both Mark Latham and the Catholic School system hate.

That said though, why is anyone even giving Mark Latham oxygen in the press? Like why the gently caress would anyone care what Mark Latham thinks.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian Au posted:

The survey, which analyses real cash flows against mortgage repayments, finds more than 767,000 households or 23.4% are now in mortgage stress, which means they have little or no spare cash after covering costs.

This includes 32,000 that are in severe stress, meaning they cannot cover repayments from current income.

The firm predicts that almost 52,000 households will probably default on mortgages over the next year. Risk hotspots include Meadow Springs and Canning Vale in Western Australia, Derrimut and Cranbourne in Victoria, and Mackay and Pacific Pines in Queensland.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/03/wealthy-feel-pinch-of-housing-costs-as-one-in-four-australians-face-mortgage-stress

So housing bubble bursting when?

Guardian AU posted:

Prof Bob Gregory from the Australian National University says the current budget’s projections show the deficit closing after 2021 thanks to personal income taxes hitting levels higher than the Costello years, and company taxes rebounding significantly.

But he warns that path to budget repair is unrealistic because the public won’t accept personal income tax rates hitting the highest level in two decades, and the government is pursuing multibillion-dollar company tax cuts anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/may/03/budget-repair-plan-relies-on-big-tax-hikes-leading-economist-warns

Debt and Deficit Disaster Mistah Speakah

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 3, 2017

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Anidav posted:

loving elevators

I remember changing schools for year 10 and ending up at a school that had an elevator - however you needed a swipe card that was only given to kids with disabilities (or a staff pass) to get it to work. Was pretty cool actually so it may not be all evil?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I went to a private Catholic school, but it didn't have an elevator. What level of class enemy am I?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

I went to a private Catholic school, but it didn't have an elevator. What level of class enemy am I?

George Pell

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

Were you actually Catholic?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
New 🐕

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think elevators are the true sign of capitalist sorcery.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Were you actually Catholic?

Me mam was.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

aejix posted:

I remember changing schools for year 10 and ending up at a school that had an elevator - however you needed a swipe card that was only given to kids with disabilities (or a staff pass) to get it to work. Was pretty cool actually so it may not be all evil?

Yeah, I don't know any school that lets the average kid use the elevators. Basically just for kids with disabilities, moving heavy equipment, and old teachers that probably shouldn't be carrying a whole bunch of books up 6 flights of stairs.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I'm pretty sure my public school had an elevator, only wheelchair kids could use it. When the school burnt down they rebuilt it on a single level

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

#occupyelevators

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The school I went to had no elevators until they admitted a dude in a wheelchair and then they built one when the realised 80% of the school was actually wheelchair inaccessible.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Looks like some people aren't happy with the number of people being laid off at Fairfax

https://twitter.com/srpeatling/status/859625561282535424

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/859625211091705856

Looking forward to 100% Domain articles for a week.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm on my way to Fairfax in Melb now. Gonna be a good week.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndieHamblin/status/859617970171121664

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Fairfax Media staff to strike after 125 more jobs axed under major restructure plan

Staff at the Sydney Morning Homosexual and The Age in Melbourne have voted to walk off the job for a week following Fairfax Media's announcement that it will cut 125 editorial jobs — roughly a quarter of its newsroom — as part of $30-million restructure.

Staff were informed of the cuts this morning by email and in a meeting with editorial director Sean Aylmer.

Staff have been given a deadline of next Tuesday, May 9, to nominate for a voluntary redundancy.

"While we will be looking across all parts of the newsroom, at the end of the redundancy program we expect there will be significantly fewer editorial management, video, presentation and section-writer roles," Mr Aylmer said.

Fairfax will also cap rates offered to freelance contributors and slash payments to casuals, aimed at cutting $3 million from the budget.

Mr Aylmer also signalled a change in editorial focus with the key mastheads — The Sydney Morning Homosexual, The Age, Brisbane Times and WA Today — publishing fewer state-based stories.

The decision drew a furious response from the journalists union, the Media, Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA).

MEAA chief executive Paul Murphy said the union was appalled by the decision.

"The decision indicates that, yet again, Fairfax is opting for savage cuts that will only weaken its business further rather than investing in its products and working to achieve smarter outcomes," Mr Murphy said

"None of the other parts of the Fairfax business are worth anything without the journalism and yet it is the journalism that Fairfax always cuts.

"This will only undermine and damage its mastheads further, alienating its audience and leaving the editorial staff remaining to have to work harder and harder to fill the gaps."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-03/fairfax-media-cut-further-125-editorial-staff-in-restructure/8492738

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

So business as usual?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Birdstrike posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/859625211091705856

And Joe 'scab' Aston columns.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
gently caress Fairfax.

They spent so much time trying to be Murdoch Jr. When they could've gone another route.

They deserve all the strikes and poo poo coming their way.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I got my hands on a copy of Ciao an inner west rag and glad to see they're covering the big issues

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Loving the priorities.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Sydney Morning Homosexual?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

Fairfax believes in COALITION MAGIC

Oh my god, it's been staring us in the face this entire time - coalition :coal:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Outgoing human rights commissioner Gillian Triggs wins freedom of speech award :frogsiren:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh my god, it's been staring us in the face this entire time - coalition :coal:

congratulations you are now fully qualified to post in the guardian comments section

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

:vince:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
How long till we get a pillar of salt from Bolt? I'd give him 12 hours max.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Does this mean theres going to be a new human rights commissioner that doesn't do anything for human rights?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ora Tzo posted:

Does this mean theres going to be a new human rights commissioner that doesn't do anything for human rights?

Human Rights Commissioner Tony Abbott.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

loving noice

If only Bill Leak were alive to see this, it may have killed him

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bisexual-teacher-denies-sexual-relationship-with-male-and-female-students-20170503-gvy3ag.html

This man is unbelievably dumb and deserves to have the book thrown at him. Don't treat people like idiots.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bisexual-teacher-denies-sexual-relationship-with-male-and-female-students-20170503-gvy3ag.html

This man is unbelievably dumb and deserves to have the book thrown at him. Don't treat people like idiots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGRqnNEOpe0

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

So the Fairfax discussion has taken a strange turn.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Are we allowed to slutshame the Domain shills?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bogan King posted:

Bin slut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

For fucks sake.

• Locked thread