Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pram posted:

because hes a moron

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
except for the whole "lol windows janitoring" thing, you can still disable cortana via GPO in creator's update

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Yeah lookin at xps15

With ltsb

No cortana, no app store, no downside

Cortana and the app store are pretty good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
for a clown

at the circus

the app circus

burning swine
May 26, 2004

infernal machines posted:

except for the whole "lol windows janitoring" thing, you can still disable cortana via GPO in creator's update

the GPO approach to disabling cortana no longer works in home/pro

you're stuck with her

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i thought they had only removed the UI option.

also i have pro, with cortana disabled by gpo, and cortana is still disabled after installing creator's update

burning swine
May 26, 2004

give it a few weeks i'm sure they'll turn her back on for you

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

i thought they had only removed the UI option.

also i have pro, with cortana disabled by gpo, and cortana is still disabled after installing creator's update

shrug

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is it actually doing anything? like if you hit the search button (which should look like a magnifying glass, not a ring) does cortana come up or does it just do a basic search?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Basic search, so I guess it's technically disabled. Shouldn't be running in the bg imo tho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the named process runs, but cortana isn't the search hook and isn't collecting any data

burning swine
May 26, 2004

is it actually doing anything? like if you hit the search button (which should look like a magnifying glass, not a ring) does cortana come up or does it just do a basic search?

lol

it's still cortana you pedant

still a running process

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so it has none of the "cortana" features and doesn't collect data or integrate with any online repository, but the process name is the same so i guess it's the same thing then?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol

still a running process

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol

still a running process

why do you care?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

next up COACHS SPORT BAR demands to know why this so called "SYSTEM IDLE" is using all his drat CPU time

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

flakeloaf posted:

i said the keyboard should fit flush, not plush you dumb prick

sorry, sir! doing my best!!
                           \

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

since the creators update win10 is now once again bugging me to install onedrive, great

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you have the creators update you already have onedrive, friend

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

so if neither firefox nor chrome are on windows store, you're locked in to edge unless you pay $50 right

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yikes
https://twitter.com/PooryaTeimoory/status/814434062152699904

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

sorry, just trying to suss out how you can't afford to have a browser window open

if you're using an old p3 with 512mb ram i can understand but most systems shouldn't have resource limitations that prevent a browser from running in the background

Blue Train posted:

He said the machine is too lovely to run outlook sooo

it runs browser or outlook just fine. the problem is when i start actually doing something else, since chrome with half a dozen tabs can take up to 30% of my cpu, and outlook isn't a marked improvement over that situation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

next up COACHS SPORT BAR demands to know why this so called "SYSTEM IDLE" is using all his drat CPU time
:laffo:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

~hardened~

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i know im a few pages late but thirty plus years in and windows still cant do copy/paste consistently

thats the good stuff right there

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

LastInLine posted:

i know im a few pages late but thirty plus years in and windows still cant do copy/paste consistently

anything that has to communicate between processes (eg. clipboard, web links) seems super flakey

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SupSuper posted:

anything that has to communicate between processes (eg. clipboard, web links) seems super flakey

keep going im almost there

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

the gently caress are you talking about? copy and paste have always worked fine

(except in cmd.exe lol)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, except when it doesn't, like office and each app's million different ways of handling the myriad data types windows will allow in the clipboard, and also poo poo that breaks because of some half-transition to a new window/process model (like excel)

but yeah, it works perfectly, except when it doesn't.

much like the windowing model itself.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

well, except when it doesn't, like office and each app's million different ways of handling the myriad data types windows will allow in the clipboard, and also poo poo that breaks because of some half-transition to a new window/process model (like excel)

but yeah, it works perfectly, except when it doesn't.

much like the windowing model itself.

oh yeah, i avoid using ms office like the plague.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Get a nice clipboard manager like Ditto and stop worrying about stupid application-specific problems.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Video Nasty posted:

Get a nice clipboard manager like Ditto and stop worrying about stupid application-specific problems.

"please stop criticizing this product for being broken out of the box"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

kinda this but that ditto thing looks interesting, going to try it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

that's basically macos.text

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Ditto owns for productivity. I bound CTRL + ~ to pop-up a list of recent copied items and select which I'd like to paste. It stores image data as well as proper formatting and the ability to regex search your copied history and store it in a localdb.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
stop inventing problems, then making programs that solve those imaginary problems

the only problem i have with copy-pasting is when the formatting of the text gets copied along with the text itself

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wheany posted:

stop inventing problems, then making programs that solve those imaginary problems

and with that, the entire city of san francisco popped out of existence

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Wheany posted:

the only problem i have with copy-pasting is when the formatting of the text gets copied along with the text itself
this so much

why did browsers decide copying half the page structure along with the selected text was a desirable feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'll be the ten-minute wait while word goes and fetches whatever bespoke artisanal typeface styling on the source webpage

windows has a clipboard app it's called notepad

• Locked thread