Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I spent years. YEARS. Thinking there were only 5 seasons because that's all that comes in the box set. I could have sworn there were episodes missing though and now it makes sense!

Season 6 ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bombadilillo posted:

This show does a lot of reset to normal like you do in a sitcom.

Only without the reset part.

See Bill finding love and then its just never spoken of again. Or also Bill cutting hair in the secret army arcade. Or Lucky spending an episode in a hospital because he canonically gets injured and sues for a job. Then a few episodes later the plot is them trying to get him to a hospital.

The final handful of episodes is particularly glaring like that when watched back to back. In a way it feels like they couldn't decide on a series finale, so they gave a bunch of characters individual finale episodes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Angelwolf posted:

I spent years. YEARS. Thinking there were only 5 seasons because that's all that comes in the box set. I could have sworn there were episodes missing though and now it makes sense!

Season 6 ordered.

I envy you

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rewatched Manger Babies. Good ep, especially the Hank's improv as the theatre assistant manager selling popcorn and popcorn accessories. Joe Six-Pack was kicked out of hell for wrecking the devil's truck.

The Troy Aikman cameo at the end was weird. His character design looked off model and it had nothing to do with the plot. I'm guessing as it was a Super Bowl episode, Fox insisted on shoehorning him in last second.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Bombadilillo posted:

Bill cutting hair in the secret army arcade.

Army officer: "Can anyone in here cut hair?"

Lisping soldier to his buddy: "Don't answer, it's a trick!"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

King Possum III posted:

Army officer: "Can anyone in here cut hair?"

Lisping soldier to his buddy: "Don't answer, it's a trick!"

this is one of the best jokes in the series

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

FuhrerHat posted:

this is one of the best jokes in the series

One of the many, many understated jokes that turn out to be very good indeed.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Reminds me of the Dales dad is gay episode where at the end Dale says.

"Why would I have a problem he's gay? John Redcorn's gay and we've been frineds for years!"

Dale wondered seasons before if John Redcorn was gay and then we get the payoff way later that yep Dale has decided that and run with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My favourite is Hank talking to those two guys about Ladybird's infertility. He thinks they're brothers, and then it jumps ahead to him explaining in vitro to Peggy later at home. The line went something like "I met these two guys at the dog park, and before everything went horribly wrong, they told me about in-vitro fertilization."

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My favourite is Hank talking to those two guys about Ladybird's infertility. He thinks they're brothers, and then it jumps ahead to him explaining in vitro to Peggy later at home. The line went something like "I met these two guys at the dog park, and before everything went horribly wrong, they told me about in-vitro fertilization."

HAH yes, that is a loving incredible moment. It's great how after Hank asks them out for a beer, they look at each other and go "Uhhhh.......sure."

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That could just be a great quote regardless of the context

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I loved when the pretty brown girl moved onto Rainey street, became Joseph's girlfriend, and the second John Redcorn sees her mother he drat-near BWAAAHs, for reasons he can never explain to Joseph. At least until it's time for college. Then we'll see which box Nancy checks.

Mom Party
Dec 12, 2015
100% into that time that Bobby was taking Ritalin and somehow got the hearing of a dog and the ability to sense when milk expires.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mom Party posted:

100% into that time that Bobby was taking Ritalin and somehow got the hearing of a dog and the ability to sense when milk expires.

There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad................and there it goes.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
There's 96 ridges on every checker.... except for this one

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Wait, the actual series finale is Manic Khan-Day? I watched it and thought I had the wrong episode. There's no closure of any kind on anything.

e: apparently it was To Sirloin With Love, which is better but not by much
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Sirloin_with_Love

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Wait, the actual series finale is Manic Khan-Day? I watched it and thought I had the wrong episode. There's no closure of any kind on anything.

e: apparently it was To Sirloin With Love, which is better but not by much
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Sirloin_with_Love

Yeah Fox messed the entire last season. S11E12, "Lucky's Wedding Suit" is the emotional finale you're looking for

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To Sirloin with Love was the last episode that aired on Fox but Manic Khan-Day was the last new episode that actually aired because four episodes only aired in syndication.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Yeah Fox messed the entire last season. S11E12, "Lucky's Wedding Suit" is the emotional finale you're looking for

Was that the creator's intended finale, and then Fox dredged it up for two more seasons? Or just a generally good "this is basically where the decent episodes ended" demarcation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was clearly supposed to be a series finale because the final bit of the episode with the wedding has literally every character show up, even minor ones who never appeared/were referenced outside of their respective episodes like Junichero.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Idk, the very end of To Sirloin With Love seems like it was intended as the end of the show

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

FinalGamer posted:

Speaking of bizarre celebrity/real-life people appearances, anyone remember the episode where Bill actually dated the real governor of Texas? I think Ann Richards was her name?

First off, who the gently caress managed to ring her in, and secondly, what's everyone's opinion on that one since I'm pretty intrigued at everyone Breaking (down) Bill.

Ann Richards was a loving badass.

Here she is in an Alamo Drafthouse "no talking" PSA.

ANN RICHARDS WILL TAKE YOUR rear end OUT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUqLWTQCeHM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't like talking about King of the Hill ending :smith: I prefer to think of it as constantly airing somewhere, new for somebody, even those who have already watched it. :unsmith:

I'm only half kidding.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NiceGuy posted:

I think the Cotton/Hank/Bobby dynamic is summed up pretty well by Cotton himself.

"Hell, if it's a contest on who's the better daddy, you win. I mean, you made Bobby. All I made was you."

That really seems to be the one redeeming factor that Cotton finds in Hank, that he could come to raise a grandson for him that he could love as much as he does Bobby. He's pretty much the only person or thing on earth he doesn't have some sort of hatred or contempt for.

It's amazing to me that people can spin this to Cotton's credit, rather than it being a searing indictment of Bobby, and Hank's parenting.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It's a mixed bag. Cotton is a vile old man who appreciates Bobby's seeming earnestness in grandpa's life. The irony is that Bobby just seems to be very genial and interested in a lot of adults, not specifically his grandpa. But Bobby's the only one who treats Cotton like a person and not an object of praise, hate, ridicule, fear like everybody else.

And then Bobby is so desperate for strong role models that he adopts Cotton's mannerisms (and Buck's) because they're men who his father seems to respect AND they give Bobby the time of day. And that all seems to be a result of Hank's inability to provide good models of behavior to his son, especially around women. When Bobby gets exposed to buddhism, he's totally open-minded to it and tries it out.

Also that Bobby is the Lama episode is great.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Most importantly imitating Gilbert.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

N. Senada posted:

Also that Bobby is the Lama episode is great.

"Don't tell anyone I'm a Lama. I want to blend in."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
13 seasons is a crazy amount of time for any show to have, especially one that was not treated well by its network.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I mean, poo poo, most shows go to crap by the 8th season, if they even make it to the 8th.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I wonder how many former smokers relapsed after the cigarette episode. I felt a slight twinge.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
What I love about Cotton is that even though he's probably stretching the truth about his exploits, he's enough of a genuine bad rear end that you know it's not all made up.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I wonder how many former smokers relapsed after the cigarette episode. I felt a slight twinge.

"Can't you see that I am knitting?"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Bush did 911, but

Hank Hill did Mega Lo Mart
Hank Hill did Tom Hammonds Car Lot

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

"But seriously honey, thanks for blowing up the Mega-Lo Mart"

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

"But seriously honey, thanks for blowing up the Mega-Lo Mart"

For all the great continuity this show usually has, this is one gag I wish had kept going.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
In the episode where Peggy becomes Paddlin' Peggy, I never noticed that at the end of the episode she wears the same slacks she got pants'd in, but this time she's added a belt. Also Christ Bobby is an unsympathetic rear end. Your mom just spanked a kid sure, but you know Dooley is a poo poo head, have a little bit of a heart, and don't kick her when she's down.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bobby is as sick of her poo poo as anyone else is.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

sassassin posted:

It's amazing to me that people can spin this to Cotton's credit, rather than it being a searing indictment of Bobby, and Hank's parenting.

dude thats how it works. grandparents are great but they sure were hosed up horrible people to your mom and dad.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What the hell is this cotton dies episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

ilmucche posted:

What the hell is this cotton dies episode?

Death Picks Cotton

It's really cool they had the cantankerous old man character actually die, and in a spiteful, cruel way too. No pussyfooting around. Very appropriate