Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zaphod42 posted:

MOST people were not using mice when Doom came out, but ID were using mice because they were nerds with workstation machines and stuff. So the game did support it from launch, but yeah, most people remember doom being "keyboard only" at first.

My grandpa had a mouse back on his 286 computer, I didn't know anybody without a mouse on their computer at the time. Plus you had all those DOS point and click adventure games. I'd think if your computer was good enough to play Doom, you were likely to have a mouse. Not to say that's how most played Doom (and the default control issues mentioned earlier), just saying I don't think PC mice were uncommon.

The Kins posted:

Actually, speaking of Adventures of Square, the project lead on that just put out a new side-project: an original MIDI soundtrack for Duke It Out In DC (which originally just reused Duke3d's episode 3 track definitions)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiUyezfhGyI

This is awesome, also loved that original fan made midi soundtrack for Final Doom's Plutonia Experiment.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

skasion posted:

The second one improves a lot of the mechanics and is generally more fun, variable, and challenging to play, as well as somewhat better written, but has big pacing problems and a general lack of polish stemming from being rushed to deadline.

I think this is the first time I've seen someone refer to KotoR2 as challenging.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think this is the first time I've seen someone refer to KotoR2 as challenging.

It isn't, it's easy as gently caress. But KOTOR 1 almost literally plays itself. If you set it to autolevel and just let it automatically spam attacks you can probably beat just about any mandatory fight except maybe the final boss.

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

boof posted:

If you're still in the mood for more Blood then the Death Wish map pack is absolutely amazing and well worth the time (and I think the creator has posted in this thread occasionally).

catlord posted:

100% seconding this. There's supposed to be a 1.4 update coming at some point, but 1.3 is solid enough that I see little reason to wait.

I'm updating it this October. :spooky: Death Wish v1.4 details are on the blog site, and I'll eventually add it to the ModDB page.

I've been busy doing indie game stuff since 2012 so I haven't had long stretches of time to work on it. Bit-by-bit I've been making little edits in my free time, and after 5 years of intermittent tinkering it has greatly improved. I was going to update the movies sometime in the next 5 months as well, but I remember having trouble getting the old Bink video conversion working properly (or was it just Smacker Video...the movie files have ".smk" extensions). I also think I had to make the movies at 320x200 for some reason. I probably would have written the steps down but I hadn't planned on touching Death Wish again after I made v1.3. I haven't had much luck finding forum posts on how to do it properly since there are hardly any people doing Blood stuff these days.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Is the rumour that there are anti-fun Atari squads around the Internet true?

If it is, then I would fear for the safety of dlooBEx.

I guess I'm just paranoid but I'm still waiting for Atari to finally crash and burn.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I guess I'm just paranoid but I'm still waiting for Atari to finally crash and burn.

Atari has crashed and burned like 8 times so far. Each time it comes back with lawyers who are bigger dicks about IP.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Where do they get the money to even hire lawyers? They should e been broke as poo poo.

Edit: the gog sale is pretty cool. Everyone grab those while they're hot, lot of good shooters there.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 3, 2017

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

Or one mouse and one joystick, since nobody had two mice. Of course, attempting to use a joystick was a bizarre chore where you had to rotate the stick clockwise or counter-clockwise to move the cursor either diagonal down-left or up-right. Unless it was just my Amiga joystick...

I remember playing Duke 3D with my left hand on the numpad and my right using one of those fancy Thrustmaster flight sticks for aiming and shooting. I have no idea how I managed.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
MDK has mouse aiming, but the first level was bundled with the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro joystick. They even added force feedback to the game just for that. The 90s were a special time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mak0rz posted:

Not a shooter but: would I like KotOR if I loved Mass Effect but don't really care for Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, or MMORPGs?

KotOR was the first game I was really, truly obsessed about, but it plays like Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, or Neverwinter Nights rather than Mass Effect, so I'm going to say that you are unlikely to enjoy it if you didn't like playing those games.

FuriousGrey posted:

I'm updating it this October. :spooky: Death Wish v1.4 details are on the blog site, and I'll eventually add it to the ModDB page.

loving kick-rear end. I can't wait.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Is the rumour that there are anti-fun Atari squads around the Internet true?

If it is, then I would fear for the safety of dlooBEx.

Well, Space Trucker is still up and uses stolen Atari assets so I have no clue what their deal is. Atari is a bunch of fucks though and I would not be surprised if they continue to let Space Trucker rip them off but shut down something that is actually totally a boon and requires people to buy their stuff like BloodEX.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SavageMessiah posted:

I remember playing Duke 3D with my left hand on the numpad and my right using one of those fancy Thrustmaster flight sticks for aiming and shooting. I have no idea how I managed.

This doesn't sound too bad. It's like that FPS arcade game that was posted some pages back.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Not a shooter but: would I like KotOR if I loved Mass Effect but don't really care for Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, or MMORPGs?

It's 2 bux and a great game so it's worth a try. Even if you hate RPGs you'll probably have some fun with it if you dig Star Wars at all. If nothing else it's always entertaining using force persuasion to gently caress with people. My favorite is telling a pair of thugs to to give you their weapons and cash and then jump off a cliff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gobblecoque posted:

It's 2 bux and a great game so it's worth a try. Even if you hate RPGs you'll probably have some fun with it if you dig Star Wars at all. If nothing else it's always entertaining using force persuasion to gently caress with people. My favorite is telling a pair of thugs to to give you their weapons and cash and then jump off a cliff.

Which one has the sassy robot companion? I should at least play that one.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Which one has the sassy robot companion? I should at least play that one.

Both! He doesn't show up in 1 until Tatooine, but he's there from the start in 2.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

I remember in Hexen 2 specifically if you rapidly alternate tapping the left and right strafe keys while running forward you'll go really loving fast. It's almost like the character springs forward a bit each time you tap the key.

This was as a Necromancer though. I dunno if that matters.

Hexen 2 has the full set of Quake movement physics and all the speed barrier breaking trickery that entails

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I first played doom in like January or February '94 but was the DOS floppy release (and was like a copy of a copy of a copy). I saved lunch money for long to get Doom 95 and there started to play with mouse but as I said previously, I had an ancient gamepad with an analog stick and I used that for moving around. So yeah, it was gamepad+mouse for me untill Unreal wich made me finally switch to KB+m.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

Hexen 2 has the full set of Quake movement physics and all the speed barrier breaking trickery that entails

Yeah but it seemed way more exaggerated in Hexen 2. I'm thinking it had something to do with class specific speed?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I played Doom and Duke 3D with a Gravis Gamepad, then later completed Half-Life without knowing that it had mouselook. Your right hand goes on the arrow keys, how could you also use the mouse at the same time?? :downs:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I played Doom and Duke 3D with a Gravis Gamepad, then later completed Half-Life without knowing that it had mouselook. Your right hand goes on the arrow keys, how could you also use the mouse at the same time?? :downs:

How the gently caress did you manage Duke with a Gravis Gamepad? I notice you didn't say 'beat'. I mean, I had one and loved it, but it was the SNES' bastard cousin.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Not very well. The one part I distinctly remember is that I had jump and duck bound to numpad+ and enter so I could hit them with my right pinky without taking my hand off the controller because there just weren't enough buttons. I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to just use the keyboard. Half-Life I played keyboard only with mostly default controls, but with look up/down bound to Z and X.

I first time I tried keyboard+mouse was playing UT99 at someone else's house and he had forward on mouse 3 and back on spacebar so it didn't exactly win me over right away.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I played through Quake 2 using my left hand on my Microsoft Sidewinder and my right hand on the mouse.

It wasn't until Half-Life 1 that I went WASD + Mouse.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 3, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, backwards on space? :psyduck:

I think we should all post our most hosed up but still theoretically functional keybindings.

Open Inventory with Print Screen.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I played 'Terminator Future Shock' as my first ever mlook+ game and I was stuck on Q-A-CapsLock-S for ages, as it was just a little more relaxed finger spacing to WSAD, but a bunch of games wouldn't take Caps as a movement key and I had to go with the flow :o:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Script Lock for Jump :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think we should all post our most hosed up but still theoretically functional keybindings.

I once saw a config that was set diagonally. It was something like S forward, Z backward, A left, X right.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah but it seemed way more exaggerated in Hexen 2. I'm thinking it had something to do with class specific speed?

I think the Assassin had a better movespeed than the other classes.

What was the purpose of walk/run back in the oldschool games? I assumed everybody just turned autorun on unless they were trying to do some engine fuckery.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You'd want to walk through finicky platforming bits.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I think one of the Tomb Raider games on PC, presumably due to putting no thought into the PC version whatsoever, had "S" mapped to "Screenshot". At one point the game started to slow down to a ridiculous extent, and we eventually discovered it was because it had taken so many screenshots it filled up the hard drive.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I use QWES instead of WASD (strafe keys are moved up one). I always blamed this on System Shock since I played it before I was used to KB + mouse and the controls were not configurable. A nice theory, except I just looked up the SS controls and they don't use QWES for movement... :iiam:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vargatron posted:

I think the Assassin had a better movespeed than the other classes.

What was the purpose of walk/run back in the oldschool games? I assumed everybody just turned autorun on unless they were trying to do some engine fuckery.

IIRC Thief had like four different forward movement speeds (two keys, "walk" and "walk faster" plus the run key that you can use with them). For different levels of sneakiness, I guess.

There was a time between when I adopted mouselook but hadn't yet moved on to WASD. Movement was bound to the arrow keys and all other keys I need (sprint, crouch, jump, weapons) were bound to the keys around them. My friend convinced me that WASD was way more convenient when I was in like my second year of college. This was in 2006-7 or so and playing new games like Doom 3 and HL2. WASD was already the default and I was rebinding the controls to the arrow keys. I was incredibly dumb.

Edit: No this would have been in my first year when we started hosting ET and Q3 matches in our dorm, so 2005-6. Still not much better.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 3, 2017

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Duke had a "turn 180" key. I think I only used it for one annoying timed switch puzzle that was awkward without a mouse.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Two Owls posted:

Duke had a "turn 180" key. I think I only used it for one annoying timed switch puzzle that was awkward without a mouse.

Now that you mention it, so did Blood. I rebound it but never once used it. Probably more handy if you're playing without a mouse.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Now that you mention it, so did Blood. I rebound it but never once used it. Probably more handy if you're playing without a mouse.

It also had binds to look 90 degrees left or right that made everything go all pixelly. Who ever used that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Convex posted:

It also had binds to look 90 degrees left or right that made everything go all pixelly. Who ever used that?

Marathon has the same thing. I can see how it would conceivably be useful for popping out around a blind corner, but in practice I haven't used it once in like twenty years.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

skasion posted:

Marathon has the same thing. I can see how it would conceivably be useful for popping out around a blind corner, but in practice I haven't used it once in like twenty years.

Marathon's glance buttons were good for turning quickly to shoot someone near you if you weren't using the mouse.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Bring back Q&E to lean around corners :argh:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Sir Lemming posted:

Bring back Q&E to lean around corners :argh:

The two newest Wolf games do this don't they? Can't remember the default binds mind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

c0burn posted:

The two newest Wolf games do this don't they? Can't remember the default binds mind.

You can lean in Dishonored but I'm not sure why you'd want to in a high-speed action game. Was there a stealth sequence in TNO/TOB I'm forgetting about?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

haveblue posted:

You can lean in Dishonored but I'm not sure why you'd want to in a high-speed action game. Was there a stealth sequence in TNO/TOB I'm forgetting about?

About half of TNO can be done in stealth, I'd imagine TIB is the same way. The lean is incredibly handy in stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I got 2 free Quake beta keys if anyone wants them

CAM7-E37R-G2XA-4P7A-K29N

NNA3-K37R-C2UH-6K9K-Q43X