Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hustlin Floh posted:

It was quite the stinker. I liked the one inscrutible ninja raven guard guy killing Lucias in a duel but making sure to turn towards the proverbial camera and say "I TAKE NO PRIDE IN THIS".

Also, I don't think Lucius is meant to be in full on Eternal mode yet, just like Kharn isn't yet the chosen of Khorne and Ahriman isn't the chosen of Tzeentch. All three are clearly on the way to becoming what they are in 40k, but aren't there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I'm reading Cadian Blood and super loved the naval engagement parts. Any good space boat books worth reading?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cythereal posted:

Also, I don't think Lucius is meant to be in full on Eternal mode yet, just like Kharn isn't yet the chosen of Khorne and Ahriman isn't the chosen of Tzeentch. All three are clearly on the way to becoming what they are in 40k, but aren't there yet.

Yeah, didn't he get resurrected by Fabius that time?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hustlin Floh posted:

Yeah, didn't he get resurrected by Fabius that time?

IIRC, yeah but Fabius went "Uh... I'm pretty sure that shouldn't have worked. Even by MY standards this is hosed up. WTF?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moose-Alini posted:

I'm reading Cadian Blood and super loved the naval engagement parts. Any good space boat books worth reading?

There's a decent fleet battle scene in Sabbat Martyr, but like everything else in that book, it is over far too quickly and is truncated all to hell.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, it was in Angel Exterminatus. As a sidebar, when I finished reading that one, I set it down on a table and when I came back to it the cat had puked on it, so I guess his opinion of it was about the same as mine.

I liked the characterization of Perturabo and the Iron warriors, but everything Fulgrim related is just painfully bad.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Hustlin Floh posted:

It was quite the stinker. I liked the one inscrutible ninja raven guard guy killing Lucias in a duel but making sure to turn towards the proverbial camera and say "I TAKE NO PRIDE IN THIS".

Ugggh that was so very bad.

The very opening line of the book is a heavy-handed and lame metaphor for its plot. It reads like someone going 'Wow, this Storm of Iron book is rad. But my prequel fanfic will make it even better. It'll have a wacky mad scientist! And a badass ninja marine who never misses and is the best starship fighter and swordsman! And a guy outright screaming 'I CARE NOT FROM WHENCE THE BLOOD FLOWS' to give people a subtle hint that maaaaybe things are heading in a new direction!"

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moose-Alini posted:

The Night Lords books by ADB have some great naval engagements in them, especially Blood Reaver. They're not the focus of the books, but The Exalted, one of the major characters of the series, is this great naval commander. They're also loving dope books by ADB and required reading.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Moose-Alini posted:

Get the two Battlefleet Gothic novels, Execution Hour and Shadow Point by Gordon Rennie. Or The Gothic War omnibus which has both books and a graphic novel in the back. It's all Imperial Navy, all the time and quite good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SRM posted:

The Night Lords books by ADB have some great naval engagements in them, especially Blood Reaver. They're not the focus of the books, but The Exalted, one of the major characters of the series, is this great naval commander. They're also loving dope books by ADB and required reading.

Vandred is the great naval commander, The Exalted is just the dick puppeteering him. :spergin:

On a related note, the way that arc concludes was badass.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Betrayer has a couple of void engagements as well, one of them truly momentous. Lotara Sarrin is the best captain, period.

Three mega-ships defending a planet-bound legion from a vengeance-hungry armada of 40+ smaller capital vessels is just boss. It makes me sad that Lotara probably ended chainsawed in half after a discussion with some World Eater sergeant, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Betrayer also has some good naval combat, courtesy of the woman badass enough to be the captain of Angron's flagship and shoot a World Eater captain in the face and live.

quote:

It makes me sad that Lotara probably ended chainsawed in half after a discussion with some World Eater sergeant, though.

I never got that impression. Angron respected her and she got away with shooting one of the World Eaters' greatest champions in the face. I'd imagine she's a daemon princess of Khorne in 40k, hunting the stars from her demonic flagship Conqueror.

I'd also accept "Went out like an absolute badass at the Siege of Terra."

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 1, 2017

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Killing Lucius is a bad idea.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Thanks, I'm now $70 poorer. I blame that infernal Badcast!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Are there any Blood Bowl books from Black Library that are worth reading?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They only did three, and they're okay. The first one is good, the second is the same but different so kind of lame and the third just goes off the rails and is kind of bad.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sephyr posted:

Ugggh that was so very bad.

The very opening line of the book is a heavy-handed and lame metaphor for its plot. It reads like someone going 'Wow, this Storm of Iron book is rad. But my prequel fanfic will make it even better. It'll have a wacky mad scientist! And a badass ninja marine who never misses and is the best starship fighter and swordsman! And a guy outright screaming 'I CARE NOT FROM WHENCE THE BLOOD FLOWS' to give people a subtle hint that maaaaybe things are heading in a new direction!"

The best part is the author writing bad Storm of Iron prequel fanfiction is also the author who wrote Storm of Iron.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moose-Alini posted:

Thanks, I'm now $70 poorer. I blame that infernal Badcast!

Happy to help separate our listeners from their juice money!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Are there any Blood Bowl books from Black Library that are worth reading?

Arquinsiel posted:

They only did three, and they're okay. The first one is good, the second is the same but different so kind of lame and the third just goes off the rails and is kind of bad.

They recently came out with eight short stories. I haven't read them yet, but none are by Matt Forbeck, who was apparently running out of puns and ideas midway into the original series.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
BL just came out with an "Authors" page, so you can find books from specific authors you enjoy, rather than having to search through all the books on the site (or just typing "Abnett" in the search box.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

BL just came out with an "Authors" page, so you can find books from specific authors you enjoy, rather than having to search through all the books on the site (or just typing "Abnett" in the search box.)

The order is kinda hosed up for the books if you want to look at them in chronological order, like it has Helsreach and a Night Lords short story before Cadian Blood, which is ADB's first novel, but it's still nice.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

The order is kinda hosed up for the books if you want to look at them in chronological order, like it has Helsreach and a Night Lords short story before Cadian Blood, which is ADB's first novel, but it's still nice.

Yeah, it's certainly not optimized at all, but at least nobody has to figure out how to spell "Aaron Dembski-Bowden."

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Has anyone played Battlefleet Gothic Armada? I just discovered that this game exists and I will be buying it when I get a new computer!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Best Warhammer strategy game out there. It's brilliant.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, it's certainly not optimized at all, but at least nobody has to figure out how to spell "Aaron Dembski-Bowden."

I read ADB so much I know how to spell his stupid name by heart.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
The Gildar Rift is mostly space combat done by the Silver Skulls chapter, but I can't recommend that book because their chapter is so utterly hamstrung by their worship of the progenitors (librarians).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Your LP of it is good and cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

As good a representation of 40K as Dawn of War 2? (Not saying best 40K game, just best representation of the universe)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Only if you have an obscene lust for ramming spaceships.

(Kidding Herp.)

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

pubic works project posted:

Has anyone played Battlefleet Gothic Armada? I just discovered that this game exists and I will be buying it when I get a new computer!

Definitely get it, it's fantastic, and the soundtrack is the most 40k thing I've ever heard.

Arcsquad12 posted:

As good a representation of 40K as Dawn of War 2? (Not saying best 40K game, just best representation of the universe)

Well, the space part, at least. Though the opening cutscenes do a great job at illustrating the themes and mood of the setting overall.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dawn of War 2 represents chaos and space marines better than any other 40k game. Space Marine oddly has the best Imperial Guards, but BFG:A hits every other base perfectly.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Only if you have an obscene lust for ramming spaceships.

Wait, some people don't?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
My lust for starships colliding is merely insatiable, not obscene.

But I'm working on it.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm taking a break from reading the HH stuff and decided to finish off the Space Wolf series. I'm about a third of the way into Wolfblade and already I can tell I'm going to like Haegr.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just finished Damnation of Pythos, and man. The Iron Hands are just straight up fascists. Like, more so than any other marine chapter.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just finished Damnation of Pythos, and man. The Iron Hands are just straight up fascists. Like, more so than any other marine chapter.

It's kinda hard to escape fascism when you literally are a Nietzschein Uberman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Congratulations, you've picked up on a running theme of the Imperium of Man. Part of Perturabo's bitterness is that he's a strong believer in democracy, and the Imperium in general and Emperor in particular has no time for that poo poo.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Well to be fair democracy in 40k leads to chaos.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

pubic works project posted:

You're in luck because it's on sale for 60% off on Steam until May 5th.

10,000 years of separation from everything that makes a person human will do that to you. Also, they had a poor start anyway, what with thinking "the flesh is weak" and all.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Greataval posted:

Well to be fair democracy in 40k leads to chaos.

If I were a greater demon I'd totally try to spread Democracy throughout the imperium, or at the very least be a champion of the proletariat. Mutants of the imperium unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If I were a greater demon I'd totally try to spread Democracy throughout the imperium, or at the very least be a champion of the proletariat. Mutants of the imperium unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains!

Yes, but you wouldn't be doing that for democracy, you'd be doing that to sow dissent and create chaos. Once those mutants had thrown off their oppressive overlords, it would immediately turn into an episode of the Twilight Zone, where the strongest mutants/three-armed mutants/less ugly mutants become the new rulers and oppress the other muties in a cruel parody of their previous existence.

And you'll just laugh and laugh and laugh...