Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah basically if you've ever used chome or failfox as your daily driver html being poo poo is entirely you're fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

It got to a workable state that was widely supported and made things fine, but the working group behind it started working a whole lot towards semantic web ideals while the HTML5 group started concurrently working on all kinds of video extensions and canvas elements and local storage and poo poo driven by google, bypassing the XHTML effort altogether rather than extending that.

Around the same time chrome was getting in place and bigger and pushed for HTML5 on its own and all the front-end people enjoyed the really better APIs than whatever HTML 4.x and XHTML folks were pushing and so that poo poo just never got more traction than objectively good decisions such as "giving the capacity to get rid of flash".

The kind of shameful bit is that HTML5 should arguably have built on the XHTML base, but they instead decided to just circle back to HTML4.x and pretend the xml compatibility never existed.

Lots of html5 was driven by apple: canvas for dashboard widgets, video for iPhone, resource manifests and other SPA poo poo for pre-app-store iPhone apps, etc.

xhtml barely worked on ie6 which was still the #1 browser in 2007, and really who gives a poo poo if you use your existing forgiving HTML parser to parse a video or canvas tag instead of requiring that an html 5 document preclude most users from even seeing a gracefully degraded version

requiring strict xhtml parsing is just spitefully excluding new developers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no it wasn't. it was excluding established bad developers who were scared by xml because they were and are retards

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cocoa Crispies posted:

requiring strict xhtml parsing is just spitefully excluding new developers

still waiting for someone to explain why it is a good thing that you can publish code to be executed on other people's computers without even having to meet a bar as low as "understands the concept of syntax"

like by all means have an easy programming environment built into every computer that doesn't even do basic validation, but don't loving make that the basis of my banking interface

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

well i got that far

i don't know how to get any farther lol

code:
void read_from_tokens(){

}

first actually create a number, atom, or string object (if you’re feeling brave) based on the tokens you read

then make reading a list produce a linked list of pairs

then create a dictionary (the environment) in which you only keep one copy of any particular atom you read, so reading (a a a) would get you a list all three of whose elements are references to the same a

then prepopulate the environment with pointers to some hardcoded functions like car and cdr

finally you can implement eval to just look up the function to call based on the first element in a list, look up the values for the arguments, call it with the arguments, and return back its result

“special forms” like define, quote, cond are something you can implement inside your eval implementation since you need special evaluation rules for them (e.g. quote exists to avoid evaluating its argument)

boom, you have a very basic Lisp

also this person wrote a series of articles on bootstrapping a Scheme and there’s also a great paper called An Incremental Approach to Compiler Construction and a more in-depth tutorial that walk through writing a Scheme compiler for x86 in Scheme, including some of the more interesting stuff like closures and code generation

eschaton fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 3, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
it seems like html5 should've been "here's how we're all gonna agree to parse this old shameful syntax but we won't give it the new features" and xhtml could've been "here's a more sane syntax that also gets the new features"

so if you want to canvas your videos you gotta learn xhtml

but if you just want your lil webzone with headers and paragraphs you can go right ahead

(im not remotely surprised it didn't turn out this way)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

no it wasn't. it was excluding established bad developers who were scared by xml because they were and are terrible

only minor modification is required to render some unironic shaggar agreement

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Soricidus posted:

still waiting for someone to explain why it is a good thing that you can publish code to be executed on other people's computers without even having to meet a bar as low as "understands the concept of syntax"

like by all means have an easy programming environment built into every computer that doesn't even do basic validation, but don't loving make that the basis of my banking interface

because it's always been that way, and in the early days it made sense to just let someone that doesn't program much like an author or a CS professor or a physicist make a web page

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Soricidus posted:

html is code?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Shaggar posted:

yeah basically if you've ever used chome or failfox as your daily driver html being poo poo is entirely you're fault

Anyone who uses anything other than Lynx is a filthy degenerate who deserves to have their videos and images and Javascript burn in hell for all eternity.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

well i got that far

i don't know how to get any farther lol

code:
void read_from_tokens(){

}

shunting-yard algorithm?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

OldAlias posted:

shunting-yard algorithm?

isn't that for infix notation? i want to write a simple scheme interpreter and that's RPN.

eschaton posted:

first actually create a number, atom, or string object (if you’re feeling brave) based on the tokens you read

then make reading a list produce a linked list of pairs

then create a dictionary (the environment) in which you only keep one copy of any particular atom you read, so reading (a a a) would get you a list all three of whose elements are references to the same a

then prepopulate the environment with pointers to some hardcoded functions like car and cdr

finally you can implement eval to just look up the function to call based on the first element in a list, look up the values for the arguments, call it with the arguments, and return back its result

“special forms” like define, quote, cond are something you can implement inside your eval implementation since you need special evaluation rules for them (e.g. quote exists to avoid evaluating its argument)

boom, you have a very basic Lisp

also this person wrote a series of articles on bootstrapping a Scheme and there’s also a great paper called An Incremental Approach to Compiler Construction and a more in-depth tutorial that walk through writing a Scheme compiler for x86 in Scheme, including some of the more interesting stuff like closures and code generation

aha thanks I'll set up a GitHub and see if I can get somewhere with these papers

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the best thing html5 ever did was free us from flash and silverlight

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ultravoices posted:

what horseshit is this

he's not wrong, really. programmers aren't held to any kind of consistent professional standard so tons of businesses end up running on really shoddy work. i'm not saying things should be made artificially difficult, but i don't think the current state of things is really all that great either.

i dunno, i don't actually have any ideas it'd just be nice to be able to walk into a job and expect to work with something reasonably professional instead of another shambling legacy horror.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ultravoices posted:

what horseshit is this

hello i'm your resident stack of 900mb of javascript dependancies written in 15 different dialects that young peter the almost-former homeless alcoholic has used for his personal blog on hardships of being unemployable hobo in post-soviet space

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
just yell at your coworkers until they conform to your required code standards

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
everything being hot garbage is not a result of low standards its the fact that poo poo keeps working anyway despite them

~market forces~ only care about working, its not asking how or why

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS
I have two course options to choose from next semester in my masters program:

Functional Programming with Java & Scala
or
Advanced JavaScript (working with frameworks)

Much of my work has been oriented towards Enterprise Java applications(i.e. Spring). I haven't had the need or chance to really get into the nitty gritty with JS, but am completely inexperienced with functional programming.

what do?

Pointsman
Oct 9, 2010

If you see me posting about fitness
ASK ME HOW MY HELLRAISER TRAINING IS GOING
Scala

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Scala for sure. You can still program java in it, you'll pick up the functional stuff as part of the course (and scala doesn't go nuts with that stuff anyway)

Only do the js one if you really want to be a web developer (you do not want to be a web developer)

Even if you never touch scala again the knowledge will apply to c#'s linq or java 8's streams easily enough

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

jony neuemonic posted:

he's not wrong, really. programmers aren't held to any kind of consistent professional standard so tons of businesses end up running on really shoddy work. i'm not saying things should be made artificially difficult, but i don't think the current state of things is really all that great either.

i dunno, i don't actually have any ideas it'd just be nice to be able to walk into a job and expect to work with something reasonably professional instead of another shambling legacy horror.

my objection was mostly to the 'but my figgies will be depressed if other people learn coding' part of the argument.

any attempts at professional standards get co-opted immediately, you see this with the running treadmill of certifications.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

ultravoices posted:

my objection was mostly to the 'but my figgies will be depressed if other people learn coding' part of the argument.

any attempts at professional standards get co-opted immediately, you see this with the running treadmill of certifications.

i used to think that way when i worked for a lovely company that looked to pay bargain basement prices for talent. now that i work for a place that's cool and good i've come to realize that talent in the industry is so stratified that the upper 30% (of which, i'm sure most folks in this thread fit by virtue of just thinking about programming) won't have to worry about more programmers affecting their compensation.

nern
Oct 29, 2005

RIDE RIDIN LIKE THE DEMON INSIDE YOUR DREAMS

gonadic io posted:

Scala for sure. You can still program java in it, you'll pick up the functional stuff as part of the course (and scala doesn't go nuts with that stuff anyway)

Only do the js one if you really want to be a web developer (you do not want to be a web developer)

Even if you never touch scala again the knowledge will apply to c#'s linq or java 8's streams easily enough

thank you

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

nern posted:

or

Much of my work has been oriented towards Enterprise Java applications(i.e. Spring). I haven't had the need or chance to really get into the nitty gritty with JS, but am completely inexperienced with functional programming.

what do?

lmao what does a masters level class in "advanced" javascript even look like?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

karms posted:

everything being hot garbage is not a result of low standards its the fact that poo poo keeps working anyway despite them

exactly this

software doesn't care about "best practices"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

lmao what does a masters level class in "advanced" javascript even look like?

• strict mode

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blinkz0rz posted:

i used to think that way when i worked for a lovely company that looked to pay bargain basement prices for talent. now that i work for a place that's cool and good i've come to realize that talent in the industry is so stratified that the upper 30% (of which, i'm sure most folks in this thread fit by virtue of just thinking about programming) won't have to worry about more programmers affecting their compensation.

i agree most of the dudes slinging bad rails and node poo poo around to cobble together websites and company portals and whatever learned their trade in one of those bootcamps or an online tutorial and there's a ceiling on what they can do without deeper understanding of the machine they're programming. i certainly feel like i became like 5 times the programmer i used to be after being forced to actually think about how the machine works while doing compiler and os stuff in university classes. before that i was a coder, after that i felt slightly closer to being an engineer.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

nern posted:

i'm sceptical about this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nern posted:

or

what do?
Masters in what

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

ultravoices posted:

poor ultravoices, thought about programmers stealing his figgies and died

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

poor ultravoices, thought about programmers stealing his figgies and died

i am so looking forward to being one of those figgies stealers.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

ultravoices posted:

karms posted:

~market forces~ only care about working, its not asking how or why

good points. when you can build a successful business on a dumpster fire, people are gonna.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

i agree most of the dudes slinging bad rails and node poo poo around to cobble together websites and company portals and whatever learned their trade in one of those bootcamps or an online tutorial and there's a ceiling on what they can do without deeper understanding of the machine they're programming. i certainly feel like i became like 5 times the programmer i used to be after being forced to actually think about how the machine works while doing compiler and os stuff in university classes. before that i was a coder, after that i felt slightly closer to being an engineer.

You need real world experience and the schooling, really. I'm the opposite in that I went through a mostly math-oriented computer science degree. I mostly only programmed in a high level academic sense, and never really understood a lot about what really goes on in computers until I took a job that ultimately led to me having to learn to program 8-bit PIC microcontrollers in their limited assembly language and some VHDL. Before that the concept of registers and bus lines, etc was fairly foreign to me (you mean theres a... clock... making my code... run... :aaaaa: ).

I still don't have a deep understanding of modern compilers etc but gently caress I'm glad I got into embedded stuff and don't have to deal too much with web and UI bullshit. The problem at this level though (in my experience) is that people are great at slinging bits around but tend not to be knowledgable about higher level algorithms - myself included, but I've recently been trying to improve that.

nern posted:

what do?

N'thing the FP course over the JS course. The JS will probably be an easy A and you might get a good project or two out of it, but really 'using a framework' is something pretty much all devs will have to do and, if the framework is worth its salt, its docs will give you all the info you need.

The FP course may actually warp the way you think about programming a little bit (in a good way), and you're not likely to experience it outside acedemia/self learning.

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 3, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

xhtml died because the standards bodies did absolutely nothing of note for long enough that a rogue working group (whatwg) managed to deliver substantial improvement behind their backs

would it be great if html was more regular and easier to parse/validate? yes

has anyone ever come close to delivering on an xml variant of html that is actually useable? gently caress no

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ultravoices posted:

i am so looking forward to being one of those figgies stealers.

oh lol i quoted the wrong post.

in other terrible programmer news a team just asked us to confirm some data they couldn't load because they're taking an XML document with N nodes and just assuming that a concatenation of all nodes (plus comma separators!) will be less than 20 chars because they store it as a separated string in a text field. if they get 21 chars+ it just crashes

what the gently caress guys

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

oh lol i quoted the wrong post.

i figured, my terrible programmer status only up to 'can make it about halfway through a coding PUA site before getting stuck on something'.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ultravoices posted:

coding PUA site

you probably need to focus on negging

*tips fedora*

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nern posted:

every framework in this class will be obsolete before the class ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

in other terrible programmer news a team just asked us to confirm some data they couldn't load because they're taking an XML document with N nodes and just assuming that a concatenation of all nodes (plus comma separators!) will be less than 20 chars because they store it as a separated string in a text field. if they get 21 chars+ it just crashes

what the gently caress guys

VARCHAR(20) is the default sql string type i believe

i've gotten a lecture about how they couldn't increase the character limit on a text column because of some arbitrary categorization scheme the dba had in their head and the field was in a category where it couldn't be larger even though stuff being sent to it was going over the character limit

• Locked thread