Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I actually played Startups last weekend and I really liked it. Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

AFAGTNY was a big hit when I played it with other adults and also when I played with my young nieces. And yes, as with all Oink games, you pay a premium for a pretty, portable box. My friend buys every single one that comes out because they look so cool lined up on his shelf, and you can keep one or two in your bag all the time in case you and a few friends happen to find yourselves with unexpected time on your hands. Even he admits that at least a third of them are duds in terms of gameplay.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I got the upgrade and new box since I had the game and expansion already.

Who's interested in PBP of High Treason! The Trial of Luis Riel? Two players wanted.

Sign me up

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

I mean, they're all very expensive when viewed as components, but it's small print runs in an inconvenient country.

I was worried I'd come across like that and I really didn't mean to. Designer had a great idea, and I have no doubts that his costs are high; I didn't mean to complain that that's the price. Just meant to say that my initial reaction, when I saw the parts and was told how much it cost, was incredulity. Then I played the game and it went away.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I didn't mean it as any condemnation, the prices can be eyebrow-rising.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I need the board games threads help to solve a dispute. My mother has a business where she makes kitschy signs based on ideas she steals from etsy. Normally I find all of these signs very cringe worthy and terrible (but people buy them by the truck load!). However today I was visiting and one of her creations caught my eye.

She made these over-sized Scrabble pieces that spell out "LOVE". I pointed out to mum that the letter "O" in Scrabble is worth 1 victory point, so her sign was incomplete. She insisted that it was not an "O" but a ♥ which does not have a point value. I rebutted that L♥VE would therefor not be a proper word, and can not be played by the rules of Scrabble. She called me an idiot! What say you board gaming goons? Should this ♥ have a little 1 next to it to indicate it's point value?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, AAR of my 4 days of boardgaming extravaganza:

Started the con by playing Codex, of all games. it was well received, but the only issue was that everyone said that it was a semi-lifestyle games that requires several games to actually get good at. Was praised for the replayability and the fact that it wasn't actually a CCG.

Startups: neat stock game which is all about appearing weak while you are secretly strong. Really did badly in my first game because I hadn't understood the strategy but I really got in the swing of it in my second game. I really like the decision space in this game: what to pick up, what to drop, the counterplay necessary, really neat stuff.

Crows Overkill The aim is to get rid of birds from your tableau so that you can spend more time asleep at a geisha's house. Apart from the bizarre theme, it was pure crap. You play cards from your hand to remove birds, move them or do other stuff. It's glorified munchkin with a weird theme, avoid.

Flamme Rouge A really neat bike racing game. Nowhere near the level of Leader 1, but it works pretty well as a lighter, easier to play game where you do a fair bit of hand management. Easy to pick up but has the core elements of bike racing in place.

Food Chain Magnate Played two games of this: I did alright in a 3P but didn't win, then decided that teaching FCM at 11:30 pm was a good idea, with teaching and the game ending at 2 am. It was 5P as well. I ended the game with no people left in my structure except waitresses and 30 dollars in cash. Whoops! FCM is still one of my favourite games of recent years and it really is unforgiving when people are playing aggressively.

Port Royal I think this has a degree of skill involved but loving up especially at the start is so punishing and the game gets easier if you get lucky. I just don't rate it. I wouldn't want to play it again.

Quartermaster General: 1914 A lot better than the original. I actually enjoyed playing this, making a wall with my french troops as we smacked down the germans. I liked that the decision space is opened up by the preparing of cards as something distinct from playing them, and the fact that you don't need statuses as much as you needed them in the original. Would play again!

Dungeon Petz Played with 2 other old hands and a newbie. Went with the expansion so the explanation was interminable but everyone had fun once we actually got in it. Really close game at the end between the three old hands. I really enjoy the game so much more with the expansion even though I still love the base game. Still my favourite WP game ever!

Through the ages: Managed two games of these and in both made mistakes that meant I was nowhere near victory by the end. One game I did feel I got shafted since Newton didn't come out early, but that's the point of the game: you have to adapt, not rely on certain strats that don't seem to work. Should have picked another leader!

Baseball Highlights 2045 Played in a tourney and made it to the quarter finals, only to be smacked down by the most bullshit defensive deck ever. Still, the game owns although I think the expansions dilute the game and make it worse, since the players don't seem to be as balanced later on.

Pictomania It was awesome but man I sucked in that game. We had one player that is really fast at guessing and man, he even managed to get some of my scratchings. Lots of laughter all around as people draw unholy monstrosities.

Pax Renaissance I didn't think I was going to like it as much as Pax Pamir but man was the game good. I was mostly in the west while my two opponents squabbled in the west, I took up the papal states and created the florentine republic while controlling Venice and sending pirates out everywhere, with the Spanish Tercios under my employ. Almost managed a Republic victory but unfortunately one of my opponents got the imperialist victory condition first. Would recommend (not reading the back of the rulebook).

Potato Man The more I play it, the more I'm amazed at how much depth there is to this relatively simple trick-taking game. If you find it in a shop and like trick-taking games, snap it up, it's a little gem. The fact that you have to always play off suits, but the suit you play is tied to how many points you get is pure genius.

Space Alert Holy poo poo I had some of the best games of Space Alert ever. We had 4 old hands on board so we decided to mix yellow and red threats together and a cavalcade of incompetence ensued: our internal officer accidently swapped his 'pick up bots' and 'use them against the enemy' cards in one game, then he went up to a ninja, prodded it with a stick and left (upon which the ninja poisoned two other crew members and then fired our missiles at our own ship). In the third game, I fired a pulse cannon at the wrong moment, draining energy needed for the main gun (whoops!) which meant that a mini-carrier that should have been destroyed, wasn't. Someone a miracle happened and we won our last game (I was the captain by then so I took all the glory). We couldn't stop laughing at the misfortunes of our bumbling crew. Amazing, truly amazing.

Millennium Blades Game of the con for me. The mixture of real time segments, wheeling and dealing and the fact that it feels awfully close to actually playing a CCG really made it a fun mind-bender for me. Couldn't believe how much I enjoyed myself playing this game. I was gambling on booster packs like the best Magic lifer.

Caylus Rounded up the game with a tight, competitive game of Caylus. Can't believe how well this game has withstood the test of time. Still a classic gem that a lot of games should take inspiration from.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rutibex posted:

She called me an idiot! What say you board gaming goons? Should this ♥ have a little 1 next to it to indicate it's point value?

Your mum's right, you're an idiot. It's clearly a wildcard tile (zero points, entirely blank) that's been doodled on with a permanent marker.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

al-azad posted:

Sign me up
Anyone else?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zark the Damned posted:

Your mum's right, you're an idiot. It's clearly a wildcard tile (zero points, entirely blank) that's been doodled on with a permanent marker.

Agreed.

Or the <3 is on the board as the center square.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bombadilillo posted:

Taught my 7 year old Dominion today after waiting a few years for her to get old enough.

Afterwards she told me she should have bought more gold and less actions I asked if she understood the game...
"It wasn't even complicated" :monocle: guess I should have broke it out earlier.

A little late on this, but this owns and she owns.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zark the Damned posted:

silvergoose posted:

Agreed.

Or the <3 is on the board as the center square.
:negative:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/530819/scrabble-valentines-day

I mean come on! :v:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Btw I'm totally down to spectate your proposed Louis Riel pbp, Tepoko :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Victory Point Games, why is there soot on their counters? At first I thought it was toner powder, which is fine they're basically printing from their basements, but the counters smell burnt so I'm thinking they laser cut their cardboard???

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Victory Point Games, why is there soot on their counters? At first I thought it was toner powder, which is fine they're basically printing from their basements, but the counters smell burnt so I'm thinking they laser cut their cardboard???

Got it in one.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Got it in one.

Well I don't know their costs but I feel like it would be cheaper to use a die cast like everyone else. They could even save money on napkins with their logo pressed on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rutibex posted:

What say you board gaming goons? Should this ♥ have a little 1 next to it to indicate it's point value?

No, since the value of love is beyond measure or love is pointless if you are a cynic.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just got a big box of games from a 7 game trade I made on BGG. I snagged 51st State, Castles of Burgundy, Thebes, Valley of the Kings, Star Trek Expeditions, Royals and Suvive. Also snagged a copy of Steampunk Rally from Barnes and Noble clearance section for $25. Lots of rules to read this weekend.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

al-azad posted:

Well I don't know their costs but I feel like it would be cheaper to use a die cast like everyone else. They could even save money on napkins with their logo pressed on it.

They didn't do laser cuts on Dawn of the Zeds Third Edition (except if you wanted for nostalgia's sake) and I think probably aren't on Nemo's War or Darkest Night either, so maybe it's on its way out.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I just got Mint Works and ended up playing multiple games against the solo cards all evening, only winning once. Very impressed by how much content and gameplay he squeezed into a portable filler game. Can't wait to play against other people. I can already see how important blocking actions will be.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Just saw the pre order for Mechs vs Minions wave 2. Is it really as good as everyone says?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a solid coop. Production values are insane, like best in the business good. Game is a solid 7 or so from my experience with the first few scenarios and others' reviews. A very impressive first board game from Riot, and an obvious project of love from the team that designed it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

screech on the beach posted:

Just saw the pre order for Mechs vs Minions wave 2. Is it really as good as everyone says?

If you have a steady group I would bite the bullet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Laser cutting counters has a lot of good reasons to do it, but the campfire smell is a turnoff for sure.

That would go away if you let it outgas before packaging it, and a sooty residue is also unwelcome for obvious reasons :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How is a campfire smell a turn-off?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

PMush Perfect posted:

:gooncamp:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Things that shouldn't smell like campfires smelling like campfires is at least off putting

And the campfire isn't a nice cedar campfire or anything, it's a burn pit in which painted lumber, glue, and OSB scraps and poo poo are getting tossed.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
So today playing Destiny at my FLGS, a buddy suggested "You should buy Star Wars Rebellion so we can play it on the 4th". Sooooo I did. What can I say, I'm easy.

Going to work on learning it tomorrow for play on Thursday for the 'holiday'. Any recommendations for first timers?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Merauder posted:

So today playing Destiny at my FLGS, a buddy suggested "You should buy Star Wars Rebellion so we can play it on the 4th". Sooooo I did. What can I say, I'm easy.

Going to work on learning it tomorrow for play on Thursday for the 'holiday'. Any recommendations for first timers?

Big exception to the rules that trips up newbies is that Rapid Mobilization doesn't resolve until end of round before you start cleaning up. If the Empire knows its coming they can spread out as much as possible to limit Rebel options.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

Anyone else?

I'll take the second slot. I saw it advertised on board game guru's email and it looked very intriguing, did you pick it up?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Turkey posted:

I'll take the second slot. I saw it advertised on board game guru's email and it looked very intriguing, did you pick it up?
Yup.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Board games are supposed to smell like a new car. If I don't get the "new boardgame smell" that whats the point of even buying games?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Help me, I can't stop playing Gloomhaven.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm really excited, having backed the second print run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Anyone going to the U.K. Game Expo? I'm seriously considering going.

Talking with friends about it tonight, so maybe. When were you likely to be there?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm really excited, having backed the second print run.

As am I after watching a vid. August can't come soon enough!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

Talking with friends about it tonight, so maybe. When were you likely to be there?

I will be there Friday and Saturday.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lorini posted:

I will be there Friday and Saturday.
I just bought tickets for the Saturday so might see you then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
PSA: PAX Unplugged tickets go on sale at 3PM EST today, and we have a PAX Unplugged thread here.