Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

The Fool posted:

This.

I've never done hospital work, but have supported a couple small clinics and private practices.

You're the help, you never get to talk to the doctor yourself, everything goes through reception/nurses.

I manage a small practice and for the most part the doctors have either really simple problems or problems caused by them using Macs in what should be a Windows environment. They are on their own with sorting out/troubleshooting/having someone fix a problem that I can't solve in 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Fil5000 posted:

Daiyve and Daiyv appear to also be ways that people have chosen to spell Dave as well. I'd just verify everything to be safe.

Sell Utah back to Mexico. Or just raze it all back to ash and salt.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Hey, I'm still alive. Still stuck at the only job that will pay me a livable wage.

Here's a thing.

Nothing is ever easy and my copy room has become the Wild West:

Halfway through the semester, the main copier that faculty uses finally went tits up. After the company we lease it through came out 6 times in a three week period to fix it, it was deemed officially dead. We only had a year left on the lease, so Ricoh bought out the remainder in exchange for us putting in a shiny new 9003. They carted out the dead machine and replaced it with the new one.

Except once they got there, they realized the outlet shape didn't match. The little diddle that was on the left prong on the old printer is on the right prong on the new printer. Electricians were called out, the outlet was changed over, the electricians left.

Then they discovered the circuit was underpowered to handle the copier. Electricians were called back out to rewire the loving room. Everything worked, and I asked the installer about migrating our users from the old machine to the new one.

Oh, you can't transfer users or codes from a Canon to a Ricoh. They could print me out a list but I'd have to recreate all 400 users by hand. Not terrible. I'll just whip up a .csv and import it.

Except the 9003 doesn't allow bulk user creation. They have to be created one at a time using the clunkiest, slowest UI I've ever experienced. Also, you can only create user codes while authentication is turned on; you can't frontload all the accounts and flip a switch. So that means that I'll have to prevent everyone from printing while these accounts are created. I tried setting up a temporary "everyone use this for the time being" account while the rest were being set up but it caused so much confusion and I spent so much loving time reexplaining the poo poo to faculty on top of all my other work that after a full day I had managed to create something like 20 accounts.

So I put off user codes until summer when no one would be using it. A lot of my time consuming or service interrupting projects just get put off till summer.

So, this copier has been in place for a few months now with no authentication and, therefore, no accountability. The number of copies being made has unsurprisingly tripled and our bill this month reflects that. Faculty is just printing and copying with abandon. We had a surplus of something like 15 pallets of paper reams at the start of the semester, and we usually end up with about 5 or 6 left by summer. We have had to reorder paper halfway through the semester for the first time in years.

I get to go into a meeting tomorrow and explain why our new copier is suddenly costing us three times as much as the old one.

Luckily, I can also announce that I have found a new company that is willing to buy out every contract we currently have and rebuild our entire printing ecosystem from the ground up, while also saving us around $5k a year. They're also planning to fix the shitshow that is our barely functioning print server to tie into our AD so I'll never have to create a user code again.

So, :shrug:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

You always have the best tales

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

Hey, I'm still alive. Still stuck at the only job that will pay me a livable wage.

Nothing is ever easy and my copy room has become the Wild West:

Either of these would make a loving fantastic thread title.

Edit: No offense but I'm surprised you actually have an AD at that shitshow. Good for you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AD managed by a single Windows Server 2000 Dell box in a closet somewhere connected by a single cat5 cable.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

AD managed by a single Windows Server 2000 Dell box in a closet somewhere connected by a single cat5 10-Base2 cable.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Either of these would make a loving fantastic thread title.

Edit: No offense but I'm surprised you actually have an AD at that shitshow. Good for you.

The politics and administration are garbage, and my user hardware is aging, but my infrastructure is top notch. I take a lot of pride in the backbone of my network. True a good bit of it is dated or unused but that comes with adopting a heavily neglected network with absolutely no documentation or procedures.

It's not like the tv station where that's how it is and it'll never get better. I absolutely have the means to get everything upgraded and synergized, but it's just taking time to get it all done. I recently revived a long dormant WUS and rebuilt our GPs, and I just secured a very generous donation from another school district to completely replace all of our 10+ year old 100mbps switches with gigabit switches. This next year I'm looking into moving us from analog phones to VOIP, which, by my calculations, will save us almost $20k a year.

As always, the users are idiots, and the management is borderline retarded, but it's actually light years beyond the station. It's fun saying "I wanna do this" and then having a vendor make it happen.

I'M ONLY LIMITED BY MY IMAGINATION.

And loving state budget cuts goddamn

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Did the director finally stop trying to alpha all over you?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RE: A ticket came in: my copy room has become the Wild West

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

SEKCobra posted:

I worked in a hospital, you get to talk to the doctors there, because even though they try to delegate as much as they can, they can't get away from it there.
I talk with doctors all the time. I also work in an organization that vigorously enforces response time expectations from users. If I have an SLA, so do you. If you can't be bothered to pick up the phone and talk with me for five minutes, I leave you two voicemails/emails and close the ticket.

It's fun when someone tries to escalate ("Why wasn't this fixed?") and I have a handy dandy paper trail ("We tried to get in touch with you for a week, Dr. Urgent Problem. No Response.").

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Whats the go to now for remote helping software? I need something that will be easy to setup on a machine and not have to mess with firewalls or anything.

I need to do sum remote work on a server but the person at the site isn't very tech savvy so i want something I can say click this link to download/install and give me a number so i can then connect and control the system.

I know there was issues with team viewer and last time I used join.me there was a bunch of stuff you had to do to get it to work right.

It would be ideal if this could stay installed and running for a few days or at minimum be easy for someone to run it and give me the connection id or whatever when I need to get in again.

VVVVVV-- Sorry forgot to mention that Free is going to be the key thing here.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 3, 2017

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Screenconnect is good and cheap, I don't think any firewall rules are necessary because the connection is opened from the inside of the target network.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Screenconnect is good and cheap, I don't think any firewall rules are necessary because the connection is opened from the inside of the target network.

Well, that depends on how locked down outgoing connections are.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Trastion posted:

Whats the go to now for remote helping software? I need something that will be easy to setup on a machine and not have to mess with firewalls or anything.

I need to do sum remote work on a server but the person at the site isn't very tech savvy so i want something I can say click this link to download/install and give me a number so i can then connect and control the system.

I know there was issues with team viewer and last time I used join.me there was a bunch of stuff you had to do to get it to work right.

It would be ideal if this could stay installed and running for a few days or at minimum be easy for someone to run it and give me the connection id or whatever when I need to get in again.

It kills me to say it, but I still have to allow Teamviewer on my network. It's the only service our HVAC people can manage to use, and being a museum, climate control is critically important, especially humidity control. It's the one system that has to run no matter what, and if there's a problem the vendor has to be able to access the system and fix it right the hell now or we risk losing assets.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Trastion posted:

screenconnect (which was rebranded again, for the 6th time in two years, as ConnectWise Control) is free for personal, non-business use. I believe teamviewer has the same restriction.

And to that affect, I don't think you'll find anything that provides a free business license. I guess you'll just have to do your client a personal favor when you're helping them out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AnyDesk works well too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PremiumSupport posted:

It kills me to say it, but I still have to allow Teamviewer on my network. It's the only service our HVAC people can manage to use, and being a museum, climate control is critically important, especially humidity control. It's the one system that has to run no matter what, and if there's a problem the vendor has to be able to access the system and fix it right the hell now or we risk losing assets.

At a previous job a client's HVAC service company made us open 3389 to the controller computer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Better than having your entire building management system that runs in Java on an XP box exposed to the world via port 80.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

screenconnect (which was rebranded again, for the 6th time in two years, as ConnectWise Control) is free for personal, non-business use. I believe teamviewer has the same restriction.

And to that affect, I don't think you'll find anything that provides a free business license. I guess you'll just have to do your client a personal favor when you're helping them out.

I went with teamviewer as it will be a semi-quick thing and can be uninstalled. And this isn't for a client, it is for personal use. Well to connect to a old server I installed in a friends house to control some security cameras.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Trastion posted:

I went with teamviewer as it will be a semi-quick thing and can be uninstalled. And this isn't for a client, it is for personal use. Well to connect to a old server I installed in a friends house to control some security cameras.

If no one involved is making money off it, it's covered under personal in pretty much any license.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Better than having your entire building management system that runs in Java on an XP box exposed to the world via port 80.

That what we had for our HVAC system up until a year ago.

XP Service Pack 2

Running Java 5

Port 80 exposed, easy to guess username & password

So yeah, Teamviewer is technically an upgrade :suicide:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
your friend has security cameras in his home and is giving you carte blanche remote access?

poo poo, if it was controlling security cameras in my house that thing would be locked down in an iron fortress of firewall and network rules.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
facilities guy was out of the office, a ticket "came in" because during our startup phase I served as backup facilities

I went over and closed the valves for the toilets + sinks just to prevent any further encroachment of shitwater into areas that are not supposed to have shitwater in them...

he sent this out this morning to dept heads, I guess after plumbers finally showed up

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

PremiumSupport posted:

Port 80 exposed, easy to guess username & password
Good ol' admin:admin?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

drukqs posted:

facilities guy was out of the office, a ticket "came in" because during our startup phase I served as backup facilities

I went over and closed the valves for the toilets + sinks just to prevent any further encroachment of shitwater into areas that are not supposed to have shitwater in them...

he sent this out this morning to dept heads, I guess after plumbers finally showed up

Instructions on "flushing DNS" unclear ; shitter's clogged.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

I need to do sum remote work
Why do you need to do sums remotely? Your PC should have Excel, or at least a calculator :downsrim:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Good ol' admin:adminhunter12?

FTFY.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
******** isn't a valid password, silly.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

It's just showing up as ******** for me

edit: :eng99:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

******** isn't a valid password, silly.

Somewhere out there you know there is a critical piece of infrastructure with that as its admin password.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zil posted:

Somewhere out there you know there is a critical piece of infrastructure with that as its admin password.

Don't they all?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Our security cameras had that as default.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GreenNight posted:

Our security cameras had that as default.

I changed all of ours to CorrectHorseBatteryStaple like any good sysadmin should.

Gealar
May 2, 2013
Day after required security training:

http://digg.com/2017/google-docs-phishing-gmail

1 day. People opened it and off we go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We saw the same thing here.

Another link: http://windowsitpro.com/security/sophisticated-google-docs-phishing-scam-goes-viral

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The thing that someone else pointed out, that Google apparently approved a Gapps hook for something named "Google Docs" without a second thought.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kurieg posted:

The thing that someone else pointed out, that Google apparently approved a Gapps hook for something named "Google Docs" without a second thought.

C'mon Google, you're better than this.

Count me in as someone dealing with the fallout of this phishing scam. What a mess.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yup we just got one of those phishing scams forwarded to the helpdesk.

Luckily we don't use google docs so it's not going to affect us business-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gealar posted:

Day after required security training:

http://digg.com/2017/google-docs-phishing-gmail

1 day. People opened it and off we go.
I'd really like to know what security training would've identified these emails or these oauth requests as malicious.

• Locked thread