Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Back at the beginning of the game, I wondered out loud about censorship, and why one outfit was censored but not the other. The Spell Fencer outfits for the ladies are one of the things that make me wonder why they censored "the other thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Okay! Just rewrote the Spell Fencer Job clothing segment. I rushed through it yesterday and the description wasn't as thorough as it should've been, especially concerning belly dancing's part.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Back at the beginning of the game, I wondered out loud about censorship, and why one outfit was censored but not the other. The Spell Fencer outfits for the ladies are one of the things that make me wonder why they censored "the other thing."

See-through harem pants and tassels must make all the difference. It would be interesting to see the specifics for how they censor. I'd imagine they do have a set list of rules lying somewhere around the office.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Speaking of censorship, will you be showing the uncensored outfits where relevant? I think one of the late-game jobs got censored in regards to the female characters.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of censorship, will you be showing the uncensored outfits where relevant? I think one of the late-game jobs got censored in regards to the female characters.

Nope. At best it'd be irrelevant to my focus, which is the game's story. At worst it'd be opening a creepy can of worms all over the thread.

I'm staying out of the censorship debate and request others either keep the subject casual, respectful and relevant or not touch it at all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's fine. Just curious.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

If you absolutely must know, I'm sure there's an angry nerd on YouTube who'd be happy to relate his profanity-laced screed on the topic. :v:

This thread actually got me to dig out my old copy of Bravely Default to play along with the LP. Turns out it doesn't take long to catch up when you crank the battle speed all the way up, and turn off encounters whenever you get bored. Who knew? Changing jobs only when you get a new one--and only for one character--actually provides a measure of challenge even when you know the game inside out. I probably could have planned it better, but magic doesn't hold a candle to physical builds for most of the game, so I didn't mind having to basically drop entire skillsets. (A bow-wielding thief is really, really good for chapter 2 and a good chunk of chapter 3 as well.)

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Greyarc posted:

I'm staying out of the censorship debate and request others either keep the subject casual, respectful and relevant or not touch it at all.

I hope I'm managing to keep it respectful. All the censorship in games fascinates me, from the outfits in Bravely Default to the "loqua" that the pirates drink in Skies of Arcadia: Legends. I feel like it gives an interesting insight into the culture of wherever the games are being censored for.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think one of the late-game jobs got censored in regards to the female characters.

It was. A very FFX belt-y looking job (think Lulu,) but a lot of the belts were missing in the original.

Rangpur posted:

If you absolutely must know, I'm sure there's an angry nerd on YouTube who'd be happy to relate his profanity-laced screed on the topic. :v:

Interestingly, everything I read on it was about as respectful as you can get while dealing with :japan: and the various reasons why censorship was deemed necessary in the first place. Not that I doubt that there are a few sewage pools of discussions out there...

Rangpur posted:

This thread actually got me to dig out my old copy of Bravely Default to play along with the LP. Turns out it doesn't take long to catch up when you crank the battle speed all the way up, and turn off encounters whenever you get bored. Who knew? Changing jobs only when you get a new one--and only for one character--actually provides a measure of challenge even when you know the game inside out. I probably could have planned it better, but magic doesn't hold a candle to physical builds for most of the game, so I didn't mind having to basically drop entire skillsets. (A bow-wielding thief is really, really good for chapter 2 and a good chunk of chapter 3 as well.)

I did the same, although I kept pretty much everything (i.e. maxed.) I tend to play for the story though, so steamrolling bosses and avoiding encounters doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the game.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 32: A Scene Worthy of Florence Foster Jenkins

Here's what you've all been waiting for:

Norende. The town's been progressing steadily and the item shop's finally ready for its final upgrade. The final prize there is something a bit special, which will be shown off much later.

In the meantime, let's talk about turtles.

More accurately, this fellow. It foolishly decided to block the party's path to Yulyana. Like all fantasy tortoises/turtles, it has crazy high physical defense.

Its major weakness is water/ice, so no problem. Take a mage or two, use Blizzard...

And get the spell thrown back in your face. The boss almost constantly keeps up Reflection Angle, its own version of the Reflect spell. As in other Final Fantasy games, with reflect, any magic cast on the user will be redirected elsewhere/to the caster.

The solution is Sword Magic. A sword magic infused attack counts as physical rather than magical. Blizzara sword magic makes Tiz the champion this battle.

Tortoise friend also has a heavy-hitting multi-target attack, keeping subpar merchant healer Ringabel busy.

This is a quick filler fight, without so much as a cutscene afterwards.

There may be a translation error here. Though called Land Turtle in the data entry, the cutscene kicking off the battle is called Terratoise.

Not sure why a giant tortoise was carrying this. Or is it a section of the tortoise's shell the party carved off? Or... whatever, it makes sense gameplay-wise.

Here's what Agnès stole. Must've gotten stuck in the tortoise's side by some unlucky traveler. Come to think, how does the sage go through here every time he visits Florem? Tough little guy...

Last map for Mount Fragmentium.

The cave exit is a short walk west of the Needleworks. Let's go say hello.

First, allow me to thank you again for your earlier aid.

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] It allowed us to successfully awaken the Crystal of Wind.

I... I see. Yes, well. Glad to hear I didn't work through the night in vain. Now, what brings you to me this time?

The party explains their situation, every ridiculous detail.

Master, the unparalleled glamor of your creations is the surest key to Agnès's victory!

Honestly, of all the reasons to bring you out here...

When even Sage Yulyana is baffled by your commitment to sexy clothes, you might have an issue.

Very well! Any one piece from my collection of a thousand dresses strong is yours to take!

Edea takes a look around.

Help yourself. Use anything you like.

I feel like you two are starting to spiral out of hand. Remember why we're doing this...

Let us defer to them this once. They are more knowledgeable in such things than I.

Considering Ringabel's enthusiasm, it's going to be a very, very good thing Edea and Tiz are here to moderate the situation.

A short while later, we rejoin the group, though Edea and Agnès aren't visible:

Ringabel takes the dress from the sage and hands it off to Agnès and Edea, who are out of sight in the dressing room above where the sage is standing.

There's a pause with a noise of clothing shuffling around.

I've never worn anything quite so... extravagant.

Veto. It's all wrong. Too showy! The outfit drowns her out. The idea is to draw out her natural beauty, not hide it.

You're a stern critic, my dear.

Master, I fear this outfit lacks conviction. It's lukewarm. Have you anything...hotter?

You're a brave man, Ringabel. Perhaps too brave.

The sage goes to his workshop room and brings something back out.

So extreme was it that every girl to try it on instantly and irrevocably hated me without exception!

Uh

He shows it off to Ringabel.

Edea exits the dressing room and comes to look.

Tiz wanders forward to look.

Avert your gaze, Tiz! You aren't ready! It's too much temptation!

Uh...

But if you did wear it... Your victory would be assured! Such is its terrible power!

How did we end up in this situation, again?

Um... Are you, uh... Sir, are you certain this is clothing?

It's clothing! All I say is clothing becomes clothing!

Yes, but it's... The fabric... There isn't any... Are you certain!?

So welcome to the most dissonant scene in the game. There's cheery fun music playing, Ringabel and the Sage are feverishly over the top, but Agnès sounds like she's on the brink of crying.

You spoke of the strength of your determination, vestal. Now, to action!

I did, but that was... This isn't... If I wore this, I... I'd... I'd catch my death of cold!

I'll also mention that my journal states, "Agnès worse sexy clothes. It was awesome."

Agnès, he's lying. I saw his book earlier and it said nothing of the sort.

Ahem. A word of advice? Don't choose the clothes, child. Let the clothes choose you!

Going by her voice, Agnès has clearly started crying. Game's still playing cheery fun music. Someone being pressured into sex-related stuff they're not comfortable with! Ha ha...

Alright, you two. That's enough. The poor girl's near her breaking point.

But what of victory? Don't you want to win?

No! I've said as much from the very beginning...

You've no desire to claim the title of most beautiful for your own!?

Vestal is the only title I require.

If you don't want to wear it, don't wear it.

...There isn't? Then I don't... This is...unacceptable.

They've become a single horny hivemind.

And you, Tiz! You're a teenaged boy! Have you no blood in your veins!?

I feel fine?

...Here lie my dreams, broken.

Hmm. Sex appeal is tricky.

We skip forward in time to evening.

Empty-handed, for all our troubles.

I blame myself for underestimating the beast that is sex appeal.

And why try to tart you up or present you as someone you're not? I say show them you, as you are. I imagine Olivia is a lot more likely to recognize you that way, too.

What if you... I don't know, why don't you wear the vestal garb?

From the rite...

But who around here knows about the vestal garb? Us four, the sage, Olivia...that's it.

Plus, I think that dress looks very pretty on you, Agnès. Er, I mean...

Me, as I am... As the Vestal of Wind.

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Thank you, Tiz. You are precisely right.

I shall wear the vestal garb for the festival.

I think that's the right choice.

Well, look at you, Tiz! You little charmer!

The vestal garb is no less a masterpiece of mine than any other. It ought serve you well enough.

With the matter settled, the party rests for the night at the Needleworks.

They set out for the festival the next morning. As the party makes their way through Mount Fragmentium, our perspective shifts to what's going on in Florem...

You. Woman.

Oh, my! Now, whatever is a little girl like you doing out all by herself at this hour?

I hear you're thought to be the likely winner of the upcoming Sacred Flower Festival.

I am! Aren't I pretty? Now, if you want to grow up to be pretty like me, you need your beauty sleep!

Ha. Idiotic plebe.

Now, that's not very...

Like plucking a flower. And flowers so beg to be plucked... The ease of it all is a terrible bore. Don't you agree, Victor?

Hm hmm, let us hope these vestals to the crystals are more entertaining.

By my data, the likely runner-up ought to be strolling past soon. Shall we say hello, Victoria?

Looks like some of our Eternian friends have come to add their own brand of flair to the festival. Forget winning -- will the party survive?

Next: Agnès's charisma score is put to the test.

Title reference: Florence Foster Jenkins - "Adele's Laughing Song" Die Fledermaus

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Yulyana Once More
The Legendary Bravo Bikini
A Dream Dashed
You, As You Are
The Witch's Machinations

D's Journal: Ringabel posted:

pg.7: I can't believe it! The sage and I were on the verge of convincing her, but our plan was ruined by that spoilsport from Norende! To think we could have seen Agnès's sensuous form wrapped in the bravo bikini at the Sacred Flower Festival... You and that naive smile of yours don't know what you're missing!

D's Journal: Agnès Oblige posted:

pg.8: The Sacred Flower Festival was about to begin, when the bravo bikini plan the sage and I concocted was ruined by that stick-in-the-mud Tiz. "Show them you, as you are" he says... "Why don't you wear the vestal garb?" he says... Though his words brought a smile to Agnès's face that cast her in a beautiful light, the outcome was most frustrating!

D's Journal: Sage Yulyana posted:

pg.3: Agnès decided to take part in the Sacred Flower Festival. While researching the best apparel to wear, we heard word of a perverted old merchant, which we soon realized referred to Sage Yulyana. The sage had a costume that would assure her victory, but Tiz poured cold water on the idea, much to the chagrin of the sage and me.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 4, 2017

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Yet again, these jokers are just killing people as they make an entrance.

Also, holder of the Sith Lord asterisk (was that choking someone to death?)

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 4, 2017

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Greyarc posted:

Here's what Agnès stole. Must've gotten stuck in the tortoise's side by some unlucky traveler. Come to think, how does the sage go through here every time he visits Florem? Tough little guy...

It's not surprising Sage Yulyana can brave these caves. He travels alone, which means he gets quadruple XP from every fight, and has been doing it so long he probably permanently has the "kill everything in one turn unscathed" bonuses. He'll level up just fine in his regular trips back and forth to Florem.

Anyway, just a reminder that Victor and Victoria aren't just Eternians, they are one third of the Council of Six that rule Eternia (and de facto half of the council, given the two permanently empty seats).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The funniest part of this whole scene is imagining Yulyana actually keeping the Bravo Bikini behind some kind of mystical seal.

Shame about the rest.

Also, there's a new song that plays with Victoria's arrival, but part of the track doesn't play until Chapter 3. I would if I should wait to link it. It's only a few seconds, but eh.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Patter Song posted:

It's not surprising Sage Yulyana can brave these caves. He travels alone, which means he gets quadruple XP from every fight, and has been doing it so long he probably permanently has the "kill everything in one turn unscathed" bonuses. He'll level up just fine in his regular trips back and forth to Florem.

Also as a Sage he has access to unquestionably good spells, like Full Life, Bio, Giga Flare...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Given how integrated into the world the jobs system is in this game (far more so than, say, FFV), it'd be interesting to know how ordinary people with ordinary jobs react to the job system.

"After many years, I have finally achieved my goal of becoming a Merchant! I can finally set up my own shop and...I...suddenly know how to spend money to do massive, probably lethal damage to people?"

"Not getting enough work done during working hours? Don't worry, Jane from HR has become a Time Mage so she can cast Haste on you to speed you up on the job. She can also...summon earthquakes and comets...um...I want to transfer divisions."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That's actually covered to some degree, later on.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
So they didn't actually take anything from the sage. That entire dungeon was pointless? Did they really make you run a dungeon just for some grosso creepo joke?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yep. It was entirely pointless. :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

So they didn't actually take anything from the sage. That entire dungeon was pointless? Did they really make you run a dungeon just for some grosso creepo joke?

whoa, I've played this game twice through and I never realised that until now. huh, how about that

edit: about the joke part, sometimes I think I am just accepting of questionable stuff in jrpgs

Aces High fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 4, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

It's not, but why ventures into spoiler territory.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Did you miss a side quest? With everyone praising the voice acting of the game figured I would watch the voiced sections online when ever they came up in the lp. In the up loaded videos there appears to about 25 minutes worth of a side quest between the last two updates you did. Or is this just another case of the Event Viewer viewer being wonky again?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There are two sidequests available at this time that you can do before going to Mt. Fragmentum if you so choose.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

But if I recall correctly, those two sidequests will kick your rear end hard if you do them immediately.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Patter Song posted:

Anyway, just a reminder that Victor and Victoria aren't just Eternians, they are one third of the Council of Six that rule Eternia (and de facto half of the council, given the two permanently empty seats).
They're not "empty", per se; there are people in those seats, but they don't show up very often.

Patter Song posted:

Given how integrated into the world the jobs system is in this game (far more so than, say, FFV), it'd be interesting to know how ordinary people with ordinary jobs react to the job system.

"After many years, I have finally achieved my goal of becoming a Merchant! I can finally set up my own shop and...I...suddenly know how to spend money to do massive, probably lethal damage to people?"

"Not getting enough work done during working hours? Don't worry, Jane from HR has become a Time Mage so she can cast Haste on you to speed you up on the job. She can also...summon earthquakes and comets...um...I want to transfer divisions."
To be fair, it could be assumed that the asterisks, or at least the ones the party gets, are all of jobs that are conducive to murderizing things. Yes, even the Merchant is more of an arms merchant or dealer of death than a captain of commerce. It could be assumed that ordinary merchants don't really know how to fling money with enough force to break the skin or force snakes to buy recovery items from the very same people who made them need it. They may not even have the actual Merchant job as the game defines it. Also, considering that Haste messes with your personal time relative to the world, spending a lot of time under the effects of that spell could have nasty side effects, like growing old at an accelerated rate. In 1st and 2nd Edition D&D, for example, every casting of Haste aged every target of the spell five years, IIRC.

Really, I'm just glad that we don't have the old man whose life's dream is to find the Bunny Girl asterisk, as is the running joke in the Dragon Quest games with job systems.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, Florem. Quite possibly the most outrageously hosed up chapter in the game, for all sorts of reasons. Although "Agnes wore sexy clothes, and it was awesome" is pretty funny, both for the delivery and Tiz's reaction. Poor boy's so panicked at the idea it doesn't even cross his mind it was obvious bullshit to everyone. It's sort of sweet. Pity hearing Agnes so close to tears rather deflates the humor. Makes me wonder how if it was intentional--flustered Agnes and verge-of-tears Agnes sounds kinda similar. Now if I recall correctly, I did the side quest in the orochi forest before Mt. Fragmentum but that one's short, and not hard to work around if you know what to expect. You can do sidequests blind OR underleveled, but both at once is nearly always a bad idea.

Alavaria posted:

Also, holder of the Sith Lord asterisk (was that choking someone to death?)
Once you see Victoria's gimmick in action, that scene actually makes sense.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...wait, do any of these mass murderers even know what we look like?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Glazius posted:

Presumably they know what Edea looks like at the very least, being the marshal's daughter and all.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dark Knight Alternis Dim has met the party and presumably told people what we look like.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Agnes is one of the 4 vestals of Crystalism so I should hope a movement devoted to stopping Crystalism would at least know what one of their biggest targets looks like.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

The Sky Knights all recognized​ Agnes, so I would assume so.

Also, what everyone else said.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theyd also be looking for the water vestal

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But they are? We saw Einheria chasing after her a few updates ago.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 33: A Bloody Beauty Contest

So the party did.

And you've really decided not to go with this sexy swimsuit?

Tiz turns to Edea.

Wait, you still have that?

I'm quite certain, thank you. I'll wear the vestal garb, as Tiz suggested.

This is your last chance to rethink it. Agnès, I still think the world deserves to see the bravo--

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Unacceptable.

No one who matters is sad, Ringabel.

But don't be scared. We'll be close by, keeping watch.

Edea nods.

Good! Now, relax and go get 'em!

All we need to do now is head to the second Florem area.

And no, we're not allowed get cold feet and exit town.

The shops are closed, but there are more people out for the event.

Including the shopkeepers! This is the lady who runs the equipment shop.

And this is the item shop owner.

The party continues to the Festival. After Agnès is registered and goes off to prepare, the other three shove their way to the front of the stage's crowd:

They missed the first few contestants, but I'm sure no one important was up there.

The crowd is going wild.

:woop: :neckbeard: Wooo! Yaaa! :woop: :pervert:

It's like the speech at Ancheim all over again. I nearly forgot to breathe.

She'll do fine. And we're here, just in case.

Stage fright isn't the only thing worrying me.

So why is Agnès's entry number nine?

Where are the other three, you mean? Maybe they panicked at the last minute?

Hmm, I suppose it's possible...

Just so you know, the announcer's voice actor perfectly captures someone saying a name he isn't sure how to pronounce (It's Ahn-nyes).

Ah! Here she comes!

Agnès?

Agnès!

Agnès! You're on! Go!

Huh!?

Oh! Right! Sorry!

Agnès steps across the stage.

Boos start mixing in with the cheering.

She's clearly delusional. I almost feel bad.

...Almost! Ha ha ha!

I didn't come all the way here for this! Boo! Boooo!

:(

The crowd is now nothing but loud booing.

At this, the crowd, all roused up by the festivities and sexy contestants, deigns to go silent. It's the most unrealistic moment of the game.

In hopes that this may reach you. Though great distance has come between us, I consider you my friend, now as in childhood.

You were a source of joy. A target of aspiration.

Just to see your smile and hear you speak filled my days with warmth. Yet now, I do not even know where you are...

The smile you wore as a girl is still so fresh in my mind. And yet... I feel my breast will be torn asunder from worry.

To be truthful, I am terrified without you, even now, as a grown woman. I force myself onward, but any confidence I show is hollow deception.

Every pause, every quiet moment, I feel ready to fall to my knees and wail as I did back then...

I cannot imagine completing my task without you there. Without your aid. For so long I'd swallowed back these doubts. Tried to be strong...

But I fear old habits are not soon broken... ......I will wait for you. So, please...if you are watching, tell me. Let me know you are there.

I will reach out my hand to you.

On that note, with the crowd either stunned into silence or asleep/passed out, the festival ends.

We rejoin the party some time later.

Can't be helped. Hers was an appeal wholly out of keeping with the contest's theme.

Perhaps I ought to have worn the bikini after all...

Or you could have worn a giant duck costume. The goal was to get attention, not win. Which she did succeed at, in her own way.

You were just fine. You said what you came to say. The idea was never to win the contest. If Olivia heard that, I'm certain your words will move her.

I hope so...

A bird flutters by overhead, dropping an item near Agnès.

Hm? I wonder what... A letter?

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Ah! Olivia! She wrote me a letter!

See? You got through to her just fine! So, what does it say?

"I heard about your appearance at the festival, though I was not able to attend. It puts my heart to ease knowing that you have also weathered this terrible crisis."

"I wish to meet with you as well, Agnès, my one true friend. But I fear I am not free to move about."

"Behind the ruins to the west lies the hidden village of the Crystal Orthodoxy. You will find me there. Do not allow this letter to be seen by any eyes but yours. Not even the matriarch can know."

They must be after her, too, then. As we feared.

Let us go. Straight away! West, to the ruins, and the hidden village beyond!

The party nods and walks off. But we, the audience, turn another way, to a pair hidden nearby.

Most clearly, Victoria.

Then we've little need for the wind vestal to continue living, hmm?

Indeed. Though, if I may... It seems they make for the vestal of water's side.

Yes, and?

:stare: Japan, no.

It seems Victoria killing off beauty contestants wasn't part of any plan, but just for kicks. In case it wasn't drilled in how evil the Eternians are.

Wouldn't you say, Victor?

Just so, Victoria. Just so.

Don't worry, things'll get worse.

Now that the festival's over, the townsfolk have new things to talk about.

The festival's over for a whole year...It feels like forever.

We are filthy casuals.

Nothing makes a girl look cute like the right hairpin. I'm never taking mine off!

Boy, these people sure are obsessive about their stuff.

This guy's a gem.

A common aesthetic miscalculation.

I wish people would keep telling me I'm cute...

Those last two are the saddest people in Florem. They should leave town and go on adventures together, a lady and kid team. Along the way they'd find adventure, action, and self-worth. If nothing else, the fresh air would do them some good.

Speaking of fresh air, Norende.

Ooh, presents!? Yaaay!

Ah, yes. Gifts are strategically important.

So, which businesses are they? What do we build?

The item shop, the combat item shop, and the compound shop.

I see!

And when will we get these presents?

I expect they'll send them to us at regular intervals.

Hee, I can't wait! What do you think we'll get?

I imagine it'll be merchandise that each respective store stocks.

When giving a gift to a lady, careful selection is key. My personal advice is to choose an article she'll wear every day.

That way, she'll be forced to think of you around the clock.

Where'd everyone go?

At least one person in the thread said Ringabel's antics were getting tired. By this point, Edea, Tiz, and Agnès agree.

Speaking of Norende, new equipment from their shops:

Here, Tiz.

Obligatory weapon that looks like a cartoon cat's paw.

With that, we're ready to move on.

Victoria and Victor are going to be following Agnès and crew for quite some time, however, because...

Next: We're turning our attention to the side quests.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
The Festival Begins
Entrant No. 9
Beneath A Broad Blue Sky
I Am Here

Party Chat:
A Gift From Norende

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 6, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I know that guy is there to see sexy outfits, but you'd think someone from Ancheim would be more appreciative of the Wind Vestal who returned the wind.

I'm also curious how Victoria won the contest without Edea being aware. Did they not stick around for the post contest ceremony despite knowing Agnes got no votes? Did she not recognize a member of the Council of Six? Maybe Victoria had on a different outfit. :iiam:

Also, the "sexiest woman in Florem" looks like a toddler. "Japan, no. :stare:" indeed.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 6, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know that guy is there to see sexy outfits, but you'd think someone from Ancheim would be more appreciative of the Wind Vestal who returned the wind.

I'm also curious how Victoria won the contest without Edea being aware. Did they not stick around for the post contest ceremony despite knowing Agnes got no votes? Did she not recognize a member of the Council of Six? Maybe Victoria had on a different outfit. :iiam:

Also, the "sexiest woman in Florem" looks like a toddler. "Japan, no. :stare:" indeed.

There's the implication that Victoria killed whoever took the crown and uh... Took the crown. That's kind of what I'm going with at the moment.

Alternatively, everyone knows she's the reason the contest is down 2 gals and once she showed up the judges were like 'oh no give her all the votes give her all the votes!'

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Please tell me battle nun is in the game

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Alternatively, everyone knows she's the reason the contest is down 2 gals and once she showed up the judges were like 'oh no give her all the votes give her all the votes!'

Good reason to vote for her.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Please tell me battle nun is in the game

They were in the very first cutscene.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Patter Song posted:

Dark Knight Alternis Dim has met the party and presumably told people what we look like.

Ringabel was conveniently elsewhere on the flimsiest of justifications when Alternis came by, so they didn't necessarily know he's with them. Incidentally, that also means Alternis would have recognized Ringabel (or he wouldn't haven been written out of that scene). But Victor/Victoria didn't react at all to seeing Ringabel, so they don't recognize him.

So, the journal is D's journal, and it's clearly written by a Dark Knight who knows and is sweet on Edea. It also somehow tells the future? Yeah, I dunno. I feel like there's got to be a time travel/parallel worlds/etc for all of this to make any sense? The "prophecy" in the journal has diverged quite a bit from what actually happened in the game; the author is already not traveling with the party at this point.

So:

1. Ringabel is Alternis, who had a change of heart, and traveled back in time somehow? We have time mages, so I guess that's doable. Victor/Victoria have never seen him out of his armor. Why isn't he in his armor now? Uh... the game uses Terminator time travel rules, so he couldn't bring his weapon or armor with him, but the journal is leather and vellum so it survived the trip.

2. Alternis somehow sent just his journal back in time, where it ended up in the hands of some lovely, lovely amnesiac pervert, and neither of which is actually aware of what's going on. Alternis wouldn't have recognized Ringabel, but it's hard to hide a book.

3. Ringabel got drunk one night and traded his Dark Knight asterisk to some dude Alternis, the former holder of the Oracle asterisk, for his magic future-telling journal.

4. Ringabel and Alternis are twins. After their home town was invaded, Ringabel escaped to join the Crystal Orthodoxy Resistance, but Alternis fled with his mom to badguyville, changed his name, and eventually rose up the ranks to get the Dark Knight asterisk and run things. Victor/Victoria still haven't seen Alternis out of his armor, which will be convenient when he takes it off to frame Ringabel for regicide.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

...isn't the bigger problem that the Grand Marshal's daughter who grew up with this dark knight, who this dark knight is sweet on, doesn't recognize Ringabel? I mean, she doesn't comment on his looks at all.

Maybe Alternis waited for Ringabel to leave before springing his trap. You know, three vs one with Edea hostage sounds bad, but he figured the vestal couldn't fight, so he waited for one guy to leave, stopped the other, to 'rescue' Edea.

Maybe Ringabel stole this journal from somebody, who then blasted him in retaliation which gave him amnesia. Or something.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 6, 2017

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
Everyone knows fantasy Dark Knights don't remove their armor the moment they put it on for life.

Cecil needed his magical alien dad to pry that poo poo off after some soul searching.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Mundetiam posted:

Everyone knows fantasy Dark Knights don't remove their armor the moment they put it on for life.

Cecil needed his magical alien dad to pry that poo poo off after some soul searching.

In other words, Alternis face is a helmet. Sad, but true. Must make eating super hard, maybe that's why he's so dramatic. "Edea betrayed us!"

Well, all the guys on your side are on Edea's pitch black list, and they don't ever bother redeeming themselves. Who put them in charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mundetiam posted:

Cecil's armor was literally bolted on; it's not that they won't remove their armor, is that they can't.

Edea can be explained away neatly. She might have noticed the uncanny resemblance, but Ringabel was being Ringabel from the instant the party rescued her. There was no time for Edea to speak up before overwhelming evidence made her file the resemblance under funny coincidence, because seriously R can't have a more different personality from Alternis.

Incidentally, in a game where two party members are called "this warrior" and "idealist" I feel fairly safe saying that the guy called "alternate" is somebody's alternate.
We're just missing temple Themp'ul or a rebel called Datz Are'bal and we might as well be in the jRPG version of Ace Attorney.