Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Anyone have any experience or advice on high mileage first gen Cayennes? They are getting absurdly cheap. Such as this one:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6105300048.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Paging motronic

blk
Dec 19, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Anyone have any experience or advice on high mileage first gen Cayennes? They are getting absurdly cheap. Such as this one:

Coolant pipes, cardan shaft

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Here's yet another 944. Seems incredibly nice for the price https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6109048312.html

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Loving that interior combo

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jymmybob posted:

Here's yet another 944. Seems incredibly nice for the price https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6109048312.html

Oh man... why are all the nice cheap ones in Cleveland. It's tempting to drive four hours to get that.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

willroc7 posted:

If the maintenance has been done and the car taken care of it will last. My mother in law constantly had oil warnings from refusing to top the oil up and treated hers like poo poo and it lasted until 178k until blowing a hole in a piston from sheer abuse.

The V8 is stout in the S.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, in my slow on-and-off again hunt for a nice cheap 944, I'm finding a lot of pre-1985.5 ones. I always wanted one with the later dash, but now I'm not so sure because I've read the older ones have a cheaper and simpler suspension setup.

What all changed for the 1985 facelift? Which one should I look for?

edit: seeing a lot of information here talking about steering wheel height, steel vs aluminum suspension parts, manual steering, forged connecting rods, poor HVAC performance... Lot of differences it would seem.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 2, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I like the older interior more. The new oval dash binnacle feels out of place with the overall period styling of the car.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't worry about which version and just get the best car for the money because there aren't important differences until you get the higher models. Alternatively consider this: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/6113946542.html

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

I wouldn't worry about which version and just get the best car for the money because there aren't important differences until you get the higher models. Alternatively consider this: https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/6113946542.html

Ooooh, can you go scout that car out?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Ooooh, can you go scout that car out?

Should be able to, especially if he'd meet me halfway in Akron or something because it's about an hour from work and 45 minutes from home. Let me know if you talk to the guy and get the good feels for it.

edit: willroc7 might also be willing if I can't for whatever reason

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 2, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I already forwarded that link to my wife before reading the thread. I'll go :getin:. I've also been thinking of looking at that green boxster in Medina.

edit: just to be clear I don't know poo poo about poo poo, especially when it comes to engine swaps and/or 944's

edit again: this one https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/6099188384.html

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 2, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I already forwarded that link to my wife before reading the thread. I'll go :getin:. I've also been thinking of looking at that green boxster in Medina.

If you do check out that boxster and want to run a DME scan I can hook you up with my durametric.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

Should be able to, especially if he'd meet me halfway in Akron or something because it's about an hour from work and 45 minutes from home. Let me know if you talk to the guy and get the good feels for it.

edit: willroc7 might also be willing if I can't for whatever reason

I'll PP either of you some cash for your troubles. I'd like to see all the electrics dealt with nicely. Since it's a pre-OBD car, I don't need the ECU or emissions to pass inspection.
I'll try to contact him. Doesn't sound like the internet savviest seller.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

I'll PP either of you some cash for your troubles. I'd like to see all the electrics dealt with nicely. Since it's a pre-OBD car, I don't need the ECU or emissions to pass inspection.
I'll try to contact him. Doesn't sound like the internet savviest seller.

I was bored at work and did some stalking. He seems like a nice enough guy who had the means and know how to do something like that correctly. There's a post in a local racing facebook group with more details but it's only available to members but the little I could see sounded positive.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It's only a half hour from me but like I said, I wouldn't know what to look for besides the basics.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
That's crazy, I wonder how the engine swap affects the handling due to the weight change.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

willie_dee posted:

That's crazy, I wonder how the engine swap affects the handling due to the weight change.

It wouldn't, they weigh basically the same.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BlackMK4 posted:

It wouldn't, they weigh basically the same.

This LS swap everything forever. The speedos, AC and instruments are always messed up on these it seems though. And overheating.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Anyone have thoughts on this? From what I've read the maintenance on these is pretty pricey but this one seems pretty well kept. Would I regret buying this?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

willroc7 posted:

Anyone have thoughts on this? From what I've read the maintenance on these is pretty pricey but this one seems pretty well kept. Would I regret buying this?

When was the bearing replaced? 100k miles ago? It seems like you can get 70k mile examples for that price. The early ones seem to run forever though. It is nicely optioned. I think people say get one with a hard top. Same as Miata advice. It will probably need coil packs etc.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

The key thing is the IMS because depending on the kit it might be due for replacement again. Also ask for service records so you'll have an idea of if it was a problem car but with that mileage it's probably ok and there's no reason it can't go 200k+ without a major repair. I'd probably try to get it for $7000 because you can grab a decent S for under $10000 if you hunt around a bit but if service and IMS are current and it's as nice as it looks then you really can't go wrong at $7000.

edit: I figured out his address so if you wanted me to check it out, it's like a minute off my commute. I'm going to drive past today :ninja:

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 3, 2017

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I'm going to go check it out at 7:30 tonight. Wanna bring your 911? :D

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

blk posted:

Coolant pipes, cardan shaft

He says the cardan shaft was done 6 months ago ($2k+ with receipts) but the coolant pipes were done ~5 years ago. Will those need replacing again?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

willroc7 posted:

I think it's a solid price, but 200hp feels underpowered. The 258 in my 2004 S is nice and adequate most of the time, but I think it'd be a different car without that extra 60hp.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I'm coming from a NA miata so to be honest I'm expecting even the base model to feel fast.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I'm going to go check it out at 7:30 tonight. Wanna bring your 911? :D

Tempting but a bad time for me. Or maybe I'll be waiting outside the cul-de-sac to chase you in the Jeep.

I wouldn't expect coolant pipes for another 5+ years too. I hope it turns out nice because that amount of service should mean the car will be in great shape. Then you can join the PCA and we can go on long scenic drives with a bunch of douchebags.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Hmm, dude said the IMS was services in 2002, and when asked whether it would need servicing again soon, "No, once it has been done with the correct parts, it's a non serviceable item like on early aircooled and late Mezger Turbo engines.
Whenever Porsche replaced these items they used the revised version without the sealed bearing. "

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Hmm, dude said the IMS was services in 2002, and when asked whether it would need servicing again soon, "No, once it has been done with the correct parts, it's a non serviceable item like on early aircooled and late Mezger Turbo engines.
Whenever Porsche replaced these items they used the revised version without the sealed bearing. "

:mrwhite:

They likely found an oil seep and preemptively replaced the bearing with a new one but it shouldn't have been a revised part because I don't recall there being a part change for IMS bearings. Also possible that it's a new engine which is not good since it'd be single-row and more susceptible to failure because IMS issues weren't even really that widely known until later. The stock IMS on 99s and earlier were the good dual rows and wouldn't be a huge worry to me in a $7000 car with a couple percent chance of failure so the most important thing would be if there's any documentation of what they actually did.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well, I'm spooked. I already own a chain driven V8 audi (plastic guides and all!), I don't need two ticking time bombs in my driveway.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Well, I'm spooked. I already own a chain driven V8 audi (plastic guides and all!), I don't need two ticking time bombs in my driveway.

Honestly if he has the service records of the dual row IMS being replaced with another dual row from 15 years ago then I wouldn't worry at all. Without that I'd lowball $6000, maybe $6500 then have Steinels do the IMS and misc other stuff for ~$2000 and drive the poo poo out of it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So which cars have the IMS issues? Caymans/Boxters are becoming temptingly affordable around here and especially in the UK what with their lovely brexit currency so although I probably wouldn't do it in the nearest future, I can't help but keep looking at them. The Caymans aren't dirt cheap like the earlier Boxsters obviously but they also seem to be quite new and low mileage for the money - like 15-16k for 80k mile/10yo car.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

So which cars have the IMS issues? Caymans/Boxters are becoming temptingly affordable around here and especially in the UK what with their lovely brexit currency so although I probably wouldn't do it in the nearest future, I can't help but keep looking at them. The Caymans aren't dirt cheap like the earlier Boxsters obviously but they also seem to be quite new and low mileage for the money - like 15-16k for 80k mile/10yo car.

It affects every watercooled N/A flat 6 up until 2009 on 911s, think it's similar with Caymans and Boxsters. 96-99 had dual row bearings with roughly <1% failures, followed by single rows taking over through 00-05 with maybe 5-10% failure rate and a new design taking over in 06 with a very low rate but cannot be retrofit into the roughly 0% failure rate aftermarket kits, mostly by LNE. By this point a huge amount of cars have been retrofit because it's not hard to do when the clutch is messed with and the $1-2000 cost on most of these cars is trivial compared to the risk. There's a bunch of sub-rules but that's the main bit. The most important exception is that some people have been known to sell cars when they had the retrofit done and found bearing damage already shedding metal into the engine so you'll want to have either the original bearing installed so you can do it yourself, have the original bearing in hand as proof, had it done a loooong time ago with paperwork proof, or have it done at a certified shop by LNE who are not allowed to retrofit damaged engines. There's also a couple retrofits including a couple LNE ones that are considered wear items with stated lifespans that people don't pay attention to.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

And I've just discovered you can get a Cayenne in stick... and there is this one (http://tinyurl.com/lghgqyu) at a dealer in Akron. :shepspends:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The chain guides, lifters, possible scoring and intermix issues are probably bigger issues in the general sense than IMS failiures.. and some of those aren't fatal to the engine. I seem to recall Raby saying that in his opinion virtually every 996 by this time which hasn't been rebuilt will need new lifters. In the initial warm up, mine has chain guide rattle a knock which goes away after the motor warms up for a minute which I am led to believe is a sticky lifter.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

The chain guides, lifters, possible scoring and intermix issues are probably bigger issues in the general sense than IMS failiures.. and some of those aren't fatal to the engine. I seem to recall Raby saying that in his opinion virtually every 996 by this time which hasn't been rebuilt will need new lifters. In the initial warm up, mine has chain guide rattle a knock which goes away after the motor warms up for a minute which I am led to believe is a sticky lifter.

Scoring on 911s scared me more than IMS failure because it's just a matter of time and unpreventable but at least it becomes a relatively minor issue on the smaller engines. If only the dumb engines weren't so expensive to replace then it wouldn't be so bad but lol at paying 20-30k for a rebuilt one to stuff in your 10k chassis. It sure feels like in 20 years all M96 and M97 cars will be rebuilt or LS1 conversions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would actually love to tear mine down and give it a basic rebuild just to do it but the whole cylinder liner thing scares me.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well I had a look at the boxster and it was a good bit rougher than expected. Current own is 4th and he has no records besides names of shops where it's been serviced. Rotors were warped and it have an aftermarket exhaust which wasn't too terrible. I'd been keen on a cleaner one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-porsche-911-gt3-2/

Ughhh.