Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dontaku's tomorrow morning. Hardly the best big show on paper but I think Fale/Okada will end up overdelivering

NJPW "WRESTLING DONTAKU 2017",
May 3rd, 2017 at 4:00 AM EDT/9:00 BST
Fukuoka Kokousai Center

0. Katsuya Kitamura & Tomoyuki Oka vs. Yoshitatsu & Hirai Kawato
1. YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
2. Togi Makabe, Tiger Mask W & Tiger Mask vs. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Jushin Thunder Liger
3. Hirooki Goto, Toru Yano, Jado, Rocky Romero & Beretta vs. Minori Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, Yoshinobu Kanemaru, Taichi & El Desperado
4. Cody vs. David Finlay
5. Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Juice Robinson & KUSHIDA
6. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Raymond Rowe & Hanson (c) vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa
7. NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet (c) vs. SANADA, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI
8. Special Singles Match: Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Bad Luck Fale
[/quote]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

ishii os gonna beat kenny then join suzuki gun andbeat up okada

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Solus posted:

Big Show Vapes
Fale smokes Cigars.

Use this as your decider. Whatever your prefences

big show vaping rules

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
His vape rig looks so tiny in his giant hands O_O

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I thought Dontaku was earlier than 4. I'll skip staying up for it then and catch it afterwards.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
gently caress it, just got off work. I'll watch it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo these young boys are jacked

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

this is one of the liveliest crowds I've ever heard in this building for either New Japan or Dragon Gate so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can get behind a Suzuki/Goto feud, but then again I can get behind a Suzuki/ANYBODY feud.

Finlay vs Cody will hopefully be good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kushida: Welp time to wrestle Naito... actually gently caress it I'll just assault Takahashi.
Juice: And I'll assault Naito! :hfive:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

BOSJ Block A
Jushin Liger
Ricochet
Dragon Lee
Will Ospreay
Marty Scurll
Taichi
TAKA Michinoku
Hiromu Takahashi

BOSJ Block B
Tiger Mask IV
Ryusuke Taguchi
KUSHIDA
Volador Hr
ACH
Yoshinobu Kanemaru
El Desperado
BUSHI

Holy poo poo this year looks STACKED. Didn't expect Volador's return or Scurll or ACH. WOuldn't even have thought Scurll would be a jr.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn BOSJ is gonna be great this year it looks like.

Edit: Those War Machine costumes :vince:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 3, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

C. Everett Koop posted:

I forgot that NJPW stuff was in Tekken 7 and that I can have my boy Akuma wear a Bullet Club shirt and wreck fools has me crowbarring open my wallet and throwing stacks everywhere.

Have you seen the Okada/King costume that makes him do the RAINMAKER as a super move?

GOTY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

"You!! Yes you Kenny. You're the best in Japan, no, the world. I want to give you another shot. Just you. If you're not interested, head on back, otherwise, get in here!"

Later...

"I want to say three things. First! Wow. Fale. Wow. That was something. Second! Next is Osaka-jo Hall. The company hasn't set anything yet, the company hasn't decided, but I know what I want. Kenny. Kenny, you're next!

Third...nothing in particular."

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 3, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

"You!! Yes you Kenny. You're the best in Japan, no, the world. I want to give you another shot. Just you. If you're not interested, head on back, otherwise, get in here!"

Later...

"I want to say three things. First! Wow. Fale. Wow. That was something. Second! Next is Osaka-jo Hall. The company hasn't set anything yet, the company hasn't decided, but I know what I want. Kenny. Kenny, you're next!

:hellyeah:

Okada/Kenny II is gonna be loving amazing.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

harperdc posted:

Later...

Born to make history

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Not having the rematch in Long Beach is a monumental mistake.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jubs posted:

Not having the rematch in Long Beach is a monumental mistake.

I disagree

The pop from the same crowd that saw Kenny come close will be worth it when he pulls through and hits One Winged Angel, and the first non-Brock gaijin champ getting to defend the belt at the US G1 Special will be huge

And if none of it happens and Okada just retains it'll be funny as poo poo, without the risk of immediately pissing off the new US crowd

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Chris James 2 posted:

I disagree

The pop from the same crowd that saw Kenny come close will be worth it when he pulls through and hits One Winged Angel, and the first non-Brock gaijin champ getting to defend the belt at the US G1 Special will be huge

And if none of it happens and Okada just retains it'll be funny as poo poo, without the risk of immediately pissing off the new US crowd

They only have one chance to make a first impression. Having the visual of the US crowd going insane over the title change is something they've always craved.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If - IF - the crowd is as big, and as knowledgeable as some here expect.

Meanwhile, Osaka-Jo Hall is one of their big shows of the year -- arguably their biggest outside Tokyo, and crowds in Osaka are always hot for NJPW. As well, we can't assume there will be a title defense at the G1 Special in Long Beach, but we *know* there will be one at Dominion.

Also, didn't realize quite the gimmick going on with the NEVER Trios belt. The sports/popular media commonly refer to national sports teams as [BLANK] Japan, e.g. Samurai Japan is the team that was in the World Baseball Classic, Nadeshiko Japan is the women's soccer team, and the men's soccer team is commonly referred to by the coach's name. Therefore, having Taguchi Japan is a wonderfully goofy gimmick for the floating group of faces. In the entrance, they were even talking about Ricochet being the foreign star striker.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I am extremely hype for Dominion

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
This won't surprise anyone, but Omega/Ishii was really good.

I also loved monster heel Bad Luck Fale talking about helping underpriveleged kids in his promo video.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Last two matches were both real good. Dominion is going to be amazing. Kenny wins or they do a broadway, calling it now.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sigmachiev posted:

Last two matches were both real good. Dominion is going to be amazing. Kenny wins or they do a broadway, calling it now.

A time limit draw at Dominion leading into Kenny winning in Long Beach would make a ton of sense. Kenny winning at Dominion and defending against Tana in Long Beach would also make a ton of sense.

I'd still really like to see Kenny defend his title against a major Japanese star in a ladder match, like we never got during his IC title feud with Tana due to that injury. I almost shelled out for an entire vacation to Osaka just to see that because the idea of a major Japanese star who'd only ever wrestled "strait," matches stepping right into an American Indy Wrestler's wheelhouse to try and beat them at their own game was so alluring. Maybe when/if he gets the IGWP we'll finally get it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Food Court Druid posted:

I also loved monster heel Bad Luck Fale talking about helping underpriveleged kids in his promo video.

OKADA THIS TIME I CRUSH YOUR SKULL

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Food Court Druid posted:

I'm so glad our hero, spoilt rich kid Okada was able to foil Fale's insidious plot to inspire troubled kids.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Every big card has delivered so far this year. On paper this looked the weakest of the lot but the last 4 matches were all really good in different ways.

I preferred the Omega/Ishii match last month but this was still great.

Tanahashi/Naito and Omega/Okada at Dominion should keep the run going.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Thrifting Day! posted:

Every big card has delivered so far this year. On paper this looked the weakest of the lot but the last 4 matches were all really good in different ways.

I preferred the Omega/Ishii match last month but this was still great.

Tanahashi/Naito and Omega/Okada at Dominion should keep the run going.

Not to mention we're likely to get Hiromu vs whoever wins BotSJ and Goto/Suzuki in the rematch.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
With Shibata dead, is the best idea for the G1 to have Kenny enter as champ since it means either Okada or Naito can win? If Okada enters as champ it means Naito probably wins and vice versa, since I can't see them giving Kenny two in a row.

Then again, this year either whoever wins the G1 needs to win at Wrassle Kingdome since it hasn't happened yet, or someone needs to win the G1 but lose the title shot, which would greatly widen the potential G1 winners pool and not doom the Wrassle Kingdome gate.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

C. Everett Koop posted:

With Shibata dead, is the best idea for the G1 to have Kenny enter as champ since it means either Okada or Naito can win? If Okada enters as champ it means Naito probably wins and vice versa, since I can't see them giving Kenny two in a row.

Then again, this year either whoever wins the G1 needs to win at Wrassle Kingdome since it hasn't happened yet, or someone needs to win the G1 but lose the title shot, which would greatly widen the potential G1 winners pool and not doom the Wrassle Kingdome gate.

I think it's a more compelling G1 for sure if Kenny is champion, because you have Naito and Okada as co-favorites (maybe give the edge to Naito), Tanahashi has the aging babyface who you could logically have win, and a good dark horse in Ibushi if he's involved. That opens up some good roads leading into Tokyo Dome; you could have Naito lose the briefcase to Okada or you could have Omega lose the belt to either of them at Kings of Pro Wrestling. If I'm booking for the next WrestleKingdom I'm probably going with Naito/Okada for the belt and ace status, Omega/Ibushi as the semi-main grudge match and Tanahashi against maybe Suzuki or Ishii for the IC.

E: Thinking it through, as a fan, really would want Ibushi/Omega for the belt at Tokyo Dome but not sure if they trust that enough for the gate. That would be the best possible story imho given their history.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 4, 2017

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

sigmachiev posted:

I think it's a more compelling G1 for sure if Kenny is champion, because you have Naito and Okada as co-favorites (maybe give the edge to Naito), Tanahashi has the aging babyface who you could logically have win, and a good dark horse in Ibushi if he's involved. That opens up some good roads leading into Tokyo Dome; you could have Naito lose the briefcase to Okada or you could have Omega lose the belt to either of them at Kings of Pro Wrestling. If I'm booking for the next WrestleKingdom I'm probably going with Naito/Okada for the belt and ace status, Omega/Ibushi as the semi-main grudge match and Tanahashi against maybe Suzuki or Ishii for the IC.

E: Thinking it through, as a fan, really would want Ibushi/Omega for the belt at Tokyo Dome but not sure if they trust that enough for the gate. That would be the best possible story imho given their history.

The way gedo does things Okada/Naito for IWGP and Omega/Ibushi as a grudge or IC match seems more likely.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Got around to watching Dontaku and was I the only one uncomfortable when Ishii was selling like Shibata walking to the back?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Ishin posted:

Got around to watching Dontaku and was I the only one uncomfortable when Ishii was selling like Shibata walking to the back?

I felt that way too but also thought they probably always did this and it only bothers me now that Shibata's done. Like I saw that Shibata exit live and just thought he was a super seller and not fuckin dead.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Reading the cards before hand I thought Dontaku would be the weaker show but it had the hottest crowd of the three and was the better show from top to bottom.

I think Naito will probably win the G1 since I think the Okada being broken down story will continue into it. From there I think you can either go with Okada/Naito or given that WK11 had great attendance go with Omega/Naito. Ibushi probably won't get a high match on the dome unless he signs long term.
However he does make sense for a challenger for Long Beach if they want to save Tanahashi for a Japan Date.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yep. The way I see it, Okada will get his rematch with Kenny after the G1 and Naito will go on to win in the finals. I also see it being Okada/Naito at the Dome, and I also feel like Omega/Ibushi will happen there but I also really want the Omega/Tanahashi ladder match beforehand. Heck, if they don't sign Ibushi, they're probably going to do Omega/Tanahashi at the Dome.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

SaberToothedPie posted:

The way gedo does things Okada/Naito for IWGP and Omega/Ibushi as a grudge or IC match seems more likely.

That's the ideal card imo. Put Tana alongside one of the face gaijin in the tag title match.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kenny is taking that belt either in Osaka or Long Beach, but I don't think he's carrying it into the Dome. Okada being too worn out to hold onto the belt perfectly sets up him falling short in the G1 and then taking a short rest to come back for his belt before Wrestle Kingdom. The long term storytelling surrounding Okada right now is excellent and his in-ring work is unreal. It's still early but we are probably in the midst of one of the greatest calendar years in history for one wrestler.

As for the rest of Dontaku, War Machine is perfect for New Japan and that match was a great hoss off. The Trios titles continue to be way more fun than they have any right to be. Even the undercard had some good stuff.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

That was the best match Fale has had in a couple years. He really seemed to stop giving a poo poo for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In hindsight, Gedo comes off like a loving genius for seeing the potential for greatness in Okada.

• Locked thread