Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Someone formally wrote poo poo down and both parties can be held to that. Regardless of who writes them, the whole point of Cucumber-style declarative BDD is that non-developer stakeholders understand how to read them. This can be used to iteratively agree on a spec without a big up-front formal document. If that isn't a requirement, definitely avoid Cucumber.
Yeah, for us we have a lot of QA people that really don't want to learn to code, so basically they write Cucumber feature files that gets passed to a team that most places would call SDETs and turn it into code.

Pollyanna posted:

Being able to claim all this solves a fuckload of problems and prevents a lot of confusion. I wish I had this. :cry:
BDD does not solve fundamental organizational and professional issues. Only strong, responsible, good leadership (leadership != management) can fix organizational issues, not some random cobbling together of devops, lean, SAFE, Agile, Six Sigma, or whatever other crap is sold to poor leaders with more money than skills, talent, or experience. In the same way that developers shouldn't care about certifications as an assessment of skills (maybe in fact a negative indicator of skill) organizations involved in those tend to show that's exactly what they're actually BAD at.

One of the big things that needs to be learned by developers isn't to just interview for coding problems, they need to learn to interview the company. Most of the soft stuff like "explain your release process," "so how is it... you make money and scale?" or "explain your company culture and values" was completely irrelevant to me when I was starting out, but it's absolutely important for success when you're not applying to well-known software shops because most places outside the hallowed halls of Big Tech are complete abortions to work in due to factors having nothing to do with the codebase (and absolutely some niches within those of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

necrobobsledder posted:

BDD does not solve fundamental organizational and professional issues. Only strong, responsible, good leadership (leadership != management) can fix organizational issues, not some random cobbling together of devops, lean, SAFE, Agile, Six Sigma, or whatever other crap is sold to poor leaders with more money than skills, talent, or experience. In the same way that developers shouldn't care about certifications as an assessment of skills (maybe in fact a negative indicator of skill) organizations involved in those tend to show that's exactly what they're actually BAD at.

One of the big things that needs to be learned by developers isn't to just interview for coding problems, they need to learn to interview the company. Most of the soft stuff like "explain your release process," "so how is it... you make money and scale?" or "explain your company culture and values" was completely irrelevant to me when I was starting out, but it's absolutely important for success when you're not applying to well-known software shops because most places outside the hallowed halls of Big Tech are complete abortions to work in due to factors having nothing to do with the codebase (and absolutely some niches within those of course).

Pretty much. It's just one particular thing that continues to annoy me though, and slows us down.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

amotea posted:

All aboard the AGILE RELEASE TRAIN motherfuckers, we're leaving the ARCHITECTURAL RUNWAY!

I'll take "Systems so convoluted we spend more time figuring out how to do things than actually doing things" for $200 Alex

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Really, the biggest advantage from all this is:

• Someone wrote something down, and
  • This stuff only exists in one place, and
  • Anyone can go to that place and read that stuff, and
  • All tickets, stories, and pieces of work are derived from that stuff, and
  • Any changes are reflected from that stuff.

Being able to claim all this solves a fuckload of problems and prevents a lot of confusion. I wish I had this. :cry:

That's basically it.

In an ideal situation it wouldn't be "someone wrote something down", but "people actually got together and agreed on what to write down".

And the last point in your list is especially important. Imagine having functional documentation that's always guaranteed to be up-to-date. Holy poo poo.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I'll take "Systems so convoluted we spend more time figuring out how to do things than actually doing things" for $200 Alex
You've just described enterprise systems in general. Just look at this terrifyingly accurate codebase https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

amotea posted:

All aboard the AGILE RELEASE TRAIN motherfuckers, we're leaving the ARCHITECTURAL RUNWAY!

Holy poo poo. We think we're doing agile, but this is really what we're doing :gonk:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

SAFe is so 2016. The new hotness is CrossAgile - you do Crossfit while coding. Supposed to give you mad productivity gains. The consultant fees are baller

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

SAFe is so 2016. The new hotness is CrossAgile - you do Crossfit while coding. Supposed to give you mad productivity gains. The consultant fees are baller

We fired that guy last July.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Develop your abs while you develop your apps!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Sick perf gains!

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

That's gold I'm coding burpy no ruby man

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

this is perfect because I've also been microdosing HGH for months

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
* CSS3 knowledge including data consumption from RESTful APIs

An actual bullet point on a job posting.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Gildiss posted:

:saddowns:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Gildiss posted:

Well, technically you could hit an endpoint to get a background-image: url(...) :v:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lumpy posted:

Well, technically you could hit an endpoint to get a background-image: url(...) :v:

oh god

it could be real

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dynamic CSS served to you over an API? Count me IN!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Lumpy posted:

Almost everything on https://shields.io could be considered parameterizable and sufficiently "REST" enough for half the places stupid enough to put CSS3 and REST into the same bullet point

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Dynamic CSS served to you over an API? Count me IN!

This is what we do. Is it really that strange?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Pollyanna posted:

This is what we do. Is it really that strange?

It's PROBABLY more complicated than it needs to be? Ideally, you'd get most of it static and just dynamically switch classes to change appearance.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nah, but just reading it that way made it sound insane.

then there was an m night shamylan twist where it turns out it was me all along, I was a dead agile programmer

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if our approach turned out to be overengineered crap.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 3, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Don't a bunch of places with military contractors in the reserve have those folks that have to maintain their fitness requirements so they do pushups and poo poo during builds and whatever?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
CrossFit is for people that are like, "Hey, remember gym class in high school? That was so awesome!"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Don't a bunch of places with military contractors in the reserve have those folks that have to maintain their fitness requirements so they do pushups and poo poo during builds and whatever?

Thats just good use of your time. Shouldn't be a military contractor only thing.

Hang on, gonna install my chinup bar in my doorway and get a 6 pack of la-croix from the closet for each hand to curl

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Skandranon posted:

It's PROBABLY more complicated than it needs to be? Ideally, you'd get most of it static and just dynamically switch classes to change appearance.

You can see Experts Exchange doing this, where there's a site-wide stylesheet and a page-specific stylesheet on every page. The latter is generated based on the possible components that can show up on the current page. Which, of course, led to bizarre bugs where a single page somewhere had an overly broad CSS rule that overrode a site-wide style and the bug reports from the users never got specific enough to track down what was causing it.

The pendulum constantly swung between overly broad and overly specific CSS rules. Good ol' CSS!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a good template for jira tickets our there? The tickets I keep getting are always vague or insipid stuff like "IF I DO THIS, THEN THIS HAPPENS. IF I DON'T THEN IT DOESN'T" and that doesn't actually tell me anything like what's the core problem, what's the expected behavior, etc.

I just want my PO to write decent tickets :saddowns:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

CPColin posted:

You can see Experts Exchange doing this, where there's a site-wide stylesheet and a page-specific stylesheet on every page. The latter is generated based on the possible components that can show up on the current page. Which, of course, led to bizarre bugs where a single page somewhere had an overly broad CSS rule that overrode a site-wide style and the bug reports from the users never got specific enough to track down what was causing it.

The pendulum constantly swung between overly broad and overly specific CSS rules. Good ol' CSS!

That's a weird choice, given browser caching and modern CDNs.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a good template for jira tickets our there? The tickets I keep getting are always vague or insipid stuff like "IF I DO THIS, THEN THIS HAPPENS. IF I DON'T THEN IT DOESN'T" and that doesn't actually tell me anything like what's the core problem, what's the expected behavior, etc.

I just want my PO to write decent tickets :saddowns:

"Steps to reproduce:

Expected behaviour:

Actual behaviour:

Tickets without all three of these things will be closed!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

lifg posted:

That's a weird choice, given browser caching and modern CDNs.

The extra work it took to make that stuff browser-cacheable and CDN-enabled made it pretty complicated to make any changes to that area of code!

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Doom Mathematic posted:

Steps to reproduce:

Expected behaviour:

Actual behaviour:

Yeah this is all you need to get a pretty good boost in ticket quality in my experience. It's not well-suited to feature requests obviously, but it gives people a good nudge in the right direction for bug reports.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Doom Mathematic posted:

"Steps to reproduce:

Expected behaviour:

Actual behaviour:

And then there's the one coworker who has to use the special template that adds, "Explain why you expect this behavior."

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Doom Mathematic posted:

"Steps to reproduce:
Use thing

quote:

Expected behaviour:
it worked

quote:

Actual behaviour:
it didn't work

why did you close my ticket you seem very combative this isn't conducive to a good workplace environment

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

Use thing

it worked

it didn't work

why did you close my ticket you seem very combative this isn't conducive to a good workplace environment

Reasonable grounds for murder, right? No jury would convict.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Use thing

it worked

it didn't work

Could not reproduce.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Doom Mathematic posted:

"Steps to reproduce:

Expected behaviour:

Actual behaviour:

We just get copy pasted emails from clients in our ticketing system :shepicide:

sweet lord release me from this

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
We had hand written forms for bugs at a job I worked at a few years ago. I can't remember what was on the forms for sure, but it pretty similar to the above questions plus a couple extra. People always just wrote whatever, ignoring the lines, questions, checkboxes, etc. It was always useless information too.

"My screen doesn't look right!"

"My system crashed. Fix it please!"

"I had a problem, come see me! -Rick"

Trying to force people to actually fill out the form instead of just scrawling a random sentence wherever just resulted in nonsense.

"Steps to reproduce: Use {our in house program}

Expected behavior: Working!

Actual behavior: Crashed!"

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Being able to train QA and testers, when you have no authority to do so, is a wicked useful skill. Setting up templates like this is a good way to start that.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

CrossFit is for people that are like, "Hey, remember gym class in high school? That was so awesome!"

Or for people who are, "Validate and applause for me as I do something stupid that could ruin my knees forever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChickenWing posted:

Use thing

it worked

it didn't work

Ticket closed: user should not reproduce.