Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Holy poo poo, everything about that is SO BAD. Beyond the content, the direction is loving abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlternateAccount posted:

Holy poo poo, everything about that is SO BAD. Beyond the content, the direction is loving abysmal.

Between Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon, Paul W.S. Anderson seemed set to have a career of making enjoyable schlock, and then ... woof.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

Between Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon, Paul W.S. Anderson seemed set to have a career of making enjoyable schlock, and then ... woof.

The first Resident Evil is a cool generic zombie movie. Death Race is a loving blast, too, and was my gold standard for practical-effect vehicle mayhem until Mad Max Fury Road raised the bar into the stratosphere.

I'll give AvP credit for its practical effects work as well, but the bulk of that credit goes to ADI rather than Anderson.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is this all really leading up to "David created the aliens" ?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hopefully!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
David is just working his way up the God chain so he can be the one true universal god

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

David is just working his way up the God chain so he can be the one true universal god
He really is the best character in the entire Alien franchise.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Is this all really leading up to "David created the aliens" ?
There's a mural in Prometheus depicting classic xenomorphs, so David can't be their original creator. But no doubt he's gotten up to same crazy poo poo in between the movies, and is the source of all the monsters this time around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That looked more like the Decon from the end or Prometheus.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i like that even if david does "make" the alien, the mysterious black goo is still unknowable, at least until Alien Covenant 2: The Secret Of The Ooze. i think explaining the origins of it would be a mistake; at its heart alien benefits from being cosmic, unknowable horror

meanwhile some cool internet dude put the whole AC ost on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDlcyFh_-rs starts off with the traditional alien instrumentation and ideas but gets into weirder territory the longer it goes on. probably spoilers in the tracklisting if you're inclined to worry about such things, but given that fox would put the entire plot summary on the movie poster if they could, they are pretty minor.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Boy, it sure looks like there's going to be a huge scene in which David perpetrates a total genocide against the Engineer homeworld via the black goo cannisters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oNIw3SMQkE

Edit: The shithead who made this video put spoiler stills right in the goddamn thumbnail. Apologies.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 3, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was in the prologue clip that was posted a bit back. The one with Shaw in it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

That was in the prologue clip that was posted a bit back. The one with Shaw in it.

Yeah, but this video shows stills of the black goo bombardment.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The entire plot of the film leaked months back. Why is anyone surprised by promo material at this point?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Also, there's footage of the engineers getting stuff dropped on them in one of the trailers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

The entire plot of the film leaked months back. Why is anyone surprised by promo material at this point?

I know the gist of the movie, but I didn't realize a script had leaked. I'm just being careful with regards to posting spoilers.

Dan Didio posted:

Also, there's footage of the engineers getting stuff dropped on them in one of the trailers.

It would appear I missed a trailer, then. Was this an international trailer?

Edit: 20th Century Fox's Vietnamese YouTube page? Well that explains that, then.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 3, 2017

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

That night in Point Pleasant. Those red eyes Richard Gere would never forget.
Alien 3 apologists are the worst. The movie is a loving trainwreck, and even David Fincher hates it. The Assembly Cut is a curiosity, at best; at worst, it's a longer turd. Let's kill of Hicks and Newt! Let's have the prisoners attempt to gang-rape Ripley! Let's use the xenomorph's POV every 30 seconds to once again show you how crazy fast it is--AND how it can move on the ceiling. Lets attempt super-ambitious F/X even though we don't have the budget for it and the technology just isn't there. Let's kill off one of the best characters in all of sci-fi!

There is literally nothing good about the movie, nor will there ever be. The only remaining question is what the gently caress was Fox thinking when they put Fincher in charge? Were they so wowed by his AT&T commercials and Madonna videos that they just had to throw him into something he was clearly not ready for? And why in the blue gently caress did they select THAT script out of ALL of the Alien 3 scripts that were out there?

The movie is pure poo poo. Everyone knows it, and it's high time that the apologists get with the loving program. To be fair, Alien Covenant stands a good chance at out-making GBS threads Alien 3, especially since John Logan is involved.

CDHiggs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 3, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rumor Control, here are the facts.

Alien 3 owns.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

"No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me."

--David Fincher on Alien 3

Also:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/03/david-fincher-interview-transcript

MS: Have you grown to like it since then, Alien 3?

DF: God, no! [audience laughs] But I don't look at anything after it's done.

MS: So that alternate cut on the DVD special edition whatever it is – that's not yours?

DF: I don't know who did it, I've never seen it, I can't comment on it.

So amazing that even Fincher can't be bothered to watch it!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah but he just made the drat thing, he can't be trusted to have a solid opinion on it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nothing is worse than a bad film experience. It will completely change the way you look at your own work.

I did a thing, I hated the production of it. I've shown it to people and they liked it, but it bothers me too much because all I can think about is the making of it. Which sucked.

CDHiggs
Dec 16, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

yeah but he just made the drat thing, he can't be trusted to have a solid opinion on it

That quote is from a 2009 interview.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CDHiggs posted:

That quote is from a 2009 interview.

so?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Me, personally, I think Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was loving awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Stallone thought First Blood was so bad he almost bought the rights to the film so he could have it completely wiped out of existence.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Stallone thought First Blood was so bad he almost bought the rights to the film so he could have it completely wiped out of existence.

Yet he was fine with Expendables 3. Suspicious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Yet he was fine with Expendables 3. Suspicious.

Not fully

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-expendables/33075/sylvester-stallone-pg-13-expendables-3-was-horrible-miscalculation

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

I watched First Blood the other day, just so I could see how bad the cops handled Rambo in the police department. Like what police procedure has them cut your hair? Like cop students should watch the movie just to see how not to be a police officer. Guy escaped after we washed him with a hose and tried to cut his hair.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yeah, cutting his hair reduced his overall weight and washing made him feel fresher. These would aid him in escaping them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CDHiggs posted:

Let's kill off one of the best characters in all of sci-fi!

I want to know if you're talking about Ripley, Bishop or the Xenomorph here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe he means Spike

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Timby posted:

You can set a metronome to how he edits his action scenes. It's almost always literally one second per cut and it's baffling, infuriating and headache inducing.

I know this isn't the time or place, but I just had to get that off my chest.

Anyway... Alien Convent, eh? What's all that about?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

gods and monsters and spookums

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want to know if you're talking about Ripley, Bishop or the Xenomorph here.

He's talking about 'The Predator'.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

He's talking about 'The Predator'.

from the famous films The Predator and The Predator 2

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

It's when Aliens terrorizes a space nunnery and then gets killed off one by one by a mysterious being in dreadlocks. It's Whoopi Goldberg, back in the space habit!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 owns.

yup. Theatrical Cut, Assembly Cut, take your pick, they're both great.

CDHiggs posted:

"No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me."

--David Fincher on Alien 3

Also:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/03/david-fincher-interview-transcript

MS: Have you grown to like it since then, Alien 3?

DF: God, no! [audience laughs] But I don't look at anything after it's done.

MS: So that alternate cut on the DVD special edition whatever it is – that's not yours?

DF: I don't know who did it, I've never seen it, I can't comment on it.

So amazing that even Fincher can't be bothered to watch it!

David Fincher also presumably thought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was good.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 3, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

It was.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Someone didn't like a thing he created, and therefore it must be bad and nobody else can like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 owns.

I appreciate this reply. RIP Brian Glover, you were a wonderful bastard.