Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Keeshhound posted:

:spergin: but isn't the deal with red sunlight that it crowds out yellow sunlight, not that it's kryptonite to him?

Depends. Sometimes it completely saps him, sometimes it just doesn't power him up. Its been inconsistent for like forty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zore posted:

Its been inconsistent for like forty years.

This is the part I was forgetting. Comics! :argh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Why don't they have a backup plan anyway? Something like, if power fails then the room gets flooded with kryptonite gas?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I would think a completely dark room would do just as good a job. But yeah, forty years...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Why don't they have a backup plan anyway? Something like, if power fails then the room gets flooded with kryptonite gas?

Was Dictator Superman thorough enough to destroy his world's supply of Kryptonite?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mikl posted:

The same reason why they let a psychopathic Superman, who was only defeated by non-psychopathic Superman from another dimension, live instead of jamming a kryptonite dagger into his brain.

Comic books.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Not directly related, but I still think it's funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjgDSgxT0lk

:allears:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

redbackground posted:

Was Dictator Superman thorough enough to destroy his world's supply of Kryptonite?

Yes, actually, which is why they had to go recruit Hawkman who had an extraterrestrial supply of it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

KaosMachina posted:

Yes, actually, which is why they had to go recruit Hawkman who had an extraterrestrial supply of it.

That's one way to make Hawkman relevant I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Considering in Injustice there are mass-produced pills that let you be temporarily as strong as Superman I'm still not sure how or why he's as big a deal as he is.

Like Alfred kicks his rear end at one point in the original Injustice run.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Zore posted:

Considering in Injustice there are mass-produced pills that let you be temporarily as strong as Superman I'm still not sure how or why he's as big a deal as he is.

Yeah, but then Dictator Superman had Alfred murdered after making sure he was alone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Superman still has the other powers like heat vision and freeze breath and X-ray vision to make him a threat to other schmucks on pills.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also Marvel jobs out to Superman like a wuss for whatever reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

I would think a completely dark room would do just as good a job. But yeah, forty years...

I'm assuming they're going with the "red sunlight saps his powers" interpretation here, not the "red sunlight just doesn't recharge him" version.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Pureauthor posted:

Also Marvel jobs out to Superman like a wuss for whatever reason.

The answer to that is 'because he did that in the video game'.

Honestly the answer to most of the really bad decisions in Ground Zero are 'this is how it happened in the video game'.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

:spergin: but isn't the deal with red sunlight that it crowds out yellow sunlight, not that it's kryptonite to him? Like, once they had him squirreled away underground that should have been it unless someone specifically broke him out.

Yeah, but Superman.

(This is the DC Comics equivalent of "a wizard did it," excepting of course those instances in which an actual wizard did, in fact, do it.)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ecavalli posted:

Yeah, but Superman.

(This is the DC Comics equivalent of "a wizard did it," excepting of course those instances in which an actual wizard did, in fact, do it.)

Actually, I guess that's the next :spergin: question; why didn't they get Zatana or one of the 3rd string magicians the league has stuffed in their broom closet to enchant his cuffs?

"Whenever you see something like that... Superman did it."

"But he was-"

"Superman."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Keeshhound posted:

Actually, I guess that's the next :spergin: question; why didn't they get Zatana or one of the 3rd string magicians the league has stuffed in their broom closet to enchant his cuffs?

"But he was-"

"Superman."

As far as that goes, why not have Dr. Fate imprison him in the tower?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
But then Batman couldn't glower at him through a huge glass enclosure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zore posted:

It's really more like as strong as Superboy, the 90s one. Superman is still portrayed both in-game and in the comics as horrifyingly powerful compared to pretty much everyone but Doomsday.

And as fun as Alfred kicking Superman's rear end was, that was an incredibly weakened Superman who'd basically had the equivalent of a couple atomic bombs go off in his face just minutes before.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Keeshhound posted:

"But he was-"

"Superman."
Maybe Zatanna got killed offscreen or something? Zatanna kind of has the Doctor Strange problem, just in a sexier way.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nessus posted:

Maybe Zatanna got killed offscreen or something? Zatanna kind of has the Doctor Strange problem, just in a sexier way.

Depending on how things pan out in Injustice 2, she was last seen keeping prisoners contained in the Tower of Fate.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On the subject of "Magic is always able to handwave better than science, because gently caress you". Has there ever been some explicitly scientific Hero/Villain/Etc who just no-sells magic, and when people demand answers they just throw it back in their face saying "Why don't YOU explain why Magic is supposed to work on me?"

You know, without it later being revealed it was actually magic the whole time, or New Gods technology is basically magic with Jack Kirby sensibilities, etc. I know it's the nature of the beast, but I just miss SCIENCE getting as much as a pass as wizards in just shrugging and saying "It's loving Flash Gordon poo poo, you know?" rather than trying to rationalize Supermans' strength by way of "Well it must clearly be some form of telekinetic ability to compensate for- :spergin:"

Meanwhile, off to the side you've got people asking why Zatana didn't just talk backwards their problem away because gently caress it, people save all their scrutiny for pretend science.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 3, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Section Z posted:

On the subject of "Magic is always able to handwave better than science, because gently caress you". Has there ever been some explicitly scientific Hero/Villain/Etc who just no-sells magic, and when people demand answers they just throw it back in their face saying "Why don't YOU explain why Magic is supposed to work on me?"

You know, without it later being revealed it was actually magic the whole time, or New Gods technology is basically magic with Jack Kirby sensibilities, etc. I know it's the nature of the beast, but I just miss SCIENCE getting as much as a pass as wizards in just shrugging and saying "It's loving Flash Gordon poo poo, you know?" rather than trying to rationalize Supermans' strength by way of "Well it must clearly be some form of telekinetic ability to compensate for- :spergin:"

Meanwhile, off to the side you've got people asking why Zatana didn't just talk backwards their problem away because gently caress it, people save all their scrutiny for pretend science.

The reason Zatanna can't just magically fix all problems is because she has to continue to concentrate on whatever spell she just cast if it's effect is supposed to be maintained.

At least, in the Injustice comics that's how she works. Batman asked her why she couldn't heal some injury for him during Year 2 and she said that as soon as she took her focus off of that he'd be back to being crippled, so he needs to get repaired/healed "normally".

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Section Z posted:

I'd love to see arcanum rules make a comeback.

Science is using the laws of nature to achieve an end, and magic is using willpower to subvert those laws, so a strong enough mage makes smartphones crash just by being in their presence, and complex enough tech makes fireballs fizzle.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

I'd love to see arcanum rules make a comeback.

Science is using the laws of nature to achieve an end, and magic is using willpower to subvert those laws, so a strong enough mage makes smartphones crash just by being in their presence, and complex enough tech makes fireballs fizzle.

While from a game balance end, Magic still came out far ahead in perks and minimal drawbacks compared to Tech (Oh I guess the magic user has to teleport across the planet to get around the fact he's not allowed to ride the train, so sad), Arcanum had my favorite payoff of of taking that cliche about "magic breaks digital watches just for existing :smug:" around on you at the end :allears:

The machine made to break the generic magical plot seal countless kidnapped dwarves had been worked to death to build, was just the worlds largest do gently caress-all Rube Goldberg machine. Which was very cathartic, given how many fireball burns I still had despite no longer being allowed the luxury of magical healing because my lockpicking and trap disarming was too high.

Which puts it way ahead of most Magic+Science settings that are supposedly about them co-existing. Otherwise Magic seems to always be the actually important thing in the main plot beats, and probably still need to rely on magic to deal with "wizard problems" no matter how sweet you cybernetics are (See: Shadowrun).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 3, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Section Z posted:

While from a game balance end, Magic still came out far ahead in perks and minimal drawbacks compared to Tech (Oh I guess the magic user has to teleport across the planet to get around the fact he's not allowed to ride the train, so sad), Arcanum had my favorite payoff of of taking that cliche about "magic breaks digital watches just for existing :smug:" around on you at the end :allears:

The machine made to break the generic magical plot seal countless kidnapped dwarves had been worked to death to build, was just the worlds largest do gently caress-all Rube Goldberg machine. Which was very cathartic, given how many fireball burns I still had despite no longer being allowed the luxury of magical healing because my lockpicking and trap disarming was too high.

Which puts it way ahead of most Magic+Science settings that are supposedly about them co-existing. Otherwise Magic seems to always be the actually important thing in the main plot beats, and probably still need to rely on magic to deal with "wizard problems" no matter how sweet you cybernetics are (See: Shadowrun).

What the gently caress are you talking about

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That wizards ruin everything

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Taerkar posted:

That wizards ruin everything

Did a wizard type that post because if so I agree

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

purple death ray posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

Arcanum was an early 2000s CRPG; I laid out the central conceit already. Instead of the standard "magic fucks up tech because it's so special," they put the two in opposition, and wherever one was stronger it would nullify the other. Mages had to ride the last car of a train so they wouldn't make the engine explode (which they used for a pretty good riff on the TSA), but at the same time, a guy in steampunk power armor would nullify any magic cast at them, including healing magic.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 3, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

Arcanum was an early 2000s CRPG; I laid out the central conceit already. Instead of the standard "magic fucks up tech because it's so special," they put the two in opposition, and wherever one was stronger it would nullify the other. Mages had to ride the last car of a train so they wouldn't make the engine explode (which they used for a pretty good riff on the TSA), but at the same time, a guy in steampunk power armor would nullify any magic cast at them, including healing magic.

This sort of logic is at work in several properties. Dresden Files, for example. To a lesser extent, Shadowrun. Off the top of my head.

TV Tropes I'm sure can get you the full deets.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

dont even fink about it posted:

This sort of logic is at work in several properties. Dresden Files, for example. To a lesser extent, Shadowrun. Off the top of my head.

It's usually only one-way though. Magic fucks up tech in Dresden Files, but Tech does not gently caress up Magic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tech definitely fucks up magic in Shadowrun.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

dont even fink about it posted:

TV Tropes I'm sure can get you the full deets.

Dresden Files is kind of amusing in this regard because the level of interference is basically arbitrarily set to enable Dresden to work like a noir gumshoe, so he can roll around in his classic car with a revolver and get ominous phone calls.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ashcans posted:

Dresden Files is kind of amusing in this regard because the level of interference is basically arbitrarily set to enable Dresden to work like a noir gumshoe, so he can roll around in his classic car with a revolver and get ominous phone calls.

It's actually been mentioned that the level of interference is actually set to the wizard and that ones younger than Harry can use more at least slightly advanced technology, and significantly older ones can't even use a landline or drive a car with an electric starter.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
And similarly, while cybernetics will screw up your ability to do magic in shadowrun, a particularly strong magical creature won't shut down your cyberarm, either.

Just to extend the example to an extreme, yes a PC mage has to ride the last car of the train (or gets barred from it entirely) but an early quest sees you hired by a gnome mage in a backwater town to destroy the local steam engine, because it's presence is strengthening the laws of to nature so much that he can't overcome them with his meagre willpower, and his business is suffering.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Just to extend the example to an extreme, yes a PC mage has to ride the last car of the train (or gets barred from it entirely) but an early quest sees you hired by a gnome mage in a backwater town to destroy the local steam engine, because it's presence is strengthening the laws of to nature so much that he can't overcome them with his meagre willpower, and his business is suffering.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Am I even in BSS right now? What is happening to reality

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

purple death ray posted:

We are in the lovely Framework world where Donald Trump won the election. Anything goes at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

purple death ray posted:

If I'm reading things right, a sufficiently powerful magical lasso can do things like make a very high-tech fighter jet invisible. I think? Sure.