Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Somebody cut the brakes on the hype train!

quote:

So our rough plan is to slot the expansion pack into the release cadence as if it were an episode: episode 5, then episode 6, then the expansion pack, then episode 1. But we’ll make some allowance for the fact that shipping an expansion pack is a big deal logistically and will probably take longer than the 2~3 months we normally allocate between episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I logged in and farted around in Auric Basin. I'm trying to get enough points to fully upgrade the Scrapper line. I can't ONLY play Ranger and Guardian, after all.

I think I'm over the feeling of being overwhelmed. Since I know I will never make a Legendary I can just drink around at my own pace.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dad on the rag posted:

Somebody cut the brakes on the hype train!

I don't know, yeah it probably means a spring 18 launch but it also looks LS 4 comes 2-3 months after instead of a year.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Is the new mastery actually a grappling hook? Sounds awesome from what i read on reddit

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It basically makes you Spider-man, and you can use it while gliding. Also makes you really want to use it in other maps too.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Huh, wouldn't it mean a late 2017 release date? Either June or July for ep6 and then around September to December for the launch of the expansion.

E:

quote:

Will we have to wait until after episode 6 for expansion announcements or details?

Mike-OBrien-ArenaNet

Yes, it'll be after episode 6. We're still hard-at-work on the expansion, plus, we don't want to spoil plot points of episode 6 before it launches.

Mo

Eh sounds pretty weird if they plan to launch this year.

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 2, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Not launching this until 2018 would be a horrible stupid Anet-esque idea, they need to release it this fall.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Edit: I'm a dumb baby

CrusherEAGLE fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 3, 2017

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not launching this until 2018 would be a horrible stupid Anet-esque idea, they need to release it this fall.

I'd put money on it being out no later than Thanksgiving.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Erdricks posted:

I'd put money on it being out no later than Thanksgiving.

Canadian or American Thanksgiving???????

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

After Canadian Halloween, clearly.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Canadian or American Thanksgiving???????

The one that God intended to matter when he had Jesus co write the Constitution with the founding fathers.

Canadian, obviously.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

holy crap that was a good story update

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Happy Birthday Arus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td7-vtRcdyo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

"arus look at that mate, that mushroom looks like your penis, it even has a smegma trail and everything" -cletus 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I bought the game around when HoT was released, then HoT itself some months after that. I've (very casually) played a warrior from 1-80 and really like it, but I'm worried the warrior endgame might be too twitchy for me. I run a GS/Hammer build and can usually kill things pretty effectively, but I'm at the point in the HoT storyline where I can hardly progress because if I ever get attacked by more than two Maguuma mobs at the same time, I usually get stuck in an AoE and die. I'm in all Exotics, so I don't think it's a gear thing.
I really like the warrior, but if I can't even do map completion stuff without getting stomped by non-elite monsters, should I try out another class? I've played Ranger and Thief to 20 or so and like them both, but I get the feeling they'll turn a lot less forgiving in later levels.

Also, I've hardly done any dungeons at all because of the LFG mentality ("gently caress everyone who doesn't know all the content by heart, and especially gently caress you if you ever die"). Is there any point to doing them at this point?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lonk posted:

Mustache clips through helmet. 10/10

the best thing about the legendary armor, the two precursor sets remove your facial hair but the legendary one does not

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

I bought the game around when HoT was released, then HoT itself some months after that. I've (very casually) played a warrior from 1-80 and really like it, but I'm worried the warrior endgame might be too twitchy for me. I run a GS/Hammer build and can usually kill things pretty effectively, but I'm at the point in the HoT storyline where I can hardly progress because if I ever get attacked by more than two Maguuma mobs at the same time, I usually get stuck in an AoE and die. I'm in all Exotics, so I don't think it's a gear thing.
I really like the warrior, but if I can't even do map completion stuff without getting stomped by non-elite monsters, should I try out another class? I've played Ranger and Thief to 20 or so and like them both, but I get the feeling they'll turn a lot less forgiving in later levels.

Also, I've hardly done any dungeons at all because of the LFG mentality ("gently caress everyone who doesn't know all the content by heart, and especially gently caress you if you ever die"). Is there any point to doing them at this point?

Are you running Healing Signet? Run Healing Signet. It's great

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Do the meta events with people for the HoT maps if it is your first time going through them. Plus if you decide to play ranger you can run the stupid shoutbow build. You'll be pretty much unkillable.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Comrade Koba posted:

One of the things I noticed when I first went through the HoT zones (also on a warrior) is that the mob fights are really reliant on positioning, much more so than a lot of old Tyria. I know it maybe sounds redundant, but really be careful of where you are standing, and use your dodges to get out of the AOE (especially that one mushroom that slows you way down, gently caress that guy).

As for LFGing Dungeons, especially story mode, I've generally found people are pretty kind if you tell them you have never been in before. The dungeons themselves give you decent money, and dungeon tokens when can purchase weapons, armor, and legendary weapon components.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mushrooms are insanely deadly in this game

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Don't join any dungeon runs that say meta, exp, lvl80. Just join a all welcome group or make a all welcome group and you should be fine. Gw2dungeons.net has guides for beginners.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Jinh posted:

Mushrooms are insanely deadly in this game

I like that one of the hearts is just you ingesting whatever mushroom is in front of you.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Redmanred posted:

I like that one of the hearts is just you ingesting whatever mushroom is in front of you.

They're pure evil

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Redmanred posted:

I'm a fan of the ones that have you pour water on passed-out drunks in freezing weather.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Comrade Koba posted:

Warrior: There are different builds and weapon sets to make solo PvE even more facetank on Warrior. GS 2+3 is going to smash anything anyways. Try using Sword/Warhorn instead of Hammer for that extra utility and mobility. What traits are you using? Just run Defense/Discipline/Tactics if you want more safety.

Gear: May as well hop into Auric Basin and get a set of Rune of Durability on Marauder armor. This is fantastic solo PvE gear and doubles as best-in-slot WvW gear.

Dungeons: The environment has changed. The only people left running dungeons are fairly friendly players desperate for anyone to dungeon with, so there is no luxury for the toxic elitists to exist anymore. If you don't see a listing, just put one up yourself saying "story newb help appreciated all welcome" and I guarantee you will get help (or sit there alone since dungeons are dead). Lots of endgame items will require minimum dungeon effort, so may as well do some if you want to, or do the specific ones you'll need later.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Papal Mainframe posted:

One of the things I noticed when I first went through the HoT zones (also on a warrior) is that the mob fights are really reliant on positioning, much more so than a lot of old Tyria. I know it maybe sounds redundant, but really be careful of where you are standing, and use your dodges to get out of the AOE (especially that one mushroom that slows you way down, gently caress that guy).

Yeah, I've gotten a lot better at positioning and dodging, but the problem seems to be that I just can't withstand incoming damage. One or two mobs is usually fine, but any more than that and I usually end up in stacked AoE's and die in a couple of seconds. Granted, this is my first 80 so I really don't have anything to compare with.

I've managed to get to the final chapter of the HoT storyline now, but the first fight (Blighted Eir + Garm) has stopped me dead. I just can't get my DPS high enough in the burst phases while avoiding AoE at the same time.

AnacondaHL posted:

Warrior: There are different builds and weapon sets to make solo PvE even more facetank on Warrior. GS 2+3 is going to smash anything anyways. Try using Sword/Warhorn instead of Hammer for that extra utility and mobility. What traits are you using? Just run Defense/Discipline/Tactics if you want more safety.

Gear: May as well hop into Auric Basin and get a set of Rune of Durability on Marauder armor. This is fantastic solo PvE gear and doubles as best-in-slot WvW gear.

Dungeons: The environment has changed. The only people left running dungeons are fairly friendly players desperate for anyone to dungeon with, so there is no luxury for the toxic elitists to exist anymore. If you don't see a listing, just put one up yourself saying "story newb help appreciated all welcome" and I guarantee you will get help (or sit there alone since dungeons are dead). Lots of endgame items will require minimum dungeon effort, so may as well do some if you want to, or do the specific ones you'll need later.

Much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 3, 2017

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Comrade Koba posted:

I've managed to get to the final chapter of the HoT storyline now, but the first fight (Blighted Eir + Garm) has stopped me dead. I just can't get my DPS high enough in the burst phases while avoiding AoE at the same time.

Ask around in Guild chat and someone may be able to run that final mission with you. I've never survived it without at least one other person helping me because I am bad at the game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, I'm 90% done with Scrapper.
Anything in particular I should know?
Anything to avoid?

Right now I'm laying down stick fields and putting the shredder gyro inside. It's very good.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Where are you playing it? PvE, PvP or WvW

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm a fan of the ones that have you pour water on passed-out drunks in freezing weather.

Lmao i did this one twice in a couple days when i was leading a friend to bitterfrost frontier, it's so messed up.

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017
Is there a general consensus on the best method for World Completion? I've not gotten higher than like 40% on any character so far and that's been mostly just aimlessly wandering around :ohdear:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Papal Mainframe posted:

Is there a general consensus on the best method for World Completion? I've not gotten higher than like 40% on any character so far and that's been mostly just aimlessly wandering around :ohdear:
There's a guide with optimal paths, but honestly following it seems like more of a pain than just doing it naturally.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Papal Mainframe posted:

Pick a zone, wander around, do whatever you come across. I've done world completion twice now and that's really all there is to it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kessel posted:

Where are you playing it? PvE, PvP or WvW

PvE for now. I'm trying to do all the story missions on one character.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

PvE for now. I'm trying to do all the story missions on one character.

PvE scrapper is basically an engineer which sacrifices some RAID META damage optimisation for increased survivability. There aren't many hard and fast rules. For the survivability you want to slot Adaptive Armour and Rapid Regeneration, then make sure Heavy Armour Exploit is selected in the Firearms line. That will provide you with the swiftness necessary to trigger your regen, and every time your function gyro revives someone (which happens quite a lot in open world/instance content) you'll get super speed and a big boost to your heal over time.

Heal turret is still better than medic gyro. Sneak gyro is really great for bullshit skips (like accessing the leather farm in Lake Doric without actually having to fight anything).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Papal Mainframe posted:

either pick the zones you have the most discovered in or the least discovered in already and fill those out, working your way up/down the percentages as you go along

decide if you want to fill out entire main chunks of the map before moving on to other ones or if you want to swap to different parts of the world every time you fill out a map

listen to music you like as you do it

i had a lot of fun with world completion and it was mainly because i tackled it in a way that was the most satisfying to me, personally. it's not something that should be forced if you don't want to keep doing it, so maybe just take a break for the day if you've completed a zone or two. it's not something that's going to happen overnight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Johnny Joestar posted:

i had a lot of fun with world completion

Same except for Tangled Depths

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same except for Tangled Depths + Verdant Basin

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my advice only applies to the main world map. any expansion maps are...a different thing entirely to complete.

• Locked thread