Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it was originally a saddle but as the character design evolved over the years it became a shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is he a dragon or a dinosaur?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remember when yoshi used to make like beatbox drum machine sounds

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I'm sorry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol That Bioshock Infinite ending, what if you went back in time to kill Hitler but then it turned out you were Hitler?????

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sakurazuka posted:

lol That Bioshock Infinite ending, what if you went back in time to kill Hitler but then it turned out you were Hitler?????

Bioshock Infinite is a really bad game wearing a Groucho Marx disguise and holding up a sign that says "I Am A Good Video Game"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 3, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bioshock Infinite's story is bad and I'm glad that's an opinion I can express now without everyone talking about how brilliant it is and I must have just not understood it.

(I probably have a harsher opinion of it than is reasonable because I really liked its setting and aesthetics but the total lack of exploration and the up-its-own-rear end story just killed the whole thing for me.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

Look on the bright side, you killed Hitler.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

There's always a killer. And there's always a hitler. Let the circle be unbroken.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's a shame because that shifting multiverse fractal lighthouse segment in the last 10 minutes of the game was more interesting than 90% of the level design up until that point and it was all in service of a really dumbass plot

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember reading about the ending to Bioshock Infinite and thinking "that's about the dumbest thing ever" and then two weeks later I played the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and welp.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Bioshock Infinite was so bad that I started to question if I even liked videogames anymore.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I actually kind of liked the bit where you ended up in Rapture and the meta commentary on sequels but then it took a swerve into idiotville

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Bioshock Infinite... story was overhyped initially as "like whoa man deep it really makes you think" by games journos but what mattered more was that the gameplay was a step backwards in complexity from Bioshock 2 and even 1

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Good news tho: videogames still own.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sakurazuka posted:

isn't that the villain's story in infamous

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
*thinks back on bioshock infinite* wait do you kill hitler at the end? nah nah thats crazy. wait do you...

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bioshock Infinite, the only game bold enough to ask "What if both sides are bad?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

I actually kind of liked the bit where you ended up in Rapture and the meta commentary on sequels but then it took a swerve into idiotville

As far as I can tell the message of the game is that ripping random bits and pieces out of what came before with no understanding of context is bad, and it communicates this message by embodying it in the form of a bad game. Which I guess makes it a trenchant commentary on the nature of iterative art but you're still playing a bad game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I did like the setting.

Also the intro to the game where you're walking around the fair before any fighting starts tricked me into thinking it might be good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

I imagine it's the story in a lot of games/media.

I mean, even the final boss of Zelda 2 is just link, but evil

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
What's Bioshock all about anyways? All I know is that there are large robot men with cool drill hands and Infinite has an absurd/insane multidimensional spanning plot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium posted:

Infamous's story is that in the future the world will be destroyed, so you go back in time to destroy only a little piece of the world in hopes of inspiring your past self to become enough of a badass to save the rest of the world later, which is purest comic book bullshit but that was the game's entire value proposition to begin with so it all works out in the end.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The villain in Infamous trains himself so he's ready for the sequel

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GLAAD trash bags posted:

What's Bioshock all about anyways? All I know is that there are large robot men with cool drill hands and Infinite has an absurd/insane multidimensional spanning plot.

"Hey, what if a bunch of libertarian assholes tried to make their own underwater city free of the ~parasites~ goes about as well as you expect."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like the episode of Misfits where a Holocaust survive buys a time travel ability from the power broker and teleports himself back into to Hitler's office to kill him, but he's still an 80 year old guy, so hitler immediately overpowers him. Then hitler finds his cellphone and the nazis win ww2.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

oddium posted:

remember when yoshi used to make like beatbox drum machine sounds

I only ever played the GBA version of Yoshis Island so while I can respect how rad it is that all of the sounds they make are literally from loving with an old record player IIRC it still sounds weird as poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh well, I ordered a Switch today so it's all swings and roundabouts.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
why is one of the characters in f.e.a.r a fat guy who sexually harasses people and wiggles his butt at you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

why is one of the characters in f.e.a.r a fat guy who sexually harasses people and wiggles his butt at you

He's the dennis nedry character

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just got this beautiful boy and he is basically perfect in every way

the way his legs transform to form the pistol grip for his gun form is downright magical. I transformed him once and then back and will probably never transform him again because his transformation is about 100 steps long, but boy howdy was it impressive.

Walther P38 Pistol mode(not my photo):

he basically explodes apart in order to reform into the gun mode. It's amazing and one of the most impressive feats of engineering in a toy I've ever seen.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's always a Hitler, a steampunk robot bird drill thing(?), and a lighthouse.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

please keep your physical toys for children out of this forum dedicated to electronic toys for children

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Clearly that actually belongs in TFR, not games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ken Levine: America's Bad Boy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I didn't mind Bioshock Infinite. All the criticism is valid, but all the same. The beginning was awesome, and a lot of the side world building stuff was cool, like the modern music covers and such. Combat was meh. The story needed more of those twins. I loved playing through with Elizabeth.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

This is really cool and I'm glad they finally made a cool Megatron G1 cartoon toy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cowcaster posted:

please keep your physical toys for children out of this forum dedicated to electronic toys for children
I'm on to your plan to stop me, Cowscream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh wow, did they finally stop the orange tip for guns for him? I kinda hated that because how ugly it looked.

• Locked thread