Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
How can you say front wheel drive is not more efficient. You don't even need the back half of the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Vanagoon posted:

How can you say front wheel drive is not more efficient. You don't even need the back half of the car.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

um excuse me posted:

Probably not engine related or I probably would have heard something at work about it by now.

If they've just gone with "mechanical failure", that could mean a whole host of things on one of those, right?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BloodBag posted:

Texas used to have two stickers on the windshield of cars. One was your registration, which required proof of insurance to renew, and the other is your annual inspection sticker. They would both have the month and year they're due so that officers can look at them quickly to see if you're current on both.

Now they have the 'Texas Two-Step' which is a quaint, Texasy way of requiring a passing mark on an annual insection to renew registration, and only one sticker. In the past, disreputable shops would get paid a few bucks under the table and give you a new sticker for inspection. Now you have to have your results put into a system that will get pinged when you want to renew registration.

Before this, you could just get a fake sticker and be on your way in your horrible hazard to everyone on the road. Now, if you don't pass inspection, you don't get renewal. What people do now is scrape the registration stickers off and print out a fake paper tag and tape it to the back of their heaps. I've seen tags that say 2011 ford fusion on the back of those banana shaped mercedes cars (CLS?) I've seen fake paper tags taped to license plates. TX law states you have to take your tags off the car at sale, so there you go.

You know when a car has a check engine light that makes it fail inspection because you'll see paper tags on ancient shitheaps like early 2000's hyundai accents with 4 different body panel colors.

TX only requires pulling the tags when sold by a dealer. If it's a person to person sale, the tags can stay, or the seller can keep them. That's a relatively recent change - they used to always stay on the car in a private sale.

But it's $30 and a printer to get a 30 day tag.. renewable 3 times. But yeah, even printing a fake tag isn't a big deal, so long as a bored cop doesn't run the tags and wonder why a tag for a 2005 Cadillac is on a 1999 Kia.

I'm ashamed to admit one of my coworkers has been driving his car like that for a year. It's a beat to poo poo Hyundai of some sort (whatever their high end car in the early 00s was), with a nasty misfire; it's pretty much a rolling superfund site.

There's not a whole lot stopping a shop from faking a car through the inspection either. Plug it into a different car, or if it's not OBD2, just stick the sniffer in a known clean car. I don't think the inspection computer queries the VIN on OBD2 here (they might, but these are ancient DOS-based machines from the 90s - they struggle badly enough just printing off the reports).

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Vanagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktlvQgngq90

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Someone hold onto that dog, goddamn.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

EDIT:

fixed because I reposted this same event

B4Ctom1 posted:

Left home for a meeting 10 minutes early in my 2009 Outback. 40 minutes for a 30 minute trip. 10 miles of gravel county road and then a short trip on the interstate into town. I get about 1 mile from the house and move to the edge of the road as a larger truck is coming the opposite direction.

Something must have fallen off a vehicle and migrated to the edge of the road. Still don't know what. I guess I got too close to the edge of the gravel road and found it. When I ran it over, I could hear it clap the underside of the fender a few times, but I could hear the air coming out fast. I can only see a chunk of it sticking out of the tire. What ever was flapping flew out/off. Can wait till I get another wheel, so when they knock the tire off, I can see what it was. I honestly think it was a tool like a screwdriver.

Was dressed in business attire, and still got it changed in 15 minutes, without getting dirty. Only 5 mins late into the meeting room. The boss says, "I was just about to ask where Tom was". Perfect timing.

New wheel is $130 delivered from eBay

So here was the culprit

I asked Rick to save the offending item which I knew would be in the tire still. It looks much longer than it appears in the image, only 6" long. From what I can tell, it appears to be one of those T-handle combination screwdriver/wrench tools provided in someone else's tire change kit. Obviously with the wrench bit broken off, but you can still see the weld that was left over where it attached.

The tire-irony is not lost on me.

I intend to have that wheel patched and used as a full size spare as the spare tire well is sized to accommodate a full sized spare. Putting 60 miles (including 20 miles of sharp gravel road known to kill known good tires) on a safety donut was nerve wracking.

I laughed because the other day I was using a chainsaw and picked up the chainsaw "scrench" and realized that was the object that killed my tire and wheel, not something from a car's tool kit as I previously assumed.

BTW they ended up replacing the tire this month under road hazard because their fix wouldn't hold air when it was cold out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Greetings fellow HF shopper.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Here is the video where they cut the car in half with a loving sawzall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw0Nrw4HqA4

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
That's perfect but now you need a second one so you can race

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

THAT WAS SO SATISFYING

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Did that just randomly let go? I don't see anyone around who appears to be messing with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably had a blister, then it sat out in a hot sun all day soaking up heat.. and pop!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

That car and this .GIF is my new go-to for explaining the concept of Chekov's Gun. :stare:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

rdb posted:

Did that just randomly let go? I don't see anyone around who appears to be messing with it.

If I had to guess, I'd say someone welded a rim with the tyre still on it which started a small fire inside the tyre. I think Work Safe BC has a video on it (not this event, but one in which a worker was killed), and you'll find plenty of written reports of people trying it.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQbKCd3ezrA&t=59s

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nice follow-up pictures.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/three-tonne-tyre-suddenly-explodes-10333725

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, so they just hooked up the air hose and left.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, so they just hooked up the air hose and left.

linked article posted:

Russia

They didn't leave, they went inside to double check their vodka reserves for the day. :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Goddamn that's impressive

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
The article fails to mention the fact that the car was repaired by Russian mechanics and back on the road by the end of the day.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Puddin posted:

The article fails to mention the fact that the car was repaired by Russian mechanics and back on the road by the end of the day.

Its probably a convertible now...

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Its probably a convertible now...

Video located:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw0Nrw4HqA4

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You Am I posted:

So would retreads (is that still a thing) be the boob job of the tyre world?

No, it's the comb-over.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/bqujeEQ.gifv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well it still turns don't it

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I can balance this. This can still be balanced. This is fine. :colbert:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LloydDobler posted:

You Am I posted:

So would retreads (is that still a thing) be the boob job of the tyre world?

No, it's the comb-over.

I'd argue it's hair plugs. Entirely functional but a bit ropey looking up close

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Sagebrush posted:

well it still turns don't it

It turns AND holds air. Don't try to rip me off.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

The Twinkie Czar posted:

It turns AND holds air. Don't try to rip me off.
And i JUST made new threads on it so there's no need to replace it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

underlig posted:

And i JUST made new threads on it so there's no need to replace it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwjtZlFZBIU

oontz oontz oontz

Gets rid of those pesky wear bars, too.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/FkwJmvf.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/FdZViIn.gifv

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Powershift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwjtZlFZBIU

oontz oontz oontz

Gets rid of those pesky wear bars, too.

:stonklol:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drat it, I was sure I could drive to the center of the earth.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The gifs don't show how dire the situation really is.

Powershift posted:

Horrible road failures?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Chevy.

Like a rock.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PainterofCrap posted:

Chevy.

Like In a rock.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

*Record scratch*

Yeah, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got here...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
loving Graboids, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

THIS IS MY HOLE IT WAS MADE FOR ME