Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
In Morrowind pillows are stackable and you can build forts and staircases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the later quest design is actually really cool in the sense that people are sending you on these long-rear end journeys to freaky ancient temples and ruins, the game really just depends on how much you enjoy walking through the world and i did a great deal because the world of morrowind is very weird and cool-looking

the main quest design does get a bit lovely when it has you just sort of talking to a bunch of people but the house telvanni part makes up for it, becuase instead of everyone being insanely boring councilmen you're having to make due with whatever form of levitation you can get your hands on to climb up giant mushroom towers to try and gain the loyalty of a senile 300+ year old lady who hates men and being given a bunch of options to try and charm her that only result in making her hate you forever

also, bandai namco has released a trailer for their new game from the god eater team and it's just anime dark souls with what sounds like music from the better Tales of composer which could end up either being really cool or complete poop but either way it's probably gonna have an assload of cool music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w1hnry4xQ

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dark souls is cool and all but please stop making them all the time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

the later quest design is actually really cool in the sense that people are sending you on these long-rear end journeys to freaky ancient temples and ruins, the game really just depends on how much you enjoy walking through the world and i did a great deal because the world of morrowind is very weird and cool-looking

the main quest design does get a bit lovely when it has you just sort of talking to a bunch of people but the house telvanni part makes up for it, becuase instead of everyone being insanely boring councilmen you're having to make due with whatever form of levitation you can get your hands on to climb up giant mushroom towers to try and gain the loyalty of a senile 300+ year old lady who hates men and being given a bunch of options to try and charm her that only result in making her hate you forever

also, bandai namco has released a trailer for their new game from the god eater team and it's just anime dark souls with what sounds like music from the better Tales of composer which could end up either being really cool or complete poop but either way it's probably gonna have an assload of cool music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9w1hnry4xQ

"What if we made Bloodborne but with a more generic art style" isn't the best intro to anything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's from the people of GodEaters, which means it's going to feel sucky hitting and getting hit.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
basically all i care about is that the game will have good music and i'll listen to it independent of the game itself

historically most of the games go shiina gets to compose for are either kind of mediocre or tales of legendia so i can accept having another bad game with good music done by him

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the quest design sucks cause half of the instructions you get are just straight up wrong so you end up looking for a mine on the other side of the island

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's part of the challenge, obvs

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

dark souls is cool and all but please stop making them all the time

I just want like, a two year break between souls like games at least.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
from will take a break from releasing souls games until i've finally played all of them which should only take until 2024

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Davincie posted:

the quest design sucks cause half of the instructions you get are just straight up wrong so you end up looking for a mine on the other side of the island

I mean 15 yr old dipshit me managed to figure that game out on Xbox so I doubt that "half of the instructions" were wrong.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Some chain-quest allows you to kill the leader and bypass everything.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I don't know if you mean that to be a knock against the game, but it's not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the part where you can just murder vivec and sacrifice a huge chunk of your health to have yagrum-bagarn fix wraithguard for you with the only way to possibly know you could do this be thanks to reading a couple of scrolls that sort of vaguely mention it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm cool with more souls games, but the setting needs to be something From hasn't already done

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm cool with more souls games, but the setting needs to be something From hasn't already done

RobotArmorSouls from the amazing people who brought you Lords of the Fallen is coming out this month. Please enjoy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Mr E posted:

I just want like, a two year break between souls like games at least.

Umm so why don't you go ahead and take the break regardless of any release schedule?

Lots of other games coming out too! And plenty of stuff that is already out that is nothing like souls games!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey RPG thread, they've got Altieir Sophie on sale for the PS4 and Vita. Is the PS4 version noticeably/insufferably janky or should I go Vita?

Also Altier Eschatology Vita is on sale, get the gently caress on that vita owners.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They finally put Altelier Shallie on PS Now, so the whole dusk trilogy is available.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Hey RPG thread, they've got Altieir Sophie on sale for the PS4 and Vita. Is the PS4 version noticeably/insufferably janky or should I go Vita?

Also Altier Eschatology Vita is on sale, get the gently caress on that vita owners.

The PS4 version doesn't suffer from too much frame rate issues from what I remember, but Sophie's also pretty bare with its environments. I didn't play the Vita version but I'd expect it to chug because that's what's happened with every other one

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Umm so why don't you go ahead and take the break regardless of any release schedule?

Lots of other games coming out too! And plenty of stuff that is already out that is nothing like souls games!

I am, I just would like devs to not spend their time making souls like games and instead try something different. It's not a big deal either way.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah some are pretty hit or miss

but to be fair this souls-like crazy also brought hollow knight, which really cool and good

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Morrowind is a game where at launch there was a quest item, and by that I mean "just siting in a cave existing even if you had never met the questgiver's faction", that was a clothing item that gave you some health and fatigue regeneration.

And by "some" I mean "enough to go swimming in lava and still gain health". You were practically invincible, and it was just in a cave somewhere. Behind a moderately nasty enemy, but you could just grab some high-powered attack scrolls from somewhere else and blow the guy up with them.

A patch changed it to restore 15 health and fatigue on activation, not constant effect. :v:

Davincie posted:

I think while this was a pain in Morrowind, if you actually tried to use the directions in quests instead of the compass marker in Oblivion they were way worse. EDIT: I mean, when they gave you directions at all.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Morrowind was a huge, huge hit, and sometimes it feels like the game that normalized the Bethesda trademark feeling of constantly being on the verge of the game full-on breaking into a million buggy pieces.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'm a huge, biased, nostalgic nerd, but I always enjoyed the atmosphere of Morrowind. Oblivion & Skyrim went the high-fantasy route, but everything in Morrowind is strange?? And there are huge bugs?? Like, the design of several cities are just really neat.

Lack of fast typical fast travel is nice, too. I mean you have silt striders and other things but I liked bumbling off in a random direction, knowing I couldn't easily backtrack to a town or safety blanket :v:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Geop posted:

I'm a huge, biased, nostalgic nerd, but I always enjoyed the atmosphere of Morrowind. Oblivion & Skyrim went the high-fantasy route, but everything in Morrowind is strange?? And there are huge bugs?? Like, the design of several cities are just really neat.

Lack of fast typical fast travel is nice, too. I mean you have silt striders and other things but I liked bumbling off in a random direction, knowing I couldn't easily backtrack to a town or safety blanket :v:
I liked how there was this one faction where if you wanted to get around in their buildings, you needed to be able to fly. (or jump higher than I think you could without abusing alchemy.)

And even the "Easily backtrack" was mitigatable with Mark and Recall and use of the two types of Intervention scrolls. The Interventions would put you SOMEWHERE in civilization, and you could use the various travel methods to get wherever you actually wanted to go.

EDIT: You only got the one mark to set without some kind of mod, though, so you had to think carefully about how to use it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

I did it, I bought it! It's just Atelier Totori again, but the little improvements are quite welcome.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's getting to be a bit of a bad habit but Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter just dropped on Steam and GoG with little fanfare.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

HGH posted:

It's getting to be a bit of a bad habit but Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter just dropped on Steam and GoG with little fanfare.

Hey sweet. Is this release going to be PC only?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, even XSEED can no longer pretend the PSP is a viable platform in 2017.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Falcom doesn't have psp dev kits anymore on account of it being 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
However amusingly enough I think some of the additions/enhancements that were implemented in the PSP version were backported into this PC release, so that's cool. Sara is a wizard.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've only just started trails 3rd but i think it's pretty safe to say that if you've played and enjoyed the first two,

please buy this video game as soon as possible

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

On Morrowind and directions:

After about 2 days of scouring the map trying to follow the directions given to me in an early mage's guild quest I gave up and bought the guide just for the maps.
Most necessary guide I have ever owned.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Given the golden week sale, which of the following games are worth getting?

Atelier Sophie (I generally like atelier games but not enough to accept bad entrants like Atelier Iris 3)
Exist Archive (I loved VP2 but I assume that a clone would have to be good to recapture the magic)
Odin Sphere Leifhtiuhrfwnjfnk (I enjoyed the original Odin Sphere but going back found it interminably long with way too much padding in dungeons)
Tales of Berseria (I'm pretty burned out on Tales in general but I've heard this one is way better than usual so I want to hear the pitch assuming I don't like Tales games usually)

Thanks!

e: also Fate/Extella. I liked Hyrule Warriors but apparently Extella is a ripoff of warriors rather than being made by the same company?

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 3, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Atelier Sophie is okay in a vacuum I think but pretty weak compared to other options and I think Firis should be better? Haven't heard much about that one

Exist archive is bad

Odin sphere fixes pretty much all issues with the original and is fun but a tad easy

Berseria is a v good tales game but doesn't break ground for the series besides being a good, complete game so might wanna sit on it if you're burned out

Extella is a decent musou but it's a spinoff of a big VN franchise so while it's not incomprehensible it has a lot of plot in that series' vein

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Jesus Christ don't buy exist Archive

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ODIN SPHERE rules and you should def get it if you like side scrolling action gameplay. It demolishes every problem from the original.

Berseria is super fun but doesn't like reinvent the Tales formula. It's kinda like Graces if you've played that, where every move you can do is an arte and everyone's got pretty pronounced gameplay gimmicks. Playing as Velvet is basically easy mode due to her consume claw gimmick and it rules. It's got a weirdly bad TL job for in game tutorials and skits though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of berseria is a game about taking a really unusual, interesting look at morality and the portrayal of heroes and villains, and also a whole lot more than that, and focuses on a group of people that in most tales games would probably be the bad guys you'd be trying to beat up for most of the game, but in terms of gameplay and stuff it still plays like standard tales so if it's the gameplay you're burned out on then you might wanna go ahead and take a break. it's mostly just a really incredibly well-written game with a really unusual tone that doesn't pull any punches but also doesn't just go full-on with mega edge

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'll probably get Odin Sphere and maybe Fate/Extella then. I do like Fate and played Fate/Extra so I don't have any plot concerns, just concerns about quality as a warriors ripoff.