Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Homemade vegan Spaghettios

"Due to the spices I used, the flavor is only vaguely reminiscent of spaghettios, but the texture is definitely similar!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I thought people might get a chuckle from my cake disaster. So many things went wrong but the most visible is that I made the wrong frosting for creating a design on the top and then just went "gently caress it!" and did what I could:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

"Due to the spices I used, the flavor is only vaguely reminiscent of spaghettios, but the texture is definitely similar!"

The stock needs to be blended a hell of a lot better, but otherwise that doesn't look terrible

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Random Stranger posted:

I thought people might get a chuckle from my cake disaster. So many things went wrong but the most visible is that I made the wrong frosting for creating a design on the top and then just went "gently caress it!" and did what I could:

Is that a circuit diagram?

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Which food group does a circuit diagram belong to?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Is that a circuit diagram?

I started trying to draw the schematic of an opamp on it. Then things started to go very wrong.

About the only success in my frosting is that people can go, "Oh, I can kind of see it!" :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing that a lot of people have to get over with food is that a lot of dishes(especially restaurant dishes, but just generally any time someone else is cooking for you) may have one or two ingredients in them that you may not typically like, but when you eat everything together it tastes great and you don't even notice that one thing you thought you didn't like. Or even better, the dish ends up showing you a way that certain ingredients can be prepared that you actually do like.

Sushi probably is the cuisine that taught me this. Sushi always has at least several different ingredients in it, and you're not supposed to focus on this one or that one, just pop it in your mouth and experience it all at once, as intended. There's really no such thing as tentatively eating a piece of sushi, you go all in or you don't eat it at all. It helps develop the ability to just say "gently caress it I'm tasting this with an open mind".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Food is a blend of ingredients that taste better together is the sort of thing that's really only a revolutionary idea to picky or mono eaters.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zedprime posted:

Food is a blend of ingredients that taste better together is the sort of thing that's really only a revolutionary idea to picky or mono eaters.

Like my sister, who preferred divided plates and--when faced with a normal, single-area plate--would create elaborate systems of leverage and barriers to prevent liquid from one side--probably loose corn--from getting into another side--fake mashed potatoes--and gravy from the meat from mingling with either. Peas wouldn't touch her plate, she wouldn't and won't eat green.

Now, imagine a bunch of mashed potatoes, corn, peas, and meat all jumbled together with gravy. Sounds loving amazing, right? She would literally yell at you if you subjected her to such a torment. She would sooner collect bags of dog feces from the park and spoon the collected, noxious paste into her mouth than even sit at the table with the horror of "food touching."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

Oh yea, ideally its something you learn by the time youre like 8 or 10 years old. If its a revolutionary thing and you're in your 20's, that's a problem.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 16:33 on May 3, 2017

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

The stock needs to be blended a hell of a lot better, but otherwise that doesn't look terrible

:yikes:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

what always gets me about poo poo like this is that the dish is always just loving filthy. like they dropped a ladle of the food in from 6 feet up and it just sloshes all over the loving place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Like my sister, who preferred divided plates and--when faced with a normal, single-area plate--would create elaborate systems of leverage and barriers to prevent liquid from one side--probably loose corn--from getting into another side--fake mashed potatoes--and gravy from the meat from mingling with either. Peas wouldn't touch her plate, she wouldn't and won't eat green.

Now, imagine a bunch of mashed potatoes, corn, peas, and meat all jumbled together with gravy. Sounds loving amazing, right? She would literally yell at you if you subjected her to such a torment. She would sooner collect bags of dog feces from the park and spoon the collected, noxious paste into her mouth than even sit at the table with the horror of "food touching."

I mean, I wouldn't want to just mix all that poo poo together either but I wouldn't whine about it merely touching. They're is a pretty large middle ground between demanding sperate plate sections and eating everything out of a blender.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Now, imagine a bunch of mashed potatoes, corn, peas, and meat all jumbled together with gravy. Sounds loving amazing, right?

The Bloop posted:

I mean, I wouldn't want to just mix all that poo poo together either but I wouldn't whine about it merely touching. They're is a pretty large middle ground between demanding sperate plate sections and eating everything out of a blender.

That's called Shepard's Pie, my dude.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

what always gets me about poo poo like this is that the dish is always just loving filthy. like they dropped a ladle of the food in from 6 feet up and it just sloshes all over the loving place.
This is how I eat if you replace bowl with my mouth.

Serious post ladling anything is going to look like poo poo without plating skills and plating skills are about the last thing I''m worried about when cooking but I'm also not taking pictures of my food.

The greatest problem with that stew is making a tomato and grain stew and feeling the need to equate it to vegan spaghettios.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zedprime posted:

This is how I eat if you replace bowl with my mouth.

Serious post ladling anything is going to look like poo poo without plating skills and plating skills are about the last thing I''m worried about when cooking but I'm also not taking pictures of my food.

The greatest problem with that stew is making a tomato and grain stew and feeling the need to equate it to vegan spaghettios.

I just have one of those emergency showers that you see in factories, but it pours lukewarm cream of mushroom soup out instead of water.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Two incredibly bland pizzas and one really loving dumb one.

First pizza looks close to perfect. What are you one of those Chicago freaks?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Spot on. That's how bad it was, you couldn't make A Dish, it had to be separate bits, and none of it green.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the only thing not vegan about regular spaghettios is the cheese :psyduck: they didn't try very hard

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oh thank GOD, the McDonald's in Paris and Chicago aka two of the biggest food cities on this planet have automated ordering machines. THANK GOD MY LORD GOD AND JESUS

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I can't even fathom putting up with someone being that broken about food, as a spouse or child or whatever. The mind boggles.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Snoo posted:

the only thing not vegan about regular spaghettios is the cheese :psyduck: they didn't try very hard

The thing that annoys me about vegan food is that everything has to be a copy of something else. It can't just be couscous with tomato sauce and vegetables, it's got to be "VEGAN SPAGHETTIOS!"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

At a glance I thought the olives formed a swastika and was kinda relieved for a second, because then there's a reason.

Anyway, if there was an olive swastika on that spread of beige, at least all you fuckers would finally understand the importance of rules and regulations regarding pizza and assorted doughs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Televisio Frankus posted:

Which food group does a circuit diagram belong to?
Pizza.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bubblyblubber posted:

At a glance I thought the olives formed a swastika and was kinda relieved for a second, because then there's a reason.

Anyway, if there was an olive swastika on that spread of beige, at least all you fuckers would finally understand the importance of rules and regulations regarding pizza and assorted doughs.

Olives and peanut butter on bread is a sandwich

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

The thing that annoys me about vegan food is that everything has to be a copy of something else. It can't just be couscous with tomato sauce and vegetables, it's got to be "VEGAN SPAGHETTIOS!"

more like spaghettilumps

(I enjoyed meat substitutes and certain faux-meat/dairy/egg things when I was vegetarian and vegan a long time ago but if I revisited that diet now, I'd emphasize vegetables and stuff on their own as opposed to TVP and soy nuggets and poo poo, you know?)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Oh thank GOD, the McDonald's in Paris and Chicago aka two of the biggest food cities on this planet have automated ordering machines. THANK GOD MY LORD GOD AND JESUS

Off to Paris to eat a lovely hamburger!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Off to Paris to eat a lovely hamburger!

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

They don't understand what the gently caress a 1/4 Pounder w/Cheese is...

Anyway, I have a friend who is of the "food can't touch each other" variety. Not so much a picky eater in regards to what's on the plate, just picky that it cannot loving touch, ever. And she eats each item completely before moving to the next. And she's from Ohio. I kinda thought there was tons of food touching/mixing going on at those church basement gatherings, but I guess she missed out or something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RandomZero posted:

They don't understand what the gently caress a 1/4 Pounder w/Cheese is...

Anyway, I have a friend who is of the "food can't touch each other" variety. Not so much a picky eater in regards to what's on the plate, just picky that it cannot loving touch, ever. And she eats each item completely before moving to the next. And she's from Ohio. I kinda thought there was tons of food touching/mixing going on at those church basement gatherings, but I guess she missed out or something.

:wiggle:

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Bubblyblubber posted:

That "spread of beige" is peanut butter you loving weirdo.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That cardboard looks in danger of collapsing at any second.

sogbox 2

Bubblyblubber posted:

it's loss.pbj

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

vegan cinnamon toast crunch

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Natto does not deserve the title of 'beans'

Natto deserves nothing but a one way ticket to the sun.

I mentioned it before but it is pretty hilarious that an entire stage of a video game released in this year centers around Natto

The Snoo posted:

I'm curious as to what triggers a gag reflex/food aversion to raw vegetables and certain textures, I don't have any of that but my husband does and it's frustrating sometimes. I've managed to cook things so they have a better texture (onions cooked until the crunch is gone [but he eats apples and it's like the same texture??], homemade kale chips, marinating and dehydrating zucchini slices into chips, etc.) but I don't get poo poo like how he dislikes tomatoes but eats pizza or enjoys my chili that's full of tomato and peppers???? like I know certain things literally make him nauseous or throw up but I can't understand it personally :(

thank gently caress for kale chips tbh I don't think he'd eaten anything green in the decade before we met

e: or like he won't test pasta by eating it and can't handle plain/just buttered pasta (gotta have the ol shakey cheese on it but I add spices and poo poo to it at least) but he'll eat ramen noodles sautéed in soy sauce and garlic??? they're the same texture! augh!

For me at least it has partially to do with my Autism, I'm lucky that my condition is fairly mild in most regards but I do suffer from adverse reactions to certain sensations and textures, especially when it comes to food, although I have definitely been working on improving the variety of foods I'll eat

NinjaDebugger posted:

Childhood trauma, in my case. Ruined tomatoes for me forever.

Had something similar occur to me as a kid with zucchini, was served fried zucchini and since I had never seen it before I thought they were chicken nuggets so I grabbed one and took a big bite and well wasn't expecting the texture zucchini has, so I ended up barfing from that, my grandpa got really mad at me for that, that experience kept me from eating zucchini for about a decade, kinda ironic that these days I really like fried zucchini

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

The Snoo posted:

I mean, pasta is generally made with eggs. I can't speak for factory produced canned spaghetti rings though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

And I happen to not like that particular dish.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I mean, pasta is generally made with eggs. I can't speak for factory produced canned spaghetti rings though.

Fresh pasta is generally made with eggs. Store-bought dry pasta is generally just wheat. I have no idea what goes into pre-cooked tinned pasta.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

https://www.campbells.com/spaghettios/spaghettios-original-14-2oz-can/ here we go

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

And I happen to not like that particular dish.

Fair enough, but do you dislike it because of autistic obsession with foods touching, or because you just don't like it?

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 23:55 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Random Stranger posted:

It looks like a cake you'd order while swimming up and down the coast of cinnabar island.