Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I tried to get soba today. There was a power outage so the place was closed.
:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I tried to get soba today, then I saw that I was going to have to go to Noodle Theory, and noped out. (Fusion ramen. *shudder*)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I tried to get soba today too but this city is infatuated with ramen so there's no good soba places. I wish was still in Tokyo because even a cheap chain store had better soba than over here.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i dont know what soba is, i know its noodles and it looks like the word soda but the d is backwards

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've only had cold buckwheat noodles, I think.

Cold soba, naengmyeon, makguksu, etc.

Love me some naengmyeon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

i dont know what soba is, i know its noodles and it looks like the word soda but the d is backwards

Delicious buckwheat noodles usually served cold. You pick it up, dip it in uh soba sauce, then slurp it down. Usually eaten with delicious tempura. It's all over the place in Japan but I imagine it's much less common outside of it, but I can't be certain since I'd never been far out of suburban Florida before moving here.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You can *sort* of get the same experience with 'tsukemen ramen', but the noodles aren't the same (obviously) and it's more like a deconstruction of ramen as opposed to imitating soba.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
gently caress now i want some of Tsujita's tsukemen.

If anyone ever goes to LA, go to Tsujita. It's the best.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I use soba noodles to make things that aren't soba.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

gently caress now i want some of Tsujita's tsukemen.

If anyone ever goes to LA, go to Tsujita. It's the best.

gonna get some for lunch on Monday

definitely not as light and refined as soba though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Got bored. Got ramen. Then went looking for something to tide me over through Golden Week.

Have a recorded segment from NPR on food manga. Shokugeki no Soma features somewhat prominently.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/08/488385808/food-manga-where-culture-conflict-and-cooking-all-collide

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oishinbo is written by Tetsu Kariya, who is very opinionated about food and creates drama about growing and cooking it. "It's kind of controversial," says Aoki. "He defends eating whale meat, the history of it, how delicious, how dare anyone tell us not to."

"Tetsu Kariya has a very progressive, political stance," adds Lorie Brau, associate professor of Japanese Foreign Languages and Literature at the University of New Mexico, "He embeds these social messages inside his manga."

One of Oishinbo's chief concerns is foreign influences. How do you maintain the important aspects of your culture while still engaging with the world at large? The manga uses food as a lens to address Japan's place in the world.

There is culinary nationalism in many of these manga. As Japan recovered economically in the '80s, competition with the United States was a main issue. In an Oishinbo episode called Rice Wars, an American diplomat wants the Japanese to buy American rice.

"The character, Yamaoka Shiro, explains how important rice is as part of everyday Japanese life — not only as a food, but rice is holy in a sense. Rice farmers are protected. They have a sacred place in Japanese society," Brau says.

Reading that manga must be like opening a page to a fresh new fart in your face

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oishinbo's pretty good art wise, the food pics are really good, but it is ironically like the uppity gourmet father character in of itself.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The new ova episode should be coming out in like a week

I'm really hopeful there'll be a season 3 announcement in it or not long after

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
http://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/213/4229/1

Consider me unimpressed by how this battle went.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

http://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/213/4229/1

Consider me unimpressed by how this battle went.

They should've just gone to the verdict in this chapter since the cliffhanger is pretty much expected (and possibly predictable) at this point.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Xelkelvos posted:

They should've just gone to the verdict in this chapter since the cliffhanger is pretty much expected (and possibly predictable) at this point.

Unless there's a Shyamalan-like twist where it turns out that it was Subaru instead of Soma, and his channeling of Soma was so good that no one noticed.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i dont even read all the food theory stuff anymore, they should hurry this crap up and get to THE INTERNATIONAL STAGE

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I like Souma and all but the focus doesn't need to be on him every loving time

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly I'm much more interested in how the former Elite 10 guys do against the Elite 10 rookies than how the protagonist did a noodle dish good.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The only way this cliffhanger ending is deserved is if Souma loses.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

somebody should cook soma already

i bet thats the director dad guys specialty - people

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

somebody should cook soma already

i bet thats the director dad guys specialty - people

It's Rindou's

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This is a very dry chapter.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean, my problem with this is that he just went up against an Elite 10's specialty and beat her by using his DINER INGENUITY. That's the same story of every dish he's made, including the first shokugeki against Nikumi. All that needs to happen at this point is that Nene falls in love with him afterwards and its the same exact plot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Elite Ten are looking more and more like a joke, really, and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Eizen, I can understand being a joke because he literally did not take Souma and co. seriously and that reflected in his versus match with him.

This is ehhhhhhh /hand gestures

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm pretty sure Souma is about to take the L.

It makes no sense to cliffhanger it with Souma going last if he wins.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
This is a team battle right? What if Souma loses and naked-apron senpai and big-sword senpai both win? They all pass then right?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah that cliffhanger line is reading like "In objective terms we can't give Souma the win, but his dish had no right to be as good as it was, much less competitive" to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dexo posted:

every shokugeki judgment is a cliffhanger, whether it makes sense or not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChronoReverse posted:

This is a team battle right? What if Souma loses and naked-apron senpai and big-sword senpai both win? They all pass then right?

If the other two pass Souma's still eliminated afaik.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the other two pass Souma's still eliminated afaik.

yeah, other people on his team can (and definitely will) lose, but souma and erina are safe until the final round at least.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It'll probably be the same thing where in Soma's the soba was the star as opposed to glasses soba where the soba didn't stand out enough or something.

Or maybe he loses!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, my problem with this is that he just went up against an Elite 10's specialty and beat her by using his DINER INGENUITY. That's the same story of every dish he's made, including the first shokugeki against Nikumi. All that needs to happen at this point is that Nene falls in love with him afterwards and its the same exact plot.

While the super bad luck of actually picking her specialty was a decent enough gag, using another ingredient that let her also use her Soba skills while Souma did something else would have been better. Souma using unexpected techniques is fine, but beating a master in their discipline because he always did love Cup O' Raman isn't actually that satisfying a payoff.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

While the super bad luck of actually picking her specialty was a decent enough gag, using another ingredient that let her also use her Soba skills while Souma did something else would have been better. Souma using unexpected techniques is fine, but beating a master in their discipline because he always did love Cup O' Raman isn't actually that satisfying a payoff.

He might have picked it on purpose, the flashback this chapter shows he knew about it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

How could he pick a random thing on purpose? Did he also train elite cheating skills?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

How could he pick a random thing on purpose? Did he also train elite cheating skills?

By picking out when he saw it

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dexo posted:

You're expecting Soma to lose the first round? It's not happening unless the arc turns out to be a red herring becuase the entire Rebel faction other than Erina loses instantly and then she just one-shots all of Central.

net work error posted:

It'll probably be the same thing where in Soma's the soba was the star as opposed to glasses soba where the soba didn't stand out enough or something.

Or maybe he loses!

Because I guess she's a soba master that sucks at soba?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Soma actually has quite a record of losing battles whenever it's possible for him to without instantly being expelled or whatever. Since the team battle structure doesn't require him to win at all costs, I'd actually be somewhat surprised if he never loses in this sequence. Even if it's just at the very end to Tsakasa, letting Erina finish it.