Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Just picked up that $69 Costco toolset. For the first time I'm working on SAE hardware so I needed something replace the random assortment of (some very nice, mid century Proto, SK and Craftsman) hand-me-downs that I have around, and be convent to take with me.
I think the set should be serve me well on both accounts. The casting and plating on the tools looks good, not great. The wrenches feel decent, though the 1/4" has a flex head with no detent at straight, only at the limits of its range which irks me a little. :spergin: Selection is pretty good, I think I'd be able to disassemble most of my vehicles, only getting stopped by crank pulleys or suspension bits that require something larger than 19mm. The case is also good, tools are held nice and tight and the hinges have pins instead of flexing a pice of plastic.
Rating 8/10 will purchase again in 2021 when I've lost all the useful bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

I can't believe I've never heard that before, that's amazing

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah the Costco toolset got some use from me with a brake job over the weekend. I love having everything in a case, it's so much more convenient than digging around a bag. I also like that the sockets have a knurled part so you can grab them and twist by hand too. Overall pretty happy with it too.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Hoser freight is amazing but none of my friends will get it :(

What about DeWalt stuff? Amazon.ca has decent pricing on theirs.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Need advice on a power washer for some light duty round the house jobs. The side of the house is covered in green algea. I've done plenty of shop floors but never siding. Do I need the special soap poo poo they tried selling me at home depot? Also will it gently caress up stucko? And is an electric power washer not even worth looking into?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I rented an electric pressure washer and with 110v, you're better off filling your mouth with water and spitting it at whatever you're trying to clean. You have to choose between cleaning a 1mm square, or barely having more pressure than a garden hose with a nozzle.

I've seen soft and hard stuccos. if you're worried about it, you should probably go with the chemicals, you could probably get away with a cleaner and handle on a hose. Personally i'd use a decent pressure washer and a rotary nozzle and just not get any closer than i need to.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Gotcha harbor freight worth a look or should I just get something decent and be done with it.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Horror Fraught is the best nickname.

Speaking of which, my HF angle grinder's spindle lock poo poo the bed the second time I've gone to use it. Annoying, but not unexpected.

If I went up to the $40 tier grinders (looking at Bosch & Hitachi on amazon) would I be getting a much better tool? Or do I really have to go up to $80-120 to get something that will last a while?

My use case is filming b-roll to hipster videos and occasionally cleaning rust off old things and covering up the fact my welding looks like comorbid hemorrhoids and HPV. I don't think I need variable speed, just the ability to grind, cut and use a brush cup. HF's 5amp was enough power, so 6/7amp should be great.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I don't think the harbor freight pressure washers are much cheaper than one from lowes or HD. They are all pretty much universally sketchy if they have an axial pump.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

monsterzero posted:

Horror Fraught is the best nickname.

Speaking of which, my HF angle grinder's spindle lock poo poo the bed the second time I've gone to use it. Annoying, but not unexpected.

If I went up to the $40 tier grinders (looking at Bosch & Hitachi on amazon) would I be getting a much better tool? Or do I really have to go up to $80-120 to get something that will last a while?

My use case is filming b-roll to hipster videos and occasionally cleaning rust off old things and covering up the fact my welding looks like comorbid hemorrhoids and HPV. I don't think I need variable speed, just the ability to grind, cut and use a brush cup. HF's 5amp was enough power, so 6/7amp should be great.

I am a big fan of the cheap bosch ones, spin just fine and have lasted many years.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I've got a hand-me-down Husky 110v that worked pretty good until the hose connect gasket thing (?) broke off. I need to look to see if I can get replacement part...

e: although, I've never used a gas washer, and I did stick my hand in the blast like a dumbass and I didn't die, so my anecdote may be way off. Resist the temptation to stick your hand in the jetstream, it'll gently caress you up

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
I have a Karcher electric 1800 PSI, 12 years old or so, I guess. I've replaced the hose/gun to a nonproprietary style from Tractor Supply just so I can use a foam cannon for car washing. It's great for that. Driveway and walk cleaning is ok.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This is a bit unusual but maybe y'all can help me --

I need a door closer for a light interior door. I tried spring hinges, but they lose their oomph a the end of the swing, so they don't swing the door fully closed, as it doesn't have enough momentum to overcome the air pressure. This is a problem because the goddamn dog keeps pushing (the door swings inward) into the goddamn closet and shedding all over the place.

Do I really need to spring (punintentional) for a hydraulic door closer? Are there light duty hydraulic ones that aren't $60-70? Is there something I'm potentially overlooking in solutions?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

This is a bit unusual but maybe y'all can help me --

I need a door closer for a light interior door. I tried spring hinges, but they lose their oomph a the end of the swing, so they don't swing the door fully closed, as it doesn't have enough momentum to overcome the air pressure. This is a problem because the goddamn dog keeps pushing (the door swings inward) into the goddamn closet and shedding all over the place.

Do I really need to spring (punintentional) for a hydraulic door closer? Are there light duty hydraulic ones that aren't $60-70? Is there something I'm potentially overlooking in solutions?

You could get the kind for a screen door, which is hydraulic, but like $15. Meant for a light door, but a glass screen door is really the same weight as a hollow core interior door anyway. Mounted up high it's out of the way, use the hole on the ram meant for full glass.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

You could get the kind for a screen door, which is hydraulic, but like $15. Meant for a light door, but a glass screen door is really the same weight as a hollow core interior door anyway. Mounted up high it's out of the way, use the hole on the ram meant for full glass.

Can this be mounted on the interior of the closet door? I was looking at those, but I wasn't sure if you can only mount those to pull a door closed, not push it closed from the hinge side.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Alternatively get a locking interior doorknob (like for bathrooms with just a pushbutton and no key) and swap out the closet door handle (assuming it's an open in/out kind of closet door and not a pocket door).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm confused, because mounting it inside of my closet would be pulling it shut. It mounts on the jamb side of the door, on the hinge side of the frame and pulls it shut.

Edit, I reread what you put and ok I see what you mean now, it must be like a big walk in or a pantry type door. Either mount the screen door kind up high and live with seeing it or spring the $60 for a residential overhead closer.

Or go with a new handle, which is clever too, but does require you to positively latch it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mod sassinator posted:

Alternatively get a locking interior doorknob (like for bathrooms with just a pushbutton and no key) and swap out the closet door handle (assuming it's an open in/out kind of closet door and not a pocket door).

The problem isn't that the door doesn't lock, its that when we 'lazily' close the door, the latch doesn't always get seated in the strike plate and close.

This allows the smart rear end dog to push it with his nose and see if he can lay under my hung clothes. It's cute, but the amount of fur everywhere isn't.

StormDrain posted:

I'm confused, because mounting it inside of my closet would be pulling it shut. It mounts on the jamb side of the door, on the hinge side of the frame and pulls it shut.

It's a walk-in, with the hinged side inside the closet. I want something that isn't going to be visible while the closet is closed.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 3, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm confused at how spring hinges aren't doing the job. I have them on the door to my garage, which is a solid core door, and the only way it won't self latch is if I don't give it enough of an open to start with.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

The problem isn't that the door doesn't lock, its that when we 'lazily' close the door, the latch doesn't always get seated in the strike plate and close.

This allows the smart rear end dog to push it with his nose and see if he can lay under my hung clothes. It's cute, but the amount of fur everywhere isn't.

It's a walk-in, with the hinged side inside the closet. I want something that isn't going to be visible while the closet is closed.

https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Royal-43...91MEH0PG1H0Y7XD

That is really your best direct option, in my mind.

You could install a vent in the door, or trim the undercut to give air a path but it's not likely, if the door latch can be modified a little so it latches easier that may help (is it out of alignment, or need to be elongated so it engages sooner?) does the hardware need a little graphite so it operates easier, you could install a heavier door I guess.

If you can't fix it for free by making it easier to latch it's hard to be a $35 door closer (which I swear was $60 when I bought one last).

Edit: IOC, the garage has so much airspace that it compresses easier, the walk in closet likely doesn't have a heating vent or much for leaks so the door gets slowed at the end and the spring can't overcome that last bit without the momentum. I guess you could replace all three (if you have 3) hinges with springs.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 3, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Royal-43...91MEH0PG1H0Y7XD

That is really your best direct option, in my mind.

Thanks, do you think this should do the job?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm confused at how spring hinges aren't doing the job. I have them on the door to my garage, which is a solid core door, and the only way it won't self latch is if I don't give it enough of an open to start with.

It's that it's a lovely hollow core door that acts like a big parachute to slow it down; solid core doors have enough inertia to overcome air resistance at the end of the swing. Every time I try to close it with inertia it ends with a flaccid *fwwump*.

I'm thinking of getting all solid doors sometime, but that's gonna be pricey.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 3, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

It's that it's a lovely hollow core door that acts like a big parachute to slow it down; solid core doors have enough inertia to overcome air resistance at the end of the swing. Every time I try to close it with inertia it ends with a flaccid *fwwump*.

I'm thinking of getting all solid doors sometime, but that's gonna be pricey.

Ghetto option: make the door heavier by embedding weights in it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The ten dollar one might work but.... I don't know. No reviews, I wouldn't go for it probably. We spec the good 4040xp closers for commercial projects at $200+ each for good reason. Best failure mode is they don't work, worst case is a hydraulic leak.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

Ghetto option: make the door heavier by embedding weights in it.

Crappy construction thread option: fill it with expanding foam.

or 400 lbs of concrete

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 3, 2017

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wasabi the J posted:

Crappy construction thread option: fill it with expanding foam.

Drill holes in the top, drop in bullets and spray foam to distribute the weights evenly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

StormDrain posted:

Drill holes in the top, drop in bullets and spray foam to distribute the weights evenly.

Fill the door with ballistics gel.

If that isnt heavy enough, shoot at it with a .22 pistol.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Platystemon posted:

Fill the door with ballistics gel.

Doomsday Preppers option, fill it with food.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
This is starting to get crazy overkill. Just put a rubbermaid storage container under the hung clothing so the dog can't sit under it. Or teach yourself to close the door. Put a note or rubberband on the knob or something new you'll see every time you touch the closet that reminds you to do it. It will become habit after a few weeks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mod sassinator posted:

This is starting to get crazy overkill. Just put a rubbermaid storage container under the hung clothing so the dog can't sit under it. Or teach yourself to close the door. Put a note or rubberband on the knob or something new you'll see every time you touch the closet that reminds you to do it. It will become habit after a few weeks.

How about no.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
:shrug: It's your house.. personally a giant industrial door closer on a closet would bug the crap out of me looking at it every day. Would probably freak out people touring it in an open house too (and is a pain to remove and fill, sand, paint the holes left by it).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This is why I went with spring hinges originally. Minor repairs for selling are par for the course so I'm not worried about buying a new door worst case. I don't want a huge closer but it seems that's the only option that does what is described.

Also dog lays under clothes by shoving them up. We've tried that. He's just very persistent.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

mod sassinator posted:

:shrug: It's your house.. personally a giant industrial door closer on a closet would bug the crap out of me looking at it every day. Would probably freak out people touring it in an open house too (and is a pain to remove and fill, sand, paint the holes left by it).

One of the more creepier things when we bought my current house (along with the 1,000 other items) was the bedroom doors had keyed locks on them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colostomy Bag posted:

One of the more creepier things when we bought my current house (along with the 1,000 other items) was the bedroom doors had keyed locks on them.
I've seen kitchens with bolts to lock them on the outside of the door. I'm not sure that's more or less worrying.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Wasabi the J posted:

This is why I went with spring hinges originally. Minor repairs for selling are par for the course so I'm not worried about buying a new door worst case. I don't want a huge closer but it seems that's the only option that does what is described.

Also dog lays under clothes by shoving them up. We've tried that. He's just very persistent.

Try one of these. I'm using it at the hackerspace to close our door automatically. It mostly works. It'll probably work better on your door that isn't a metal fire door.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Brown-Safety-Spring-Door-Closer-KC17HD/100552794

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Colostomy Bag posted:

FWIW most locking passage handle sets just have a lock release that can be triggered with a pin. I'd guess the homeowner bought the wrong sets for the application.

Now if they were keyed on both sides that would be weird...

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Just shut the door properly and the problem is solved

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Stick an RFID tag on the dog's collar that triggers a mechanism that sprays the dog with water when it gets near the door.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your dog is defective.

Return it for a replacement.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Or keep an angry cat in the closet at all times. Dog will learn its lesson very soon. Might want to get a hairless cat to avoid more fur issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Safety Dance posted:

Try one of these. I'm using it at the hackerspace to close our door automatically. It mostly works. It'll probably work better on your door that isn't a metal fire door.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Brown-Safety-Spring-Door-Closer-KC17HD/100552794

I am using that very thing to keep a greenhouse door closed. Otherwise my chickens raptor their way in there and lay waste to it all. It works well but I do wish it had more spring tension.