Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Nazzadan posted:

I was like 100 pages behind and skipped to the current page, if I skipped any good stories let me know

Wife [37F] told me that she slept with another woman, am I [37M] an idiot for being angry?

This wouldn't even be a question if it were a man but suddenly it's okay since when he imagines it, it's kind of hot? What an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
He's not ok with it though. He's just stupid for thinking he should be OK with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ross wasnt 37

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
he didn't get to give her the go ahead

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
whats awesome about that is that if he makes the self-respecting and dignified choice, all his friends and most of the world will poo poo on him forever

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

why, given what is shown in the OP, are you expecting dude's life plan to be any more involved than no sex --> marry first girl who'll talk to him --> the Rapture

My [37M] son [16M] "superkicked" my nephew [11M] and knocked 2 of his teeth out. My sister [34F] is demanding I pay the dental bill. I don't have the money.

lol gee I wonder where the kid gets it from

How is that a goddamn prank? How is kicking someone in the face a prank?! Me giving my nephew some of that trick gum that taste like soap (the joke was on us, he didn't even realize it was gag gum until we told him) is a prank, no harm done. Kicking someone in the face is not a prank

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

How is that a goddamn prank? How is kicking someone in the face a prank?! Me giving my nephew some of that trick gum that taste like soap (the joke was on us, he didn't even realize it was gag gum until we told him) is a prank, no harm done. Kicking someone in the face is not a prank

i guess the prank is that he wasnt trying to actually kick him? though i struggle to see how "ha ha, you thought i was going to seriously injure you, but i didnt" is a joke/prank in any meaningful way

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the prank is the OP convinces her family to let their loved ones around her then sics her feral teenager on them and leaves them with the hospital bills

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The prank is making you believe youll always have your teeth.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Prank is generally code for some garbage poo poo a garbage person did under the auspices of being "funny" nowadays, such as pouring ink on your floor and screaming at your child for it or going to a primarily black neighborhood and calling random people friend of the family

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Blue Train posted:

Prank is generally code for some garbage poo poo a garbage person did under the auspices of being "funny" nowadays, such as pouring ink on your floor and screaming at your child for it or going to a primarily black neighborhood and calling random people friend of the family

Bruce Willis did nothing wrong

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
when u think about it, brucie was really the prankee, in that scenario

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
What did bruce do this time?

I [38M] no longer have the temperament to deal with my wife's [37F] conspiracy theorist family. Relationships

quote:

submitted 11 months ago by hanodorc

tl;dr: My in-laws are crazy people and I no longer have the patience to deal with them. How can my wife maintain her relationships with them while I maintain my distance?

My wife and I have been married almost ten years and dated on and off for seven or eight before that. We're both really happy in the relationship but her family is an ongoing stress between us.

My wife's from a large family (she's the middle of nine siblings). We live 1,000 miles away from our hometown and her relations. We get regular visits from my in-laws. Because of the volume of brothers and sisters, it seems like we have guests once every four-to-six weeks. They stay anywhere from a couple of days to a week.

The complaint I have is that they're all (including her parents) full-blown conspiracy theorists. Depending on which one you talk to, they believe in chem-trails, that the earth is flat, that gravity doesn't exist, that Jews want to institute a world-wide currency, that we're only weeks/months/years from Armageddon (not the fun kind with Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck), that Satan planted dinosaur bones in the ground to trick us, that Levi jeans are designed to make you gay, etc. I, on the other hand, believe in none of these things. They also pride themselves on their Christian faith but adhere to none of their rules (ex - pre-marital sex, divorce, blah blah blah).

I don't care if you do or don't believe in these things. If these were random people on the street or friends of friends, I'd just nod and move on. But as they're in-laws, I can't ignore their ongoing crazy talk, especially when there's a new batch of them at our house every six weeks.

Adding to the issue is that my wife is seemingly the only sane person in her family and as such, every problem in the family flows through her. One brother has bad credit because he overspent in preparing for the end of the world. As such, he calls my wife to book him airline tickets because he can't have a credit card. One sister is traveling and needs a car seat for her kid so she calls the other sister and the two of them decide my wife should be in charge of picking out and ordering said car seat. We don't have kids yet somehow, we're trolling Amazon trying to figure out what seat to buy.

So even when they're not visiting, we get a steady influx of batshit requests to process.

When we lived closer to home, the visits weren't as long as we were more accessible. And if someone did stay for a night or two, I could go hide with MY family until they were gone. But now that we're further away, me leaving isn't really feasible. In the past couple of years, I've found myself trapped with my in-laws for a combined two months a year where they give advice like "If you really put your mind to it, you can overcome the guideline of gravity."

My wife knows this is crazy talk and I've been honest in that it drives me around the bend. But she - understandably - wants to have a relationship with her family and wants to help them however she can. The latest suggest that she came up with is that she'll make a point of going to visit her family instead of them coming here. I do appreciate the sentiment but I don't think it's feasible. She'll be away a good chunk of the year to visit her family and it's an expense for us.

Here's my question: What the hell do I do? It's really a nightmare and I don't feel like it's reasonable that I "demand" that there are no more in-law visits. Nor do I want to cut her off from her family. Ideally, my wife would get her family time and I'd get to preserve my sanity.

tl;dr: My in-laws are crazy people and I no longer have the patience to deal with them. How can my wife maintain her relationships with them while I maintain my distance?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Better question, what the hell is a "superkick"?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

when u think about it, brucie was really the prankee, in that scenario

:agreed:

Bubblyblubber posted:

What did bruce do this time?

I [38M] no longer have the temperament to deal with my wife's [37F] conspiracy theorist family. Relationships

He should smoke some weed before going over there, problem solved

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Mooching is incredible, and its why you have to try and marry rich.

You of all people should know that running an upper middle class or upper-class household is a full-time job if done properly. Now, for the people that the stories describe, no, I don't really see it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

A Superkick is the name used when referring to a high side thrust kick attack in wrestling, which sees the wrestler use the sole of the foot to strike an opponent's head or chin, usually preceded by a sidestep, often referred to as a Crescent Kick, or just a Side kick. 

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Pick posted:

You of all people should know that running an upper middle class or upper-class household is a full-time job if done properly. Now, for the people that the stories describe, no, I don't really see it.

It's also a really great value when you consider the free sex that comes with employing a full-time wife.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
28F will work and gently caress for shelter and access to bank account

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Its when you press ~ while playing Duke Nukem 3d, but you have to enable it from the options menu first.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Children are the best job security and you get to bang the boss!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A full-time wife manages the half of your professional life that doesn't actually take place in the workplace. Hell, think about that 40-year-old man who got kicked out by his wife for sleeping with the 20-year-old. The 20-year-old thought that he was a competent and decent human being, and ostensibly so did the rest of the company, but I promise that that was because his wife was taking care of everything that happened outside the workplace and made her husband look like a confident man who is not a total idiot manchild moron. Without her, he is a turbo goon.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Is alimony like an unemployment check

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

A full-time wife manages the half of your professional life that doesn't actually take place in the workplace. Hell, think about that 40-year-old man who got kicked out by his wife for sleeping with the 20-year-old. The 20-year-old thought that he was a competent and decent human being, and ostensibly so did the rest of the company, but I promise that that was because his wife was taking care of everything that happened outside the workplace and made her husband look like a confident man who is not a total idiot manchild moron. Without her, he is a turbo goon.

100% accurate. If you are looking to hire a wife and you dont trust her with your finances you need to look at some more applicants.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Blue Train posted:

A Superkick is the name used when referring to a high side thrust kick attack in wrestling, which sees the wrestler use the sole of the foot to strike an opponent's head or chin, usually preceded by a sidestep, often referred to as a Crescent Kick, or just a Side kick. 

Poppa is really goddamn proud of his kid kicking the nephew's teeth in and makes no secret of it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Who What Now posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Elsa posted:

Is alimony like an unemployment check

Its better, because its government jabbing someone you hate in the ribs every month on your behalf.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pick posted:

Your analogy-of-the-day is stronger today than it has been recently.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Hey internet should I ruin my future with my significant other because of a retarded non issue half a decade ago? I'm leaning towards... yes...?

My boyfriend (26M) just proposed, but I (25F) was unfaithful to him at the start of our relationship (6Y) and I feel the need to confess Infidelity

quote:

568 points 161 comments submitted 1 year ago by onefiftyfive109 to r/relationships

Throw away, obviously.

Allen and I have been dating for six years. We both just completed our masters program in our respective degree fields and after our graduation party, Allen drove me out to the spot where he had first asked me to go out with him (We live in the same town because we both pursued our undergrad degrees at the same college we did our masters in.) He gets me out of the truck, gets down on one knee, and asks me to marry him...

While he's asking me, he's talking about how I'm "different from any woman he's ever met: I'm solid, I'm his best friend, I'm faithful..." And suddenly my heart goes from bursting because I'm so happy to wanting to be sick. Because the thing I've never told Allen is, towards the beginning of our relationship, I had a one-time fling with an ex.

My ex and I had been together for eight months, before I'd even met Allen. When I broke up with him (because he was batshit insane, stalkery, and I found out he was on about six different kinds of drugs and had crashed my car on purpose because he was angry with me) he got suicidal, and because I was the only one he would talk to, his family enlisted my begrudging help. I told Allen what I was up to and he supported me. I would support my ex via text while making it clear nothing was going to happen.

Then Allen and I got in a stupid fight over something silly, like whether we were going to a party together or something, I don't remember. Anyways, me, being 18 and a stupid poo poo, I went over to my ex's house to hang out and we ended up making out. I ended things after about thirty seconds, and a few days later I told him and his family I couldn't talk to him anymore and blocked his number.

I never told Allen because at the time it didn't seem worth the trouble of bringing up. After a string of failed relationships concluding with my ex, I figured that Allen and I probably wouldn't last long anyway... Horrible logic.

Things with Allen were different, though. He was the most functional human being I had ever met. We fought and it wasn't the end of the world. He didn't try to emotionally manipulate me. He didn't cheat on me. He treated me better than anyone ever had. I thought about telling him several times about what happened, but it never seemed like a good time. Then, one night while we were out at dinner he told me in length how much he hated cheaters, and my decision to not tell him ever was solidified.

I almost never think about it. It was a 30 second moment 6 years ago and I haven't seen or heard from that person since that night. I've never cheated since then.

I said yes and we are making preparations for a big church wedding in eight months. We haven't told our family and friends yet, we plan to in a couple of days. But now I'm wondering if I should fess up or if I'm right and it isn't even worth mentioning...

tl;dr My boyfriend of six years proposed to me and I said yes, but now I'm wondering if I should confess to the extremely brief affair I had the first month of our relationship.

Ok, this girl is either a moron or she hosed the sadbrains ex and is lying to reddit. Is nothing sacred anymore?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh also I'm going to see puppies Friday through Sunday so expect lots of fuzzy baby pictures

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ouhei posted:

I'm not. I'm just pointing out that this woman having access to his bank bank account/money is the logical conclusion for their relationship and has been obvious from the get go. That he would be okay with it after they're married but not while they're engaged and planning their wedding is a hilariously weird line to draw. Him equating it out to sex is also hilarious because assuming he really buys into the no sex before marriage thing, it's not comparable at all.

To be clear: I think he's a big dumb dumb that's not actually okay with the fact that his wife has had sex before and clearly never thought about the reality of his wife having no money/income of her own. She's more than likely sleeping with her ex and is thus a terrible person.

If you read his comments it's kinda clear that he finds it fishy that he's the first dude she's been able to resist temptation of, he wants to trust the born again thing but he's obviously getting a bad vibe from her when she goes off and bangs her ex before rubbing it in his face. He also sorta alludes to the idea that yeah if she was willing he'd probably be okay breaking the rules.

The money thing is a separate issue that's he's tied to the sex because in his mind he see's both as a sign of their full commitment to each other which will happen after they get married. There is obviously some logic towards the idea that merged finances will make it easier for her to wedding plan (but there's also a bunch of other easy solutions such as making a joint account for the wedding rather than just giving her unilateral access to his life's savings and income), but he's more looking at the symbolism of the gesture. To him it comes across like the most important part of their relationship to her is access to money.

also I think most financial advisers will tell you not to merge accounts with someone you're not married to cause there are less financial protections. There are procedures for untangling your finances during a divorce, if you're not married and one person wants to they can just straight up take the money and move away.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bubblyblubber posted:

Hey internet should I ruin my future with my significant other because of a retarded non issue half a decade ago? I'm leaning towards... yes...?

My boyfriend (26M) just proposed, but I (25F) was unfaithful to him at the start of our relationship (6Y) and I feel the need to confess Infidelity

Ok, this girl is either a moron or she hosed the sadbrains ex and is lying to reddit. Is nothing sacred anymore?

There is no reason to tell him even assuming she did gently caress him, but making out for 30 seconds wtf

Barudak
May 7, 2007

im genuinely surprised she remembers that event that way. Like with just a litttle effort each day she could easily make herself blur the timelines such as she met her husband the next morning and it would be true. Marriage requires work, and sometimes that work involves not remembering things that didnt happen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

100% accurate. If you are looking to hire a wife and you dont trust her with your finances you need to look at some more applicants.

Absolutely, and in part because any one that you should actually want is going to need to buy quite a few things on your behalf, and having to do weird receipts and reimbursements and accounting shenanigans is not only a hassle but leaves an unnecessary paper trail.

And think about it, men. Wouldn't it be nice if you always looked super well-dressed and awesome? Perfectly tailored suits, exactly the right haircut for your face shape? Don't you think that people would treat you better if you were always dressed as handsomely as possible? Yeah, there is a very good chance that a wife is figuring that stuff out and buying it. That is one example of one of the many benefits of a wife who treats that position with the professional care it deserves.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bubblyblubber posted:

[–]AllenP89 1827 points 1 year ago
Allen here. Made an account and looked this up on break like you asked.
Babe, this is a non issue... I've known about this pretty much since it happened, tbh. You came to class acting weird and then Don actually emailed me himself to talk about how pissed he was you'd stopped talking to him and I kinda pieced it together. Don't stress. I was a bit freaked out back then but I was proud that you immediately cut off contect. I'm kinda glad you didn't tell me though, because that was a conversation 19-year-old me was too awkward to handle haha.
Looking forward to making you a Peterson in eight months. ;) Love you.
Also, your description of how I proposed makes me sound really lame XD
permalinkembedsavegive gold

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Barudak posted:

Its better, because its government jabbing someone you hate in the ribs every month on your behalf.

I really feel like there's a better life to be had when both parents work. You can hire a molly maid, a nanny, a gardener, a poolboy, and then there are the occasionals like plumber and cable guy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In every one of these "he/she doesnt want to work or hold a job" the followup in my head is "how many skin moisturizers and cleansers have they looked up, bought, then nagged you to apply everynight so youre the best smelling and cleanest looking member of your team?" If its 0 they need to go immediately.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

ArbitraryC posted:

That seems like the weirdest part of the story to focus on. I think waiting for marriage is dumb, but even in the context of it being dumb a do-over is obviously extra dumb and so he is incredibly rightfully viewing it as weird that she's gonnna coincidentally choose this one time in her life to forgo sex but still can't wait to get access to his bank account.

Like she's so in the wrong it practically reads like stdh.txt meant to bait other subforums.

e: where is the thread? I wanna read the comments.

You can mess up and not want to do so again, esp. with a brother in the faith. She's trying to keep him from sin as much as she's trying to do that for herself. She's failed, as Jeezy Creezy said if you've thought about it (usually read as dwelled upon and seriously considered it)as this guy has already done, you've essentially already done it, so no dice on helping her Christ-bro out.

Just wanted to kick in some American Christian perspective to help explain her actions there.

E: ha poo poo. Started typing this when my phone died and only finished a long while later. Apparently she's loving an ex?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 3, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

In every one of these "he/she doesnt want to work or hold a job" the followup in my head is "how many skin moisturizers and cleansers have they looked up, bought, then nagged you to apply everynight so youre the best smelling and cleanest looking member of your team?" If its 0 they need to go immediately.

This but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

This but unironically.

My post was so low in irony its anemic.