Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ImpAtom posted:

"Hey, what if a bunch of libertarian assholes tried to make their own underwater city free of the ~parasites~ goes about as well as you expect."

Also, meta-commentary about predestination and the illusion of choice in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bioshlock

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Terper posted:

Off to a good start.

Trails is good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
From YCS, a very long time ago:

quote:

they should call it bayoushock because it's about underwater cities

quote:

no they should call it dioshock because it's about holy divers

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah did the like three whole choices you had to make in the game actually matter at all? Also lol at the first being, 'throw baseball at black guy or not'.

I think they cause cosmetic changes on the player character and/or Elizabeth? The only one I can think of is that if you let the one guy stick a knife through your hand then your hand is bandaged up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What's the scoop on Flinthook?

Is it the next Spelunky or Nuclear Throne, or should I save my money and beat the games I already own (*cough*persona 5)?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

KingSlime posted:

Is it the next Spelunky or Nuclear Throne, or should I save my money and beat the games I already own (*cough*persona 5)?

It is not on the level of those games but its okay.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What little I've seen of Flinthook looks pretty fun but probably not "put down Persona 5 for a while to play this" fun

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I looked at some videos of Flinthook, my initial opinion is that the visuals are really busy and it looks hard to play.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MM Zero is so hard I can't even kill the first boss :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of my friends thinks flinthook is insanely good, but he's also my friend that gets super psyched about every single small studio indie game you've never heard of, buys them and gushes how great they are for 2 hours and then never touches them again, god bless him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Flinthook looks like it has fun movement and I wish it was just a game with levels and time trials.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Sakurazuka posted:

MM Zero is so hard I can't even kill the first boss :(

We've all been there my friend. MMZero is just bullshit hard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saint Freak posted:

There's always a Hitler, a steampunk robot bird drill thing(?), and a lighthouse.

Yeah but I didn't like Peace Walker

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hmm I better hold off until I beat P5 then

I am barely on the third palace lol, playing 1-3 hours every other day is getting me nowhere

I guess I can do horizon or nioh next given that plus offerings have been consistently poo poo for the past few months (tearway might be ok though)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
average playtime for persona 5 is 80 hours on any difficulty so don't expect to finish it anytime soon

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Recently I visited my nephews and last I remembered they were into LEGO. It turns out that my info is way out of date as they're no longer into lame LEGO but into COBI which is a LEGO knock-off that produces military sets. The company apparently went all-in and recreates tanks, planes and trucks based on real models. The list is pretty insane.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KingSlime posted:

It looks cool but I feel like I'm gonna see it in a Humble Bundle / Monthly within a year.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shindragon posted:

We've all been there my friend. MMZero is just bullshit hard.

That whole first stage is pretty good at making you feel like you're terrible at Mega Man.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I need to go back to Yoshi chat to present this:

These baby Yoshi have boots, have no saddle, have... diaper?

e: however, the Yoshi kids in the first Paper Mario do have saddle/shell.

Since they are Yoshi kids and not Yoshi babies the situation may be different.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 3, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually those are the severed heads of mushroom people attached to their saddles a la witcher 3 trophies

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Flinthook has a lot going for it but ultimately seems to fall apart due to how they approached the rouge-lite elements of the game.

Quick overview: Flinthook is a 2D rouge-lite wherein you play a space bounty hunter hunting down space pirates by attacking different space pirate ships. It's a silly setting but works well enough. You are assigned a bounty and have to take on a series of increasingly more difficult ships with semi-randomized rooms (the rooms are pre-fab but they are placed randomly), with the defeat of each ship bringing you a little closer to your bounty. Once you take on enough of the smaller ships, you attack the bounty ship and will be presented with a boss fight. If you die at any point, it's back to the beginning of the bounty (though you can take a trip to the black market to buy some permanent upgrades).

Also, the game is hella hard.

The movement and combat is Flinthook's strongest feature. There are hooks placed all over the rooms and you use them to quickly whip your little bounty hunter around. This mechanic is used to navigate trap rooms without taking damage and stay mobile to avoid shots during combat. The grappling feels snappy and good and mostly does what you want it to. You can also slow down time briefly which gives you a little more air-control and lets you set up difficult shots on your foes. Combat rooms give you waves of enemies to deal with and there seems to be a decent amount of variety with what they throw at you.

The music and overall aesthetic is also worth mentioning as being pretty great. Flinthook has some really fun and energizing tunes.

While those elements are good, though, the negatives ultimately made me lose interest pretty fast. One is that, as was mentioned above, the art style is a little busy. This can lead you to taking environmental damage that doesn't seem particularly fair just because your brain couldn't register spikes fast enough. Especially not good in a game that ostensibly is about speed and style.

Biggest issue for me though was the difficulty, or rather, the difficulty spikes. Like I mentioned above, dying at any point during your bounty will reset you back to the beginning. And a single bounty can take 20-30 minutes to reach the boss (and it wouldn't surprise me if it got longer in the late game). The majority of the game isn't too tough, but the boss fights are absolute bitches. It really sucks to drop 30 minutes into a run, then do 20% damage to the boss and have to start all over. This obviously isn't unique in the genre, Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne both have similar expectations of the player, but I don't really find Flinthook interesting enough overall to want to repeat the same content over and over.

So yeah, it's worth checking out, but I don't know that it'd be for everyone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There has been a lot of retconning in the Mario lore, I learned in the past week that the Koopalings (Iggy, Wendy, etc.) are no longer considered Bowser's legitimate children because of the existence of Bowser Jr.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flinthook being a rogue-lite is what made me not immediately buy it, honestly. I'd love more good action games with unique mechanics that aren't rogue-lites, but I see that trend isn't quite dead yet.

At least we'll always have Shovel Knight.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it was just the other day i realized that one of the koopa kids being named "morton koopa jr." implied that bowser's first name is morton

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I know I'm the one that asked, but all this flinthook chat is really just making me want to go play Nuclear Throne some more

I loving love Nuclear Throne

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just tell me his name is still Mario Mario.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Harrow posted:

Flinthook being a rogue-lite is what made me not immediately buy it, honestly. I'd love more good action games with unique mechanics that aren't rogue-lites, but I see that trend isn't quite dead yet.

At least we'll always have Shovel Knight.

On the flip-side I'm always jonesing for more good rogue-lites and the premise I read makes the game go straight onto my buy list after I'm done with exams!

KingSlime posted:

I loving love Nuclear Throne

Hell yeah.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I got TumbleSeed and it's really pretty and good but it's insanely difficult on account of its control scheme

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There has been a lot of retconning in the Mario lore, I learned in the past week that the Koopalings (Iggy, Wendy, etc.) are no longer considered Bowser's legitimate children because of the existence of Bowser Jr.

I just interpret that as Bowser being such an evil prick that was so angry at his kids' failure to kill Mario that he disowned them.

Cowcaster posted:

it was just the other day i realized that one of the koopa kids being named "morton koopa jr." implied that bowser's first name is morton

Ah, but James Bond is James Bond Jr.'s uncle.
You can draw the same conclusions as to what that implies happened between James Bond and his brother's wife, with Bowser and whatever unseen siblings he has.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 3, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I should go back to nuclear throne because I was into it for a day or two beat it then went and played something else

I usually get pretty hooked on those kinds of games so idk why I wasn't more into it

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Palpek posted:

Recently I visited my nephews and last I remembered they were into LEGO. It turns out that my info is way out of date as they're no longer into lame LEGO but into COBI which is a LEGO knock-off that produces military sets. The company apparently went all-in and recreates tanks, planes and trucks based on real models. The list is pretty insane.

Your nephews are turning into idiots and you are watching from the sidelines.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I should go back to nuclear throne because I was into it for a day or two beat it then went and played something else

I usually get pretty hooked on those kinds of games so idk why I wasn't more into it

you beat it after a day or two of first playing it?

maaaan it took me a few weeks, maybe months

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

And by that I mean WWII nerds that will probably spend their school life in a locker.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

From YCS, a very long time ago:

I would appreciate a videogame based on the music video of holy diver where RJD wanders around the ruins of an old church with a sword or whatever. That Sega CD Make My Video game but it's Holy Diver. "yeah I'll put the shot of the dude in the red robes with the weird animated lizard eyes right after the dude turning into rats; hell yeah"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Healbot posted:

And by that I mean WWII nerds that will probably spend their school life in a locker.

I spent my school life in a locker and I'll have you know it's actually quite comfortable there once you learn how to dislocate your arms for more maneuverability!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man I'd rather make my own tank, and have it be rainbow colored because otherwise I don't have enough Lego.

And then the tank would go into a dock and split into a space ship and go on adventures to find the gi joes and other randomly mishmashed toys that I had.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?
I have 2 (3 if my awful brother doesn't want one) Quake Champions closed beta invites if anyone wants them. I also bought a 4-pack of the arena FPS Reflex Arena on Steam and have been sitting on two of the keys for a few years. PM me if you want either of these things.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one should ever use Dark Souls as a baseline for insanely hard games when MM Zero exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yall, mario kart owns

• Locked thread