Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Capitalism is one grand failure for everyone involved. Given that the rich are so miserable, one has to wonder why the gently caress they don't do something to change the system - they certainly hold all the cards needed to make it happen.

Greed is a hell of a drug I guess. And not even one of the fun ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pochoclo posted:

Capitalism is one grand failure for everyone involved. Given that the rich are so miserable, one has to wonder why the gently caress they don't do something to change the system - they certainly hold all the cards needed to make it happen.

Greed is a hell of a drug I guess. And not even one of the fun ones.

Could they know that money doesn't make you happy, but no money certainly can make you miserable? And they're scared that if they don't cling onto the former category, they risk ending up in the latter?

Or am I endowing the rich with too much introspection?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Could they know that money doesn't make you happy, but no money certainly can make you miserable? And they're scared that if they don't cling onto the former category, they risk ending up in the latter?

Or am I endowing the rich with too much introspection?

Nah, they know the next million will be the one that makes them feel successful.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guardian has more on John Woodcock.

The Guardian posted:

“There was a motion not to endorse him, but almost everyone else voted against,” one source close to the committee said. “It had no support. Other MPs have run anti-Gordon Brown campaigns in the past, it’s what happens sometimes.

“If it means we keep a seat, then it’s fine. It shouldn’t be a priority and people were getting very angry. Tom Watson, Kezia [Dugdale] all phoned in to vote against the motion.

The difference between this and the past is probably that MPs running 'anti Gordon Brown' campaigns haven't been on the national news and in every newspaper repeatedly throughout the election campaign.

No surprise Watson and Dugdale made a special effort to keep him though. You can already tell they care nothing about this election and everything about taking back control of the party afterwards.

jabby fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 3, 2017

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pissflaps posted:

I think that as time goes on the 'divorce bill' will morph into an amount of money we contribute on an ongoing basis to the EU in return for some of the benefits of membership.

Another great Pissflaps prediction given the conciliatory Theresa May has decided to adopt today.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

John Woodcock has been reselected by the NEC to represent Labour. A man who has said in the event of a Labour majority of one he would withdraw his support from the party and prevent them forming a government because he doesn't want Corbyn to be Prime Minister.

If you ever doubted whether there are significant elements within the party who are happy to tank Labours election chances just to prevent Corbyn being in charge, the fact that the NEC just backed him should be all the proof you need.

Sounds like the idea of Corbyn supporters being able to deselect MPs they don't like was as realistic as Corbyn becoming PM.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Another great Pissflaps prediction given the conciliatory Theresa May has decided to adopt today.

Nothing said today has changed my opinion.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Labour was better back then.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Sounds like the idea of Corbyn supporters being able to deselect MPs they don't like was as realistic as Corbyn becoming PM.

All decisions at the moment are being taken by the NEC rather than by members, so no surprise there.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Is that all you've got? Do YOU have a problem with Corbyn other than his inability to "win"? Are you like Blair and this guy and think that Corbyn winning would be a bad thing? Because if not why do you have nothing to say about these idiots trying to sabotage their own party?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because he's a tit and your life will be improved if you put him on ignore.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

OwlFancier posted:

Why any of you respond to him or that other tit is beyond me

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Is that all you've got? Do YOU have a problem with Corbyn other than his inability to "win"?

Don't think I've been shy about describing my problem with Corbyn: he ensures continued Tory government. He is taking the Labour Party further and further away from government. This doesn't matter to him or his supporters.

Serotonin posted:

Post that tom hanks picture about it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

So the Tories are getting upset at EU citizens' non-EU spouses again

quote:

May expected to challenge right of EU citizens to bring family to Britain

EU negotiation guidelines put Brussels and London on collision course over issue of non-European spouses after Brexit

In a major speech on Europe in 2014, David Cameron said ministers had to “deal with the extraordinary situation” whereby it was easier for an EU citizen to bring a non-EU spouse to Britain, than it was for a British citizen to do the same.

Link

Of all the Tory shouting boxes, this one pisses me off the most. It's just spiteful. For UK and EU people. It serves no purpose other than to tick a box for the screaming tabloids.

And the bolded part, hmm if only there had been a way of equalising that in your power, you latex faced referendum calling Toryman :argh: :argh: :argh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Serotonin posted:

You're gonna have to be more specific than that; there's plenty of prize idiots in this thread.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

OwlFancier posted:

I'm heading this way. At the moment I just read all his posts with a "dumb blonde" upward inflection at the end of each line. Entertaining enough for now.

https://youtu.be/tqNhEzrWQpY

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

So the Tories are getting upset at EU citizens' non-EU spouses again

Of all the Tory shouting boxes, this one pisses me off the most. It's just spiteful. For UK and EU people. It serves no purpose other than to tick a box for the screaming tabloids.
Is this even a major thing that happens? And what is supposedly happening after? An EU person marries a not EU person and moves to the UK, then...

Pissflaps posted:

Post that tom hanks picture about it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
That study says nothing new; its long been known that you gotta keep up with the Joneses rather than being absolutely wealthy to be happy

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Is this even a major thing that happens? And what is supposedly happening after? An EU person marries a not EU person and moves to the UK, then...

And don't speak English to each other I guess?

Which reminds me, I seem to remember a brief panic when some newspaper "found out" about South American people sometimes being able to get EU passports via grandparents (Pochoclo confirm/deny I'm getting this right?), and the entire continent would be moving here any day.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Malcolm XML posted:

That study says nothing new; its long been known that you gotta keep up with the Joneses rather than being absolutely wealthy to be happy

Yeah but anyone claiming a sort of utilitarian approach to social organisation should immediately start using it as evidence that private wealth should be taxed massively and distributed to the poor as it makes the poor materially better off, it makes the middle classes relatively better off compared to the rich and only the very small number of very rich see no benefit at all.

So it has to be effectively ignored until a sociologist or journalist writes something about it and then it's treated as a great surprise and then ignored again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Malcolm XML posted:

Our Will drives us to believe that the next thing obtained, the next goal attained, will finally bring us true happiness, only for it to be hollow shortly after we get there. Human happiness, such that it is, requires not only the satiation of the critical desires like hunger and shelter, but also a degree of contentedness rather than the constant treadmill of goal seeking.

I wonder if that explains the uptick in constant switching between different types of new age woo among the upper-middle classes. The search for contentedness commodified as a goal seeking activity.

^^^ That too.

Bobstar posted:

Which reminds me, I seem to remember a brief panic when some newspaper "found out" about South American people sometimes being able to get EU passports via grandparents (Pochoclo confirm/deny I'm getting this right?), and the entire continent would be moving here any day.
Were they equally outraged about half of Boston moving here because some number of Irish people there would be entitled to a passport?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Council election chat: I've had one leaflet through, and it's from the Tory fella who's almost certainly going to retain his position anyway. Effort.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

Were they equally outraged about half of Boston moving here because some number of Irish people there would be entitled to a passport?
The secret of Boston is that there are no actually-Irish people there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HJB posted:

Council election chat: I've had one leaflet through, and it's from the Tory fella who's almost certainly going to retain his position anyway. Effort.
I have had no leaflets, but :same: about the Tory candidate.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 3, 2017

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JFairfax posted:

I don't know if any of you have tried to close a 'deal' as a business person, but let me tell you if one party thinks the sum should be £0, zero, zilch nothing and the other party believes it should be £XX,000 or higher then it's very difficult to meet in the middle.

The British government so far are disagreeing that there is anything to pay at all for leaving the EU, not 'oh we need to agree on the amount' - they disagree that there is any amount to pay at all.

That is not a good starting point for a negotiation.
We're currently just under 5% of the way through the Brexit countdown. By the election it'll be almost 10%. I wonder how far through the countdown we'll be before we even start the negotiations.

MikeCrotch posted:

This should be put up as the ultimate indictment of capitalism, in that the bourgeois suck all the capital out of society and are sitting at the top of hierarchy yet they're still loving miserable.
Capitalism is a disease. If I had 100,000 of something and they weren't making me happy I reckon I could figure out that another 100,000 wouldn't make me any more happy. Certain people seem cognitively unable to do anything to improve their happiness besides 'get moar moneys'.

Also:
New 'indestructible' £1 coins are 'melting' and some centre pieces have dropped out

quote:

Despite being called 'indestructible', the new £1 coins are reportedly seeing a series of unusual flaws which left one being released without a centre piece.

Other new pound coins are said to be misshapen, have the colours blending in to each other and can even melt, reports the Mirror.

After just two months into production there are claims they are littered with misstrikes.

One recipient of a new pound coin said: “It is all melted and out of shape."

Something something strong and stable economy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They got all that press equipment set up for the poly notes but nooo, let's have a 12-sided bimetallic holographic coin instead. With a secret security feature.

The secret security feature is that the middle falls out and you can't spend it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobstar posted:

And don't speak English to each other I guess?

Yeah, I don't know all the details, but my brother-in-law is Chilean, but he's descended from Spanish Jews and went through the rigamarole of proving that so he could get the benefits of being an EU citizen. He & my sister were able to live in Dublin together before he could claim Spanish citizenship, but I think they are planning on moving back to Scotland at some point soon now she's finished her Masters there. And then Brexit happened so ho boy.

But yeah, they had to make more than one trip to Spain with a bunch of documents, but he's a Spanish citizen now despite having never lived there, which was cool.

Honestly, the idea you can't live & work with your spouse in the country you were born in is hosed up. I always hated the anti-immigrant citizen, but seeing how it directly impacted my family (dude is a loving qualified architect or something like that, he's not going to be stealing a job from a Brit or however the idiots like to put it) sure brought home the shittiness a lot more clearly. Borders are trash.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bobstar posted:

Brief panic? "Found out"? This has been going on for many decades, it's not some weird trick we don't want you to know. The country where this happens the most is incidentally Argentina because of how many people there are second/third generation Spanish/Italian (the foremost sources of immigration Argentina had for a long, long time).
It is quite easy if you have Spanish/Italian ancestry, but somehow the entire country doesn't just leave. I mean, take me for example, I got the dual citizenship, yes, I came here, but I have siblings who didn't and are not interested at all, and I know pleeeeenty of people who just got the EU passport for "easier tourism". It also takes quite a bit of money for the plane trip and accomodation and surviving until you find a job. Argentina is not a complete hellhole, so mostly you get single ambitious professionals who get high paid jobs and pay high taxes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm from Israel and applying for Portuguese citizenship! Same Spanish Jew business. This was gonna be my way to stay here with my partner, but Brexit's kinda loving it up. I'm not a trained architect but I want to work for charity orgs so hopefully you'll still have me, fellas.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I don't know all the details, but my brother-in-law is Chilean, but he's descended from Spanish Jews and went through the rigamarole of proving that so he could get the benefits of being an EU citizen. He & my sister were able to live in Dublin together before he could claim Spanish citizenship, but I think they are planning on moving back to Scotland at some point soon now she's finished her Masters there. And then Brexit happened so ho boy.

But yeah, they had to make more than one trip to Spain with a bunch of documents, but he's a Spanish citizen now despite having never lived there, which was cool.

That's the one. Some of my Venezuelan friends have done it, made touring around Europe easier, compared to the ones who don't (one drummer, after questioning at the UK border about his secret plans to abandon the 2 day tour and abscond in the UK, ended up telling them he didn't want to live in this rainy country and wanted to go back to Caracas).

forkboy84 posted:

Honestly, the idea you can't live & work with your spouse in the country you were born in is hosed up. I always hated the anti-immigrant citizen, but seeing how it directly impacted my family (dude is a loving qualified architect or something like that, he's not going to be stealing a job from a Brit or however the idiots like to put it) sure brought home the shittiness a lot more clearly. Borders are trash.

Yeah, this. I wasn't a massively a naive child, I knew politics was a thing and that the world wasn't all rosy and wonderful, but I always kind of assumed that every country allowed you to marry and live with someone from anywhere in the world.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Brief panic? "Found out"? This has been going on for many decades, it's not some weird trick we don't want you to know. The country where this happens the most is incidentally Argentina because of how many people there are second/third generation Spanish/Italian (the foremost sources of immigration Argentina had for a long, long time).
It is quite easy if you have Spanish/Italian ancestry, but somehow the entire country doesn't just leave. I mean, take me for example, I got the dual citizenship, yes, I came here, but I have siblings who didn't and are not interested at all, and I know pleeeeenty of people who just got the EU passport for "easier tourism". It also takes quite a bit of money for the plane trip and accomodation and surviving until you find a job. Argentina is not a complete hellhole, so mostly you get single ambitious professionals who get high paid jobs and pay high taxes.

Yes, I meant found out in the tabloid sense, as in decided to use that day's anger target.

Similar to when the Sun (I think) "found out" about the type of school I went to

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The problem is that British citizens need to meet a minimum income threshold of £18,600 a year in order for their non-EU spouses to be allowed to join them. EU citizens moving to Britain on the other hand do not have that requirement thanks to a ruling by the ECJ, which in the Carpenter ruling created a right to family life as part of the free movement rights. So it's more difficult for Brits staying in Britain to bring a non-EU spouse into the country than it is for EU immigrants. This is likely to be yet another point of contention in the Brexit negotiations since the EU very much wants its citizens living in Britain to keep those rights, and May, well, you know....

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Bobstar posted:

Yes, I meant found out in the tabloid sense, as in decided to use that day's anger target.

Similar to when the Sun (I think) "found out" about the type of school I went to

Oh I know it was some Mail/Sun bullshit, the questions were just rhetorical.

But yeah I have like the worst timing possible, I finally decide to move here and lol Brexit.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Oh I know it was some Mail/Sun bullshit, the questions were just rhetorical.

But yeah I have like the worst timing possible, I finally decide to move here and lol Brexit.

Ah yes :)

I feel you, "I finally decided to move and then lol Brexit" buddy

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Johnny European might not have the same thorough screening policy as great Britain before granting residency to non-EU nationals thus opening us up to backdoor sham marriages to circumvent our tough on the causes of browns policy!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The problem is that British citizens need to meet a minimum income threshold of £18,600 a year in order for their non-EU spouses to be allowed to join them. EU citizens moving to Britain on the other hand do not have that requirement thanks to a ruling by the ECJ, which in the Carpenter ruling created a right to family life as part of the free movement rights. So it's more difficult for Brits staying in Britain to bring a non-EU spouse into the country than it is for EU immigrants. This is likely to be yet another point of contention in the Brexit negotiations since the EU very much wants its citizens living in Britain to keep those rights, and May, well, you know....

There's a loving easy solution to this unfairness, which is to allow non-EU spouses to have exactly the same rights as EU spouses, but this country is racing to the bottom so nah, out the window.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

forkboy84 posted:

There's a loving easy solution to this unfairness, which is to allow non-EU spouses to have exactly the same rights as EU spouses

This is, in fact, May's plan! :downs:
be careful what you wish for...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is, in fact, May's plan! :downs:
be careful what you wish for...

Well yes, clearly I meant "treat them all humanely" rather than "treat them as animals unless they are rich".

Remember when Theresa May campaigned to remain in the EU? Fun times.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

There's a loving easy solution to this unfairness, which is to allow non-EU spouses to have exactly the same rights as EU spouses, but this country is racing to the bottom so nah, out the window.

That would be a great solution. Also, the EU now trusts Britain and the Home Office so little on dealing fairly with its immigrant EU residents that it apparently wants their rights after Brexit to continue to be enforceable by the European Court of Justice.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Had a leaflet put through the door from the Lib Dems that had two guys pointing at a pot hole in the road, reminded me of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

The pound won't be round much longer, lol

• Locked thread