Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

Bobcat is an interesting director.

World's Greatest Dad was amazing, God Bless America was unwatchably sadistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

MacheteZombie posted:

This should encourage people to check this out btw. Bobcat is an interesting director.

There's a decent number of modern based Bigfoot hunting low budget flicks. I've seen at least 3-4 that were Bigfoot oriented found footage flicks and I haven't gotten a chance to dig into some of the older Bigfoot flicks out there.

God Bless America was a masterpiece imo

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

joshtothemaxx posted:

I admit that I love found footage horror movies so I'm not the best impartial judge, but Willow Creek was pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlc9UY2iuQ

Don't let this ruin it for you, but it was directed by Bobcat Goldthwait.

Hey, look. Coming soon!

Exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wcL3CPZVk

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yet we may never see any of Chuck Tingle's Bigfoot works adapted onto the silver screen. Such a sad knuckle of knowledge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunken Baker posted:

The Tremors TV show really should have just been Burt going out and hunting various cryptozooilogical monsters.

I don't know, I liked the idea that he couldn't because Graboids were officially an endangered species.

And my phone tries autocorrecting "Graboids" to "Granos". Hopefully it isn't spontaneously calling the police.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

And my phone tries autocorrecting "Graboids" to "Granos". Hopefully it isn't spontaneously calling the police.

That's just a feature of the latest Android OS update, I think its something to do with Megan's Law.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Jedit posted:

I mean, you might as well do it anyway

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
From the Dark Towers trailer, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of this out there:

"Are you the devil?"
"I'm worse!"

Yeah I get it, you are badass. But to me and I'd wager many other people, "the devil" refers to a rather abstract concept of the worst of the worst, and it's pretty lame to go "Ah ha, but I'm worse than the worst of the worst... of the worst!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
To many the devil is an actual individual deity like figure. I agree it's just a painfully cliche line though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

From the Dark Towers trailer, but I'm pretty sure there's a lot of this out there:

"Are you the devil?"
"I'm worse!"

Yeah I get it, you are badass. But to me and I'd wager many other people, "the devil" refers to a rather abstract concept of the worst of the worst, and it's pretty lame to go "Ah ha, but I'm worse than the worst of the worst... of the worst!"

Read the books and you'll know why this is funny.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

"Are you the devil?"
"I'm worse!"

To be fair, the actual line was "Is he the devil?" "No, he's worse". It comes off more as "he's worse than you can imagine" rather than nonsensical bragging. But yeah, when people say they themselves are worse than the devil, it's just dumb.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

syscall girl posted:

Read the books and you'll know why this is funny.

"Does he know that everyone who travels with you dies by my hand?" I'd say they're embracing the try-hard aspect of Walter O'Grimdark

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Randalor posted:

To be fair, the actual line was "Is he the devil?" "No, he's worse". It comes off more as "he's worse than you can imagine" rather than nonsensical bragging. But yeah, when people say they themselves are worse than the devil, it's just dumb.
Dark Tower spoilers
Especially considering that the Dark Tower series has a devil, and Flagg/Walter actually is worse. By a pretty wide margin. God the Crimson King was a chump.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dark Tower spoilers
Especially considering that the Dark Tower series has a devil, and Flagg/Walter actually is worse. By a pretty wide margin. God the Crimson King was a chump.

But so was Flagg in the end. All that posturing and playing him up and he gets eaten by a spider? Lame as gently caress.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

But so was Flagg in the end. All that posturing and playing him up and he gets eaten by a spider? Lame as gently caress.

He did gently caress up Roland's day a lot in the earlier books, down to destroying the city he grew up in, causing the deaths of all of his friends, and escaped him more than once. His death kind of sticks out because he wasn't a chump at all until king was like "welp, time to kill him off because it's all ending".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He did gently caress up Roland's day a lot in the earlier books, down to destroying the city he grew up in, causing the deaths of all of his friends, and escaped him more than once. His death kind of sticks out because he wasn't a chump at all until king was like "welp, time to kill him off because it's all ending".

Plus he did bone his mom for a while so it's understandable they have a bit of a rivalry.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Man all these spoilers really remind me that the last half of Dark Tower was pretty bad. Almost as bad as an entire book being a flashback. Which i'm sure when these movies get rolling they will keep in it's entirety :allears:

Now it's been a long time since i read the books but am i right in remembering that one of the side characters is a "special" kid that can create holes in spacetime? or some kind of extrademensional pockets? I seem to vaguely remember that being a thing in the 5th book of the series "we swear the wolves are coming,it's going to be awesome

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Man all these spoilers really remind me that the last half of Dark Tower was pretty bad. Almost as bad as an entire book being a flashback. Which i'm sure when these movies get rolling they will keep in it's entirety :allears:

Now it's been a long time since i read the books but am i right in remembering that one of the side characters is a "special" kid that can create holes in spacetime? or some kind of extrademensional pockets? I seem to vaguely remember that being a thing in the 5th book of the series "we swear the wolves are coming,it's going to be awesome

That would be Sheemie.
http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/Stanley_Ruiz#The_Dark_Tower

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I haven't read Stephen King in years. Does he still do the cringe-worthy "Magical Negro and Retard" tropes? What about the obsession with pants-making GBS threads?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I haven't read Stephen King in years. Does he still do the cringe-worthy "Magical Negro and Retard" tropes? What about the obsession with pants-making GBS threads?

I only read the Dark Tower series, but what I linked to is exactly what you just described, but Sheemie is white. Mentally challenged person with psychic powers revealed in the later books to do the stuff in HOOLY BOOLY's spoiler.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IUG posted:

I only read the Dark Tower series, but what I linked to is exactly what you just described, but Sheemie is white. Mentally challenged person with psychic powers revealed in the later books to do the stuff in HOOLY BOOLY's spoiler.

The black woman with dissociative identity disorder probably fills the magic negro slot here

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Not sure about the pants making GBS threads, but a kid getting run over by a car is described as being aware of his balls being crushed.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Movie, singular. They're not doing an adaptation of the entire series, just a film version of the general story. It's changed​ to the point where half of the heroes aren't even in it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought it was going to be a TV/movie behemoth?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I hadnt heard they dropped the TV show, but theyre def gonna leave a bunch of plot hangers so they can bolt on whatever they want

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They waiting to see if the first movie actually has legs. A lot of the justification for plot changes and probably excising a lot of the weirdness is that its technically a sequel to the books.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The Dark Tower by itself was pretty amazing. Even parts of 2 and 3 were okay. But seriously, everything after that was such a mix of garbage, King may as well have copied it from Fanfiction.net. A story about the actual Gunslinger world pre-end of times would be a great movie/TV show. loving priest from Salem's Lot showing up and AIDS vampires and Stephen King in the middle? No.

So Game of Thrones season 5. I've watched this poo poo a few times and I still do not, at all, understand why Littlefinger was like, hey Sansa who I lust after and finally have in my hands....you go off and marry some sadistic fucker. Because Littlefinger had to know how bad Ramsay was, or maybe he was just sick of being around another highborn lady who didn't salivate at his presence. It made no sense. Then again, everything after season 4, minus a few scenes, has been so hacked and rushed it made no sense either. But that stood out a lot. When you finally have the person you want the most, your replacement goldfish for her mom, you....give her away? To teach her a lesson? To mentally gently caress her up? No sense was made that day.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He thought Roose was going to be the Warden of the North for keeps after giving his legitimised son a Stark to marry, cementing the Boltons' claim to Winterfell. This got Baelish in better with the Lannisters, who were looking like being the rulers for the real long term before the peasants got properly revolting. For Baelish, power is more important than getting his dick wet the way he prefers.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

The Dark Tower by itself was pretty amazing. Even parts of 2 and 3 were okay. But seriously, everything after that was such a mix of garbage, King may as well have copied it from Fanfiction.net. A story about the actual Gunslinger world pre-end of times would be a great movie/TV show. loving priest from Salem's Lot showing up and AIDS vampires and Stephen King in the middle? No.

So Game of Thrones season 5. I've watched this poo poo a few times and I still do not, at all, understand why Littlefinger was like, hey Sansa who I lust after and finally have in my hands....you go off and marry some sadistic fucker. Because Littlefinger had to know how bad Ramsay was, or maybe he was just sick of being around another highborn lady who didn't salivate at his presence. It made no sense. Then again, everything after season 4, minus a few scenes, has been so hacked and rushed it made no sense either. But that stood out a lot. When you finally have the person you want the most, your replacement goldfish for her mom, you....give her away? To teach her a lesson? To mentally gently caress her up? No sense was made that day.

You can come up with a reason why after the fact but it really makes no sense, like most things that are going on in the most recent seasons. At this point the show just jumps from plot point to plot point. Nothing makes logical sense anymore. Davos even straight up asks Melisandre if she can revive Jon Snow even though he doesn't like her and doesn't have any reason to think that's even possible just because they need to speed things up. If you are still watching the show it's just to get an ending and that's about it.

Mullitt has a new favorite as of 07:06 on May 7, 2017

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

rydiafan posted:

Movie, singular. They're not doing an adaptation of the entire series, just a film version of the general story. It's changed​ to the point where half of the heroes aren't even in it.

Considering how major movies are done these days i'm kinda surprised they aren't trying to milk the whole franchise for everything it's worth. But at the same time The Dark Tower is one of those series where you can't just pick and choose, it's kinda it's own whole encompassing thing :psyduck:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Considering how major movies are done these days i'm kinda surprised they aren't trying to milk the whole franchise for everything it's worth. But at the same time The Dark Tower is one of those series where you can't just pick and choose, it's kinda it's own whole encompassing thing :psyduck:

Maybe it was like that at some point in the planning but I get the sense even they realize this movie is going to be a big flop. So far the trailers are pretty bad and seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the story's tone and the characters.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe it was like that at some point in the planning but I get the sense even they realize this movie is going to be a big flop. So far the trailers are pretty bad and seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the story's tone and the characters.

Yes, but every movie is going to be it's own thing from previous sources. How much deviation you can accept is obviously personal though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think even King himself has acknowledged that putting himself in the book was a dumb idea, and that if he ever went back and revised them he'd take himself out.

A rare sensible decision from the man who disliked Kubrik's The Shining enough to make his own terrible miniseries version.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

KINGs shining miniseries was bad but I can see why he wouldn't like Kuvricks version

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oldpainless posted:

KINGs shining miniseries was bad but I can see why he wouldn't like Kuvricks version

Yea, there's a great quote from someone that goes along the lines of "In the book we watch a sane man be turned insane by an evil hotel, in the movie we watch Jack Nicholson go from crazy to full blown Looney Tunes."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mullitt posted:

You can come up with a reason why after the fact but it really makes no sense, like most things that are going on in the most recent seasons. At this point the show just jumps from plot point to plot point. Nothing makes logical sense anymore. Davos even straight up asks Melisandre if she can revive Jon Snow even though he doesn't like her and doesn't have any reason to think that's even possible just because they need to speed things up. If you are still watching the show it's just to get an ending and that's about it.

I always liked the fact once they have solid evidence Melisandre straight up murdered a screaming child, and there is a possibility she'd do it again, her punishment is....being banished. That's nice. Shoulda tied her to a pyre and pay the Lord of Light back in the ways of the Old Gods.

Oh, and can't forget Cercei blowing up a quarter of Kings Landing and there being no foreshadowing or even a hint of it building up. And Dany mastering her dragons offscreen without a problem.

But you're right, after season 4, it's like they gave up on a real story and move from point to point without caring how dumb or boring parts are. A girl has no name for a whole season.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the books that gets about four metric poo poo tons of foreshadowing and it hasn't even happened yet in them because G.R.R.M. writes at the speed of plate tectonics.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:41 on May 7, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They've been hinting at or talking around the fire stuff the whole season. The Queen's freak priest dude even says he found a huge stash. I didn't know what was going to happen but I knew fire was going to be involved.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How exactly did GRRM end up falling so far behind? He managed to get the first three out at a rate of one every two years, which is about normal, then there's a five year gap until book four (when he stopped and started again when his original idea - a five-year time-skip - didn't work) and a six year gap until book five, and it's been a further six years since book five was published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I seriously doubt he will ever finish the series.

I did hear that HBO is looking into sequels/prequels/spinoffs. See, the Dance of Dragons would be cool. Robert's Rebellion? Not so much. gently caress, even the first three dragonriders showing up would be a good series. But most prequels are just bad.