Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Jigglr

Friend of mine got told in a job interview that the tech office coordinator role she was applying for needed to function as a "mom slash girlfriend" to "support the guys" and be "an emotional fluffer" and then the interviewer asked her if she knew what that term meant.

at that point might as well recruit strippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Some lovely pay-to-win app factory.

Software Development was a mistake

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

blowfish posted:

That seems like more of a Wall Street stockbroker move

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm surprised no one's tried to disrupt the vice industry.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Friend of mine got told in a job interview that the tech office coordinator role she was applying for needed to function as a "mom slash girlfriend" to "support the guys" and be "an emotional fluffer" and then the interviewer asked her if she knew what that term meant.
:yikes:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

shrike82 posted:

I'm surprised no one's tried to disrupt the vice industry.

What do you think backpage was?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MikeCrotch posted:

That seems like more of a Wall Street stockbroker move

Wasn't hiring strippers yet another Uber story?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

blowfish posted:

Too expensive, they want house moms like their frat had.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wasn't hiring strippers yet another Uber story?

I thought it was business lunches at a SoMa strip club?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

withak posted:

I thought it was business lunches at a SoMa strip club?

Por qué no las dos?

e: Strippers aren't the same as prostitutes. My bad.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 3, 2017

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Panfilo posted:

I'm surprised nobody has tried to disrupt the breasteraunt business.

Disrupting a breasteraunt is just motorboating a waitress and being thrown out.

Also, Tilted Kilt just makes me think of a restaurant with
surly Scottish waiters.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Disrupting a breasteraunt is just motorboating a waitress and being thrown out.

Also, Tilted Kilt just makes me think of a restaurant with
surly Scottish waiters.

Is that not what it is?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I would love to know what company this is. Holy poo poo.

I would love to know how her lawsuit us going.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Volcott posted:

Is that not what it is?

no, its women in halfshirts with no boob coverage wearing tartan skirts that show their underwear if they lean even a little bit serving lovely sysco food.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There is a Twin Peaks like 5 miles from my house.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is a Twin Peaks like 5 miles from my house.

What did your log see.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Platonicsolid posted:

I would love to know how her lawsuit us going.

No proof, no money for a lawyer = no rights.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The Google v Uber lawsuit hearings are happening now. :getin:

Google just accused Uber of creating a fake, shell company with its former engineer to steal its tech

quote:

Here's what Waymo said that it's discovered so far:
  • October 2015 — An Uber engineer, Scott Boehmke, makes a note in his Lidar journal about a discussion with Uber's Brian McClendon. The two had talked about a "NewCo". The pros are "experience with automotive competitors" and cons are no track record and no details.
  • January 2016 — Waymo says Uber was meeting with Levandowski before he even left Google. An email sent by MClendon says that he's preparing to meet with an "Anthony" tomorrow. Another email, with a file called "NewCo Deliverables", said that "this list of deliverables is a high bar for sure But then again so is what he is asking for in $$."
  • January 27, 2016 — Levandowski leaves Google with no notice.
  • January 28, 2016 — Uber promises 5 million shares of Uber stock vesting a day after he leaves in a "notice of restricted stock award." That amount is worth more than $250 million, according to Waymo's lawyers. "The very next day, he's getting awarded stock by Uber when he's supposedly starting his own company, when he's supposedly building his own technology, he's secretly working for Uber," Verhoeven said. An Uber spokesperson later told reporters during a court break that the document was from August when the acquisition closed and back-dated to include his time at Otto.
  • January 29, 2016 — Emails with Uber's lawyers, that are being withheld from Waymo, are related to an "anticipation of litigation" related to the acquisition of Ottomotto.
  • March 2016: Uber says Waymo started contemplating suing Anthony Levandowski.
  • April 11, 2016 — Uber and Levandowski enter into a Joint Defense Agreement
  • August 18, 2016 — Uber announces the acquisition of Otto

Bolding mine.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, if even part of the stuff Google is alleging can be proved, Uber looks to be in deep poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, this isn't like some normal corporate employee poaching, its straight up industrial espionage with fake companies being created, secret stock transfers, massive amounts of information copied and stolen, and then a concerted effort to cover it all up and destroy the evidence?

Isn't this an actual crime, like federal prison jail time?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pentyne posted:

So, this isn't like some normal corporate employee poaching, its straight up industrial espionage with fake companies being created, secret stock transfers, massive amounts of information copied and stolen, and then a concerted effort to cover it all up and destroy the evidence?

Isn't this an actual crime, like federal prison jail time?

Correct. Based on what was posted, it appears that Uber and Levandowski conspired for him to leave Google/Waymo and immediately start a new company, which opens up a ton of questions in terms of theft of trade secrets. The $250MM award isn't evidence of guilt in and of itself, but along with an e-mail stating that both his deliverables were high as was his asking price, it begs the question of what he told Uber he could deliver, and how and when it was developed.

There are a couple possible scenarios here:

He flat out took information from Google and transferred it to Otto/Uber.
    He developed a product while employed at Google/Waymo, and took that to Otto/Uber.
    He developed a product the day after leaving Google.

The first option is flat out theft, and it is what Google is alleging - that he copied data from Google and took it with him.
The second option is a gray area, and I'm not a lawyer so someone with more expertise may be able to shed more light on it, BUT - Levandowski was primarily employed by Waymo to develop and build a self driving car, which includes any technology that goes into it. If he developed his own solution on company time (even if outside of work hours), it could be argued that Google still owns the rights to it. More to the point, it looks really bad for him and for Uber if he was in fact negotiating with them to deliver a product or technology while still employed at Google/Waymo, especially if any feature/functions existed in the Google solution and weren't otherwise in widespread use. Frankly, even if it's a legal gray area, Google still has a very strong case here. It's just a matter of what can be proven.
The third option from that list is...unlikely.

As for possible punishment, I have no idea what the guidelines are beyond to say that yes, depending on what happens, federal prison time is a possibility.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

A lot of it depends on how much Uber executives knew and when they knew it. I don't think there's much dispute that he stole trade secrets and that those helped Otto build out their tech. They weren't exactly subtle about it. But if Levandowski promised Uber something he couldn't really deliver and then stole a bunch of poo poo behind their back to make it work, that's different from them explicitly poaching him to get at Google's self-driving car tech. Uber's probably hosed either way, but it gets a lot worse for them if the court decides this was deliberate corporate espionage.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
So, is there any sort of injunction preventing them from using the (allegedly) stolen tech?

Volcott fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 4, 2017

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Volcott posted:

So, is there any sort of injunction preventing them from using the (allegedly) stolen tech?

If not it's pretty much going to be a given.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volcott posted:

Well none of it really works yet, so that's preventing them from using it. Along with how their engineers (according to rumors) keep quitting after a few months. That can't be good for actually developing anything.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

Along with how their engineers (according to rumors) keep quitting after a few months. That can't be good for actually developing anything.
Clearly being promised a mom/girlfriend fluffer and not getting delivery.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Volcott posted:

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/judge-waymo-dispute-lets-ubers-self-driving-program-live-now/

quote:

IN A PACKED courtroom in San Francisco on Wednesday, all parties involved seemed to be in agreement. Google lawyers alleged that the company’s former engineer and current Uber employee Anthony Levandowski stole 14,000 confidential documents off a computer owned by Waymo, Google’s self-driving spinoff. Lawyers for Uber repeatedly failed to dispute this portion of the presented facts while defending themselves against a gargantuan Waymo suit. And the judge seemed convinced. “You have one of the strongest records I’ve seen for a long time of anybody doing something that bad,” Judge William Alsup told Waymo lawyer Charles Verhoven, who works for the law firm Quinn Emanuel. “Good for you.”

The open question is what happened next.

What’s not quite proven yet: That the complex lidar system Levandowski built for Uber was heavily inspired by Waymo-owned patents and trade secrets. Waymo also can’t quite pin down whether Uber employees saw the stolen documents or if those documents moved anywhere beyond the computer Levandowski allegedly used to steal them. (Uber lawyers say extensive searches of their company’s system for anything connected to the secrets comes up nil.) Did a laptop containing the documents ever enter an Uber office? Did Levandowski access the documents for reference while working from home? So far, the evidence is only circumstantial.

Alsup was quick to point out the gaps in Waymo’s story. “I’ve given you lots of discovery, and so far you don’t have any smoking gun,” he told Waymo lawyers.

But Waymo complained Levandowski’s decision to assert his Fifth Amendment rights has seriously hampered the proceedings against Uber. (Levandowski himself is in arbitration with his former company.) Lawyers for Waymo also said Uber had blocked the release of 3,500 documents related to the acquisition of Otto on the grounds that they contain privileged information. The self-driving market is hot, Waymo lawyers said, which meant this evidence’s absence, plus the suspicion that Uber is using pilfered tech in its self-driving cars, should be grounds for a preliminary injunction.

But if the tech-head gawkers, besuited lawyers, and tap-tapping reporters who packed into Alsup’s chambers Wednesday wanted resolution, they were disappointed. Alsup did not rule on the preliminary injunction from the bench. Instead, while waiting for his judgment to come sometime in the next few days, Uber’s self-driving program lives on.

Sounds like this is going to drag on and on and even though the judge heavily favors Waymo's case, he's not going to do anything until they find a "Let's rob Google's tech kekekeke" email

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I know this isn't how the law works etc. but for me if Lewandowski doesn't do at least a short stretch in prison for that it seems like why have the law. A fine's not going to mean much and judges can and sometimes do work that way. Agree that how it will impact Uber is more up in the air but Uber is probably just circling the drain until the Saudi money runs out regardless.

Seems like Theranos is going to stop circling the drain pretty soon. They settled with a hedge fund investor and probably the only questions left are 1) how much of their remaining cash is going to people suing them/lawyers vs. current employees and 2) who is going to poach the misshapen horn off the unicorpse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pangstrom posted:

I know this isn't how the law works etc. but for me if Lewandowski doesn't do at least a short stretch in prison for that it seems like why have the law.
This is a civil suit. You don't go to jail for losing a civil suit; you might lose a later criminal trial if the evidence from the civil suit is relevant. IDK if this suit, if lost, can lead to a criminal trial, but because this is a civil suit, Lewandowski can't be sentenced to anything except losing a lot of money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is a civil suit. You don't go to jail for losing a civil suit; you might lose a later criminal trial if the evidence from the civil suit is relevant. IDK if this suit, if lost, can lead to a criminal trial, but because this is a civil suit, Lewandowski can't be sentenced to anything except losing a lot of money.

This distinction is important, because its why OJ Simpson got to walk around a free but completely bankrupt man.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

For a country with such a strong capitalist tradition, you'd think the US would be more aggressive in putting the boots to white collar criminals.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

While normally you really shouldn't presume that someone pleading the fifth did something criminal, given what is known about this case I think Levandowski is very likely assuming criminal charges are incoming at some point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Volcott posted:

For a country with such a strong capitalist tradition, you'd think the US would be more aggressive in putting the boots to white collar criminals.
Not when said capitalists write our laws

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Feinne posted:

While normally you really shouldn't presume that someone pleading the fifth did something criminal, given what is known about this case I think Levandowski is very likely assuming criminal charges are incoming at some point.

Again: yes you can. This is a civil case. You can infer against someone pleading the fifth in a private lawsuit.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not when said capitalists write our laws

Yeah, but it's the capitalists that suffer when there's not a level playing field.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

The second option is a gray area, and I'm not a lawyer so someone with more expertise may be able to shed more light on it, BUT - Levandowski was primarily employed by Waymo to develop and build a self driving car, which includes any technology that goes into it. If he developed his own solution on company time (even if outside of work hours), it could be argued that Google still owns the rights to it. More to the point, it looks really bad for him and for Uber if he was in fact negotiating with them to deliver a product or technology while still employed at Google/Waymo, especially if any feature/functions existed in the Google solution and weren't otherwise in widespread use. Frankly, even if it's a legal gray area, Google still has a very strong case here. It's just a matter of what can be proven.
The third option from that list is...unlikely.
Every software/hardware company I have ever worked for has had you sign a statement when you joined defining which things you create, on your own time or otherwise, belong to the company. I've seen everything from "everything creative you do belongs to us, even if it has nothing to do with the computer industry" -- I literally couldn't get HP to sign a statement that this didn't apply to publishing fiction -- to "everything you do belongs to us, unless you get permission first". I have never, ever seen "If it's in your free time, go wild!"

I would be shocked clean out of my socks if a key man like Levandowski had a statement that said anything other than "We own your body and soul, that's why we're paying you the big bucks/stock options."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jigglr

Name and shame. Whoa.

ISeeCuckedPeople
Feb 7, 2017

by Smythe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Every software/hardware company I have ever worked for has had you sign a statement when you joined defining which things you create, on your own time or otherwise, belong to the company. I've seen everything from "everything creative you do belongs to us, even if it has nothing to do with the computer industry" -- I literally couldn't get HP to sign a statement that this didn't apply to publishing fiction -- to "everything you do belongs to us, unless you get permission first". I have never, ever seen "If it's in your free time, go wild!"

I would be shocked clean out of my socks if a key man like Levandowski had a statement that said anything other than "We own your body and soul, that's why we're paying you the big bucks/stock options."

Don't worry turns out the contract isn't binding due to a technicality.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is a near certainty that he had to sign something to that effect, but I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere yet. Completely agree though, I would be surprised if he didn't sign that type of contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's very infrequently enforced. There's a ton of very successful startups out there, spawned from some of the bigger names in tech, that literally rebuilt some internal tool they developed at their prior company as their new startup's product. Anti-poaching clauses are the same -- they sound draconian in practice, but end up getting routinely ignored with no consequences.