Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I've always been of the opinion that Goku is such a savant that he really is one of the only ones who could fully learn Kaioken, much less push it past its intended limit of x2. With the reference we have now in Super, it's more clear to see that U7 is a graveyard universe because its GoD and Kaioshin are useless, leaving mortals to do all the heavy lifting, forcing them to shake the Heavens just to avoid complete universal genocide. This started with Goku learning a handful of godtechs from King Kai, like the Kaioken, leading towards the disaster we have now of Super Sayan Blue PLUS that on top of it. Vegeta probably forgot it was even a tech after Namek and getting his skull caved in by it on Earth, and I wouldn't doubt he likely sees it as both something signature to ol' carrotbrains, and something he'd need the decades and desperation Goku had when first learning it to have any chance of mastering its use. Why bother leaping for a tech like that when you likely have plenty of your own improvement schemes? And hey, Vegeta is clearly not as much into it as he used to be with Bulla born. Maybe he just doesn't care and is happier to be stronger than Goku at his base than using some life-murder tech.

On top of that, I don't think the Kaioken is actually a useful and complete technique - I think Goku is just SUCH a goddamned persistent and reckless loon that he alone could turn a stupidly dangerous and not useful tech (nearly kill you for x2 power) into something devastating. It's like he went for a build in a game centered around minmaxing super expensive and normally worthless skills, and then he decided "gently caress it I'll just take the cap off let's go x3 not like I ain't died before" and the rest is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Black August posted:

On top of that, I don't think the Kaioken is actually a useful and complete technique - I think Goku is just SUCH a goddamned persistent and reckless loon that he alone could turn a stupidly dangerous and not useful tech (nearly kill you for x2 power) into something devastating. It's like he went for a build in a game centered around minmaxing super expensive and normally worthless skills, and then he decided "gently caress it I'll just take the cap off let's go x3 not like I ain't died before" and the rest is history.
If I remember the comics right, King Kai was like 'ok this is real big poo poo... you can, IF YOU HAVE TO, use this to x2 - but I forbid you to go any further'.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Buu should be able to use Kaio-ken, he can use any technique he has seen once.

Cell should have known it too, since Gero still had his drones flying around during his fight with Vegeta. You'd think he would have at least tried to Kaioken x1000 when Gohan was kicking his rear end, instead of going with copying Trunks's lovely bulk up move.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not even sure what x2 is supposed to do. Isn't regular Kaioken already a x2?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

That's a discrepancy that's existed forever apparently

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
"Vegeta seeing Kaioken as unique to Goku" is a way more plausible reason for him to not want to learn and use the Kaioken than "Vegeta can't figure it out"(Vegeta figured out how to go Super Saiyan on his own and then figured out how to go Super Saiyan Blue without the aid of the ritual that's supposed to make SSG even possible, he's pretty bright) or "The technique is too dangerous"(Vegeta has literally killed himself to try to win a fight at least once before, he's not big on self preservation when the chips are down and he needs to win a fight).

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 3, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kanos posted:

(Vegeta has literally killed himself to try to win a fight at least once before, he's not big on self preservation when the chips are down and he needs to win a fight).

That was true. But now he has two kids he wants to raise. It's why I said some posts ago I think Vegeta would be surprised how much he's changed, and happy for it, whereas there's horror as he looks over to see Goku and he hasn't changed since the day they met

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea vegeta probably views the kaioken in the same way he does stuff like the kamehameha

regardless of whatever the real reason might be, kaioken and ss3 are the only unique moves goku has left at this point and ss3 hasn't won a fight even once in the entire series

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Vegeta doesn't want to use kaioken because he'd rather surpass it in raw power without relying on a skill to get by.

He won't, but that's pretty much how everything works for him

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea vegeta probably views the kaioken in the same way he does stuff like the kamehameha

regardless of whatever the real reason might be, kaioken and ss3 are the only unique moves goku has left at this point and ss3 hasn't won a fight even once in the entire series

That's not true, SSJ3 Buutenks kicked Gohan's rear end

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

SSj3 always struck me as overclocking your computer to the point it has about a minute before it blows its top and bursts into flame - and realistically, all that power in that small a time frame just isn't enough against any opponent with any sense or skill to just let the form wear the Saiyan the hell out. It felt like Goku was just trying to push SS as far as he could for the heck of it and found out it's a dead end by stage 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

SSj3 always struck me as overclocking your computer to the point it has about a minute before it blows its top and bursts into flame - and realistically, all that power in that small a time frame just isn't enough against any opponent with any sense or skill to just let the form wear the Saiyan the hell out. It felt like Goku was just trying to push SS as far as he could for the heck of it and found out it's a dead end by stage 3.

Goku even pretty much said that. It's only used when he wants to delay Buu or insanely desperate. Gotenks uses it because Gotenks is an idiot.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aurora posted:

That's not true, SSJ3 Buutenks kicked Gohan's rear end

that doesn't count c'mon now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Goku even pretty much said that. It's only used when he wants to delay Buu or insanely desperate. Gotenks uses it because Gotenks is an idiot.

He also said he could have beat Buu if he tried so either Goku is unreliable completely or everything he says is correct.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well Goku specifically said that SSJ3 is impossible to use if you're alive.

If you're dead it doesn't matter!

So really Goku is just a massive fuckup no matter what, as Super has gone to great lengths to tell us

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also said he could have beat Buu if he tried so either Goku is unreliable completely or everything he says is correct.

He also didn't know how much of a pain in the rear end it actually was to kill Buu. Kid Buu was weaker than Fat Buu and he still couldn't seal the deal in SSJ3.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

*probably* and that was due to him only seeing Majiin Buu literally just take all of his attacks while saying "oooooh!", never powering up at all, and doing a kamehameha because he saw Goku do it.

Next time Goku fights him, he gets rung out because he has no idea what Buu can or will do when he bothers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

multijoe posted:

He also didn't know how much of a pain in the rear end it actually was to kill Buu. Kid Buu was weaker than Fat Buu and he still couldn't seal the deal in SSJ3.

kid buu was when he said he could have beaten him if he'd tried but he hosed around for a while to give vegeta a turn because goku's an idiot

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

kid buu was when he said he could have beaten him if he'd tried but he hosed around for a while to give vegeta a turn because goku's an idiot

No he said he thought he could beat Kid Buu because he thinks he could have beaten Fat Buu, but wanted to give the kids a turn.

Then he loses and starts running of stamina and pretty much was like "Oh wow this is way more exhausting and harder then I thought." so Vegeta had to distract him while they came up with a plan to win.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you're getting things mixed up

he tells piccolo that he could have beaten fat buu but didn't because he's dead and he shouldn't be fixing everyone's problems anymore (then gotenks and gohan gently caress it up and he has to do it anyway). later, against kid buu, he tells vegeta that he ran out of power loving around so that vegeta could have a turn. that's why he spends a bunch of time trying and failing to power back up before they come up with the spirit bomb

e: tho maybe I'm getting things mixed up and that last part is anime filler or something. the more I think about it, the less sure I am that I'm right

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 3, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

but didn't because he's dead and he shouldn't be fixing everyone's problems anymore

And this is exactly where the timeline split, where he should have stayed dead and let everyone else step up, instead they dragged him right back to the living world and now Beerus and Shin gotta goddamn live with the consequences

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Black August posted:

And this is exactly where the timeline split, where he should have stayed dead and let everyone else step up, instead they dragged him right back to the living world and now Beerus and Shin gotta goddamn live with the consequences

Considering in the other timeline every single person in existence is actually dead instead of just threatened with death...

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Considering in the other timeline every single person in existence is actually dead instead of just threatened with death...

Still Beerus and Shin's fault, we saw those rings we got one timeline erased so far DO I HEAR FOUR?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Black August posted:

He tried to let them step up and handle it and they failed utterly.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

you're getting things mixed up

he tells piccolo that he could have beaten fat buu but didn't because he's dead and he shouldn't be fixing everyone's problems anymore (then gotenks and gohan gently caress it up and he has to do it anyway). later, against kid buu, he tells vegeta that he ran out of power loving around so that vegeta could have a turn. that's why he spends a bunch of time trying and failing to power back up before they come up with the spirit bomb

e: tho maybe I'm getting things mixed up and that last part is anime filler or something. the more I think about it, the less sure I am that I'm right

Him powering up to try to beat him is in the manga

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

multijoe posted:

Be a cause he couldn't maintain the form and spent to much time bullshitting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kelp Plankton posted:

Vegeta doesn't want to use kaioken because he'd rather surpass it in raw power without relying on a skill to get by.

He won't, but that's pretty much how everything works for him

Vegeta surpassed kaioken when he learned to go Super Saiyan.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If this were a card battle manga, SSJ3 would be "cast everything in your hand, but pitch your deck into the graveyard." Power at any cost!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Wouldn't have pegged Goku as running a Necropotence deck, but it makes a certain amount of sense. Dude's real acquainted with death at this point.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SSJ3 is the Canyonero of powerups

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kanos posted:

He tried to let them step up and handle it and they failed utterly.
The first time Goku tried to pass the torch, Gohan burnt his hand on it and nearly dropped it. I can't blame him for giving up on trying after the second time the kid did literally the exact same thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not even sure what x2 is supposed to do. Isn't regular Kaioken already a x2?
Kaioken is 1.5X PL. Half as powerful as X2.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I think another secret to their amazing ascension over the decades is the fact that Earth has one Z-rank natural resource on hand - the goddamn Dragon Balls, which are shards of the Namek Dragon Balls, which are basically poop pebbles from the surface of the Super Dragon Balls they used their dragon slugman sorcery to chip out when nobody was looking, which only U6 and U7 share, and presumably U6 doesn't even HAVE their own lesser Dragon Balls (or maybe they do, with more now that Earth was restored, and this becomes a trump card).

Point of which is, Goku and many others have come back to life. A lot. Without resurrection, Goku would have never been able to learn a technique only known by a God of the afterlife, or defeat Frieza, and etc etc etc they've all done. They've basically been their crutches to mantle god tasks, and it's left Goku a monster from zenkais powered by death, Saiyan transformations, time travel creating nightmare scenarios, forbidden techniques pushed a hundred ranks past their expected output, cross pollination of the most powerful forces in the history of their nightmare universe, its every deity and god on speed dial. So you ask why is nobody pointing a gun at every Namekian for being responsible for this ultimately oh wait no that's right it's because Beerus had a loving JOB HE DIDN'T DO

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also Whis is an enabler.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

Also Whis is an enabler.

I'd say he's just doing his job by only judging and preventing instant universe-enders, but I'm also getting an itchy feeling he's become just fallen enough from earthly delights that he might side with them in some crisis.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

I think another secret to their amazing ascension over the decades is the fact that Earth has one Z-rank natural resource on hand - the goddamn Dragon Balls, which are shards of the Namek Dragon Balls, which are basically poop pebbles from the surface of the Super Dragon Balls they used their dragon slugman sorcery to chip out when nobody was looking, which only U6 and U7 share, and presumably U6 doesn't even HAVE their own lesser Dragon Balls (or maybe they do, with more now that Earth was restored, and this becomes a trump card).

Point of which is, Goku and many others have come back to life. A lot. Without resurrection, Goku would have never been able to learn a technique only known by a God of the afterlife, or defeat Frieza, and etc etc etc they've all done. They've basically been their crutches to mantle god tasks, and it's left Goku a monster from zenkais powered by death, Saiyan transformations, time travel creating nightmare scenarios, forbidden techniques pushed a hundred ranks past their expected output, cross pollination of the most powerful forces in the history of their nightmare universe, its every deity and god on speed dial. So you ask why is nobody pointing a gun at every Namekian for being responsible for this ultimately oh wait no that's right it's because Beerus had a loving JOB HE DIDN'T DO

Thats why the show is called Dragonball dummy

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Thats why the show is called Dragonball dummy

Yes but now you know the extent and the size of the stones at stake, you truly have beheld the dragon's driggins, and know what havoc they have wrought

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Whis joining up with the ningen because of his love of food is an acceptable character motivation

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Whis will stand up to his dad when the poo poo hits the fan and will defend the filthy ningen because they invented ramen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

Whis will stand up to his dad when the poo poo hits the fan and will defend the filthy ningen because they invented ramen.

this and in the culture of angels it is also literally an acceptable motivation

• Locked thread