Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
← irrationally fond of that train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Oh, same here.

It's just that it's too nice.

I'd be sitting there in the grass carpeted viewing lounge

Or perhaps enjoying it's lovely fireplace

Or listening to the piano in the lounge

Before returning to my simple, yet elegant quarters

And I'd just feel so unworthy of being there.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 3, 2017

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

mrfart posted:

RACISM!

Seriously, this oval office again.

here are some pictures of the new shiki-shima sleeper train:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2017/may/03/japan-luxurious-shika-shima-sleeper-train-in-pictures
I'd say it's very Japanese, but that's probably a bit racist.

Quoting for the next page.

Here's half the photos:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I was curious if there was a route long enough to enjoy that thoroughly and learned Japan is basically the size of the US East coast from Maine to the border of Florida. Hmm

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, it's about the area of California but longer:

Fun fact: China's almost the exact same size as the US. I made a geography post in the China thread about that a while back. It's only smaller by the size of Minnesota!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Elsa posted:

I was curious if there was a route long enough to enjoy that thoroughly and learned Japan is basically the size of the US East coast from Maine to the border of Florida. Hmm

These are the routes I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I like how they only show pictures of the SUPER AMAZING SHIKI SHIMA SUITE, of which there is only one and is probably the one that costs $10,000+.

Also that train kind of goes through some terribly non-luxurious and or rushed parts of Japan without seeing the cool parts of those places on a super rushed 4 day schedule.

You get to see Nikko and be jammed with all of the rest of the elementary and middle school students at toshogu with a giant horde before getting back to your private overly expensive accomodation. Then... stop by Hirosaki and Aomori which I guess are some boring Japanese towns (hint: all of the cool stuff there is outside of the city). Followed by... Noboribetsu and Hakodate, which are crowded by Chinese people and tour buses before getting back to your super expensive suite in a train car that still is the size of a business hotel.

Don't get me wrong, all of the cities this train goes to are super loving cool and the countryside is amazing, but this is JR's excuse trick people with much money to pay up, or specifically for train nerds which i guess is kinda cool.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JR has done it before and it's usually 100% booked.
http://www.cruisetrain-sevenstars.com/

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ntan1 posted:

I like how they only show pictures of the SUPER AMAZING SHIKI SHIMA SUITE, of which there is only one and is probably the one that costs $10,000+.

Also that train kind of goes through some terribly non-luxurious and or rushed parts of Japan without seeing the cool parts of those places on a super rushed 4 day schedule.

You get to see Nikko and be jammed with all of the rest of the elementary and middle school students at toshogu with a giant horde before getting back to your private overly expensive accomodation. Then... stop by Hirosaki and Aomori which I guess are some boring Japanese towns (hint: all of the cool stuff there is outside of the city). Followed by... Noboribetsu and Hakodate, which are crowded by Chinese people and tour buses before getting back to your super expensive suite in a train car that still is the size of a business hotel.

Don't get me wrong, all of the cities this train goes to are super loving cool and the countryside is amazing, but this is JR's excuse trick people with much money to pay up, or specifically for train nerds which i guess is kinda cool.

So basically, the perfect holiday for the busy Japanese salary man.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Yeah, they're copying off of Seven Stars Kyushu. Except the Kyushu one seems cooler and visits way more interesting places. But Seven Stars gets a huge number of train nerds on it, along with some blocks of reservations by JTB for people who are too lazy to plan their own transportation and/or dont know any better.

ocrumsprug posted:

So basically, the perfect holiday for the busy Japanese salary man.

A better holiday for a salary man would just to be to reserve a beautiful onsen ryokan and call it a day.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
paging chapo thread

Japanese railfans are hardcore

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Teikanmi posted:

Feast your eyes upon the best post in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x0kq-ESnMM

this guy would not last half a day in china. skin as thin as tissue. soft, soft, soft.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Great Autismo! posted:

this guy would not last half a day in china. skin as thin as tissue. soft, soft, soft.

lol seriously

I was in Japan three weeks and if I combined every weird rear end HALOU type interaction of that entire vacation it'd be less than like, two hours of walking around in China.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Why doesn't he just say "Thanks, I've lived here for 18 years though" in Japanese? Then I saw it was Ryan Boundless and it made sense.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Grand Fromage posted:

lol seriously

I was in Japan three weeks and if I combined every weird rear end HALOU type interaction of that entire vacation it'd be less than like, two hours of walking around in China.

Likewise I spent three weeks there late last year and maybe because I never left the really built up areas for any great stretch but the only "OMG foreigner" interactions I had was with those immense lines of primary school kids in matching caps you see everywhere which was really just adorable. Everyone has to tell the milk white, red-haired gajin their name in English!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't even have that. The first time I went to Japan was just Tokyo, people didn't care about my existence but nobody spoke a word of English anywhere so it was a weird week of isolation. But it was nice after being stared at/hassled in Korea.

The next time I went to Osaka, which was similar except a lot more English and friendliness. Also everyone in Osaka speaks Korean so I could get around with that.

This last trip I was all over, from big cities to tiny ones, and it was different again. Not a single person the entire time gave a gently caress about whitey, I was just treated normally. After years of China it was so refreshing. And there was a ton more English spoken, I didn't have any issues at all with communication the whole time. I figured it'd be like that in the big cities but I wanted to see rural Japan and expected some stares but, nope. Not a single weird reaction. Even kids didn't pay any attention to me.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Teikanmi posted:

"Note I have lived in Japan for 18 years and do not look like a tourist"

*is walking down the street holding a camera filming everything for an hour straight*

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

*is walking down the street holding a camera filming everything for an hour straight*

So he truly is Japanese

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I think I've told this story before but I was in Yokohama Chinatown while studying abroad and some old couple comes up to me and asks where the train station was in Japanese. I responded in Japanese that it was two blocks behind and then to the right, and then the wife smacked her husband and told him "See, even foreigners give better directions than you."

It was really cute :3

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Teikanmi posted:

1:03 so close figuring out his life's #1 issue lmao.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

I think I've told this story before but I was in Yokohama Chinatown while studying abroad and some old couple comes up to me and asks where the train station was in Japanese. I responded in Japanese that it was two blocks behind and then to the right, and then the wife smacked her husband and told him "See, even foreigners give better directions than you."

It was really cute :3

Lol cucked

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I just had a tomato chuhai that I picked up because I thought it was watermelon. There's no way I can take another sip.

What the gently caress Japan?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

simplefish posted:

I just had a tomato chuhai that I picked up because I thought it was watermelon. There's no way I can take another sip.

What the gently caress Japan?

Let me tell you about the traditional drink of my homeland, Clamato juice.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone with Ryan's patreon that can share his one unexpected trick to turn the tables on the Japanese man? Asking for a friend.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Anyone with Ryan's patreon that can share his one unexpected trick to turn the tables on the Japanese man? Asking for a friend.

I'm guessing he makes some sarcastic remarks but does it in that same meek way and the guy he's talking to has no clue that he just got Boundlessed.

jamoncorona
Apr 9, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Quoting for the next page.

Here's half the photos:

Snowpiercer prototype looking good.

batmansdrawers
Jan 1, 2006

Y-Y-Y-Yoda
Ryanboundless is just a whiny, bitter gently caress that needs to get out. I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

LyonsLions posted:

I'm guessing he makes some sarcastic remarks but does it in that same meek way and the guy he's talking to has no clue that he just got Boundlessed.

Probably, "gently caress you, racist", or "gently caress gaijin hunters".
You know, "You got BOUNDLESSED, NIHONJIN!" type stuff.

edit: haha.. he has a Pretty Ugly Little Liar entry...dude sounds like scum.

batmansdrawers fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 7, 2017

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
:nws: https://twitter.com/HellaBrett/status/861876982983696384 :nws:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are those things like fleshlights or something? Onaholes?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yep

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wtf goons why wouldn't you wanna gently caress a battleship

batmansdrawers
Jan 1, 2006

Y-Y-Y-Yoda
gently caress weaboos.
I wasn't sure if Josip on Deck was joke or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgE4nV5tirQ

I hate tourists and I hate you if you have just arrived to teach English to fulfill your secret gay naked Naruto obession and pick up loose gaijin hunters at a dive gaijin bar.

Actually, I hate everyone.

quote:

Im looking for a Bento Box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii (cute)). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a Bento Box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I think if there's more awareness about Ryan's videos on 2ch etc, he will get either attacked in the street or deported.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What is 2ch?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
2chan, it's like a Japanese-language 4chan.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh. I should have figured that out. I was thinking it was some other video site I hadn't heard of.

Seems like a bad place to hang out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh. I should have figured that out. I was thinking it was some other video site I hadn't heard of.

Seems like a bad place to hang out.
My understanding is that it is exactly like 4chan in every way, or perhaps 4chan became like it: this includes the nationalist rage.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
2ch and 2chan are completely different things

2ch is the most popular forum for taking about things in Japan. millions of people use 2ch and there are tons and tons of boards for every topic you can possibly think of, down to insanely niche stuff. it's extremely mainstream, though obviously biased toward nerds since it's online. if anything, reddit is a better comparison.

2chan is an image board and is the same thing as 4chan

the guy above was originally talking about 2ch, the one that lots of people use and would talk about those dumb videos

themoreyouknow

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

This isn't an illustration.
It's a plastic model kit painted to look like one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

"Note I have lived in Japan for 18 years and do not look like a tourist"

I'm the part at the end where he says he's going to TURN THE TABLES on this dude and get everyone to stand up and applaud

Also that dude seems like just some awkward weirdo, not a sinister racist mastermind? Like, I haven't been to Japan or China so I can't really say how bad it is but I feel like a lot of this stuff must be white expats projecting their own racism onto the people around them, right?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread